G1 FONTS! Post them here!!!!

Search This thread

cdi90

May 2, 2009
On the cp line a errormsg came:

cp: cannot stat 'sdcard/london/*': No such file or directory

BUT the directory exists definitely and its called london! Its locatet on the sdcard. Wth, where is the problem? xD I hope someone want to help me.

best g. from austria

androidd

Apr 24, 2009
Albuquerque
teknogeek.org
Here is the Font and Icons I made/altered/added to my G1

AndroidIcons-1.jpg

JDMr2

Mar 18, 2009
What files theres only one file.

Well, one should be regular type font and the other would be the bold type font. If there's only one file, you probably only have the regular type font. What you can do is use the same file for both DroidSans.ttf and DroidSans-Bold.ttf. Dont worry about the bold file not actually being the bold type because the phone will still display bold font as bold.

androidd

Apr 24, 2009
Albuquerque
teknogeek.org
Well, one should be regular type font and the other would be the bold type font. If there's only one file, you probably only have the regular type font. What you can do is use the same file for both DroidSans.ttf and DroidSans-Bold.ttf. Dont worry about the bold file not actually being the bold type because the phone will still display bold font as bold.

Yeah All I did to get my font was rename the modified font to the same name that is in the fonts folder replaced the original with the new and the system did the rest. Real easy!

nathan.tran

Apr 25, 2009
Update on the procedure to replace system fonts

My G1 has JF1.5 firmware. I had some problem with the procedure to replace system fonts in the (recovery) console. After some research, I got it working. Here is an update on the procedure.

- Rename font files to DroidSans.ttf and DroidSans-Bold.ttf, place in a subfolder on sdcard. In this example, the subfolder name is newfont.
- Boot to recovery
- Press Alt+X to get into console mode
- Press <Enter>
- Type the following commands:

mount -rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard
cp /sdcard/newfont/* /system/fonts
umount sdcard
umount system
reboot

Nathan

ei8htohms

Feb 8, 2009
NYC
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Android Logo (inspired) font (updated 6-13-09)

Hello All,

I've gained a tremendous amount of knowledge and enjoyment from reading these forums, so it gives me great pleasure to be able to "give something back" to the community and I hope some folks can use and enjoy it.

I became a little obsessed with getting my hands on the Android logo font (the one on the animated splash screen) and, although it looked briefly like some version of it was going to be available when Lukster on Android Community posted something about it some time back, nothing ever came of it that I was able to find, so I finally decided to make my own.

I used the .png pics from that thread as a general guideline for how the capital letters should look and then just took some creative liberties with the lower case letters and numbers. I tried it first using Fontstruct (a very fun online way to make fonts if you've never made one before) but the results were not so hot, so I finally taught myself just enough FontForge to get some results I can live with. This is my first font ever, so please be kind, but please do offer any advice or criticism you might have for how it can be improved!

DroidLogo-sample.jpg

I built this right on top of the original DroidSans.ttf files so that I could be sure that all the characters commonly (and uncommonly) used by the phone would be supported. Then I had to copy all the characters into a brand new font file to strip off all of the no-longer accurate copyright/trademark information from Ascender and Google and I suspect that the overall presentation of the font may have been compromised in the transfer process due my near complete ignorance of all the various instructions and constraints, etc. that are variously embedded into a proper/professional font file. I will continue to go back and try to tweak some of these properties over time and will uploaded the latest versions, but what I have now seems to be working and is reasonably attractive and tolerably legible. All of the capital and lower case letters as well as the numerals are of my own creation (although obviously heavily inspired by the ANDROID logo and the font Lukster posted previously).

Both TrueTypeFont (TTF) files are attached as a Zip file simply for the sake of uploading it to the forum, so you'll want to unzip them first. Then you can ADB or fastboot them to your phone after renaming them to DroidSans.ttf and Droidsans-Bold.ttf or you can copy them to your SD card and load them from terminal, recovery terminal or with a Gscript as discussed in the font threads available on XDA.

Although plenty of folks simply load a single font file renamed as both DroidSans and DroidSans-Bold, I noticed that doing so basically disables the bold functionality on the phone, so I prefer loading both the regular and bold versions so that text will format appropriately, especially where the contrast is intended for emphasis. Thanks to the advice of anddep and the template and signing/set-up advice from Stericson I've also uploaded an update.zip of the fonts. Just rename it to update.zip in the root of your SD and Alt-S it from recovery mode and it'll replace the font files for you.

It is not by any means the most legible font you'll ever find, so the chances of folks leaving it on their phones for any period of time seems pretty slim, but it might be useful for some wallpapers, program UI screens, splash screens, etc. Feel free to use this font for any NON-commercial uses you see fit, understanding what it is and what it is not; just mention that you got it from ei8htohms when you do so.

_john

[Edit 5-24-09: This version is much improved with regards to regularity of character height, etc.]

[Edit 6-13-09: Corrected some missing glyphs that created formatting anomalies in app drawer, etc.]

[Edit 3-12-11: Added a version with (hopefully) correctly marked regular and bold versions for use on Mac or other PCs. Let me know if it doesn't work!]

[Edit 7-29-12: Added an update.zip package with Italic and Bold Italic versions suitable for ICS and JB.]

Attachments

• Droid_Logo_Font_6-13-09.zip
    129.9 KB · Views: 29,263
  • DroidLogo_fonts_6-13-09_update.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 47,975
  • DroidLogo_Font_031211.zip
    130.1 KB · Views: 18,813
  • FontPack-ICS-DroidLogo.zip
    391.1 KB · Views: 6,373
Last edited:

DeadBody79

Jan 20, 2009
Graz
Please, someone make a update.zip for JF1.5 !!

@ei8htohms:

Does your Font has symbols like ä ö ü € ?

SoTacMatt

Jan 7, 2009
Tacoma, WA
My G1 has JF1.5 firmware. I had some problem with the procedure to replace system fonts in the (recovery) console. After some research, I got it working. Here is an update on the procedure.

- Rename font files to DroidSans.ttf and DroidSans-Bold.ttf, place in a subfolder on sdcard. In this example, the subfolder name is newfont.
- Boot to recovery
- Press Alt+X to get into console mode
- Press <Enter>
- Type the following commands:

mount -rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard
cp /sdcard/newfont/* /system/fonts
umount sdcard
umount system
reboot

Nathan
+1 Worked perfectly!
Now I have my Star Trek movie font!! (for now!)

burton14e7

Jun 22, 2007
Am I understanding correctly that I can use any TT font and rename it and follow the instructions for the Home+Power button reboot?

SoTacMatt

Jan 7, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Am I understanding correctly that I can use any TT font and rename it and follow the instructions for the Home+Power button reboot?

I use the three buttons to reboot, then hold down the home button.
Then follow those instructions. I have multiple folders on my card, all the names renamed. You can put two copies of the font in there; and rename one DroidSans.ttf and rename the other DroidSans-Bold.ttf

Yes, use what ttf you want. Not all come out clear when small.

Last edited:

anddep

Feb 15, 2009
Murfreesboro, TN
Here's Droid Logo font as an update.zip... avoid typing :) credit goes to ei8htohms for posting the .tff file.

Attachments

• DroidLogo_update.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 725

JackD3ath

Jan 4, 2009
Satellite Beach, Florida
Great font!

I really like this font. I have been using it since you posted it and I really enjoy looking at the phone now.

Attachments

• device12.jpg
    device12.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 527
  • device6.jpg
    device6.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 372
  • device14.png
    device14.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 479
  • device.jpg
    device.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 397

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android Logo (inspired) font (updated 6-13-09)

Hello All,

I've gained a tremendous amount of knowledge and enjoyment from reading these forums, so it gives me great pleasure to be able to "give something back" to the community and I hope some folks can use and enjoy it.

I became a little obsessed with getting my hands on the Android logo font (the one on the animated splash screen) and, although it looked briefly like some version of it was going to be available when Lukster on Android Community posted something about it some time back, nothing ever came of it that I was able to find, so I finally decided to make my own.

I used the .png pics from that thread as a general guideline for how the capital letters should look and then just took some creative liberties with the lower case letters and numbers. I tried it first using Fontstruct (a very fun online way to make fonts if you've never made one before) but the results were not so hot, so I finally taught myself just enough FontForge to get some results I can live with. This is my first font ever, so please be kind, but please do offer any advice or criticism you might have for how it can be improved!

DroidLogo-sample.jpg

I built this right on top of the original DroidSans.ttf files so that I could be sure that all the characters commonly (and uncommonly) used by the phone would be supported. Then I had to copy all the characters into a brand new font file to strip off all of the no-longer accurate copyright/trademark information from Ascender and Google and I suspect that the overall presentation of the font may have been compromised in the transfer process due my near complete ignorance of all the various instructions and constraints, etc. that are variously embedded into a proper/professional font file. I will continue to go back and try to tweak some of these properties over time and will uploaded the latest versions, but what I have now seems to be working and is reasonably attractive and tolerably legible. All of the capital and lower case letters as well as the numerals are of my own creation (although obviously heavily inspired by the ANDROID logo and the font Lukster posted previously).

Both TrueTypeFont (TTF) files are attached as a Zip file simply for the sake of uploading it to the forum, so you'll want to unzip them first. Then you can ADB or fastboot them to your phone after renaming them to DroidSans.ttf and Droidsans-Bold.ttf or you can copy them to your SD card and load them from terminal, recovery terminal or with a Gscript as discussed in the font threads available on XDA.

Although plenty of folks simply load a single font file renamed as both DroidSans and DroidSans-Bold, I noticed that doing so basically disables the bold functionality on the phone, so I prefer loading both the regular and bold versions so that text will format appropriately, especially where the contrast is intended for emphasis. Thanks to the advice of anddep and the template and signing/set-up advice from Stericson I've also uploaded an update.zip of the fonts. Just rename it to update.zip in the root of your SD and Alt-S it from recovery mode and it'll replace the font files for you.

It is not by any means the most legible font you'll ever find, so the chances of folks leaving it on their phones for any period of time seems pretty slim, but it might be useful for some wallpapers, program UI screens, splash screens, etc. Feel free to use this font for any NON-commercial uses you see fit, understanding what it is and what it is not; just mention that you got it from ei8htohms when you do so.

_john

[Edit 5-24-09: This version is much improved with regards to regularity of character height, etc.]

[Edit 6-13-09: Corrected some missing glyphs that created formatting anomalies in app drawer, etc.]

[Edit 3-12-11: Added a version with (hopefully) correctly marked regular and bold versions for use on Mac or other PCs. Let me know if it doesn't work!]

[Edit 7-29-12: Added an update.zip package with Italic and Bold Italic versions suitable for ICS and JB.]