Signature image restrictions

Search This thread

GldRush98

Jun 3, 2006
Taylorville, IL.
www.GldRush98.com
I know this board is HUGE and I'm just one voice, but I wanted to get this out there.

Signature images should be disallowed.
That, or sig image sizes need to be heavily restricted.
It has gotten really out of hand as of late and makes the forum a scroll-fest. It is unnecessary and downright frustrating when surfing via a phone or tablet.

Case and point... 2 posts. One with one word, one with a very short sentence. 2 posts take up the ENTIRE screen. Come on...

xda-huge-sigs.jpg

Neither image adds anything useful to either poster's content and neither image is really useful for anything else.
Even more annoying is some user's sig images eat up an entire page by themselves. When half a thread's space is eaten up with worthless sig images, it just makes the board look like a cluttered mess.

Venting over.

Reactions: AskinSavascisi

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
you are right about images being a bit large in some cases which annoys me too when i am on PC.. but you mentioned its hard to navigate in site due to this at mobile and tablet.. there are apps for mobiles and tablets for that reason.. so why use site through browser when you have app which doesnt show these signatures?

there are some images which are too large which makes it hard.. but the above 2 doesnt seems to be that big.. but nice suggestion.. may be you should say this here to get mods/admins attention better..
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1987254

a.cid

RC / Retired Mod / Portal Team
Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
You should report it to your fsm, with a link to the user profiles...
Do not engage yourself, as people may not always agree with you...

Just report to a mod, works everytime for me :thumbup::)

This signature space is dedicated to the OT Thanks feature. RIP OT thanks, you shall be missed.

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S10
I know this board is HUGE and I'm just one voice, but I wanted to get this out there.

It has gotten really out of hand as of late and makes the forum a scroll-fest. It is unnecessary and downright frustrating when surfing via a phone or tablet.

Case and point... 2 posts. One with one word, one with a very short sentence. 2 posts take up the ENTIRE screen. Come on...
Neither image adds anything useful to either poster's content and neither image is really useful for anything else.
Even more annoying is some user's sig images eat up an entire page by themselves. When half a thread's space is eaten up with worthless sig images, it just makes the board look like a cluttered mess.

Venting over.

The first signature doesn't look too big IMO.
The post would be of same length without the signature.
Can't really say something about the second signature, as it does not end at the end of your screenshot.
So that could in deed be too big.

Extremely big signature should be reported to the forum specific maoderator (FSM), but if you feel that it is only "a little bit" too big, than you can PM the user in a friendly way.
I have done this several times like: "You have a very nice signature and a really good looking picture in there. Maybe you can even improve your signature by using a smaller picture or optimizing the arrangement of the parts in your signature so that your post can be read better. And this could also save some space in the threads as well."

All users that I PMed like this answered very pleased that they feel thankful for my tips and changed their signatures.
Maybe I was lucky ... but if you provide your help to optimize their sigantures, most people will at least tolerate it IMO.

Reactions: eushaun99

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
All users that I PMed like this answered very pleased that they feel thankful for my tips and changed their signatures.
Maybe I was lucky ... but if you provide your help to optimize their sigantures, most people will at least tolerate it IMO.

You are right.. this has worked for me too.. told 2 guys.. they both happily did it..

I did tell they might get into trouble for having such large signature though;)

**Nothing is True... Everything is Permited**
Muffins.. Yay, i want muffins!

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
Here's the same shot on my 1920x1080 screen...

s.png

...so what you have to complain about others don't, but I do think sig pics/banners should have a limit, your picture is nothing compared to this...

2jg1p1c.png

...now that is taking the p*$s!

Last edited:

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S10
Here's the same shot on my 1920x1080 screen...
...so what you have to complain about others don't, but I do think sig pics/banners should have a limit, your picture is nothing compared to this...
...now that is taking the p*$s!

Yes, you found the extreme example.
Saw this guy's signature already in another thread ... he seems to like his phone ... and his own face :D
But some other users may not like to see this large picture below each of his posts.
Here a [HIDE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/HIDE] would be a solution ... for him to keep his big picture and for all other to not see it :eek:

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
We do police image sizes to an extent. if one is larger than it needs to be, we'll ask the member to reduce the size or remove it.

But remember you can hide signatures from being shown in your profile settings. http://xdaforums.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

The problem with this 'solution' is that you are effectively encouraging people to hide signatures. However ... a lot of the longer-serving members have useful links in their sigs, the sort of things that a noob should see, notice and read to avoid asking stupid questions or breaking the rules of XDA. Hiding signatures means this information is lost.

Chukudu

Nov 15, 2012
Cochin
Many complain they can't see my signature hidden in spoilers.. But I can see.. And when we use xda in 2013 beta 1024 mode.. We can see.. Why is that so?

Sent from my LT18i using xda app-developers app

DSF

Apr 16, 2007
mowned.com
What I don't like is that I've observed people that put (LONG TEXT) signature in THE POST, tough with spoiler.. And I've seen an user with high posts count.
BUT the problem is that you just takes precious database space with duplicate/redundant data.

Signatures should be put ONLY in signature section and not in the post.

PS: the in-post signature I've seen really contains pretty long text (about used phone, rom, kernel, etc) and in most cases the signature length is higher than the actual post information.
PS2: I'm not talking about tapatalk signatures "Posted using Tapatalk". Even If I do not agree with those too, because there are work-arounds. Eg: extract tapatalk information from post's user agent [I doubt that Tapatalk doesn't send custom UA in combination of actual mobile). This way you can save a lot of DB tables space.

roofrider

Jul 24, 2011
Bangalore, IN
What I don't like is that I've observed people that put (LONG TEXT) signature in THE POST, tough with spoiler.. And I've seen an user with high posts count.
Signatures should be put ONLY in signature section and not in the post.

PS2: I'm not talking about tapatalk signatures "Posted using Tapatalk". Even If I do not agree with those too, because there are work-arounds. Eg: extract tapatalk information from post's user agent [I doubt that Tapatalk doesn't send custom UA in combination of actual mobile). This way you can save a lot of DB tables space.

Really? If you don't mind, can you post a link to such an in-post sig?

roofrider

Jul 24, 2011
Bangalore, IN
:what:
That is absurd...he can't really be copy pasting all that crap into all his posts!
I still think it's his tapatalk sig..or maybe something is wrong with him.
Err..not all his posts contain that.
Either way it's not right, just report him.
I found him..but i'll let you do the honors. :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We do police image sizes to an extent. if one is larger than it needs to be, we'll ask the member to reduce the size or remove it.

But remember you can hide signatures from being shown in your profile settings. http://xdaforums.com/profile.php?do=editoptions
    Many complain they can't see my signature hidden in spoilers
    I'd like to complain that I can.

xda-huge-sigs.jpg

Venting over.

Venting over.

The first signature doesn't look too big IMO.
    The post would be of same length without the signature.
    Can't really say something about the second signature, as it does not end at the end of your screenshot.
    So that could in deed be too big.

Extremely big signature should be reported to the forum specific maoderator (FSM), but if you feel that it is only "a little bit" too big, than you can PM the user in a friendly way.
    I have done this several times like: "You have a very nice signature and a really good looking picture in there. Maybe you can even improve your signature by using a smaller picture or optimizing the arrangement of the parts in your signature so that your post can be read better. And this could also save some space in the threads as well."

Their signature extended takes up my full screen, which is ridiculous, I think some People don't grasp the point of a signature.

Ha yep they sure don't.
    @Chukudu seriously, remove that gif. Also reduce the font size pls.