[ROM] [r02 - 2015-12-13] Flashcast-AutoRoot

Search This thread

extrem0

Feb 7, 2012
I ran this on my eureka rom Chromecast last night and the script seemed successful and then said rebooting, I saw flashcast on my tv but now it just shows white "chromecast..." letters on a black screen. I had it plugged into power on the TV's usb port during the process is there a chance it needed more power during the flash and got corrupt? Any ideas to try to revive it?
What white chromecast?
How long did you wait in recovery (flashcast)?
This new method is taking 5-10 minutes inside the recovery in order to flash an update. It used to take less than a minute, but I this auto-root method is more demanding.

ImCoKeMaN

Jan 8, 2007
What white chromecast?
How long did you wait in recovery (flashcast)?
This new method is taking 5-10 minutes inside the recovery in order to flash an update. It used to take less than a minute, but I this auto-root method is more demanding.
I never unplugged in recovery, it did it's own rebooting. I set up a flashcast usb reverted to stock eureka and am trying again with a better power configuration, it is now in flashcast again we'll see if it's better this time =)

Update: booted, saw the chrome logo, looks to be all good now. Glad it was easy enough to recover for anyone that has already rooted with a power USB OTG, but might not be bad to have a warning for others that might be using tv power that a real power supply would be a good idea.

Last edited:

extrem0

Feb 7, 2012
I never unplugged in recovery, it did it's own rebooting. I set up a flashcast usb reverted to stock eureka and am trying again with a better power configuration, it is now in flashcast again we'll see if it's better this time =)

Update: booted, saw the chrome logo, looks to be all good now. Glad it was easy enough to recover for anyone that has already rooted with a power USB OTG, but might not be bad to have a warning for others that might be using tv power that a real power supply would be a good idea.
I have three chromecasts powered by TV USB ports and updated them successfully. It's really odd what happened to yours. At least it was easy to recover it. That's one of the best features of rooted chromecasts. Having a modified recovery.

ImCoKeMaN

Jan 8, 2007
I'm sure some tvs supply more power than others too, anyway glad it's up and maybe this will help others.

ImCoKeMaN

Jan 8, 2007
Nah....5Volts is 5 Volts! LOL
The issue is the risk involved with using the TV which has a remote and can EASILY be shut off accidentally while it's in the process of an update.
I think you are joking but just to be clear for others reading. I definitely mean amps not volts and there is a difference. I know the raspberry pi would not run off this port and there is tons of info about those power supplies. My TV was not at risk of being turned off by remote as it wasn't the main one either =)

Last edited:

ghowse

Sep 2, 2013
Has anyone managed to get the latest update booting into the web interface? I'm wary of messing around with telnet as root.

Pietplezier

Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere in Holland.
For the record:
Currently on Eureka rom 44433.001

Telnet with PuTTY and execute these 3 commands one by one:
busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/install.sh -O /cache/install.sh
busybox chmod +x /cache/install.sh
/cache/install.sh

That should be sufficient? Also i try'd SSH instead of Telnet, bus whats the username/pass?
A web-interface should be rocking awesome, sadly enough i have not that much coding skills, i guess someone else have? :)

ddggttff3 and other teamEureka members, you are the best!

extrem0

Feb 7, 2012
For the record:

busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/install.sh -O /cache/install.sh
/cache/install.sh

That should be sufficient? Also i try'd SSH instead of Telnet, bus whats the username/pass?
A web-interface should be rocking awesome, sadly enough i have not that much coding skills, i guess someone else have? :)

Actually the latest Google Ota is later than that. I don't recall exactly but it is something like 46xxx.
Yes, only these 3 commands are needed in order to update.
Ssh credentials are:
login: root
no password.

Has anyone managed to get the latest update booting into the web interface? I'm wary of messing around with telnet as root.

But once you use this auto-root method you'll only be able to access your chromecast via telnet (no ssh nor Web panel for now).

Last edited:

ghowse

Sep 2, 2013
For the record:

/cache/install.sh

Thanks. I've done the update successfully. As mentioned in the OP, SSH is no longer available in the new version, only Telnet.

OP also says:
Q: How do I setup the EurekaROM Web Panel?
A: By default this ROM has no Web Panel, but this can be added by bootstrapping onto the custom startup script, but I will leave this up to you.

This is where I have ground to a halt because I can't find a text editor for use within Telnet. Also, I'm too scared to edit a script offline and copy back to the CC. Fear of bricking!

So ..... any ideas how to bootstrap the WebPanel?
Cheers
Geoff

ghowse

Sep 2, 2013
Thanks. I've done the update successfully. As mentioned in the OP, SSH is no longer available in the new version, only Telnet.

OP also says:
A: By default this ROM has no Web Panel, but this can be added by bootstrapping onto the custom startup script, but I will leave this up to you.

This is where I have ground to a halt because I can't find a text editor for use within Telnet. Also, I'm too scared to edit a script offline and copy back to the CC. Fear of bricking!

So ..... any ideas how to bootstrap the WebPanel?
Cheers
Geoff

So far, I have discovered that vi is in fact registered with Busybox, so at least I now have an editor. My problem now is to find out how to enable the webserver, and then create a script to load it at boot.

Or maybe there is an existing script with the command #commented out? I don't know and it's driving me crazy.

If you are out there ddggttff3, I hope you are following this clumsy story.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Another piece of the puzzle? https://github.com/team-eureka/Eureka-Panel

Should I try a busybox wget https://github.com/team-eureka/Eureka-Panel ?

Reactions: extrem0

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
So far, I have discovered that vi is in fact registered with Busybox, so at least I now have an editor. My problem now is to find out how to enable the webserver, and then create a script to load it at boot.

Or maybe there is an existing script with the command #commented out? I don't know and it's driving me crazy.

If you are out there ddggttff3, I hope you are following this clumsy story.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Another piece of the puzzle? https://github.com/team-eureka/Eureka-Panel

Should I try a busybox wget https://github.com/team-eureka/Eureka-Panel ?
I may be wrong here....
But it's my understanding that there is no Web Panel so to enable one first you would have to create it (I suppose you could lift is from Eureka Source), and then find some way of putting it on the Device to be called on boot.

ddggttff3

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
I may be wrong here....
But it's my understanding that there is no Web Panel so to enable one first you would have to create it (I suppose you could lift is from Eureka Source), and then find some way of putting it on the Device to be called on boot.

Exactly this, the web panel was based around EurekaROM, so to get it working not only would binaries need to be added (and linked) but you would need to re-compile and modify the Eureka Panel to work with the new binary locations, and new DNS settings configuration on this ROM.

No one ever said it was an easy task. :angel:

ghowse

Sep 2, 2013
I may be wrong here....

I was hoping the web panel was just hidden away by TE guys having a bit of fun, similar to an "Easter egg". I can see why it is not so easy to implement.

No problem. I can live without the web panel. Many thanks to TeamEureka for their great work.
Cheers
Geoff

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
Works like a champ. Expect to get a read error notice during the flash process; the issue is innocuous so no worries. There is a post above noting that others saw it as well.

Thanks also for the custom bootstrap script ability. Fits the bill for pulling and starting all the other toys I wanted up and running (e.g., small dnsmasq daemon and whatnot).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is it?

This is my final gift to the Chromecast community, called Flashcast-AutoRoot. This is a special recovery image for the Chomecast v1 device that will allow it to take official Google OTA's, and then root them during the flashing process. This means you get to keep root, while staying up to date with Google images!

Features:

• Auto roots any official Google OTA sent to your device
    • Supports automatic Recovery Image updates
    • Spawns a root telnet server
    • Supports a custom startup script
    • DHCP and Custom DNS
    Q and A:

Q: How do I setup a custom startup script?

A: Just write your script to a file at /data/user_boot_script.sh, and set the executable bit for the file. Once done, it will be loaded on next boot.

Q: How do I setup custom DNS servers?

A: Put the IP addresses of the DNS servers in a file at /data/dns.conf, one per line. On next boot these will be used for DNS requests. Note if you are coming from EurekaROM, it will already have your old settings in place. :)

A: By default this ROM has no Web Panel, but this can be added by bootstrapping onto the custom startup script, but I will leave this up to you. ;)

Q: Can Google unroot my device in the future?

A: Technically yes, but they would have a hard time doing so. To get technical, the bootloader partition can't be updated from the stock OS due to the kernel hard-setting it to "ro". While the recovery image can be flashed from the OS, the root process replaces the included recovery image with it's self to prevent any update. The recovery is also unable to update the bootloader partition, so you should always be able to re-flash using a OTG cable. With that said, I have also put in an update method so I can push updates to the recovery image if needed, but at this time I have no plans on doing so unless required, so use this image at your own risk.

Installation:
    To install this, all you need to do is SSH/Telnet into an already rooted Chromecast, and run the following commands:
    Code:
    /cache/install.sh
    Note:
    If this is ran on a different ROM than Eureka-ROM there may be an error when ran, but rest assured the flashing process will still work. :)

GPL/Source:
    https://github.com/team-eureka/flashcast-flasher/tree/newmode-alpha
    I will take a look into this over the next day or so and see if I can get a fix out, or find a way around the issue.

EDIT: I believe I found a method to fix this, will update if/when the fix is deployed.

EDIT2: Sadly I was unable to find a way to fix this, it looks like the new bootloader uses a new kernel layout, or has some check in the kernel and not initramfs preventing boot :( Until a GPL is out for release 1.23 I can't verify this or really dig for any potential workaround.
    Deleting, I think you already provided it with the boot.img from 1.22 if I understood correctly. Thanks

ZaneChua, updated using the modded 1.23 with 1.22 Kernel. It worked, it is now on the 80438 version.
    Let´s hope the next update won´t mess with it again. Until then we have to wait.
    Just to clarify. I started with the Hubcap Eureka and then I took the risk and entered the commands only, no script no factory reset.
    Now it is easy to copy and paste to the telnet terminal.
    I will leave the file that I used in my server for a day so users can install. It is a small hosting plan so not that much bandwidth available.
    *** Remember, I did that and it worked, but I'm not responsible for any damage this can make to your CC ****
    An thanks to ZaneChua for finding the 1.22 Kernel (boot.img)
    Copy and Paste in you telnet:

Code:
    busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/releases/autoroot-recovery-r02.img -O /data/temp/root-recovery.img
    busybox wget http://mcpdigital.com/android/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip -O /data/temp/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip
    busybox cp /data/temp/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip /cache/ota.zip
    flash_image --scan-all recovery /data/temp/root-recovery.img
    // *** WAIT FOR 5 SECONDS 
    reboot recovery
    Update: Did the same procedure in other 2 CCs.
    So now I went from stuck at Chromecast.... straight to the update:
    Step1: create a HubCap Eureka USB from image
    Step2: install the HubCap (OTG+USB, Reset Button, and Power) * no need to root CC again so it is like the second step of the original Eureka.
    Step3: wait until it updates itself from 17977 to 44333 , it shouldnt take long
    Step4: telnet your CC and run the busybox commands as showed by ZaneChua
    Step5: enjoy

MCP
    Just so it doesn't affect you mcpdigital.

I made a hosted version.

To install this, all you need to do is SSH/Telnet into an already rooted Chromecast, and run the following commands:
    Code:
    busybox wget http://chromecastfix.centralus.cloudapp.azure.com/install.sh -O /cache/install.sh
    /cache/install.sh
    That looks like it comes from Eureka and not Google....
    Is it as simple as maybe Eureka just got a bad copy of the firmware?
    Or have you tried that already?

Did you see the link? It's from Google. Not Eureka. The chromecast device codename is eureka.

Following adammw's suggestion.

He didn't really give instructions or anything to help you do this though. Something in the boot.img has changed and therefore breaks autoroot. I decided to use the boot.img from 1.22.80438 to replace the original one in 1.23.84839.

You need to reinstall eureka rom and be on a clean installation of eureka rom. Means you need to do a factory reset before you try any of the steps below.

You can find the new OTA from: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3jenDHaF8AJMFZMbHVMNmFyeFE
    The script is slightly changed to : https://gist.github.com/zanechua/672f741de2add4186e59dd1973663305

You still need to modify the script, host it on your own http server and modify the script accordingly.

You could however do it manually but this may/may not break your chromecast. I'm not at fault here if you do.

I HAVE NOT PERSONALLY TESTED THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS. THESE COMMANDS ARE FOR EXPERTS ONLY. IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THESE COMMANDS DO, DO NOT DO IT. THIS CIRCUMVENTS A LOT OF CHECKS IN THE SCRIPT.

The commands would be:
    busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/releases/autoroot-recovery-r02.img -O /data/temp/root-recovery.img
    busybox wget http://fromsomewhere/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip -O /data/temp/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip
    busybox cp /data/temp/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip /cache/ota.zip
    flash_image --scan-all recovery /data/temp/root-recovery.img
    (Wait 5 seconds after flashing of the recovery)
    reboot