Car charger Modding

Search This thread

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
I noticed a few complaints on this forum and others about Goggle Navigation being too much of a drain on the handset even with it plugged into a car charger.

My suspicion is that this is down to badly made car chargers, and on a previous occasion using the Testing menu, I noticed that my own charger was being reported by the phone as USB.

So I set about trying to rectify this, using my awesome :)rolleyes:) knowledge of how the phone recognises what it's being charged with and an 'I don't care if I kill the charger, it was free' attitude.

I took it apart and tested continuity between the 2 middle (data) pins on the USB plug, there was none, and the problem was identified. I simply flipped the board over and soldered these 2 pins together and reassembled the charger.

Took it out to the car, plugged it in and lo and behold, the Testing menu now reports that it is plugged into an AC source! As my phone is fully charged and I don't have any trips planned right now I don't know how much real world difference there is, but it's looking promising, at least the phone now knows it can draw 1000mA instead of 500mA, and for 5 minutes 'work' it was worth doing.

I didn't bother with a how-to as I figured chances of someone having the same charger as me were slim, but pics aren't a problem:

Here is my universal USB charger with the cover removed:

chargermod-1.jpg

and the reverse side with the 2 pins soldered together:

chargermod-2.jpg

Probably doesn't tell you a huge amount unfortunately, but to be honest that's because it really is a simple procedure with not much to tell.

Last edited:

dahui9

Jun 14, 2007
Cocoa/Tressure Coast
where did you get your universal charger? I'm wanting to chop one up and hide the nexus dock on the side of my GTI instead of blocking my 6" double din monitor..

Almost like you can do your radar detector..

-Chalrie

dahui9

Jun 14, 2007
Cocoa/Tressure Coast
thanks I'll look it up, hopefully most universal ones are designed the same usb wise then I could dremel my dash and have a easy access usb port for nav.

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
Fail!

Despite the mod, it's still not enough to charge/sustain the N1 with Google Navigation running (screen on full brightness). Guess it's just not man enough to produce the required 1A.

wolf39us

Apr 25, 2008
I have a USB port installed in my car as per the headunit

at full brightness and while using google navigation AND streaming Slacker via bluetooth... I do not have a -% charge

in fact, the N1 stays fully charged at all times... (however if I have less than 100%, it does take a long time for the % to go up... might take 5 minutes for 1% increase)

sooo I'm not sure what the problem is with the car chargers (as I don't use one)