[Q] XT861 - Problems with Fastboot / RSDlite?

Search This thread

saadow

Apr 24, 2014
Hi, newb here, I'm having some trouble.

So I'm not positive what device I have, it claims to be a Droid 3 when I look up the IMEI, it tells me it's a Motorola Milestone 3, it seems to have a similar kind of Radio Lock to the Droid 2 Global, and it's carrier information is PCTI.

I'm trying to flash Solana 2.3.6-5.5.1.1 and, whenever I go through the normal XML and try to flash, it gets done with MBM and the other stuff, but when it starts to try and flash Image files (anything .img) it hangs, and fails. Then the Bootloader has the title AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S) (Flash Failure)

Now, from another post (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2174433) I got the awesome idea to remove any references to .img in the XML, and just do the beginning part, it looks like this:

Code:
<steps interface="AP">
		<step operation="flash" partition="mbm" filename="allow-mbmloader-flashing-mbm.bin" MD5="072e86d6f0bf608d36d68e8a6a167a88" />
                <step operation="reboot-bootloader" />
                <step operation="flash" partition="mbmloader" filename="mbmloader.bin" MD5="f402e5e66e6267a2e416decc1b827268" />
                <step operation="flash" partition="mbm" filename="mbm.bin" MD5="97706c215fce01e8ac9f7d9428a035fd" />	
		<step operation="flash" partition="cdt.bin" filename="cdt.bin" MD5="c2ebfc5cd02bf87b372f818a871712d5" />
		<step operation="erase" partition="cache" />
  		<step operation="erase" partition="userdata" />
  		<step operation="flash" partition="lbl" filename="lbl" MD5="b7714d7ed32ae556201405e239d43447" />
  		<step operation="flash" partition="logo.bin" filename="logo.bin" MD5="06c07c2970460a4e656a3206859a3617" />
  		<step operation="flash" partition="ebr" filename="ebr" MD5="820ca594391b56282485bbf1af20da99" />
  		<step operation="flash" partition="mbr" filename="mbr" MD5="ad0d2e66dd6770bd9fb77fc2f0c8d154" />
  		<step operation="flash" partition="devtree" filename="device_tree.bin" MD5="40435eaf876d217734cbab91c234f9d1" />

Now I know this is not the whole thing, it's just to show you part of it and what "actually works."

This removes the (flash failure) tag and allows me to reboot the phone without it hanging on the bootloader, this might help other people too, so, hopefully it does!

Now, I try to flash in the individual image files (See, I tried to do that with the chinese radio.img to try and unlock my radio) but every time I try to use an image file in fastboot (I'm using the moto-fastboot.exe) it always hangs, and fails to flash the file. It'll just sit there for hours doing nothing.

To explain above better, the program output for the cmd moto-fastboot flash radio radio.img is:

sending 'radio' (14406 KB)...

And it just sits there, I eventually use ctrl-c to break the program out and get back to the command line. Quickly tapping the button to shut the phone off then back on puts it back at the bootloader with (Flash Failure) like written above.

This is all on an old Windows XP Professional machine using maybe usb2.0? Maybe? I doubt it, lets assume its not. Unless the phone wouldn't connect and interface at all with something prior to usb2.0, then I must have it because it connects and works with the moto drivers.

Can anybody help me out? I just would like to get this phone working on my cheep walmart gsm plan. Expensive phones make me cry because I'm poor :crying:

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Don't need to root to flash stock firmware

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Is there a label under battery? If so what model number xt861?

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

I would flash it with moto-fastboot.exe
see my Unbrick Moto device with moto-fastboot.exe

Reactions: saadow

saadow

Apr 24, 2014
Did you root 1st?

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

Yes I did, I believe I'm still rooted, I'll have to double check, I remember doing it with, I think the motofail exploit using a .jar file I picked up, it worked right off the bat.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

see my (I cannot post external links, sorry! Had to modify the quote)

Yes there is, I'll find that for you in a second:

Right beside the model field it has the following: XT861, need any other numbers from there?

I've tried to do any kind of flashing with Fastboot and run into the same problem, but I will review the document you're linking to and try the process step by step again, I'll post results in a reply.

saadow

Apr 24, 2014
Sorry @sd_shadow , it doesn't seem to be working, I'm waiting on the flash to go through but it's not, I literally put in moto-fastboot flash boot boot.img, the output is sending 'boot' (8192 KB)... and there's no change in output on the phone in the fastboot screen, no progress bar, nothing, just, white letters on black, battery ok, ok to program, Transfer Mode: USB connected. If it doesn't make any progress in a few minutes I'll probably ctrl-c out like I have been so I can reboot the phone and use that method I found to get out of the fastboot loop.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Don't think there is anything that happens on phones screen, just sending and writing on pc.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

If pc doesn't say writing, file likely is not compatible

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

You shouldn't need to flash boot, preinstall, system...just radio and then fix or replace /system/build.prop that matches radio

Reactions: saadow

saadow

Apr 24, 2014
Don't think there is anything that happens on phones screen, just sending and writing on pc.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

You shouldn't need to flash boot, preinstall, system...just radio and then fix or replace /system/build.prop that matches radio

That's a little disturbing, if the file isn't compatable, then what file do I need? Lets say I wanted to flash on stock firmware again, there's not too many options for the xt861 for 2.5.6 firmware... and I tried to flash the radio, same problem, from both the supposed original firmware from the firmware site, and the chinese one, both just hang and do nothing. ADB works, but Fastboot seems to never go past sending. RSD does a sending step, hangs, and then fails, just using fastboot fails too. The only thing that works sending through to fastboot, is if I remove all of the commands that contain .img in the xml from the original firmware, that stops the fastboot loop bug.

Is there perhaps somehow I can use the shell in ADB in SU to do what Fastboot is trying to do?

saadow

Apr 24, 2014
That's a little disturbing, if the file isn't compatable, then what file do I need? Lets say I wanted to flash on stock firmware again, there's not too many options for the xt861 for 2.5.6 firmware... and I tried to flash the radio, same problem, from both the supposed original firmware from the firmware site, and the chinese one, both just hang and do nothing. ADB works, but Fastboot seems to never go past sending. RSD does a sending step, hangs, and then fails, just using fastboot fails too. The only thing that works sending through to fastboot, is if I remove all of the commands that contain .img in the xml from the original firmware, that stops the fastboot loop bug.

Is there perhaps somehow I can use the shell in ADB in SU to do what Fastboot is trying to do?

I may have found an answer, I did a little bit of digging on Google, and I may have been barking up the wrong tree the entire time, nTelos is also related to PTCI, so it may stand to reason that I want the nTelos version of the firmware and not the other one, I didn't even think of that as a possibility until I mulled over what you were saying Shadow. Thanks for kicking a few neurons in the rear end and helping me think. If this doesn't work though, is there any other reason why a file in fastboot wouldn't send a file? I did find out I don't have USB 2.0 ports, I have one somewhere on the computer but I don't know where, and it wasn't a well documented machine when I got it. It was built by a local company.

saadow

Apr 24, 2014
Yep, okay, that was just the ticket, everything from the nTelos firmware is flashing in RSD, that's a good sign! If I can't succeed with this, I can unroot it and flash it back to stock, then sell it as a sim unlocked phone. Unless selling it rooted might be better. I'd rather it work though. So now that I did this, I need to figure out how to flash the radio.img.

Learning moment for anyone who is newbish like me, if you don't see your carrier included in the name on a firmware for your device, search the name of the carrier in your phone and the name of one of the carriers responsible for that particular firmware you're looking up. It will save you a lot of aggravation!

saadow

Apr 24, 2014
Okay, got it!

The start of my whole problem had to be the firmware, whoever I bought it from had some manner of yokel firmware on there that didn't behave the way it should have, it didn't ever want to flash and so finally I found the right firmware, got it on, and then every step worked like it was supposed to

So everyone knows, the nTelos version of the phone works with the simple method of flashing the chinese radio.img

I used this link here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1406812

I also made sure to change the following lines to my build.prop:

Code:
ro.mot.phonemode.vzwglobalphone=1
ro.telephony.default_network=7

to

Code:
ro.mot.phonemode.vzwglobalphone=0
ro.telephony.default_network=3

You'll want to reboot the phone into fastboot first (the instructions don't include that, but it would be self explanatory to anybody but a newb) and then follow their instructions to the letter, it'll go quick and painlessly (so much more painlessly than the droid 2 global was)

Thanks everybody for the help!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you root 1st?

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

see my Unbrick Moto device with moto-fastboot.exe