[APP] SGS Tools

Search This thread

Fr4gg0r

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 4, 2010
View the sourcecode on google Code!
Don't let the app die, develop for it/include its features in another app.
Latest version (4.1.9) can be found on page #37

Hi,
I have written an app, which contains useful functions specially for the Galaxy S imho.
It can do the following things:
-Secret codes list (contains at the moment 31 codes)
(Don't worry clicking around, there will appear a popup if you have selected factory/hard reset ;) )
-System clean up: this means you can delete all system apps you don't like with 1 click. It will remove the .apk, the .odex and the data directory.
It won't let you delete apps that will "brick" your phone, so very useful for android beginners.
-MarketFix: This sets the Fingerprint in the build.prop to JF3 (2.1) and cleares the market cache. After a day you should see 120 hits when searching for "documents".
Useful if you are using a test Firmware and don't see copy protected apps in market.
-Homescreen Settings: In this Menu you can set the default screen (press the home button when you are already on the home screen) and the screen count.
Only works with some Firmwares! Works for example with JM5, JM7.
-Move SGS Tools to System: This will save the app on the device if you do a factory/hard reset. You can also undo this.
-Run a script.
This menu can run scripts, which are written as .txt files.
Simply write every command in a new line and put the script.txt to /sdcard/sgstools.
It checks the inputstream of the process, for example if you want to notify the user about progress with "echo /sdcard/test removed", this will appear in the progressdialog. It also checks the errorstream and will display, if for example a command could not be found.
- Enable/Disable boot/shutdown sound or place custom sounds

-Last but not least, you can add shortcuts to homescreen, which let you run commands. Useful for example as shutdown, reboot recovery, reboot, etc.
There's a bug in 2.2 Firmwares, which won't let you pick custom icons for shortcuts! (I tested it on 2.2 Emulator and also anycut won't set an icon on 2.2 Firmwares..)

That's it. Hope you like it.
(Sorry, it's not on the market - I don't have a market account yet :( )

PS: Press Menu Button to access further menus.
PPS: It uses a custom menu
PPPS: Rotate the device, and you will see in some menus a rotation animation!
PPPPS: German users can also look in this http://www.android-hilfe.de/samsung-galaxy-s/33978-sgs-tools-app-zum-schnellen-bearbeiten.html.

Ver 3.0: - now translated into english
Ver 3.0.1 - Bugfix: added permission to install shortcuts
Ver 3.1
- Activity handling improved
-new tool for setting boot sound / shutdown sound
Ver 3.1.1:
-MarketFix improved: now show better warnings, for example if busybox is not installed.
-Now a .nomedia file is created in the sgstools folder.
Ver 3.2
-Bugfixes
Ver 3.2.1
-Bugfixes: -Warning when removing system apps now in english
-Standard icons fixed for creating shortcut. (sry, but the broken icons will be only fixed if you deinstall the old version before)
Ver 3.3 :D
-When removing system apps, the .apk and the .odex will be backuped in /sdcard/sgstools
Ver 3.4:
changes
edit: I forgot, please deinstall the old version, so you can read the disclaimer
Ver 3.5.1:
.prop editor bugfix
added 2 small scripts: mount /system ro/rw
command shortcuts now with basic commands (shutdown, reboot, mount..)

Ver 3.6
- script modul update, can now execute .txt scripts wrapped in a .zip
Ver 3.6.1
- script modul can now handle .zips with several scripts in it
Problems with busybox should be fixed now! :)

Ver 3.8.3
-some useful scripts
-backup & restore your homescreen

Newest version is 4.1.0
-added some tw launcher mods
-modded contacts.apk
-modded browser
-hacked camera.apk
-reverse scripts

If you want to donate something for this free app (Paypal) you can use the following link:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=XEMXTUYAZVUGY

Attachments

• secret_codes.jpg
    secret_codes.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 22,290
  • homescreensettings.jpg
    homescreensettings.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 16,180
  • system_cleanup.jpg
    system_cleanup.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 17,178
  • propEditor.jpg
    propEditor.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 14,690
  • createshortcut.jpg
    createshortcut.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 12,846
  • scripts.jpg
    scripts.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 9,897
  • upgradeStockApps.jpg
    upgradeStockApps.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 9,672
Last edited:

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Nice one!
You could also add a option to change system sounds, bootscreens etc. (very SGS specific)

lajson

Sep 30, 2006
Sweden
Yeah requieres root, but not for the secret codes. :)

Very nice app :) I have just one remark about secret codes, it seems that the secret codes executes directly which is very handy but in a case of "HARD RESET", Factory data reset" I think the user should been warned about danger this commands can do before one pinch those links

Can you implement that in your app ?

LevitateJay

Dec 18, 2009
Wow! Looks amazing. Is the rotation animation just in that application or across the whole device?

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Very nice app :) I have just one remark about secret codes, it seems that the secret codes executes directly which is very handy but in a case of "HARD RESET", Factory data reset" I think the user should been warned about danger this commands can do before one pinch those links

When users execute the Factory data reset code they come in a window in which they explicitely have to agree by clicking a button (same window btw when you trigger factory data reset from the settings->security menu... which also don't present a warning btw)

Hard reset is tricky on the other hand. You never wanna trigger that one :)

Fr4gg0r

Aug 4, 2010

Already implemented, look at attached picture. Or did u meant a second warning?

@Hard Reset:
I needed that 2 days ago, in order to use the lagfix. I had not enough space on data and only a hard reset (or manually removing much files) could solve that. :)

Wow! Looks amazing. Is the rotation animation just in that application or across the whole device?

Rotation is only in that application, sry. For whole device you would have to modify the Framework, which isn't possible because it's not open source.
You would have to build a rom from aosp to implement that.

Attachments

• warning.jpg
    warning.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 4,302
Reactions: MjLvMj

lajson

Sep 30, 2006
Sweden
Already implemented, look at attached picture. Or did u meant a second warning?

@Hard Reset:
I needed that 2 days ago, in order to use the lagfix. I had not enough space on data and only a hard reset (or manually removing much files) could solve that. :)

OK, I was just testing some secret codes in your app and saw that they were executed directly and then I hadn't guts to pinch the hard reset and factory reset links and hence was my question to you.

But now I know better and can bee shore that they can't do some major damage if I stupidly do a mistake and pinch those links :)

BTW a very nice touch the sliding menu :D

As a suggestion you could maybe implement APN backup as well

Fr4gg0r

Aug 4, 2010
Custom Bootanimation seems not to be possible at the moment..

But I will add enable/disable Bootsound later this day. :)

LevitateJay

Dec 18, 2009
Rotation is only in that application, sry. For whole device you would have to modify the Framework, which isn't possible because it's not open source.
You would have to build a rom from aosp to implement that.

So because Samsung's version of Android is closed source we can't implement it but say in Cyanogen Mod it would be possible? This is one of the major features I want to see in Android, adds a nice visual touch.

Fr4gg0r

Aug 4, 2010
I think it should be possible in a Cynogen Mod.
But it's not said, that the system is powerful enough to handle that with heavy views..

larryccf

Nov 23, 2009
okay, for the noobs here (meaning me), can someone do a quick "how to" install instuction

tks - and i am rooted

rafalense

Sep 20, 2008
Amsterdam
'Homescreen Settings' doesn't work for me

I set 'default: 2' and 'amount of screens: 5'. After press apply and reboot, no results. If I press home key, always show me the first one (0)

Fr4gg0r

Aug 4, 2010
'Homescreen Settings' doesn't work for me

I set 'default: 2' and 'amount of screens: 5'. After press apply and reboot, no results. If I press home key, always show me the first one (0)

I have already heard this by other people.. the problem is, for me it always worked. :rolleyes:
Are you really using JM5 or JM7?
To exclude misunderstanding:
If you press the home button from anywhere, you will always taken to first screen. This cannot be changed.
But if you already are on homescreen and then press the home button, it should take you to the screen you have set in my app.

@larryccf
Simply copy the apk to sdcard.
Then launch the stock myfiles app, or whatever file explorer, and click on the .apk.
The file explorer should initiate the installing then.

Last edited:

Fr4gg0r

Aug 4, 2010
Update to Version 3.1:
-now you can de or activate the boot / shutdown sound and also replace them with custom sounds.
-I rewrote the Activity handling, which had been very bad! Now you won't have the press several times the back key. :)
The new .apk can be found in the first post.

I'll attach 2 example bootsounds..

Attachments

• sounds.zip
    193.2 KB · Views: 122

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    View the sourcecode on google Code!
    Don't let the app die, develop for it/include its features in another app.
    Latest version (4.1.9) can be found on page #37

Hi,
    I have written an app, which contains useful functions specially for the Galaxy S imho.
    It can do the following things:
    -Secret codes list (contains at the moment 31 codes)
    (Don't worry clicking around, there will appear a popup if you have selected factory/hard reset ;) )
    -System clean up: this means you can delete all system apps you don't like with 1 click. It will remove the .apk, the .odex and the data directory.
    It won't let you delete apps that will "brick" your phone, so very useful for android beginners.
    -MarketFix: This sets the Fingerprint in the build.prop to JF3 (2.1) and cleares the market cache. After a day you should see 120 hits when searching for "documents".
    Useful if you are using a test Firmware and don't see copy protected apps in market.
    -Homescreen Settings: In this Menu you can set the default screen (press the home button when you are already on the home screen) and the screen count.
    Only works with some Firmwares! Works for example with JM5, JM7.
    -Move SGS Tools to System: This will save the app on the device if you do a factory/hard reset. You can also undo this.
    -Run a script.
    This menu can run scripts, which are written as .txt files.
    Simply write every command in a new line and put the script.txt to /sdcard/sgstools.
    It checks the inputstream of the process, for example if you want to notify the user about progress with "echo /sdcard/test removed", this will appear in the progressdialog. It also checks the errorstream and will display, if for example a command could not be found.
    - Enable/Disable boot/shutdown sound or place custom sounds

-Last but not least, you can add shortcuts to homescreen, which let you run commands. Useful for example as shutdown, reboot recovery, reboot, etc.
    There's a bug in 2.2 Firmwares, which won't let you pick custom icons for shortcuts! (I tested it on 2.2 Emulator and also anycut won't set an icon on 2.2 Firmwares..)

That's it. Hope you like it.
    (Sorry, it's not on the market - I don't have a market account yet :( )

PS: Press Menu Button to access further menus.
    PPS: It uses a custom menu
    PPPS: Rotate the device, and you will see in some menus a rotation animation!
    PPPPS: German users can also look in this http://www.android-hilfe.de/samsung-galaxy-s/33978-sgs-tools-app-zum-schnellen-bearbeiten.html.

Ver 3.0: - now translated into english
    Ver 3.0.1 - Bugfix: added permission to install shortcuts
    Ver 3.1
    - Activity handling improved
    -new tool for setting boot sound / shutdown sound
    Ver 3.1.1:
    -MarketFix improved: now show better warnings, for example if busybox is not installed.
    -Now a .nomedia file is created in the sgstools folder.
    Ver 3.2
    -Bugfixes
    Ver 3.2.1
    -Bugfixes: -Warning when removing system apps now in english
    -Standard icons fixed for creating shortcut. (sry, but the broken icons will be only fixed if you deinstall the old version before)
    Ver 3.3 :D
    -When removing system apps, the .apk and the .odex will be backuped in /sdcard/sgstools
    Ver 3.4:
    changes
    edit: I forgot, please deinstall the old version, so you can read the disclaimer
    Ver 3.5.1:
    .prop editor bugfix
    added 2 small scripts: mount /system ro/rw
    command shortcuts now with basic commands (shutdown, reboot, mount..)

Ver 3.6
    - script modul update, can now execute .txt scripts wrapped in a .zip
    Ver 3.6.1
    - script modul can now handle .zips with several scripts in it
    Problems with busybox should be fixed now! :)

Ver 3.8.3
    -some useful scripts
    -backup & restore your homescreen

Newest version is 4.1.0
    -added some tw launcher mods
    -modded contacts.apk
    -modded browser
    -hacked camera.apk
    -reverse scripts

If you want to donate something for this free app (Paypal) you can use the following link:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=XEMXTUYAZVUGY
    Update Version: v1.3

FOR THOSE THAT ARE SEARCHING FOR THE FULL "/sgstools" DIRECTORY WITH ALL WORKING .TXT SCRIPTS AND STOCK JPY FULL-WORKING BACKUPPED APPS, THEN HERE YOU GO!!

CHANGELOG::

v1.3:
    a) Added script for fixing all those apps that do not save internal settings!! (thanks to XlAfbk) If you have an app that starts with old settings or you're unalbe to change them at all, well..this should probably fix that!
    >> [script is called set_dbdata-databases_correct_owner_&_delete_dead_subfolders_by-PIRATA!.txt]
    b) Added script for fixing bad working Auto-Rotate & Compass (Maps) sensors! (thanks to ziggy2031) This scripts deletes the internal system config file for sensors forcing the system to restore a new one. Use this script if you have those sensors working bad OR not working at all!
    >> [script is called delete_auto-rotate_&_compass_sensors_by-PIRATA!.txt]
    c)Removed all JPY backups because are now obsolete!
    If you'd like to add new updated backups, just extract them from the stock Rom you use and past manually the .apk files (and .odex files if not deodexed) in the /sgstools/ folder in your internal sdcard.

v1.2:
    a) Added new Contacts app by ock in the /Upgrade Stock apps (APKs) folder (under private subfolder).
    >> [file is called Contacts.(SGSTools-Modded-app-showing-all-letters_by-ock).apk]

v1.1
    a) Added /Upgrade Stock apps (APKs) folder with all those files that are dowloadable from SGSTools using the "Upgrade Stock apps" menu section.
    Note: Upgrade tw launcher with all alternative TouchWiz launchers are missing -->> refere to [MOD] TouchWizGTG Launcher thread on XDA because they come from there!
    b) Added script for deleting /dbdata/databases subfolders (thanks to stuartmm)
    >> [file is called create_script_for_deleting_ALL_dbdata-databases_subfolders_by-PIRATA!.txt]

You need the last SGS Tools ver. 4.1.9 (English Version) app installed and working on your sgs!!

I do NOT know if it works for the SGS Tools ver. 4.1.9 (German Edition) too!! Please give me feedback about this and I'll edit the post!!

For any info about app please refere to 1° post of this discussion!!
    ...and pay a beer to the creator Fr4gg0r for his great work!! ;)

INSTALLATION::
    Just extract the linked archive on your computer and copy the /sgstools folder so to overwrite it over the SGSTools folder located in your internal sdcard (exact folder to overwrite: /sdcard/sgstools)

It is better to backup your original /sgstools folder from your phone to some place on your computer before you overwrite!!

If you have problems overwriting from computer, try to use Root Explorer from phone:
    1. copy on external sd
    2. if you don't have any external sd, rename the /sgstools folder on your computer in some other way like /sgstools_new and copy it in the internal sdcard
    3. open Root Explorer and select Mount R/W on top>righ (if not already in R/W mode)
    4. go to /sdcard directory (always check if you are in R/W mode)
    5. rename the original /sgstools folder to something like /sgstools_old
    6. now for the new folder:
      1. if you have copied in external sd the new /sgstools folder, just copy/past it in /sdcard directory
      2. if you have copied in internal sdcard the new /sgstools_new folder, just rename it in /sgstools
    7. Now you can run SGSTools!

PAY ATTENTION AT THE FOLLOWING THINGS!! ::
    1. All the stock SGSTools .TXT scripts will be overwrited!! If you have modded them, make backups of them!!
    2. If you have already applied some patches, STSTools should have done an automatic backup for those apps in your /sgstools folder located in your internal sdcard (/sdcard/sgstools)
    3. If it is your case and if you will overwrite your /sgstools folder with this folder provided by me, you will overwrite ALL of your backups!! This happens because this folder contains ALL the STOCK JPY .APK/.ODEX files that could be backupped by SGSTools when applying a script to a phone using stock JPY rom
    4. The apps are: Browser, Camera, Contacts, Email, Gallery3D, TouchWiz30Launcher and Vending (for the Vending app there is only the .APK file because this proveded here is the last official market app updated by it self after first use that does not come with .ODEX file)
    5. You could also find the new clean_thumb_db.txt script file from Quacktop, but here is renamed as clean_thumb_db.txt.NEW_FILE_by_Quacktop so that you could choose if use it or not (rename the original SGSTools clean_thumb_db.txt file in something like clean_thumb_db.txt.OLD and then rename the new script in clean_thumb_db.txt)
    6. There is also the new Contacts.apk file extracted from the "flashable by CWM file DXJPE_contacts_fix.zip" made by biohazard.tan, but here is renamed as Contacts.apk.DXJPE_contacts_fix_by_biohazard-tan so that you could decide to apply it manually using Root Explorer (copy/past overwriting with R/W support in the /system folder + DELETE the Contacts.odex if present!!)
    I hope this could be useful for someone.
    Cheers ;)

EnJoY! ;-)
    Sorry to hear that.
    Thanks for your work.
    Try to keep it up.

Sry, but I just removed the app from market.
    I don't have the time to support this, since many features does not work properly on galaxy version xyz or due to some bugs...

If someone wants to continue developing this app, I can provide him the sourcecode.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
    Sry, but I just removed the app from market.
    I don't have the time to support this, since many features does not work properly on galaxy version xyz or due to some bugs...

If someone wants to continue developing this app, I can provide him the sourcecode.