Gameboy Phone Update 12/10/2013

Search This thread

flexoduss

Dec 27, 2009
Hi there,

I'm trying to build a fully functional android gameboy phone :D
There is a motorola flipout inside with android 2.1.
I choose this phone because its small enough to fit the gameboy and i bought it for only 80 euro's (105 dollar).
I'm trying to make it as functionall as possible

UPDATE: 12/10/2013 Back in action
Sorry i didn't work on the project for a long time becouse i burned the motherboard from the motorola flipout.
I bought a new soldering iron with temputare control.
And use Kynar wire and thin soldering becouse everything is verry thiny :).
And ofcourse a new motorola flipout phone :) and btw sorry for the bad english.
If you guys can help me sort out the Keyboard software problem my phone would be 100% functional.
I can already make calls and use the onscreen keyboard.
Also the microphone is working its located at the speaker hole from the gameboy.
I only tested Nes and a Gb emulator and it works quite well on the low spec device.

UPDATE: 12/10/2013
small video demonstration (testing the connections)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPl5Nv8Amz0&feature=share&list=UU_WEZaMoLECJn6-VJDEK0lw

img20120206150650.jpg

UPDATE 12/10/2013
nhws.jpg

Already done:

- Dremel the Gameboy casing for more space
- Remove keyboard buttons on motorola flipout
- Solder wires on motorola flipout keyboard
- Cut pcb gameboy buttons and solder wires
- Solder wires on lock button
- Solder wires on jack plug
- On screen keyboard while hardware keyboard is open

To do list:

- Locksreen button holder
- Jack plug holder
- External battery
- Micro usb charger port
- Camera Hole
- Paint the casing

Problems:

The Hardware keyboard is open so everytime when you push the gameboy buttons.
When the phone screen is off it will putt the screen on again.
I have to find a way to only disable the hardware keys when the screen is off.
And that you have to use the lockscreen button to unlock.
Does anyone have a idea to do that in Android?
Im not a programmer :p

Last edited:

spjuggalojoe

What kind of Motorola flip out is it? Could you include model number and possibly some pictures of the phone's board? Great concept btw, I've been thinking of the same thing but with a classic NES controller, using my old Motorola W490...

Sent from XDA app on my ICS powered G2 ( Andromadus a10)

Reactions: hsr0

flexoduss

Dec 27, 2009
Haha you gotta love Nintendo :D
Its a motorola MB511 Flipout Qwertz
Android 2.1

First i couldnt use the phone to call when it was closed.
Then i used the app Fullscreen Caller ID and i could use the phone to call when its closed :D.
With fully functional front and backspeaker :D but the mic is underneath the display when its closed.

Open:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/img20120203132813.jpg/

Closed:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/521/img20120203132824.jpg/

The other side can hear me but when its in a Gameboy you cant hear me anymore.
For the front and back speaker i can drill holes :p as if the motorola was made 4 it :D.
But i need to extend my microphone and i was thinking about plugging in a microphone in the 3,5mm jackplugg.
But doesnt that take away the function of the front and back speaker becouse it thinks its a headset.
Why not cram a headset inside it?
I dont have enough space for it :mad: Only 4 the mic.
If i lower down the display it would look ridiculous.
So is there anyway to connect a microphone and still use the front and backspeaker?
Extending the microphone on the motherboard is my last option XD.
Mobile phones are fragile as hell :D and there is no such thing as a repair tutorial 4 the flipout.
So opening the motorola is verry risky for me :D

Reactions: vanloque

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010
Props to you, good sir. I honestly don't know anything about what you are attempting to do with the microphone, but I really hope someone helps you. That is a brilliant idea. May I make a suggestion, though?

In the pic you showed, it looks like you are going to have just empty space in the lower part of the Gameboy. If you weren't going to already, you may want to add some filler in there, just to balance the thing out, if only to make the Gameboy not so top-heavy.

Are you going to make a charging porthole for the Gameboy, so that you can leave it in, even when charging?

flexoduss

Dec 27, 2009
Props to you, good sir. I honestly don't know anything about what you are attempting to do with the microphone, but I really hope someone helps you. That is a brilliant idea. May I make a suggestion, though?

In the pic you showed, it looks like you are going to have just empty space in the lower part of the Gameboy. If you weren't going to already, you may want to add some filler in there, just to balance the thing out, if only to make the Gameboy not so top-heavy.

Are you going to make a charging porthole for the Gameboy, so that you can leave it in, even when charging?

There is gonna be some extra juice in the lower part of the gameboy ;)
So i'm not that worried about the balance thing :D.
And yep i'm thinking about using the original porthole 4 charging :D

flexoduss

Dec 27, 2009
I took the motorola flipout apart :D
The good news is i can solder the buttons to the phone easily :D
My first plan was to solder the buttons to a bleutooth keyboard :p
Also the phone thinks the keyboard is open even when its closed :D
I have to do this because i cant call without the keyboard opened.
Now my only problem with the phone is how to extend the microphone???
I cant solder the microphone loose i geuss??

I made some pictures of the inside of the motorola flipout maybe somebody can suggest something???

69800927.jpg

29453589.jpg

14122159.jpg

ayziaa

Dec 14, 2010
Lyon
Why can't you drills holes on the gameboy plastic for the mic??

Do you have an electronic board on the lower part of the gameboy, on witch buttons interacts?

Because the best solution would be to have the motorola open inside the gameboy casing. With or without the motorola casing. If you take of the motorola casing plastic you could put the electronic board (with the battery) on top of the buttons and the drills a hole for the mic...

Last edited:

bedwa

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 5, 2008
Springfield IL
Yes, the second pic with the arrows should be the mic. You could get, or fashion, a piece that that goes over the mic to face it away from the rest of the device. Then have a tube (air tubing?) To string it where you need it. (Remember some sort of dust screen for the mic port)

Reactions: flexoduss

ayziaa

Dec 14, 2010
Lyon
Yes, the second pic with the arrows should be the mic. You could get, or fashion, a piece that that goes over the mic to face it away from the rest of the device. Then have a tube (air tubing?) To string it where you need it. (Remember some sort of dust screen for the mic port)

+1 for a tube!!

TidusWulf

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
I would suggest a wired mono headset so you can place a microphone at the bottom and an earpeice at the top. sorry if this has been mentioned already. I read only to about halfway down.

ratykat

Feb 8, 2008
Fantastic idea!

Just a little idea- why dont you get a set of headphones with a microphone built in (wired hands free kit) mount the mic where ever you need, chop the headphones off and run a mono speaker where the stock speaker used to be?

If you wanted to get super awesome, why not hook the volume control wheel into the wire after the mic but before the speaker, and run a dual 3mm headphone jack, so you could mute the speaker, and plug normal headphones in if you ever wanted to, and still have an external microphone in there? (obviously the dual jack would have to support the microphone connection too, but you could always fabricate this yourself if you knew how? (I dont, just an idea) )

Definitely watching this thread though, I'd love to do this with an old gaming console and my phone somehow.

ratykat

Reactions: flexoduss

Bruce Lee

Jan 20, 2011
Ohio
plus.google.com
For OP.

Have you posted this on a Nintendo forum on the nintendo website. You could have some brilliant ideas come from there too. I am sure someone with a tech mind for modding could help you there.

S

Sanadrate

YES YOU CAN!

IPHONE HEADPHONES WITH MIC?

also go to walmart and find a cheap headset
or dollar tree

or if funds are no issue, find an old Nintendo DS,DSI,DS lite

CHEERS N GOOD LUCK!

tried this before and sold it for 340 on ebay =) but i had the Pikachu Version!

and the Clear Purple

also if i can be any help PM me, and we will go from there

flexoduss

Dec 27, 2009
The Microphone wouldnt be a problem but there is little space 4 a earpiece if i would use a headset.
I cant use the headset and earpiece on the phone @ the same time :p.
The easiest thing would be if there is some kind of app to use only the microphone on a headset and still use the earpiece of the motorola.
Is there somebody that knows a app that can direct sound both on the phone and headset????
Oh and yes i have a electronic board on the lower part of the gameboy on witch buttons interacts :D
I'l make some pictures when i am finished soldering :p

Last edited:

flexoduss

Dec 27, 2009

haha +1 again for the tubing :D i cant use the tube becouse of the electronic part of the gameboy buttons.
But your tubing gave me a idea to use tubing to direct sound between the tight space between the screen and phone :D from the earpiece of a headset.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there,

I'm trying to build a fully functional android gameboy phone :D
    There is a motorola flipout inside with android 2.1.
    I choose this phone because its small enough to fit the gameboy and i bought it for only 80 euro's (105 dollar).
    I'm trying to make it as functionall as possible

UPDATE: 12/10/2013 Back in action
    Sorry i didn't work on the project for a long time becouse i burned the motherboard from the motorola flipout.
    I bought a new soldering iron with temputare control.
    And use Kynar wire and thin soldering becouse everything is verry thiny :).
    And ofcourse a new motorola flipout phone :) and btw sorry for the bad english.
    If you guys can help me sort out the Keyboard software problem my phone would be 100% functional.
    I can already make calls and use the onscreen keyboard.
    Also the microphone is working its located at the speaker hole from the gameboy.
    I only tested Nes and a Gb emulator and it works quite well on the low spec device.

UPDATE: 12/10/2013
    small video demonstration (testing the connections)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPl5Nv8Amz0&feature=share&list=UU_WEZaMoLECJn6-VJDEK0lw

img20120206150650.jpg

UPDATE 12/10/2013
    nhws.jpg

Already done:

- Dremel the Gameboy casing for more space
    - Remove keyboard buttons on motorola flipout
    - Solder wires on motorola flipout keyboard
    - Cut pcb gameboy buttons and solder wires
    - Solder wires on lock button
    - Solder wires on jack plug
    - On screen keyboard while hardware keyboard is open

To do list:

- Locksreen button holder
    - Jack plug holder
    - External battery
    - Micro usb charger port
    - Camera Hole
    - Paint the casing

Problems:

The Hardware keyboard is open so everytime when you push the gameboy buttons.
    When the phone screen is off it will putt the screen on again.
    I have to find a way to only disable the hardware keys when the screen is off.
    And that you have to use the lockscreen button to unlock.
    Does anyone have a idea to do that in Android?
    Im not a programmer :p
    What kind of Motorola flip out is it? Could you include model number and possibly some pictures of the phone's board? Great concept btw, I've been thinking of the same thing but with a classic NES controller, using my old Motorola W490...

Sent from XDA app on my ICS powered G2 ( Andromadus a10)
    Haha you gotta love Nintendo :D
    Its a motorola MB511 Flipout Qwertz
    Android 2.1

First i couldnt use the phone to call when it was closed.
    Then i used the app Fullscreen Caller ID and i could use the phone to call when its closed :D.
    With fully functional front and backspeaker :D but the mic is underneath the display when its closed.

Open:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/img20120203132813.jpg/

Closed:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/521/img20120203132824.jpg/

The other side can hear me but when its in a Gameboy you cant hear me anymore.
    For the front and back speaker i can drill holes :p as if the motorola was made 4 it :D.
    But i need to extend my microphone and i was thinking about plugging in a microphone in the 3,5mm jackplugg.
    But doesnt that take away the function of the front and back speaker becouse it thinks its a headset.
    Why not cram a headset inside it?
    I dont have enough space for it :mad: Only 4 the mic.
    If i lower down the display it would look ridiculous.
    So is there anyway to connect a microphone and still use the front and backspeaker?
    Extending the microphone on the motherboard is my last option XD.
    Mobile phones are fragile as hell :D and there is no such thing as a repair tutorial 4 the flipout.
    So opening the motorola is verry risky for me :D
    Fantastic idea!

Just a little idea- why dont you get a set of headphones with a microphone built in (wired hands free kit) mount the mic where ever you need, chop the headphones off and run a mono speaker where the stock speaker used to be?

If you wanted to get super awesome, why not hook the volume control wheel into the wire after the mic but before the speaker, and run a dual 3mm headphone jack, so you could mute the speaker, and plug normal headphones in if you ever wanted to, and still have an external microphone in there? (obviously the dual jack would have to support the microphone connection too, but you could always fabricate this yourself if you knew how? (I dont, just an idea) )

Definitely watching this thread though, I'd love to do this with an old gaming console and my phone somehow.

ratykat