moto e4 sprint sim unlock? (hidden menu invalid sim card)

Search This thread

tramuyo

Feb 14, 2006
Greeeeetings!

Anyone knows how to sim unlock this thing? (or at least, some kind of intl gsm unlock?)

Really appreciated!

chi321

Jul 3, 2012
does sim unlocking opens international gsm bands? can anyone please confirm? data only will also work if that's possible.

A

amarc78

Greeeeetings!

Anyone knows how to sim unlock this thing? (or at least, some kind of intl gsm unlock?)

Really appreciated!

Open your dialer and dial ##27264#. Follow the prompts and it will unbrand your device. I think this is what your looking for.
Edit: it should undo any gsm lock.
Edit: that should be ##27263# sorry.

Last edited:

brunonemer

Apr 2, 2013
La Paz
Open your dialer and dial ##27264#. Follow the prompts and it will unbrand your device. I think this is what your looking for.
Edit: it should undo any gsm lock.
Edit: that should be ##27263# sorry.

It didn't work, it still shows the "invalid sim card" message. For print phones, NV can be edited to SIM unlock, but there's no way to get the MSL code. Anybody knows how to get the MSL code?

chijohnx

Jul 13, 2016
So what I've come to is all Sprint versions or any IMEI starting with 99 is unlockable. I've had one guy who sells the unlock codes on eBay said he's positive there's no way to unlock the 99 IMEI phone. Can anybody else confirm this or offer up a solution?

A

amarc78

So what I've come to is all Sprint versions or any IMEI starting with 99 is unlockable. I've had one guy who sells the unlock codes on eBay said he's positive there's no way to unlock the 99 IMEI phone. Can anybody else confirm this or offer up a solution?
Mine is sprint/ boost and the imei starts with 99 and I unlocked it just like every other Motorola device I have unlocked.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using XDA Labs

chijohnx

Jul 13, 2016
Moto E4 Plus Sprint/99 IMEI

Nice. Do u mind passing on the knowledge my friend bc I'm at a loss. I have an E4 Plus btw. I'd appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Mine is sprint/ boost and the imei starts with 99 and I unlocked it just like every other Motorola device I have unlocked.

Nice. Do u mind passing on the knowledge my friend bc I'm at a loss. I have an E4 Plus btw. I'd appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

I've got the E4 Plus btw

SwampDonky910

Sep 26, 2017
im having the same issue, i have an e4 plus and i have bought an unlock code but no matter what i try i cannot get a prompt to appear to enter the code. is there any other option of sim unlocking besides using the code. maybe some kind of root exploit?

carkev

Jan 4, 2009
www.kevbro.uk

Could you possibly be kind enough to share how you managed your unlock?

I would be eternally grateful as I've spent over 2 days of research and begging letters to various unlockers and forums without any joy - even Boost mobile have not come back to me.
I'm willing to pay, or contribute to your​ favourite charity if I can get mine unlocked.

A

amarc78

Could you possibly be kind enough to share how you managed your unlock?

I would be eternally grateful as I've spent over 2 days of research and begging letters to various unlockers and forums without any joy - even Boost mobile have not come back to me.
I'm willing to pay, or contribute to your​ favourite charity if I can get mine unlocked.
I got Boost Mobile to do it for $10.

A

amarc78

is there any way to get the hidden menu to show
Yes. You'll have to reboot to twrp, click on mount then check the box next to oem. Next go to the twrp file manager and etc/motorola/hide/ there is a file named application.xml. Rename the file with a ~ on the end. Then reboot and you should have it working. That file tells the system to hide the hidden menu app, that's why it opens and closes like that.

carkev

Jan 4, 2009
www.kevbro.uk
Yes. You'll have to reboot to twrp, click on mount then check the box next to oem. Next go to the twrp file manager and etc/motorola/hide/ there is a file named application.xml. Rename the file with a ~ on the end. Then reboot and you should have it working. That file tells the system to hide the hidden menu app, that's why it opens and closes like that.

I have been following this thread with interest as I have an E4 I bought in the USA recently.
I was hoping to unlock for use here in the UK. Boost have flatly refused to help me.

When I put my sim in the notification bar briefly flashes up with a hidden menu & 'Invalid sim'
I could perhaps use that unlocker website but I don't fancy the phone being on a blacklist.

here is where I show my ignorance though, we are talking about unlocking the sim on a locked phone here yes? ...
not an OEM unlock, which I believe is unlocking the bootloader (rooting it?)

Last edited by a moderator:

uwapalwa

Apr 16, 2017
I have been following this thread with interest as I have an E4 I bought in the USA recently.
I was hoping to unlock for use here in the UK. Boost have flatly refused to help me.

When I put my sim in the notification bar briefly flashes up with a hidden menu & 'Invalid sim'
I could perhaps use that unlocker website but I don't fancy the phone being on a blacklist.

here is where I show my ignorance though, we are talking about unlocking the sim on a locked phone here yes? ...
not an OEM unlock, which I believe is unlocking the bootloader (rooting it?)

Yes sim unlocking, not bootloader unlocking

Reactions: carkev

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Moto E4 (xt1766) Sprint, Virgin Mobile & Boost Mobile variants are not SIM locked or otherwise network locked -- in the traditional manner, at least -- as is the usual case with Sprint compatible variants of most Motorola smartphones. (e.g. Moto E LTE (Surnia) xt1526, which is network locked to restrict GSM functionality by way of encryption embedded in the /pds, /hob & /dhob partitions).
    In the case of the Sprint compatible Moto E4 xt1766, the "Invalid SIM" notification and the failure to support the GSM SIM is due to restrictions implemented in the stock Android OS itself. By simply installing a custom ROM (I'm using LineageOS 14.1 for demonstration purposes), and setting Preferred Network to GSM/LTE auto PRL in the radio menu (*#*#4636#*#*), the xt1766 will recognize and support a GSM SIM card. Of course, it is also necessary to configure an APN in accordance with the parameters of your particular GSM service provider. I can confirm full 4G/LTE data, SMS/MMS & voice services for AT&T and its MVNO subsidiaries. I cannot confirm that this works for T-Mobile and respective MVNOs, but based on the enabled LTE Band spectrum of the xt1766, these should work as well.
    this works for me

Hi iam alex from argentina, my sister travel to usa in january, and bring a e4 from sprint. Locked of course, i read all the pos from this thread and found the solution to unlock this device, i will try to explain the best i can.
    1_unlock bootloader with CMD
    2_flash twrp from squid last version
    3_download and copy rom resurection remix and gaps into your sd card
    4_boot into recovery custom
    5_wipe factory
    6_install rr and gaps
    7_configure rr os, put your simcard into the phone
    8_now in your dialer put ( *#*#4636#*#* ) select phone information, and then choose in the option (set preferred network type) global auto prl.
    9_enjoy your device unlocked
    10_sorry for my bad englishh.

pd. i am usin moto e4 xt1766 with carrier claro argentina, and thats the only configuration who works for me.
    I'm glad for your confirmation. I'm looking for the component in the stock Android OS that restricts GSM SIM support. I'm nearly certain it lies in the system apps which control telephony and RIL. If I can find it, I'll make a zip installer to remove the restrictions from the stock ROM. I'm going to ask @SeanStar to help as well. That guy is a genius with carrier provisioning and patching.
    Based on your confirmation, I'm guessing that the same firmware restrictions exist in both owens and perry.

By the way, I know this is kinda late, meant to reply earlier, but I believe flashing the retail oem may sim unlock sprint phones. It's kinda hard to tell, but that's my best guess. The system images are pretty close for both, so I'd try that. Just take the oem.img from retail firmware and flash it with fastboot or in twrp, doesn't really matter. No way to confirm it, but it would be worth a shot.
    thank you, I'll re-read the thread, and may end up using that website.
    if I do succeed I'll post back how I did so.

my Moto E4 is now unlocked for UK use folks - happy days!
    mucho kudos to @uwapalwa for the link in his post #18
    those guys were nothing short of brilliant, I doubt there is a better unlocker worldwide - I tried so many I nearly gave up.
    if you decide to use them be aware that they did it via Teamviewer - I was nervous at first - but it all went well really.

if you do decide to use them though, I would recommend that you message them beforehand with your IMEI, whether your phone is Qualcom or Mediatek chipset (install CPU-Z to find out) and whether or not your Windows ver. is 32 or 64 bit as my setup caused the guy some trouble.
    Help!

Greeeeetings!

Really appreciated!

Hello. I am new to this forum as well as having not much experience with unlocking SIM. I recently purchased the Motorola Moto E4 Plus. The previous owner told me that the SIM card was unlocked from. Sprint and ready to accept my T-Mobile SIM card. It is not. I have researched and tried numerous ways to no avail. Can anyone find it in their heart to help me?
    I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter.