[MOD] 1.8GHz+ overclock module for HTC EVO 4G LTE

Search This thread

Art2Fly

Aug 11, 2010
EDIT: Perflock really doesnt allow the settings to stick. Sure you can change them in Set CPU or a similar app, but after using CPU Spy and realizing that the phone does not clock to above 1.5GHZ unless Set CPU is open this is considered pretty much useless until a custom kernel comes that disables perflock. Sorry.

First I want to say thanks to Haus for showing me how to do this, his thread is here. This is not my own release but rather I modded coolbho3000's original module to work with our phones. The rest of the post will be word for word verbatim of his post.

Instructions

Install the overclock (only once):
1. Push the kernel module to your device, make sure it is the krait_oc.ko file, not the krait_oc.ko.bak file:
Code:
adb push krait_oc.ko /data/local
2. Install the new thermald.conf, making sure to back up the old one, and reboot. The thermald.conf is included in the download. If you want to target a frequency other than 1809000 KHz, you should edit the thermald.conf and replace "1809000" to whatever frequency you want to target.
Code:
adb push thermald.conf /data/local
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
cp /system/etc/thermald.conf /system/etc/thermald.conf.bak
rm -r /system/etc/thermald.conf
cp /data/local/thermald.conf /system/etc
reboot

Load the overclock (every time you reboot):
1. Load the kernel module (replace pll_l_val and vdd_uv with your desired voltages and L value as explained above. It defaults to 67 and 1300000 if you don't give it any parameters):
Code:
adb shell
su
insmod /data/local/krait_oc.ko pll_l_val=67 vdd_uv=1300000
2. Bring core 1 temporarily offline so it gets updated with the new max frequency:
Code:
echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
3. You'll now have an additional CPU frequency! SetCPU can configure your maximum frequency up to this speed. You can also choose to keep running at 1.5GHz at any time - this method doesn't eliminate any available frequencies. Set the max at 1.8GHz to verify it's stable here.
4. Restart thermald by running "ps". Look for "thermald" in the list, and find thermald's pid (it's usually a number in the low hundreds, higher up in the list). Run "kill [thermald's PID]" in adb shell. The kernel does not currently have kernel-level temperature throttling turned on, so thermald is important for now.

Remove the overclock by restoring your backup of thermald.conf:
Code:
adb shell
su
cp /system/etc/thermald.conf.bak /system/etc/thermald.conf
rm -r /system/etc/thermald.conf.bak
reboot
Rebooting clears any kernel modules that are loaded, so you're now clean. You can then delete anything left over in /data/local, but it doesn't matter.

Download
Link to Modded Krait_OC Modules for HTC EVO 4G LTE

Last edited:

firmbiz94

Nov 29, 2010
Raleigh
Seems a little complicated for me but can't wait to see how this thing does oc'd so we know what to expect when Kernel source is released ..

Reactions: chufo68

kaos420

Account currently disabled
Dec 21, 2007
Usa
meettomy.site
locked and loaded running at 1.8 nice :cool: :good: have it set to 1.8 ondemand
4257504c-d05c-3ea2.jpg

18a17f19-d0e6-cc36.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogie52

P.Mobile

Nov 18, 2011
RhOdE IsLAnD... 401
i hope someone makes a video on this..im still a noob pretty much!! :eek: so i plug my phone in to my desktop and then what?? what to i have to put my phone in??

P.Mobile

Nov 18, 2011
RhOdE IsLAnD... 401
what do i do what the zip??? lol sorry i know flash it but whats it do ?? i dont understand?? do i just flash the zip over my rom then do all that abd stuff???

Last edited:
Reactions: chufo68

sracercelica

May 6, 2008
Anaheim, CA
i hope someone makes a video on this..im still a noob pretty much!! :eek: so i plug my phone in to my desktop and then what?? what to i have to put my phone in??

If you are a newbie I would hold off on this. I don't consider my self a newbie and there is just something that scares me about messing with the kernel unless I'm 100% sure of what I'm doing.

P.Mobile

Nov 18, 2011
RhOdE IsLAnD... 401
If you are a newbie I would hold off on this. I don't consider my self a newbie and there is just something that scares me about messing with the kernel unless I'm 100% sure of what I'm doing.

i never used abd shell ect.. all i kno how to do is flash radio's.. roms..kernels.. recoverys.. and root my last 3 evo's.. lol i never had to do anything like that?? im deff a noob to that!!:laugh: quess ill just have to wait till we get kernels!! :)

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

I'm working on making this an app fyi

Sent from my EVO LTE

that would be super sweet! :good:

Last edited:

dstorm

Oct 11, 2008
this is similar to how we oc the E3D prior to kernel release, when we just had temp root. We used terminal emulator.

utnick

Nov 8, 2009
Texas
this does not play well with dual core mods. if you're running one then disable it.

the dual core mod won't let you turn off the second core to let it update the frequency.

dual core mod back to stock

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    App is finished, right now its just a basic enable and disable. I plan on adding more features and releasing soon.
    EDIT: Perflock really doesnt allow the settings to stick. Sure you can change them in Set CPU or a similar app, but after using CPU Spy and realizing that the phone does not clock to above 1.5GHZ unless Set CPU is open this is considered pretty much useless until a custom kernel comes that disables perflock. Sorry.

First I want to say thanks to Haus for showing me how to do this, his thread is here. This is not my own release but rather I modded coolbho3000's original module to work with our phones. The rest of the post will be word for word verbatim of his post.

Instructions

Install the overclock (only once):
    1. Push the kernel module to your device, make sure it is the krait_oc.ko file, not the krait_oc.ko.bak file:
    Code:
    adb push krait_oc.ko /data/local
    2. Install the new thermald.conf, making sure to back up the old one, and reboot. The thermald.conf is included in the download. If you want to target a frequency other than 1809000 KHz, you should edit the thermald.conf and replace "1809000" to whatever frequency you want to target.
    Code:
    adb push thermald.conf /data/local
    adb shell
    su
    cp /system/etc/thermald.conf /system/etc/thermald.conf.bak
    cp /data/local/thermald.conf /system/etc
    reboot

Load the overclock (every time you reboot):
    1. Load the kernel module (replace pll_l_val and vdd_uv with your desired voltages and L value as explained above. It defaults to 67 and 1300000 if you don't give it any parameters):
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    insmod /data/local/krait_oc.ko pll_l_val=67 vdd_uv=1300000
    2. Bring core 1 temporarily offline so it gets updated with the new max frequency:
    Code:
    echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
    3. You'll now have an additional CPU frequency! SetCPU can configure your maximum frequency up to this speed. You can also choose to keep running at 1.5GHz at any time - this method doesn't eliminate any available frequencies. Set the max at 1.8GHz to verify it's stable here.
    4. Restart thermald by running "ps". Look for "thermald" in the list, and find thermald's pid (it's usually a number in the low hundreds, higher up in the list). Run "kill [thermald's PID]" in adb shell. The kernel does not currently have kernel-level temperature throttling turned on, so thermald is important for now.

Remove the overclock by restoring your backup of thermald.conf:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cp /system/etc/thermald.conf.bak /system/etc/thermald.conf
    rm -r /system/etc/thermald.conf.bak
    reboot
    Rebooting clears any kernel modules that are loaded, so you're now clean. You can then delete anything left over in /data/local, but it doesn't matter.

Download
    Link to Modded Krait_OC Modules for HTC EVO 4G LTE
    I'm working on making this an app fyi

Sent from my EVO LTE
    Fully customizable app available here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28311626#post28311626

Thanks again OP for this MOD
    This is amazing. We can overclock before kernel source drops... Thank you devs once again for exceeding my expectations!

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app