HTC HD2 will ‘officially’ be upgradeable to Windows Mobile 7

Search This thread

Co0kieMonster

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 26, 2008
I found an interesting thing in Manila 2.5.1922 from Leo ROM 2.02. A few lua scripts contain variations of the following (this one is from 6c219600_manila):

Code:
if HomeMachineStatus.WM7Device.Value then
  IsWindowsMobile7Device = true
  PredefineItem = 1
  HomeItemCollection = HomeManager:GetHomeCollection(1)
else
  IsWindowsMobile7Device = false
  PredefineItem = 0
  HomeItemCollection = HomeManager:GetHomeCollection()
end

Not that this is anything definitive, but a WM7Device check in the latest Manila build certainly is interesting :D

Marcdu81

May 14, 2006
Tarn
I should clarify HTC Europe sorry,remember for the Trinity , the official update with WM6 was only for Asia ...

firaX

Apr 30, 2008
München
I doubt the HD2 will be "old piece of hardware" in 2010. Let's not forget it depends on the available chipsets to determine if a device is outdated or not. I would argue it takes more than one year to advance much further than snapdragon. OF course HTC will update their lineup - but they will most likely stick to snapdragon and just update the optics and other minor features. Maybe increase internal storage and Ram, but i don't see much more coming in 2010. The HD2 is atm already ahead of the mainstream devices. If we look back at post Kaiser (400mhz) handsets - most ran on the MSM7200A chipsets for a very long time (528mhz). Even now they are still using this chipset on many new devices (look at Q1-Q2 announcements). This chipset is from 2008...We are in 2010 almost now. Nothing has really changed except VGA => WVGA, inclusion of G-sensor etc. The HD2 hardware will be fine for WM7, i am sure of that.

antoniomistretta

Aug 18, 2008
La Spezia, Alessandria
I found an interesting thing in Manila 2.5.1922 from Leo ROM 2.02. A few lua scripts contain variations of the following (this one is from 6c219600_manila):

Code:
if HomeMachineStatus.WM7Device.Value then
  IsWindowsMobile7Device = true
  PredefineItem = 1
  HomeItemCollection = HomeManager:GetHomeCollection(1)
else
  IsWindowsMobile7Device = false
  PredefineItem = 0
  HomeItemCollection = HomeManager:GetHomeCollection()
end

Not that this is anything definitive, but a WM7Device check in the latest Manila build certainly is interesting :D

Co0kie! you are a Monster! :D

Marcdu81

May 14, 2006
Tarn
Here is a message posted in french forum ( sorry i use google translator,to translate quicker ) .

Hello everyone,

I hereby CrashOverHead, I'm the friend mentioned by Saxo.
I am a developer by trade, but also a big fan of HTC and Windows Mobile, I am developing for over two years HTC rom .

I also plan to acquire this beautiful jewelry that is the HD2.

Most of you will say that if HTC did not develop official rom, it's OK for the amateur developer (xda, etc ...) will come out one.

Unfortunately FALSE.

This was valable for wm5, wm6, wm6.1 and wm6.5 because these systems are based on an CE 5.2.x

WM7 will use a new CE.

In addition to using a new CE, the complete architecture of an image of Rom is completely revised (including the level of compiling drivers, etc. ...), moreover all these info are available on MSDN.

So we have 3 perspectives:

Either HTC made a formal update to WM7, and with this update, we can remake ourselves from other Rom optimized.
Let DA_G (who works on HTC and XDA developer) will have access to the BSP and we compile a kernelt and we provide config)
Or a hack is found fit to wear and WM7, but I really think very little, and if this hack out, Roma will not "own" because the kernel will in no native WM7 since it must be compiled for WM7.

Basically, the port is impossible for us, only HTC can provide us with a formal update, and I sincerely hope that this will happen:)

I hope you have a little enlightened:)

Have a peaceful holiday.

Best regards,

CrashOverHead

Last edited:

Kelthuzar

Jan 1, 2010
Sofia
WM7 Chassis 1 Specification

Core requirements:
Processor: ARM v6+, L2 Cache, VFP, Open GL ES 2.0 graphics HW (QCOM 8k, Nvidia AP15/16* and TI 3430 all meet spec)
Memory: 256MB+ DRAM, 1G+ Flash (at least 512MB fast flash – 5MB/s unbuffered read @4K block size)
Display: WVGA (800×480) or FWVGA (854×480) 3.5” or greater diagonal
Touch: Multi-touch required
Battery: Sufficient to meet Days of Use LTK requirements.
Controls: Start, Back, Send and End are required (soft controls allowed as long as they are always present).

Peripherals:
Camera: 3MP+, flash optional, 2nd camera optional (VGA resolution sufficient)
GPS: aGPS required
Sensors required: Light Sensor, Compass (3 axis, 5 degrees, 100 Hz sample rate), Accelerometer (3 axis, 2mg resolution, 100 Hz sample rate)
USB: High speed required, 20 MB/s transfer rate.
BlueTooth: BT2.1 required, must run MSFT BT stack, CSR BlueCore6 or later recommended.
Wi-Fi: 802.11B/G required, must run MSFT Native Wi-Fi stack, Atheros 6002 or Broadcomm 4325 recommended.
Connectors: Micro USB and 3.5mm Audio required.

Options:
FM tuner: If tuner HW is present it will be detected and supported by the Media application.
Haptics
SD Card (Micro SD recommended)
DPAD, qwerty or 12/20 key keyboards all optional
Now can someone assure me that it will be possible to have winmo 7 on hd2? wouldnt it be laggy with that little ram?! and can it be put in our precious artefact :)

Last edited:

donbronzi

Sep 1, 2007
I don't see HTC introducing something much more powerful then the Leo until the end of the year! If the Leo can't run WM7 because of hardware then WM7 has already failed!

Hopefully MS has learned from their PC OS that bigger isn't always better, I'm hoping WM7 is more streamline then the current combination of manilla and WM6.5 which nails the system memory (much like windows vista did!)

I bought the LEo on the grounds of it being upgradable to 7, would be gutted if it isn't compatible.

Kelthuzar

Jan 1, 2010
Sofia
I am pretty much sure you are right :) i hope the flash memory speed is fast enough to satisfy microsoft :confused: but who knows. So you can tell that its like 100% compatible with the requirements? I am eagerly waiting for Winmo 7 :) Happy new year :p

mightymn

Oct 18, 2006
Something interesting is that the requirements say front camera is optional and the HD2 unlike all previous high end HTC devices, doesn't have it. Kinda seems like the HD2 is made to meet all these. And because we can be 90 percent sure that HD2 is a lab rat for winmo 7 testing, it doesn't make sense if it doesn't meet them.

But ofcourse we don't yet know about the fast flash thing and "days of use battery", the latter of which is a bit worrying if we want an "official" update

jakem

Nov 11, 2009
I don't see HTC introducing something much more powerful then the Leo until the end of the year! If the Leo can't run WM7 because of hardware then WM7 has already failed!

Hopefully MS has learned from their PC OS that bigger isn't always better, I'm hoping WM7 is more streamline then the current combination of manilla and WM6.5 which nails the system memory (much like windows vista did!)

I bought the LEo on the grounds of it being upgradable to 7, would be gutted if it isn't compatible.

To be honest, that was a silly reason to buy the phone. Until you get official confirmation of an upgrade you shouldn't assume that you will get one and CrashOverhead's post above suggests that you may not be able to get an upgrade from this site either.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good question. I see some people that are like 'I don't even want WinMo7 on my HD2! blablabla'. IMO this is something like 'I can not get it, so I do not want it'.

This new OS is about the way you use the device. The interface is built in a way, that I can probably access everything much quicker and smoother. Sure you will probably not be able to customize the interface so much, but it wont be NEEDED if the interface is good. It is not just an update to WinMo 6.5, it is something new.

I see almost no reasons NOT to want an upgrade to the new OS. I prefer to be able to only install apps from the marketplace. Why? Because those are usually of much higher quality then random cab's you find on the net. Seriously, there are almost NO high quality apps out there for WM6.5. High quality for me means: performance but also good and finger friendly interface, working nice together with the whole OS. An app that receives updates. I am willing to even pay for those apps.

And you can only sync with their software? I don't see no problem with that, as long as it is easy and fast.

I am looking at what WinMo7 can become. A much more customizable interface. HD2 and Sense? Really not so much freedom tbh. You have the standard Sense programs, which you can only move around. You can add some quicklinks. That's it. In WinMo7 you can really add what you want to the homescreen.

I am just hoping that we DO get the new OS on the HD2. If not, I have a big problem.

you are right at most, they say that they hate it as thy cannot get it wp7 is a very good os it makes wm6.5 looks like rubbish