{DISCUSSION}Xperia Z back glass coming unglued

Search This thread
D

donottouch

@donottouch,

First I want to thank you for posting your experience on repairing this problem.

My phone had this problem also, and water got in to the phone, it was raining and I was on the phone with someone.

The problems:

-Microphone has stopped working

-Side keys has stopped working.

So, I contacted Sony Netherlands, and they said I should send the phone to Dynafix, after calling Dynafix, they said that I had to proof that the water came trough the glass, and that I had all the covers closed.. Well, how can I doe that? Because the USB and the headphone strips were pink/red, and the reparation would take more or less 5 weeks (WTF???)

So I thought, I can do it by my self (lol).

The first thing I did was clean the mobo with some special electronics liquid, and I replaced the sidekey flex, everything works now, and this weekend I will work on get the phone waterproof again. And here comes a few questions:

I will replace the Antena cover also (where the speaker) because the glue is not good anymore, and I couldn't find any adhesive for this part. Do you think is necessary? I mean, will water comes though the speaker whole?

In the backcover (where the secondary microphone) there is a sponge, but half of it is gone , I don't think that it is for preventing water to come inside, can you confirm that?

I will buy this adhesive I can't see if it is the old one or the new one, so I will buy and try, my question is, in your tutorial, you don't apply heat to "glue" the cover back, so I assume is not needed (sorry for the stupid question), I just have to (try) apply enough pressure in all 4 sides (I will work it out how to do it).

Again thanks for your help! And sorry for all those questions.

I've removed the camera sponge and lowed the NFC contacts...

I cannot validate the stuff from ebay LOL, what i got from work is works more than fine. I did not apply any heat when i glued it... But it works :p :laugh: :p Just washed the poorly thing with my trousers.... ouch 60min program @40c and is alive, and dry like a desert. The water sensors you need to get from ebay or from another phone if is bigger you can cut it. if you have a look there is a little triangle one in the sim trays handle. And for your question, is better to get the "mic mesh" or get a back from our lovely e-store. and if i were you i would claim warranty for something else, like battery problem common after the 1st 4.2.2 update. make sure you put all stuff back if don't have just cut same color stickers for same size, preferably from similar material.

douglam

May 23, 2007
@donottouch,

First I want to thank you for posting your experience on repairing this problem.

My phone had this problem also, and water got in to the phone, it was raining and I was on the phone with someone.

The problems:

-Microphone has stopped working

-Side keys has stopped working.

So, I contacted Sony Netherlands, and they said I should send the phone to Dynafix, after calling Dynafix, they said that I had to proof that the water came trough the glass, and that I had all the covers closed.. Well, how can I doe that? Because the USB and the headphone strips were pink/red, and the reparation would take more or less 5 weeks (WTF???)

So I thought, I can do it by my self (lol).

The first thing I did was clean the mobo with some special electronics liquid, and I replaced the sidekey flex, everything works now, and this weekend I will work on get the phone waterproof again. And here comes a few questions:

I will replace the Antena cover also (where the speaker) because the glue is not good anymore, and I couldn't find any adhesive for this part. Do you think is necessary? I mean, will water comes though the speaker whole?

In the backcover (where the secondary microphone) there is a sponge, but half of it is gone , I don't think that it is for preventing water to come inside, can you confirm that?

I will buy this adhesive I can't see if it is the old one or the new one, so I will buy and try, my question is, in your tutorial, you don't apply heat to "glue" the cover back, so I assume is not needed (sorry for the stupid question), I just have to (try) apply enough pressure in all 4 sides (I will work it out how to do it).

Again thanks for your help! And sorry for all those questions.

I've removed the camera sponge and lowed the NFC contacts...

That's what I'm afraid of. How can you prove anything after the indicators have turned red??? So basically the warranty against water damage is worthless in a waterproof phone?

Last edited:

Luinwethion

Mar 17, 2010
Delft
@donottouch, Thank you very much.

I have now a insurance, but I can't claim nothing in the first month, but if anything goes wrong again, I just send the phone to the insurance company, because the Sony service in the Netherlands and Belgium is horrible, they are slow, and they try to find any evidence of user fault, some people with the same problem, got their phones back (after a few weeks) and the problem was not solved, because they claim it's a minor "esthetic" problem.

I got almost all my stuff from a german webshop, and I think the stuff is original, because they look the same as the Sony ones (the flex cable and the antenna cover.

But sadly they don't have the adhesive for the back cover, so the last thing I can do, is hope to get a original one lol.

The mic mesh is a good idea, I will try that, thanks.

Don MC

Dec 28, 2010
SW Coast
In my country it's up to the seller/service center to prove the customer has misused his/her phone and not the other way around. Not sure about the rules elsewhere in the EU, but I'd advise you (Luinwethion) to google a bit and find out more about the consumer rights in your country. They should be the same in all the EU.

D

donottouch

That's what I'm afraid of. How can you prove anything after the indicators have turned red??? So basically the warranty against water damage is worthless in a waterproof phone?

"After water damage please change the indicators !" LOL Is that simple. Salvage it from other devices, or buy a few. On mine i used one from my HTC Desire C little square if cutted 3 part just makes the right size.

drsoran2

Apr 25, 2011
Germany
As I don't want to send in my device and wait for days or weeks until it's fixed, I thought about making it more waterproof myself. I'm planning to treat the edges and rims of the front and back side. The places were there are small gaps and which are lifted or could lift.

To do this, I thought about some kind of waterproof glue or spray. It must be transparent, non poisonous and non smelly. Basically invisible. It should also be removable and not cost a fortune.

What should I use, is there something like this on the market?

Or would you advise against doing so for warranty reasons and such?

D

donottouch

I did with my. the strongest weather proof silicone glue from reynaers. They use it to glue and insulting aluminium window frames.

Sent from my C6603

douglam

May 23, 2007
As I don't want to send in my device and wait for days or weeks until it's fixed, I thought about making it more waterproof myself. I'm planning to treat the edges and rims of the front and back side. The places were there are small gaps and which are lifted or could lift.

To do this, I thought about some kind of waterproof glue or spray. It must be transparent, non poisonous and non smelly. Basically invisible. It should also be removable and not cost a fortune.

What should I use, is there something like this on the market?

Or would you advise against doing so for warranty reasons and such?

Definitely make sure it is removable for warranty purposes.

I just find it stupid to have to modify the phone to compensate for a design defect. Needless to say that it's definitely going to mess up the phone's appearance as well.

---------- Post added at 06:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 AM ----------

I did with my. the strongest weather proof silicone glue from reynaers. They use it to glue and insulting aluminium window frames.

Sent from my C6603

Can you please post some pictures of your work? :)

drsoran2

Apr 25, 2011
Germany
I know, it's kinda stupid that I want to do this, but there is only 1 repair center in Germany from Sony Mobile! It would take quite long and in today's time, every day without smartphone is a lost day. I simply can't imagine myself without the phone for more than maximum 2 days.

Also, I'm just too afraid that something could happen to it right now, even when in rain. I'm not talking about submerging it into water. Although, after the treatment, I'm planning to do this. Summer and swimming pools is now :)

Yeah, I'd love to see pictures too. I'm afraid the glue would be visible and look ugly after the treatment?! Could I also use aquarium silicone glue or such? I don't really know what kind of glue you mean and which I should buy.

Rekoil

May 17, 2008
Göteborg
www.idroidproject.org
Hypothesising here, but if I were to waterproof mine myself, I think I would start by completely lifting off the back glass, finding the correct silicone/glue, apply that to where the glass attaches now, and plop the glass back in.

...but I'm not gonna do that because I'm much too afraid I would **** it up, so I just sent mine in yesterday. The service centre website says a device is usually fixed within 14 days. I very much doubt it'll take that long but we'll see.

douglam

May 23, 2007
Hypothesising here, but if I were to waterproof mine myself, I think I would start by completely lifting off the back glass, finding the correct silicone/glue, apply that to where the glass attaches now, and plop the glass back in.

...but I'm not gonna do that because I'm much too afraid I would **** it up, so I just sent mine in yesterday. The service centre website says a device is usually fixed within 14 days. I very much doubt it'll take that long but we'll see.

Yeah, it's more likely for me to mess up the phone too. So what exactly did you say to the service staff when you brought your phone in?

Rekoil

May 17, 2008
Göteborg
www.idroidproject.org
Yeah, it's more likely for me to mess up the phone too. So what exactly did you say to the service staff when you brought your phone in?

I've sent it in with the message "2 month old phone, back glass coming unglued" loosely translated from Swedish. This is most certainly a warranty case, no doubt about it.

For the record I noticed this before ever submerging my phone post-ungluing. All indicators are white.

alexpraga

Mar 18, 2009
I have contacted Sony Iberia (Portugal and Spain) and they told me that this problem is not listed/identified by Sony as a manufacturing defect.

They advise me to send my phone to a service center without being able to quantify how much time is needed for the repair.

Sent from my Xperia Z

douglam

May 23, 2007
I have contacted Sony Iberia (Portugal and Spain) and they told me that this problem is not listed/identified by Sony as a manufacturing defect.

They advise me to send my phone to a service center without being able to quantify how much time is needed for the repair.

Sent from my Xperia Z

Well. I think they will not openly admit that it's a defect but just fix it on a case by case basis. And I think many people have a protective case on, so they will never notice it. Or maybe a tight case can add pressure to the back panel and will not come loose?

Anyway, they will only find out whether there is a defect if there are lots of warranty claims. Maybe after this summer we will hear something different because people will be doing more water activities in summer. :)

pjgowtham

Apr 25, 2011
My right corner near camera is loose..just now noted that..gosh it's not that obvious ..

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

vibecatalin

Jul 6, 2008
If is really a design fault then theoretically all the Xperia Z's who are build until they figure this out will eventually lift no?

ex19961996

Apr 9, 2013
my xperia had a very little invisible glass lifted but i got anyway a water damage (i was lucky that i damaged only the power button) i think that the xperia z is made with good materials but bad way to build it D:

douglam

May 23, 2007
If is really a design fault then theoretically all the Xperia Z's who are build until they figure this out will eventually lift no?

So far, we've seen that the lift is consistently at the same corner near the camera. This is happening with users all around the world with all very different ways of handling the phone. I don't think it's random nor coincidence.

Sony will have to wait till more and more users feedback before they realize it's a design fault because the lift doesn't happen overnight. And since the lift is small, a lot of users, especially those who use phone cases, might not notice the lift.

Last edited:

denniskrol

Mar 8, 2007
Ah, now I finally know where the water came from, last time I took the phone with me in the shower(yes I know...) Now lets see how good the warranty in China is, cause I also have 2 red indicators.
Edit: purple 6602, if anyone cares

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try heat it up again at that point e.g. with an hairdryer and then press it for a time while it cools down again. Maybe it works.

Sent from my Xperia Z

I think that is a really bad idea.
    Take it back.
    If you try to repair it, and do more damage then your warranty is gone..

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app
    I've made the thread a sticky, if someone's willing to make and maintain a first post with general information and updates with a reaction from Sony PM me.

Cheers,

Tijmen
    I have this issue too, the glue melts when the phone is heating which will eventually gets harder after cooled up. This combo will lift the glass bit by bit. There is an easy solution for this like I did on my. I heated up with a hairdryer or just open up a game with the charger on it, this will get the glue melt again and then push the glass back on it and let it cool down for a minute.

It will stay for a long time back on now.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium
    Yeah! I guess they're right. That's the problem of being an engineer...

Let the good guys at Sony do the repair.

P. S. In any case you can see what they will do at Sony herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNrtamZuf7E.

Sent from my Xperia Z