Rooting non-standard Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
Desktop panel crash in 1.6?

For lack of a better term I will be referring to the multiple Android screens as desktop panels. Do correct me if you know the official term.

Has anyone experienced a desktop panel crash in 1.6?

I have experienced severe desktop panel crashes in the past (1.5), which is characterized by a blank screen, then wallpaper loads, then icons, then widgets for several seconds. In the past I have attributed this event to a severe slow down of the CPU.
Now, I am inclined to label this a crash.
In 1.6, the desktop panel crash occurs: the panel has to re-render all icons and widgets, and "desktop panel location" (green bar). Upon crash it initially indicates that you are on the center panel even if you are not. Fixes itself when you try to switch to another desktop panel.

Last edited:

taitai

Jul 7, 2008
@taitai
What do you mean install input? The DSTL1 (and N2 I imagine) uses touch screen input in addition to hardware buttons.
Hardware buttons:
  • Call (SIM 1)
  • Home (SIM 2)
  • Back
  • Hang Up (Power)
  • 5 button Directional Pad (D-Pad)
  • volume rocker (rock up and rock down)
  • camera (half press and full press)

Are you experiencing problems installing an APK package?
Please make sure "Unknown sources" is enabled: Settings > Applications > Unknown sources.

Please list adb commands you are trying to use and their respective results.

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was text input method, the one I tried was HTC Touch Chinese "HTC_CIME.apk".

Installed but yet cannot choose different keyboard layout.

is adb install xxxx.apk OK?

Any hints?

I tried another few times with your android market patch, no luck
still stuck at the home screen with the screen locked. Press the button in the middle (menu) with no response to unlock

pacoge

Nov 3, 2009
N21 Owner

:D
ATTENTION N21 owners

Please contact me before you flash your brand new N21!

I would like a copy of your phone's firmware before you overwrite it with something else.

Much thanks in advance!

-crzyruski

Hi crzyruski,
I've received a few days ago my N21. May I help you with this?
I've installed the usb driver in my PC from generalmobile DSTL1 site and the phone is recognized as an Android Sooner Composite Interface.

At the phone the versions are:
Model Number: yh_x2
Firmware Version: 1.5
Baseband version: 20/05/09,st32,x2a,m1
Kernel version: 2.6.28-svn1781
Fri Sep 25 14:56:02 CST 2009
Build Number:CUPCAKE.eng.long.20090925.190338.r1789
When entering in recovery mode:
It shows the logo of General Mobile and DSTL1 :)
and this messages:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
RecVer: Fri Jul 10 19:15:42 CST 2009

Recovery Tools:
HOME: Sd-card update
CALL: Board test
BACK: Factory reset
POWER: Reboot system

I'm just installing the Android SDK, I suppose I'll need it :D

Paco

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
@pacoge

Great news. Please hold on for me, I need to make a custom recovery image for you. It shouldn't take long, but I am unavailable now. In 12 hours I will be.
Thanks so much!
-crzryruski

:D

Hi crzyruski,
I've received a few days ago my N21. May I help you with this?
I've installed the usb driver in my PC from generalmobile DSTL1 site and the phone is recognized as an Android Sooner Composite Interface.

At the phone the versions are:
Model Number: yh_x2
Firmware Version: 1.5
Baseband version: 20/05/09,st32,x2a,m1
Kernel version: 2.6.28-svn1781
Fri Sep 25 14:56:02 CST 2009
Build Number:CUPCAKE.eng.long.20090925.190338.r1789
When entering in recovery mode:
It shows the logo of General Mobile and DSTL1 :)
and this messages:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
RecVer: Fri Jul 10 19:15:42 CST 2009

Recovery Tools:
HOME: Sd-card update
CALL: Board test
BACK: Factory reset
POWER: Reboot system

I'm just installing the Android SDK, I suppose I'll need it :D

Paco

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
@taitai

Have you tried seeing if the new installation has given you more option in Settings?

Whenever I install a new keyboard I have to change my settings.
When I installed Better Keyboard, I had to:
  1. Enable it through settings - Settings > Locale & text
  2. Change input method - long press on any text input field and you should get a popup window with options, one of which should be "Input Method". Here you should be able to select any additional keyboard you installed
I do not know how HTC_CIME works... but I found a Chinese blog (I cannot read some of it), maybe it is useful to you: http://www.sofee.cn/blog/2009/05/01/214/

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was text input method, the one I tried was HTC Touch Chinese "HTC_CIME.apk".

Any hints?

Any hints?

Load into recovery and select "board test" option.
One of the tests will be to test your keys. Press the center D-pad (menu) key to identify if it works at all and what number it corresponds to. Please tell us the number that your center D-pad key is.

I tried another few times with your android market patch, no luck
still stuck at the home screen with the screen locked. Press the button in the middle (menu) with no response to unlock

Best of luck!

taitai

Jul 7, 2008
Appreciated you help , key tests results are as follows:-
up (103) pressed
down(108)pressed
left(105) pressed
right(106) pressed
centre -> Keyboardlight ON (I think it skipped into next test)
the call button is (231) pressed
home(102) pressed
back (158) Pressed
end(107) pressed
camera(212) pressed
volumeup(115) pressed
volumedown(114) pressed

BTW is it OK to flash the CM-Recovery1.4.img?

& can I manually install the market using ADB?

Last edited:

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
@taitai

Note: You are probably the first N21 to try the 1.6 package...

Seems you have a problem with your center key, as far as your test results show.
This could be the difference between N21 and DSTL1.
This could also be a defect of your device.
We need to do more comparisons:
  • Someone with an unmodified N21 should run the same test and post their findings.
  • Someone with a modified N21 should run the same test and post their findings.
I believe another N21 owner, pacoge, has yet to modify his device. Maybe we can request the original N21 recovery from him, as well as his test results for the center key.

Appreciated you help , key tests results are as follows:-
up (103) pressed
down(108)pressed
left(105) pressed
right(106) pressed
centre -> Keyboardlight ON (I think it skipped into next test)
the call button is (231) pressed
home(102) pressed
back (158) Pressed
end(107) pressed
camera(212) pressed
volumeup(115) pressed
volumedown(114) pressed

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4821934&postcount=21

BTW is it OK to flash the CM-Recovery1.4.img?

I doubt you could apply the google apps patch without a custom recovery image. Without Google Apps patch your device runs fine? Center key works?

can I manually install the market using ADB?

Last edited:

taitai

Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for your advice.

May I ask how did you zip and unzip?
Did you do it using Linux? OSX? Wins?
Since when I try to rezip something, error shows "system-validate-script"not found error

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
@taitai

Read post by wineleven in the beginning of this thread. I used Linux, but I'm sure OSX can be used. The functionality of the zip is what is essential here.

Thanks for your advice.

May I ask how did you zip and unzip?
Did you do it using Linux? OSX? Wins?
Since when I try to rezip something, error shows "system-validate-script"not found error

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
Thanks.

I am using OSX to rezip the CIME from this
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=512530
using the recovery mode

and gave me error when rezipping. Thanks for the tip.
Since I am not much a computer guru

I recommend you use the adb push method.
The reason for this is if you attempt to use an HTC update it won't work because it is not made for our devices. The technical reason behind it is our recovery is customized for our devices and requires customized updates.
If you can't figure it out via adb push, PM me and I'll create a custom patch.

ikarishinjisan

Oct 23, 2009
I'm N21 user, and I have upgraded to 1.6 without problem (Thanks crzyruski).

Till now, I've not encountered any error (but I haven't had time yet to install Google Market. But I will probably try soon ;-)).

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
I'm N21 user, and I have upgraded to 1.6 without problem (Thanks crzyruski).

Till now, I've not encountered any error (but I haven't had time yet to install Google Market. But I will probably try soon ;-)).

Thanks for the update :)
Please keep us posted on any bugs you encounter and any solutions you may come across.

taitai

Jul 7, 2008
Could someone kindly enough to post their N21 ROM cos, I didnot backup mind before flash into 1.6 . I remember the ROM said 200909xxxx something.

Well, after 2 days struggling, I managed to rezip the package under OSX, strangely somehow is OSX castrated its unix zip function. One could never managed to give the correct format using zip.

To rezip under OSX use ditto -c -k /path_to_source /outputzip

For market patch,

Oddly enough, I edited the "system-update-post-script" and remove the line "fomat system: DATA"

and update via recovery mode, it OK , setup run and eveything works . (?????)

(Is that because the screen calibrate program??? or what????)
If so, how to disable the screen calibrate program at from the installer script?

Also, if I also include the line "format system: DATA" while installing some other packages, then the same thing happened again. Screen locked and stay unresponsive. Weird.
????

For HTC_CIME, I had no luck, whether install via push or update.zip
dunno why also. Instead I used some other Android input and its works (like A4, GB).

Well thats all for now. Thank crzyruski for all his advices.

Shall continue to investigate those ?????????

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
Could someone kindly enough to post their N21 ROM cos, I didnot backup mind before flash into 1.6 . I remember the ROM said 200909xxxx something.

Well, after 2 days struggling, I managed to rezip the package under OSX, strangely somehow is OSX castrated its unix zip function. One could never managed to give the correct format using zip.

To rezip under OSX use ditto -c -k /path_to_source /outputzip

For market patch,

Oddly enough, I edited the "system-update-post-script" and remove the line "fomat system: DATA"

and update via recovery mode, it OK , setup run and eveything works . (?????)

(Is that because the screen calibrate program??? or what????)
If so, how to disable the screen calibrate program at from the installer script?

Also, if I also include the line "format system: DATA" while installing some other packages, then the same thing happened again. Screen locked and stay unresponsive. Weird.
????

For HTC_CIME, I had no luck, whether install via push or update.zip
dunno why also. Instead I used some other Android input and its works (like A4, GB).

Well thats all for now. Thank crzyruski for all his advices.

Shall continue to investigate those ?????????

Very cool!

I am glad you got the Google patch to work.
Someone on this forum must know the necessity of "format system: DATA" for this patch? I can only imagine that it resets all system data... but doesn't a factory reset do the same thing? Don't you have to recalibrate after 1.6 install? Why does things function fine in for DSTL1 users but not well for N21? I was told the hardware was identical.

In order for someone to make a backup of their original ROM you have to do the following:

Do not flash any other ROM (of course).
When you flash ROM you lose your original ROM and your original boot.
You have to use a custom recovery... there is not one available for the DSTL1 / N21, yet... I am working on it with other members. We will release once available (very exciting).
Once you have the custom recovery, go into recovery mode and use NANDROID (easy) :)
OR
Once you have the custom recovery, go into recovery mode. ADB into it. gain root access. run cat /proc/mtd this gives you NAND partition. This will help you identify what to backup. Then do it:
cat /dev/mtd/mtd1 > /sdcard/mtd1.img (boot)
cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/mtd2.img (system)

More info on NAND partitions here1 and here2

In the meantime you can use my DSTL1 1.5 rooted ROM if you wish to return back to the world of 1.5... but why? 1.6 is so good, even in beta that going back to 1.5 is like going back to stone age :p
If you need 1.5 back use my rooted 1.5 ROM here

@taitai
Maybe you would like to release your modified patch for other N21 owners to enjoy? Once, you believe you have a quality package :)

crzyruski

Sep 8, 2009
Google Apps patch FIXED thanks to taitai and testers

The Google Apps patch has been fixed.

Please re-download and re-apply via donut recovery.

If you experience boot (or reboot) problems, it is suggested to do a Factory Reset at risk of losing all data (thus backup).

MANY THANKS to taitai for his diligence in hammering this one out.
Thanks to testers as well!

Please post all bugs / solutions / comments / concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.