[ROM] CyanogenMod 11 Nightly Builds for Nook Color

Search This thread

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
The NookieDevs are pleased to announce CyanogenMod 11 nightly builds for the Nook Color!

These experimental builds contain the latest changes to CyanogenMod and to hardware support for the Nook Color. As the name suggests, new builds are made and posted (roughly) every day; these builds are fully automatic, with no testing done before posting. As CyanogenMod 11 is still under active development, regressions and general breakage are to be expected in nightly builds!

Highlights:
  • Linux kernel 3.0.101, plus hardware support from TI OmapZoom's android-omap3-3.0 branch and board support forward-ported from BN kernel releases.
  • All of the features of CyanogenMod 11, based on Android 4.4. For Nook Color, this brings a reduced memory footprint, which leads to a better all-around user experience.
  • Full 2D and 3D graphics acceleration using both the GPU and the display subsystem's hardware overlay acceleration (hwcomposer).

Known issues:
  • Video playback is slower than on previous releases -- this is most noticeable when playing HD 720p video.
  • Bluetooth is broken at the moment after changes for Qualcomm Bluetooth chipsets were merged into CyanogenMod.
  • Current releases of Netflix do not work with CM10.2 -- version 1.8.1 is the last version known to work. If you want/need a newer release of Netflix, look into the Xposed mod, which provides a workaround for Netflix -- pastordl has done a nice writeup of the process here.
  • ART (the experimental Android runtime introduced in 4.4) is not supported -- if you enable it, your system will not boot. (Workarounds may exist, but they are not going to be officially supported either -- use them at your own risk.)

Download:
http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=encore&type=nightly

Note that an updated recovery is required to install CM11. ClockworkMod 6.0.4.8 and newer versions should work, as should other recoveries provided the required changes are included. (Ask the maintainer of the recovery if you're not sure.) NOTE: Do not use ClockworkMod 6.0.3.x builds older than 6.0.3.6, as they contain a bug which may brick your device!

Source code:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-11.0 (device-specific source)
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_bn_encore (kernel)
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android/tree/cm-11.0 (manifest for the rest of the CyanogenMod source)
Build instructions (discussion of build issues belongs in the development thread)

This release is the product of much effort by many people over a considerable period: many thanks to fattire, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor, dhiru1602 and many more. Thanks are also due to the CyanogenMod project, upon which we are building, and Texas Instruments, which historically provided excellent support for its embedded platforms to the open-source hacking community.

XDA:DevDB Information
CyanogenMod 11 Nightly Builds, ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Contributors
steven676, keyodi, fattire, The CyanogenMod Project, NookieDevs, many others (see post)
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2014-01-30
Last Updated 2014-05-15

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Google Apps; other CyanogenMod builds

Google Apps
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

As of 2014/07/25, the latest release for CM11 that is known to work is 20140105. DO NOT use the 20140606 release unless installing to SD card -- it contains over 100 MB of additional bloat and will not fit on an eMMC installation!

If you wish to use another Google apps package, and are installing on eMMC, please note that the Nook Color has what is by modern standards a limited amount of disk space available on /system (440 MB) -- the base system is currently in the neighborhood of 300 MB, so some of the larger packages will not fit. If you're offered different variants, choose the smallest one in order to avoid problems.

Please make sure that you have the correct Google Apps flashed before reporting problems involving the Google Apps (Play Store, Google Keyboard, etc.).

Other CyanogenMod builds

This is the thread for CM11 nightly builds. There are other official CyanogenMod builds for Nook Color available:
  • Stable releases of CM10.2 and CM10.1 -- these are the releases to use if you don't want to be on the bleeding edge.
  • Archived nightly builds for CM10.2, CM10.1, and CM10. You may find the last CM10 nightly (20130421) faster than the later releases, particularly during playback of HD 720p video.

Please check that your questions are in the appropriate thread. (If you're interested, there's lots of past discussion in those threads, as well as the development thread.)

Last edited:

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Frequently Asked Questions and Troubleshooting

The install fails with errors from "set_metadata_recursive"!
The installation appears to succeed, but nothing's changed when I reboot!

You'll need an updated recovery to install CM11. For CM11 nightly builds from May 16 and later, any recovery that reports itself as ClockworkMod 6.0.4.8 or later should work; other non-CWM recoveries should work if they incorporate the necessary changes to suppor these builds (you'll have to ask their maintainers for details).

For older CM11 nightlies, any recovery that reports itself as ClockworkMod 6.0.3.6 or later should work; other non-CWM recoveries such as TWRP 2.6.3.0 or later should be fine provided the kernel is sufficiently new (you'll have to ask their maintainers for details). NOTE: Do not use ClockworkMod 6.0.3.x builds older than 6.0.3.6, as they contain a bug which may brick your device!

I installed CM11, wiped /data, and now my tablet's been booting for an awfully long time. Is something wrong?

First boot will take at least five minutes, and the boot animation currently stops many times during this process. If you've been waiting more than 10 minutes and it's still not booted up, you probably have a problem.

The soft keyboard keeps crashing!
The Play Store is acting up!

Did you flash the correct Google Apps? If on an eMMC install, are you sure your Google Apps fit on /system?

How do I install this to an external SD card?

See this excellent guide by leapinlar for instructions. It's reported that Google apps installation is broken in the SD card installer at the moment, so you may need to wait for that to be fixed.

What happened to the "Developer options" and "Performance" screens in Settings?

They're hidden by default now in CM10.1 and later. To show them, go into "About tablet" and tap the build number (for CM11 nightlies, it'll be something starting with "cm_encore-userdebug 4.4.2 KOT49H" or "cm_encore-userdebug 4.4.3 KTU84M") seven times.

How do I get the Honeycomb/ICS tablet UI?

You can't -- Google killed it off in Android 4.4.

The lock screen doesn't rotate!
The screen doesn't rotate to the sides I want!

Particularly if you're upgrading from an existing install, you may find that the preferences for screen rotations are incorrectly set. Go to Settings->Display->Rotation and check that "Auto-rotate screen" and (if you want the lock screen to rotate) "Rotate lock screen" are set.

For the allowed screen orientations, selecting 0, 180 and 270 degrees will cover the rotations that you probably want. If you want details:
Android likes to think of the "natural" orientation (0 degrees rotation) as landscape with the N key on the right side of the screen. (This is a change from CM10 and earlier, when we were carrying a hack to change this.) The degrees of rotation are counted in the counterclockwise direction, so in essence, each of the rotation settings allows the following:
  • 0 degrees: landscape orientation with the N key on the right side of the screen
  • 90 degrees: portrait orientation with the N key on top ("upside down")
  • 180 degrees: landscape orientation with the N key on the left side of the screen
  • 270 degrees: portrait orientation with the N key on the bottom ("right side up")
I enabled ART, and now my Nook Color won't boot!

ART isn't supported on Nook Color at the moment due to known issues:

• The initial compiling pass that happens the first time you enable ART may cause your tablet to run out of both RAM and disk space.
  • Many of the Google apps packages for CM11 are incompatible with ART.

If you're currently stuck in a bootloop after enabling ART, boot into recovery and then see this post by fattire for advice on how to restore your system to a working state.

I can't get any of the ROMs or recoveries for Nook Color to boot!

Before you go any further -- are you sure you have a Nook Color and not a Nook Tablet? The two devices look almost identical, but Nook Color (model number BNRV200 -- check the fine print near the speaker grille on the back) has a dark gray bezel, while Nook Tablet (BNTV250) has a light gray or silver bezel. The two devices are not interchangeable -- Nook Color software will not boot on Nook Tablet and vice versa.

If you've got a Nook Tablet, you want to be in the Nook Tablet forums instead.

I'm having a problem with my Nook Color running CM11.

That's not a question :p

Okay, I'm having a problem with my Nook Color running CM11 -- is there something I can do to troubleshoot?

Glad you asked! Please check the following:

• Does the problem occur with a clean install of CM11? This means wiping /data and not restoring a Nandroid backup afterwards. Don't restore system apps and/or their data in Titanium Backup either (user apps/data are okay).
  • Are you overclocking? If so, does the problem occur when you set the maximum clock speed to 1000 MHz or below? To be clear, we are not interested at this point in bug reports of any kind that happen if you have the maximum CPU speed set above 1000 MHz. If you're experiencing system crashes or "sleep of death" (SOD), you may also wish to try capping the CPU clock speed to 800 MHz (but if this helps, please report your problem here and fill out the hardware survey).
  • Do you have any patches, custom kernels, or other tweaks applied? If you do, does the problem occur without those applied? (We're not necessarily going to ignore bug reports from patched or tweaked systems outright, but it can make our job harder, and we do need to know what changes you have applied to judge whether or not the change might be relevant to your problem.)

I'm having no luck with the suggestions above. What information should I include with my bug report?

When reporting a problem, please include the following information if at all possible:
  • Full description of the problem -- "it crashes" doesn't count. How do you trigger the problem (or does it occur by itself)? What exactly happens when the problem occurs? How often does it happen?
  • For problems with apps or specific pieces of the system software: we'll almost certainly ask for a logcat of the event, so you'll save everyone some time by including it.
  • For problems involving system freezes, crashes, or SOD: if you can connect to the tablet via adb while it's "unresponsive", please provide dmesg and logcat output from that time. If you cannot, try power-cycling it while it's still plugged into USB, and provide dmesg output from immediately after the reboot, plus the contents of /proc/last_kmsg if that file exists (let us know if it doesn't).
  • For unexpected reboots: provide the contents of /proc/last_kmsg from after the reboot.

Last edited:

ibilln

Jan 17, 2012
San Francisco
Now that everyone has squared me away (in the 10.2 thread) on the you-need-CWM-6.0.4.5-to-flash-CM11 issue, I hafta say, after 2-3 hrs, this CM11 is quite good! No hard numbers, sorry, but seems reliable, faster than 7.2, and, of course, the UI is vastly better. Waytago steven676, keyodi, fattire! Thanks!

Reactions: fattire and etvoila

volpo222

Mar 14, 2013
Hello everyone,

To run off of an SD; I created a new SD (sandisk 8gb) with the latest image from Leapilar, the nightly and suggested GAPPS (gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip). There were some error messages from the GAPPS (they scrolled off before I could really read them). The NC booted to the desktop but there was no play store.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

V

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Hello everyone,

To run off of an SD; I created a new SD (sandisk 8gb) with the latest image from Leapilar, the nightly and suggested GAPPS (gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip). There were some error messages from the GAPPS (they scrolled off before I could really read them). The NC booted to the desktop but there was no play store.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

V

If your errors match the ones reported on the SD installer thread:

I then tried to install the 2014/01/05 gapps package using your/verygreen's script and saw this message:
"Hangouts.apk exists but is not a regular file" The script died at this point and shutdown. After booting, you cannot add a google account as it appears it is a very incomplete gapps install.

then it's the bug mentioned in the FAQ -- it looks like the SD installer needs an update.

Reactions: volpo222 and bowguy

tp2215

Oct 2, 2010
Orlando
Just curiuos if anyone has an oppinion to how cm11 is running on the device. I originally flashed cm10.1 when I first rooted and it ran INSANELY slow and laggy, probably due to the low ram etc. But was forced to run CM7 and it ran perfectly and have been running it ever since. I know that 4.4 is supposed to have lower dependencies for running on older/slower devices but anyone got some input on just how good it runs? I am going to probably try it later on tonight, it will just take me a while cause i got to backup my sons game data first or hill kill me.

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
Just curiuos if anyone has an oppinion to how cm11 is running on the device. I originally flashed cm10.1 when I first rooted and it ran INSANELY slow and laggy, probably due to the low ram etc. But was forced to run CM7 and it ran perfectly and have been running it ever since. I know that 4.4 is supposed to have lower dependencies for running on older/slower devices but anyone got some input on just how good it runs? I am going to probably try it later on tonight, it will just take me a while cause i got to backup my sons game data first or hill kill me.

Just DOOOO it :)

(not that I'm encouraging you one way or the other)

EAK128

Mar 18, 2011
Thanks guys just flashed it and so far this looks great, I'd say it's smoother than 10.2 and multitasking is just a bit better. Couple of small issues came across were rebooting to recovery doesn't work for me it just reboots, also had a soft reboot and after it booted up the systemui kept crashing and wouldn't let you do anything, but a regular reboot fixes it.

tp2215

Oct 2, 2010
Orlando
Just flashed in it looks great! Feels MUCH smoother and snappier then 10.2. Minor issue that boot take a long time. It seems to me like the boot keeps freezing but eventually continues. No force closes or anything. I am trying now to enable ART and play with it a little to see if it drasticaly improves it. It seemed to make a little bit of a difference on my S3.

Edit: You may want to add to the op, DO NOT enable ART. It sends it into a reboot loop.

Last edited:
Reactions: steven676

bowguy

May 7, 2012
Ventura
Just flashed in it looks great! Feels MUCH smoother and snappier then 10.2. Minor issue that boot take a long time. It seems to me like the boot keeps freezing but eventually continues. No force closes or anything. I am trying now to enable ART and play with it a little to see if it drasticaly improves it. It seemed to make a little bit of a difference on my S3.

Edit: You may want to add to the op, DO NOT enable ART. It sends it into a reboot loop.

I found out how to enable ART on the Nook Color. When you select ART as the runtime in Developer options, the tablet reboots but gets stuck in a bootloop. The problem is during bootup, a lot of files are being converted but the Nook runs out of memory. Then it crashes, reboots and tries again and never gets past it. However the boot animation takes a lot of memory during this process.

Solution: Disable boot animation. What you need to do is open the File Manager app. Go to settings (lower right icon) and General Settings. Under Advanced, Access Mode, select either User Prompt or Root Access mode. You need to alter a root file. Any prompts you get make sure to allow superuser access.
Now navigate to /system touch on build.prop and open with "Editor". Add the following line to the end of the file:

debug.sf.nobootanimation=1

Save the file and exit File Manager.
DO NOT ENABLE ART NOW!!
First make sure you did this correctly by rebooting your nook. Make sure you DO NOT see the Cyanogen logo when it boots up - it will take a while with a blank screen and then go to your standard lock screen. If you see the animation logo, you did something wrong, try again.

Now you can enable ART in the Developer Options. When it reboots, wait a while (2 min?) then you should see the optimizing apps display. A basic install with gapps has about 85 apps to convert. This will take a while.

Report back with results!

We are working on it. There is a modification pending that might fix this but hasn't been tested yet.

steven676

Nov 24, 2011

Yeah, actually steven, if someone has issues with ART you might wanna link here. You can recovery from an ART bootloop w/o reinstalling or anything weird.

Yeah, release noted and added to the FAQ. We'd known about this earlier, but it slipped my mind when I was writing up the release notes :eek:

We are working on it. There is a modification pending that might fix this but hasn't been tested yet.

Be aware that this may not work for you if you've installed to eMMC on a Nook Color with a 1 GB /data partition -- disabling the boot animation saves RAM, but won't prevent you from running out of disk space to store the ART compiler output (the "oat" files).

Reactions: webyrd and bowguy

succulent

Dec 22, 2010

If you compiled cm-11.0 with width 480 boot animation, ART will work. Initial boot and optimiziation will be longer than with Dalvik. You also get smoother boot animation. Also, revert boot to landscape in kernel config while you're at it.

micl9

Feb 27, 2011
NC

Same here - both 10.1 and now 11.0 are slow. I was hoping a clean install and CM11 would cure the slowness.
I am at work and don't have my nook with me so will have to gather data tonight. its been along time since I even turned on the nook so I am no even sure what my memory config is.

But AWESOME work all you nookie devs!

eyeballer

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in

ibilln

Jan 17, 2012
San Francisco
wifi bug

Only issue for me so far (on the 1/29) is that if I set settings/wifi/advanced to "keep wifi on during sleep/only while pugged in" it won't re-connect when waking up. Have to re-connect manually. Leaving wifi on permanently for now.

Arbelzapf

Oct 29, 2010
Only issue for me so far (on the 1/29) is that if I set settings/wifi/advanced to "keep wifi on during sleep/only while pugged in" it won't re-connect when waking up. Have to re-connect manually. Leaving wifi on permanently for now.

drmarble posted a patch in the dev thread, so you can fix it if you're building yourself.

Sadly, the official nightlies aren't fixed yet. So I can confirm this known bug :p

I also had a reboot while displaying a gif in QuickPic. When it came back, the default launcher was reset and its init messages were shown :confused:

It's the first reboot I ever had on CM11. I attached the last_kmesg for your troubleshooting pleasure. I hope there's something valuable in there

Attachments

• last_kmsg.txt
    30.2 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: webyrd and ibilln

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The NookieDevs are pleased to announce CyanogenMod 11 nightly builds for the Nook Color!

These experimental builds contain the latest changes to CyanogenMod and to hardware support for the Nook Color. As the name suggests, new builds are made and posted (roughly) every day; these builds are fully automatic, with no testing done before posting. As CyanogenMod 11 is still under active development, regressions and general breakage are to be expected in nightly builds!

Highlights:
    • Linux kernel 3.0.101, plus hardware support from TI OmapZoom's android-omap3-3.0 branch and board support forward-ported from BN kernel releases.
    • All of the features of CyanogenMod 11, based on Android 4.4. For Nook Color, this brings a reduced memory footprint, which leads to a better all-around user experience.
    • Full 2D and 3D graphics acceleration using both the GPU and the display subsystem's hardware overlay acceleration (hwcomposer).

Known issues:
    • Video playback is slower than on previous releases -- this is most noticeable when playing HD 720p video.
    • Bluetooth is broken at the moment after changes for Qualcomm Bluetooth chipsets were merged into CyanogenMod.
    • Current releases of Netflix do not work with CM10.2 -- version 1.8.1 is the last version known to work. If you want/need a newer release of Netflix, look into the Xposed mod, which provides a workaround for Netflix -- pastordl has done a nice writeup of the process here.
    • ART (the experimental Android runtime introduced in 4.4) is not supported -- if you enable it, your system will not boot. (Workarounds may exist, but they are not going to be officially supported either -- use them at your own risk.)

Download:
    http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=encore&type=nightly

Note that an updated recovery is required to install CM11. ClockworkMod 6.0.4.8 and newer versions should work, as should other recoveries provided the required changes are included. (Ask the maintainer of the recovery if you're not sure.) NOTE: Do not use ClockworkMod 6.0.3.x builds older than 6.0.3.6, as they contain a bug which may brick your device!

Source code:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-11.0 (device-specific source)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_bn_encore (kernel)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android/tree/cm-11.0 (manifest for the rest of the CyanogenMod source)
    Build instructions (discussion of build issues belongs in the development thread)

This release is the product of much effort by many people over a considerable period: many thanks to fattire, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor, dhiru1602 and many more. Thanks are also due to the CyanogenMod project, upon which we are building, and Texas Instruments, which historically provided excellent support for its embedded platforms to the open-source hacking community.

XDA:DevDB Information
    CyanogenMod 11 Nightly Builds, ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Contributors
    steven676, keyodi, fattire, The CyanogenMod Project, NookieDevs, many others (see post)
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2014-01-30
    Last Updated 2014-05-15
    ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.4.8 (required for new CM11 nightlies)

Here's a new ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.4.8 build, including the changes required to install CM11 nightlies from May 16 or later.

This recovery is fully install-location-agnostic: it'll install to either eMMC or external SD, and operate on whatever it's installed to! (In other words: if you install it to eMMC, the format and backup/restore options will touch the eMMC installation; if you install it to SD card, they'll operate on the SD card instead.) The recovery will tell you on startup whether it's managing an eMMC or SD card install (look for the message at the bottom of the screen).

When used on eMMC, this recovery should be able to install any recent OTA package. When used on an SD card install, most recent addon packages (such as Google apps packages) should install, but only new eMMC/SD card location-agnostic ROM OTAs (such as CM11 nightlies from May 16 or later) will install successfully. (Unlike the test CWM 6.0.4.8, attempting to install an older ROM OTA package to SD card will not result in the eMMC being modified; the installation will appear to succeed, but nothing will be changed. We're still exploring ways to ensure that older OTAs fail outright.)

This is one of the last pieces of infrastructure we need in place for easier installs and single builds that install to both eMMC and SD without change.

Source: kernel (the current tip of the encore-omap3-3.0.y branch), device/bn/encore tree (the current tip of the cm-11.0 branch).

Install instructions on eMMC: flash the ZIP as you normally would.

Install instructions on SD card: first, either upgrade to a CM11 build from April 7 or later, or update the bootloader separately. Then, plug your SD card into your computer and open the ZIP there. Copy "kernel" to "uRecImg" on the first partition of the SD card, and "ramdisk-recovery.ub" to "uRecRam". (Make backup copies of those files first! If you currently have the SD card installer on the SD card, those are the boot files for the installer; if you move them to "uAltImg" and "uAltRam", respectively, you can then still access the installer by selecting "SD Card Alternate" from the Cyanoboot menu.)

Install instructions on SD card with CWM 6.0.4.8 or later already installed: just flash the ZIP from recovery.

EDIT: replaced -v2 with -v3 to fix automatic installation of OTA updates via the CM updater.
    For those that need them, here are flashable zips of CWM 6.0.4.7:
    EMMC Recovery: http://techerrata.com/file/eyeballer/twrp/cwm-6.0.4.7-encore-signed.zip
    EMMC AltBoot: http://techerrata.com/file/eyeballer/twrp/cwm-6.0.4.7-encore-ALT-signed.zip

Also, I've built an updated TWRP 2.6.3.0 which is compatible with CM11 and would appreciate some testers to confirm everything is working, please see here and report feedback in that thread only: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49886829
    What gets me is that encore is still in the popular CM device list, with 76,500 active users reporting in. I got mine in Nov 2010 and still have it, running KK. It started w/stock running Eclair I think (Android 2.0.x) Not a bad run.

The reason encore is still popular is cuz we have a supportive user community and some very talented developers :)
    Coming changes which might affect app compatibility

As discussed over in the dev thread, I've landed a change to only report hardware we actually have on the Nook Color in CM, which should be part of nightlies starting February 10. While this change brings us into compliance with the Android Compatibility Definition on this front, and not lying about supported hardware is probably a good idea regardless of what standards documents say, there is a possibility that some useful apps will no longer be installable on the Nook Color because of this.

Some background: back in the old days, it was necessary to do this because the CDD (written with phones in mind) required all devices to have things like a camera, microphone and GPS, and apps were written to blindly assume that they were present. Since 2.3, though, this hardware is no longer required from all Android-compatible devices, and apps are no longer supposed to assume their presence without declaring a need for them. With the proliferation of non-phone Android devices since the release of Android 4.0 (wifi-only tablets, TV set-top boxes, ovens, ...), it should no longer be necessary to lie about hardware present in order to get apps to install and run.

That said, a large majority of Android devices in the wild still do include things like a GPS and compass, so there are likely still applications out there which either blindly assume their presence or assert a need for them despite being perfectly usable without. Hopefully, there aren't any "important" apps in that set, but we're willing to consider backing out this change if the impact on app compatibility turns out to be too significant. If you find that an app you've previously installed on your device is now reported as "Not compatible with your device" by the Play Store after this change, please report it here, but also get in touch with its maintainers -- if the app can use a hardware feature, but does not require it, it should be declared as android:required="false" in the app's AndroidManifest.xml file.