Which ICS ROM is better?

Search This thread

jakob95

Sep 14, 2011
NYC
Is the official leaked ICS ROM better then Thors current ICS ROM? Because I am running Thor's currently, and was wondering if its worth to update to the official leaked ICS ROM. I don't care much about features and stuff, all I need is something that functions good, and how its supposed to run.

Reactions: anikiup

diiorio

Jan 25, 2011
Depends on which of the brocken versions you want to use. None have full function. Some are more buggy then others. None use proper resolution, nor the new Tegra 2 optimizations, nor the addtional HDMI fuctions.

Probably best to wait for the upcoming offcial build, which will include all the optimizaitions, resoultion changes, dual layer dashboard, Acer wheel, then root it and go from there.

jm77

Sep 24, 2008
It depends on your level of technical ability.

I would recommend:

1. Reading through the links below
  2. Install RA via Acer Recovery Installer (use custom image option)
  3. Flash Stock, then flash CWM version via RA Recovery (all in one step, losing recovery)
  4. Install unlocked bootloader+custom recovery

Advantages:

• Keep root
  • Unlock bootloader
  • Keep recovery
  • Remount /system rw (requires terminal app)
  • Remove bloat manually
  • Camera works
  • No sleep of death
  • Basically stock

I'm really pleased with my A500 right now, so this is what I'm running.

Last edited:

Psichi

Dec 7, 2008
Plano
dorkitude.tumblr.com
Is the official leaked ICS ROM better then Thors current ICS ROM? Because I am running Thor's currently, and was wondering if its worth to update to the official leaked ICS ROM. I don't care much about features and stuff, all I need is something that functions good, and how its supposed to run.

How do you measure better?

I am running flexrom and it is smooth. You can always just make a nandroid and see how the other builds run. I haven't run Thors rom, so I can't give you a comparison.

Sent from Big Bertha

----
Advantages:

• Not violate GPL blatantly
  • Avoid burning in hell and bad karma for violating GPL

Is it necessary to be that aggressive to someone who is clearly an end-user? Why not state that "all of the roms released here benefited from an open collaborative environment from developers. This is why things like the GPL are important, because everyone can benefit by sharing knowledge that results in a quick resolution to issues that arise."

There is no need to attack people like a zealot

Last edited:
Reactions: daveid

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Is it necessary to be that aggressive to someone who is clearly an end-user? Why not state that "all of the roms released here benefited from an open collaborative environment from developers. This is why things like the GPL are important, because everyone can benefit by sharing knowledge that results in a quick resolution to issues that arise."

Just wanted to emphasize this point... nice

wolverine423

Feb 22, 2011
Tennessee
Depends on which of the brocken versions you want to use. None have full function. Some are more buggy then others. None use proper resolution, nor the new Tegra 2 optimizations, nor the addtional HDMI fuctions.

Probably best to wait for the upcoming offcial build, which will include all the optimizaitions, resoultion changes, dual layer dashboard, Acer wheel, then root it and go from there.

This sounds like a troll post.

None use proper resolution? Is that a joke?
None have full function?

Flexreaper R4 is running well for me. No complaints. Seems just as functional as Honeycomb to me since full root and /system write permissions.

haag498

Dec 31, 2011
ATM the ROMs based on the Acer leak are by far the best, as they have practically everything working (contraty to what some other poster thinks). There are some small omissions (like face unlock) and probably a few bugs that didn't yet show up, but other than that they are surprisingly fast and stable (I'm using FLEXREAPER R4, too).
As to violating GPL... well, in the end probably both do, but in thors case it's a good bit worse as he has a choice while vache (and those building on his leak) haven't.

dman918

Jun 13, 2007
Crystal Lake
Came from Thor's as well. I then went to Lightspeed, which ran well but is really stripped down. If you want a pretty bare-bones ROM, this is good for that. I am now on Taboonay, which has seemed every bit as fast and smooth, yet also includes wallpapers, extra widgets, etc. I haven't tried Flexreaper so I can't speak of that one. Both I have tried were smoother than Thor's IMO.

Reactions: erupe
S

SugarCoatedAngel

I'm waiting for a full version...

wolverine423

Feb 22, 2011
Tennessee
I'm waiting for a full version...

Gee, what a helpful post we have here...
Good for you.

Probably the safest thing to do.

Another extremely helpful post!

Other than Face unlock and the Acer ring, the leak is a full version. (vache has the Acer ring in his Rom. Not sure if they have face unlock working yet.)

My advice to anyone who is curious, do a backup and try it for yourself. If you don't like it restore your backup.

Sylense

Dec 8, 2010
I'm running Lightspeed Beta5 now and so far it's running great. As mentioned before it is pretty barebones but if that's your preference it works well.

civato

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
If you want extra Acer system apps , go here and pick the "You want the extra Acer system apps" , you can use them on all the ICS roms that are based on the Leaked rom.

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
Try them and USE YOUR Own Judgement.is best .

THere is only one real piece of advice that can be giving to Op..
You do know how to flash a rom. You do know how to read a thread.. My best Sis to read the User post in each rom Thread. (Something i have done). Then make a Decision based on your Opinion of what you have read. And flash the rom that best suits you. If you do not like that flash another. Just remeber to do a nand backup between each and you can try them all .Try them until you are satisfied with the rom you choose.

THE ANSWER IS There is no answer. Do Not Try to make it a Competition between the roms. They are all great.. ALL OF THE Development in the roms have been done by people taking time out of there life to make them available for all.. Respect that. Follow the flashing INstructions . be careful and have fun..

if you want the BEST User experience. With the least bugs. go back to 3.2.1 Fully stock..

thanks for listening to my two Pennies. oh well maybe 3 or 4..

Now im Going to take a Bath.

Reactions: mhsamma

jakob95

Sep 14, 2011
NYC
Can I update to the stock ICS ROM straight from Thors ICS? Like put the update.zip into the SD card, and press power and volume up for it to automatically update? Or that won't work?

lowsum

Aug 25, 2011
Quebec City
Can I update to the stock ICS ROM straight from Thors ICS? Like put the update.zip into the SD card, and press power and volume up for it to automatically update? Or that won't work?

Yes it works, but I assume you have cwm recovery installed so if you don't want to loose cwm, don't flash Acer's stock update.zip. I suggest Lightspeed ICS over thors ics. At least it worked fine for me. Clear cache & dalvik before. Don't forget to backup just in case.

jakob95

Sep 14, 2011
NYC
Yes it works, but I assume you have cwm recovery installed so if you don't want to loose cwm, don't flash Acer's stock update.zip. I suggest Lightspeed ICS over thors ics. At least it worked fine for me. Clear cache & dalvik before. Don't forget to backup just in case.

But if I do flash Acer's stock update.zip will it work? Couldn't I just reroot after with the tool?

erupe

Sep 27, 2011
Washington, DC
battery life

Came from Thor's as well. I then went to Lightspeed, which ran well but is really stripped down. If you want a pretty bare-bones ROM, this is good for that. I am now on Taboonay, which has seemed every bit as fast and smooth, yet also includes wallpapers, extra widgets, etc. I haven't tried Flexreaper so I can't speak of that one. Both I have tried were smoother than Thor's IMO.

How is battery life compared to v96?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

How do you measure better?

I am running flexrom and it is smooth. You can always just make a nandroid and see how the other builds run. I haven't run Thors rom, so I can't give you a comparison.

Sent from Big Bertha

----
    Advantages:

• Not violate GPL blatantly
    • Avoid burning in hell and bad karma for violating GPL

Try them and USE YOUR Own Judgement.is best .

THere is only one real piece of advice that can be giving to Op..
    You do know how to flash a rom. You do know how to read a thread.. My best Sis to read the User post in each rom Thread. (Something i have done). Then make a Decision based on your Opinion of what you have read. And flash the rom that best suits you. If you do not like that flash another. Just remeber to do a nand backup between each and you can try them all .Try them until you are satisfied with the rom you choose.

THE ANSWER IS There is no answer. Do Not Try to make it a Competition between the roms. They are all great.. ALL OF THE Development in the roms have been done by people taking time out of there life to make them available for all.. Respect that. Follow the flashing INstructions . be careful and have fun..

if you want the BEST User experience. With the least bugs. go back to 3.2.1 Fully stock..

thanks for listening to my two Pennies. oh well maybe 3 or 4..

Now im Going to take a Bath.