[Q] What device are you upgrading from and why?

Search This thread

vervester

Feb 6, 2008
I've had nexus devices (Nexus 4 then 5) over the last couple of years and had to get used built in battery and storage. This has always bothered me to some degree as i have always felt I've had to compromise one way or another.

The LG G3 now seems to tick all the boxes. Ive never spent the best part £500 on a phone, however i think the LG G3 covers all the bases with removable battery and Micro SD storage plus additional upgrades all round.

The one thing i do love about my nexus 5 is the screen, just hope the screen is a big enough improvement to warrant the expense.

What are your reasons for upgrading from your current device?

markfm

Mar 27, 2013
I have a RAZR MAXX (not HD). The battery doesn't hold a charge so well any more, and the radio is acting wonky (periodic loss of data connection, requires a phone restart). It's served me well, but time to retire it.

Personally I wish LG had stayed with a 5" 1080 screen, for overall size and run time, but the G3 looks like it gets me to a good point -- a phone that should be a solid performer for someone who keeps them for several years before replacing.

(I have a Nexus 7 2013 that I tether to my phone when I really want a larger display. It's a great replacement for a laptop at meetings, fitted with a BT keyboard/case and mouse, so the 5.5" on the G3 is a "mehh" -- not large enough to replace my Nexus, yet a bit too large for me to be thrilled by on a phone. Everything is a compromise :) )

FligMupple

Jan 20, 2013
I really liked my Moto X, but always prefer a phone with a replaceable battery.

Then I dropped it in a horrible (ie. minor) skateboard accident, and cracked the screen. I liked the Galaxy S's, but VERY DON'T LIKE the button placement. Turn off your phone? Oops... just lowered the volume first. Make it louder? Oops... turned it off. I can't believe the S5 *still* has that terrible button placement.

So because the Moto X screen was cracked, and the battery was getting a bit lame after almost a year of use, and because Samsung still can't place a button if their lives depended on it, I turned to the very nice LG G3.

sebbevanb

Aug 15, 2011
Coming from the G2, stands between the G3 or the OnePlus if I can get an invite before the G3 comes in. Why? Because the screen on my G3 have gotten a crack!:(

IXChicharitoXI

Aug 3, 2012
I have a Galaxy S3. (fantastic phone in its prime.)

I feel like I'm due for an upgrade. The battery life has gone down hill and I just want something new.

The G3 has really caught my attention but the questionable battery life and locked bootloader has me questioning myself. If I don't get a G3, I'll wait for the Note 4.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using XDA Free mobile app

stunt_101

May 6, 2013
I had the Xperia Z before switching over to my G3.

There are so many reasons why I made the switch, but one that stands out is the poor battery life paired with the non-removable battery on the Z that always bugged me. The second reason was that the flaps of my Z were becoming lose and one even came off which rendered the water proof feature useless. The third is just the features that the G3 offers. Some say the screen and laser focus is a gimmick, but results speaks for itself. I am so glad i've purchase the G3.

Maine_Coon

Sep 24, 2009
I had the Xperia Z before switching over to my G3.

There are so many reasons why I made the switch, but one that stands out is the poor battery life paired with the non-removable battery on the Z that always bugged me. The second reason was that the flaps of my Z were becoming lose and one even came off which rendered the water proof feature useless. The third is just the features that the G3 offers. Some say the screen and laser focus is a gimmick, but results speaks for itself. I am so glad i've purchase the G3.

What a coincidence. I have Z Ultra, which is going to be ebayed soon.

And I got Z Ultra to replace G2.

misiokicio

Jul 4, 2010
Bathgate
Galaxy s4... fantastic phone but like the G3 better lol. And s5 doesn't add much over the s4 and more expensive too so lg is gettin my money this time

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

What a coincidence. I have Z Ultra, which is going to be ebayed soon.

And I got Z Ultra to replace G2.

Lol, nice to see some others here too. My Z Ultra is falling apart badly! That's one of 2 reasons. The other is in trying to get used to smaller screen size again. Z Ultra is pocket splitter when it comes to my work. I'm surprised I haven't broken it in 2 yet.

Sent from my C6833_GPe using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Maine_Coon

Sep 24, 2009
Lol, nice to see some others here too. My Z Ultra is falling apart badly! That's one of 2 reasons. The other is in trying to get used to smaller screen size again. Z Ultra is pocket splitter when it comes to my work. I'm surprised I haven't broken it in 2 yet.

Sent from my C6833_GPe using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Well, mine is basically brand new, got it a month ago to replace my i6000 (6.5") and G2, which was just wrong phone for me.

Now really hope G3 will be my dream phone. For a while :D

2dorr

Jan 15, 2007
Bucharest
I had a Note 3 and even though I was very happy with it, I thought that a screen almost the same size with the one in Note 3 but in a smaller phone, can be a good exchange. I really want a big screen with the smallest bezels. Now I am using a Moto G and the only thing I hate is the 4.5 inch screen.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Last edited: