[ODIN+CWM] GB Ext4 Starter Pack (Nov 24)

Search This thread

anon1ski

Mar 24, 2009
philadelphia
I'm trying to run this on my sgs4g and for some reason my phone isn't being recognized when it goes into download mode. I have the correct drivers installed (as i have odin'd things to it before). Also when i hold vol +- and plug in my usb it doesn't go into download mode. i can onlt get there from the reboot menu. Any idea on why?

FBis251

Mar 21, 2011
www.fernandobarillas.com
Last edited:

anon1ski

Mar 24, 2009
philadelphia
Ehhh. I'm just becoming bored. So i was going back to original to start all over. But now i just flashed Black and its stuck at boot. So i think its actually NOT hardware.

Nexus_

Jul 6, 2011
Dallas
Well I followed these steps and it worked but after I flashed a new rom CWM won't mount anything. So can I do this process over after doing it or how do I fix CWM from this point?

Last edited:

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
That is download mode. You are still good.

First try different USB ports on your computer.

Edit: FB is still here. Disregard my post.

Last edited:

FBis251

Mar 21, 2011
www.fernandobarillas.com
Well I restarted my computer and now my phone has that (phone)---(computer) sign and won't boot into download mode and odin won't recognize it. Um what now? :eek:

firmware_upgrade_fail.jpg

That screen is download mode. Pull out your battery and let the phone sit for 5 minutes, then try from step 6 again.

Nexus_

Jul 6, 2011
Dallas
firmware_upgrade_fail.jpg

That screen is download mode. Pull out your battery and let the phone sit for 5 minutes, then try from step 6 again.

Alright well I did that and odin recognized it and odin is working right now, it seems to be taking a while on "factoryfs.rfs" but i'll wait another while to see if it goes.

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Yeah it got stuck at factoryfs.rfs. Any advice on what to do now? And thanks for the help FB!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    presents.png

Okay, I'm tired of seeing people not be able to get on the GB ext4 bandwagon where apps don't disappear. This guide is for you if you want a smooth, surefire way to get on GB.

NOTES
    * The KC1 and KJ6 files contain bootloaders for the SGH-T959V. By downloading and flashing the files you agree that you will not hold me or anyone in Team Acid responsible if your device gets bricked. There are always risks when flashing custom firmware and ROMs onto your phone.
    * As always, make a full backup of your SD card and phone.

FEATURES
    * Root
    * CWM + drhonk's custom KJ1 kernel preinstalled.
    * Gets rid of the disappearing apps problem
    * Gets rid of the missing SD card once you're booted into GB
    * Gets rid of your bootloops
    * Get a working GB ROM with ext4 support (includes Official KJ6 with drhonk's custom KJ1 + cwm kernel)
    * All the files you need are included in this post
    * Wipes out all the gremlins you had on your phone by putting the KC1 bootloaders, then the KJ6 bootloaders on your phone.

PREREQUISITES
    1) Download all the files from the links on this post, and extract both .7z files and Odin v1.85 using 7-zip or a compatible program
    2) Leave the phone's back cover off since you're gonna have to do a few battery pulls and you need access to the sd card
    3) Format your sd card by hooking it up to your computer with an sd adapter or through mass storage mode using your phone and a USB cable.
    FORMATTING ERASES EVERYTHING ON YOUR SD CARD. MAKE SURE YOU BACK IT UP ONTO YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE YOU DO THIS.
    Follow this guide to format your sd card on Windows (this is on XP but the same steps can be taken on Vista or 7).
    This guide is meant for using your sd card on a Wii, but the process is the same to get it working on the phone.
    WATCH THE VIDEO ALL THE WAY TROUGH BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY OF THIS.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5fxOKdmmv8
    Click on the link above if you wanna watch fullscreen, or you can watch here it here:

INSTRUCTIONS
    1) After formatting the SD card with the steps above, put your favorite GB ROM, and install_busybox.zip onto the SD card
    - 1a) You can restore any backup of your SD card you made at this point. Make sure you have at least 2GB free on the card though!
    2) Put your phone into download mode
    3) Open Odin on your computer
    4) Load up Odin, and load the KC1 files, DON'T TOUCH ANY OTHER OPTIONS, leave them like they are even if Odin changes them!
    - 4a) PIT: Sgs4g.pit
    - 4b) PDA: pda.tar.md5
    5) Flash and let the phone reboot. Once you see the T-Mo startup screen (the pink one), OR the CWM (red text) screen do a battery pull.
    6) Put your phone back into download mode
    7) Click reset in Odin, now load up the KJ6 files
    - 7a) PDA: pda.tar.md5
    - 7b) CSC: csc.tar.md5
    8) Flash the files and let the phone reboot.
    - 8a) The phone will go into standard recovery (blue and yellow letters, you might hear Linda) and then reboot itself once.
    - 8b) The 2nd time you will see either the CWM red letter screen or the Galaxy S 4G white letters/pink splash screen and if you prefer you can let the phone boot all the way, do a battery pull.
    9) Now unplug the USB cable, put the battery back in, hold vol + and -, then press power. You should boot into CWM (red letters, voodoo).
    10) Go into the voodoo menu > enable lagfix and /system lagfix on
    11) Flash the GB rom you put on your sd card
    12) Flash the busybox_installer.zip
    13) Reboot and hear Linda give her speech.
    14) Welcome to GB with ext4!

CREDITS
    For helping me expand my knowledge:
    krylon360
    whitehawkx
    drhonk
    chadster214
    golmar88
    Team Acid
    raverx3x for the CSC flashing trick that fixes the missing apps problems and for the KC1 and KJ6 builds
    dsexton702 for his countless guides which help me build mine.
    The helpful members of this community

TESTIMONIALS
    It was all a blur. I followed your steps and all I remember was some cable and talking to the ruler of Asgard then their was a crazy battery pull then back to Asgard and then i had a one way conversation with some fembot named linda and it all ended with me having gingerbread.

Thanks for the help.

CHANGELOG
    Nov 24, 2011
    Updated the guide and files for the official KJ6 GB release. Now you get Raver's KJ6 ROM plus drhonk's KJ1 kernel + voodoo.

Sep 27, 2011
    Changed the formatting and added a youtube video link on how to format your sd card from your computer instead of CWM.

Aug 18, 2011
    Initial release

LINKS
    7-zip
    Odin3 v1.85.zip
    install_busybox.zip
    fb_kc1_bootloaders_cwm.7z
    fb_kj6_official_kj1_kernel.7z
    Im on gingerbread 2.3.6 how can i get back to froyo?

Odin the KC1 files in the OP.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium
    A quick story: I just bought this phone for my son. He saw that it was rooted and had the red recovery. He sees me flash roms all the time on my Note 2 and the wifes SGS2 Skyrocket and decided he wanted to as well, so he flashed ULTIMATUM ZYLON JB 4.2.2. I know before he flashed he was on KJ6. Well I guess he didn't know about the file systems differences and it messed things up. He tried a restore and that made thing worse. That's when he brought it to me to fix it (this worked perfectly by the way).

He still wants something JB based, so my question is will this allow him to flash xylon again or are there other steps he needs to take? Thanks in advance.

I would flash either basic with a twist kernel or blastoff kernel then flash whatever rom he wants.

First we have to make sure your phone is indeed an SGH-T959V or SGH-T959W. Those are the only two models we have roms for in this forum. To check you can lift your battery and see if the model matches either one of those.

The rom from this thread is fairly outdated, follow lumin's guide which will get you on stock KJ6 again. You can install a custom kernel which will let you flash any ICS/JB rom we have.

I know that I'm telling you to use a one click, but you can also learn how to use the regular heimdall gui to mix and match the files that will get flashed as you can do with Odin.

As limeaide recommended, you should flash either of those kernels.

I'm assuming you meant this rom that you tried flashing?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2323780

That should work fine, just make sure you download it again and check the md5 checksum dao has posted in his downloads.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+check+an+md5+checksum
    It might be overkill for you, but yes it'll work as long as you have a properly formatted sd card.

Just know that this will wipe everything on your phone so look for a CWM gingerbread rom. There's a few good ones right now. I'm using audiophile ftw

Sent from my awesome SGS4G
    Your going to get a few questions for the people who were on the leaked first version of GB with the jacked bootloaders - So I was thinking you might want to add How to get back to a proper Froyo version like KD1 in your post.... .Kc1 for some reason didnt work for me - and I somewhat know what Im doing...lol....Im just saying tho.... happened to me... :)

This will actually revert you back to a full KC1 with bootloaders, wiping the GB bootloaders that were bad, then it puts you on the KH2 bootloaders which I haven't had any trouble with and haven't heard anyone complain about. That's why I wrote this guide, this is all working.

I thought the partition was 1024

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA Premium App

As crackpot and others have mentioned, 2048 might actually work best for you. If you formatted to 1024 and it worked, stick with it, the point is to get a method working for you that works every time.