[Q] Rooted NST not recognized by PC

Search This thread

DoomMunky

Mar 1, 2012
Apologies if this duplicates an old thread, but I couldn't find another one...

I rooted my Nook Simple Touch using Touchnooter 1.1, and now it can't be recognized by my PC. I can't copy files to it.

I bought several Google eBooks recently that I'd like to read on my NST, but they can't be loaded, as Adobe Digital Editions can't see the Nook (or doesn't recognize it). Google Books doesn't work, either. It just stays on a rotating 'loading' icon forever, never loading the book.

Any thoughts?

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Not recognized? You mean on USB? No volumes mounted?

You can certainly transfer your books over ADB on WiFi if that's working.

If you can get to a shell on ADB try a "mount" command.
The last two lines should be like:
Code:
/dev/block//vold/179:6 /media vfat rw ...
/dev/block//vold/179:17 /sdcard vfat rw ...

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
Apologies if this duplicates an old thread, but I couldn't find another one...

I rooted my Nook Simple Touch using Touchnooter 1.1, and now it can't be recognized by my PC. I can't copy files to it.

I bought several Google eBooks recently that I'd like to read on my NST, but they can't be loaded, as Adobe Digital Editions can't see the Nook (or doesn't recognize it). Google Books doesn't work, either. It just stays on a rotating 'loading' icon forever, never loading the book.

Any thoughts?

Using a root method that enables ADB over USB can mess up the drivers on Windows and make the Nook partition inaccessible.

There are two options:

1: Re-root with a ramdisk that enables ADB over WiFi (might not help)
2: Properly install Google drivers for ADB over USB (search this forum)

DoomMunky

Mar 1, 2012
Dammit. It's so darn complicated. I was hoping to recommend this method to my non-geek friends so they could have simple little tablets too, but this all is just too much work for them (and for me). This is why people buy Apple. :(

If I go back to a rooted Nook (I returned to stock) I'll look into this stuff. Thanks for the tips, folks.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Oh! Check what driver you have on the Windows machine.
Under "Device Manager" if it shows Android anywhere then you have the Android ADB USB drivers loaded.
This would prevent the USB Mass Storage driver from being loaded.
Did you load the ADB USB drivers?

DoomMunky

Mar 1, 2012
God, I have no idea if I loaded the ADB USB drivers. I just did the normal TouchNooter1.1 install, which includes basic Google Apps.

Then when my PC didn't recognize the rooted NST, I gave up and went back to stock! I'm not a true rooter. :(

DoomMunky

Mar 1, 2012
Only by reverting to stock firmware. I'm running basic 1.1 now, no Android anything, and it's fine.

If I end up re-rooting in the future, what steps should I take to ensure my PC still allows simple book transfers to my Nook Simple Touch?