[HOW TO] Barclays Mobile Banking working on rooted S3

Search This thread

smar

Aug 27, 2005
London
Whilst not as elegant as the solution above (and for those struggling to get this to work), I've found that temporarily disabling root through Siyah kernel's STweaks allows the Barclays app to work without any issues. However, this does require a reboot afterwards to revert back to the rooted status (fortunately doesn't take too long on these phones), plus the fact that you've got to go through this disabling process each time you want to use the banking app.

riahc3

Oct 28, 2009
Anyone have the APK? For some reason it says most devices are incompatible...

asmanthebell

May 17, 2007
As an update to my previous posts.

This has completely confused the hell out of me, but then I don't code, so it's probably no wonder it's confused me.

My phone died, again (damn you HTC) so I re-installed the ROM i was using. Problem was, the Barclays app started *****ing about root.

Crazily, I found that simply going into SuperSU's settings, tapping "Reinstall" (so it cleans something up on your phone, then removes itself) and then re-installing it from Google Play, somehow makes the Barclays app unable to see that the phone is rooted and it worked perfectly, as does Pingit!

No idea what it does, but I've tried it about 4 times (just to make sure) and it worked every time.

This works on samsung galaxy note 2 whoop cheers mate.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD app

Ronaldo_9

May 7, 2010
London
i'm trying this on a Galaxy nexus but no joy, since root the barclays app wont send sms to verify.

Any one have a older version of the app that works with the method above?

Last edited:

coleburns

Dec 22, 2010
London
Can I assume it was previously working for you and stopped, or have you only just tried it? What rom are you running and what version of the app are you trying it on?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

IT has never worked for me actually. I am trying to using it on a galaxy nexus and the latest version of the app

Thank you

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Did you try my way?

Go into SuperSU, to settings, mark as to reinstall, let SuperSU close itself and remove itself, go into Google Play, install SuperSU, should work perfectly.

Does on my new SGSIII.

To clarify, uninstall supersu via the app, reinstall via the store and then install the barclays app?

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Did you try my way?

Go into SuperSU, to settings, mark as to reinstall, let SuperSU close itself and remove itself, go into Google Play, install SuperSU, should work perfectly.

Does on my new SGSIII.

Hello again, found your link and follwed your steps but no luck. Only thing i noticed was that when i went to install
supersu, it asked me to update not install from the market. So the reinstall button never uninstalled

Was this any different for you?

DarrenCarnall

Aug 26, 2010
grrrrr I used to have this barclays app working (Galaxy S3 on Slim Rom) and now for some reason it keeps giving me the 'this app won't work on rooted devices' error and I can't get onto it. I'm not sure what changed..... I might have been using it when I was on CM10 and when I went onto Slim Rom (which works much better for me) the problem started. But I hadn't used the barclays app in a while so I'm not sure exactly when it stopped working. I've tried every single method in this thread (despite the very first post USED to work for me) ...and none of them work now. I'm stuck. SO frustrating. I'm not even sure having root access is worth it now as this app is very useful for me.

Any way to 'un root' your phone? Or does that happen as part of a new rom? I can't even remember now lol... I've been out of this game a while.

ssmmdd

Aug 19, 2007
Taunton, Somerset
ssmmdd.co.uk
Hello again, found your link and follwed your steps but no luck. Only thing i noticed was that when i went to install
supersu, it asked me to update not install from the market. So the reinstall button never uninstalled

Yes, it's different for me. The reinstall option worked fine, it fully removed itself.

I'm now on an International S III (I'd had enough of HTC's crappy build quality/problems) and, using the same method as I explained before, it worked a treat.

Step by step:

1. Open SuperSU.
  2. Tap "SETTINGS".
  3. Scroll down until you see "Reinstall". Underneath "Reinstall" it should say "Cleanup for reinstallation from Google Play"
  4. Tap "Reinstall"
  5. It'll show a confirmation box. Tap "Continue"
  6. The app should close, and the SuperSU icon should disappear from your Apps list.
  7. Install SuperSu from Google Play as you would any other app.
Just as a note, when you first run the reinstalled SuperSU, it will show a message saying that the binary needs updating. I have always let it install the update.

The Barclays Banking and Pingit apps should now work and register without any problems. This includes using the latest version of both apps and SuperSU.

dudeman1996

Aug 29, 2010
London, UK
Yes, it's different for me. The reinstall option worked fine, it fully removed itself.

I'm now on an International S III (I'd had enough of HTC's crappy build quality/problems) and, using the same method as I explained before, it worked a treat.

Step by step:

1. Open SuperSU.
  2. Tap "SETTINGS".
  3. Scroll down until you see "Reinstall". Underneath "Reinstall" it should say "Cleanup for reinstallation from Google Play"
  4. Tap "Reinstall"
  6. The app should close, and the SuperSU icon should disappear from your Apps list.
Just as a note, when you first run the reinstalled SuperSU, it will show a message saying that the binary needs updating. I have always let it install the update.

The Barclays Banking and Pingit apps should now work and register without any problems. This includes using the latest version of both apps and SuperSU.

I tried this with my Galaxy Nexus when I had PA 4.2 on it, which had SuperSU. I've just changed to CM10.1, which uses Superuser, installed the app and it doesn't seem to detect that I'm rooted. But now I'm not getting the SMS verification text, and when I click resend it says error in connection and force closes. Any ideas?

ssmmdd

Aug 19, 2007
Taunton, Somerset
ssmmdd.co.uk
I tried this with my Galaxy Nexus when I had PA 4.2 on it, which had SuperSU. I've just changed to CM10.1, which uses Superuser, installed the app and it doesn't seem to detect that I'm rooted. But now I'm not getting the SMS verification text, and when I click resend it says error in connection and force closes. Any ideas?

I had MAJOR issues trying to get the Barclays App to work nicely with Superuser, so in the end I gave up and tried SuperSU, which worked a treat. I'd highly recommend dumping Superuser and installing SuperSU, which may help.

Just make sure you un-install it properly, Superuser should have an option in its settings which will clean the phone properly (like SuperSU does), or you'll run into all sorts of problems.

dudeman1996

Aug 29, 2010
London, UK
I had MAJOR issues trying to get the Barclays App to work nicely with Superuser, so in the end I gave up and tried SuperSU, which worked a treat. I'd highly recommend dumping Superuser and installing SuperSU, which may help.

Just make sure you un-install it properly, Superuser should have an option in its settings which will clean the phone properly (like SuperSU does), or you'll run into all sorts of problems.

Well superuser doesn't have the option to remove itself and I suppose I can't just delete the apk. Any one know how to properly remove so superuser?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

dudeman1996

Aug 29, 2010
London, UK

Yeah as soon as I start using supersu the app just says it doesn't work on rooted devices and closes, even after doing the reinstall trick. With superuser it would get to the SMS screen but mess up there..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

coleburns

Dec 22, 2010
London

Step by step:

1. Open SuperSU.
  2. Tap "SETTINGS".
  4. Tap "Reinstall"

Thanks for the detailed walk through. However it would seem my phone has been cursed from working with this app

Got toreinstall, it closed the app but the app was still in the app list
So i tried the store and i had an option to update which i didnt do
Restarted the phone, went to the app and got a prompt to update. Clicked yes and then tried to reinstall to avail. IT no longer closed the app

I am running aokp m1 4.2
Any ideas?

ukformula

Nov 10, 2010

Step by step:

1. Open SuperSU.
  2. Tap "SETTINGS".
  4. Tap "Reinstall"

This worked for me. Thank you.
Galaxy Note, stock Rom, rooted.

QPR_FC

Jan 25, 2013
Đã Nâng
Sony Xperia XZs
LG V30
it works on Nexus 4 too

Step by step:

1. Open SuperSU.
  2. Tap "SETTINGS".
  4. Tap "Reinstall"

I followed these instructions on my Nexus 4 and it now works after weeks of error code 99999

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen a few threads asking if it is posible to get this working on a rooted S3 so thought I'd share how I got it running. This appears to ONLY work with Barclays apps!

Software Needed:

ES File Explorer (free from Play Store)
    Barclays Mobile Banking / Pingit (also free from the Play Store)

Steps:

1: Open ES Explorer options and make sure you enable 'Up to Root' & 'Root Explorer'.
    2: Navigate to '/system/xbin/' and long press on 'SU' and select 'Hide' from the menu.

NOTE: if you update the SuperSU binary, you will need to do step 2 again!

That's it! No more messing around. You don't need to touch anything else before or after you open the app like temp unroot/hide root. I dont know if Barclays can solve that with an update so I don't plan on updating the app. I'm not a coder and don't know a lot about the technical details of Android so if you run in to problems I can only TRY to help you.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Step by step:

1. Open SuperSU.
    2. Tap "SETTINGS".
    4. Tap "Reinstall"

The Reinstalling worked ace! :)
    What I did by mistake though-
    In SuperSU Settings:
    1) Full unroot
    2) Install Mobile Banking from Market
    3) Go through the steps of activating your account in the app
    4) Flashed SuperSU from zip http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053 From Recovery. Because After full unroot I tried installing though market and got error binary cannot be installed.
    5) In SuperSU update binary

In SuperSU Settings
    6) Reinstall
    7) Download SuperSU from Market and update binaries

Final Run Mobile banking again to see if it worked :)
    I have and use Superuser (instead of SuperSU) on my phone, but for some reason SuperSU was also on it. Once I deleted SuperSU from system/app using ES File Explorer, both the Barclays & Pingit apps worked fine, even though the phone is still fully rooted via Superuser.

This tells me that the Barclays App is simply looking for the SuperSU App on your phone - if you don't have it, it assumes all is well and loads.

I guess the App doesn't check if the phone itself is actually rooted, edited or modified in any way, it just looks for the SuperSU app.

Hopefully Barclays wont realise there's also Superuser about, otherwise they'll get the app to look for that too.
    As an update to my previous posts.

This has completely confused the hell out of me, but then I don't code, so it's probably no wonder it's confused me.

My phone died, again (damn you HTC) so I re-installed the ROM i was using. Problem was, the Barclays app started *****ing about root.

Crazily, I found that simply going into SuperSU's settings, tapping "Reinstall" (so it cleans something up on your phone, then removes itself) and then re-installing it from Google Play, somehow makes the Barclays app unable to see that the phone is rooted and it worked perfectly, as does Pingit!

No idea what it does, but I've tried it about 4 times (just to make sure) and it worked every time.