[Q] Any news on if the new SD card policy is being reversed?

Search This thread

chris170569

Jul 24, 2012
Belfast
There is no need to root your phone. There is a file manager app called File Expert, that can access your external xd card.

Sent from my SM-G900F using xda app-developers app

AuGmENTor

Apr 17, 2012
Marlboro NY
Meh, I haven't run into that being a problem yet. But as has been pointed out, root fixes it, and I'm always rooted, so if it ever DOES become a problem I can deal.

AgtPower

Feb 1, 2013
This is complete and utter bull****. As someone who uses FolderSync and ES File Explorer a lot this bothers me to no end. Is Google trying to be like Apple and telling me what I can do with my device?

Make it at least optional in the settings. I don't understand this decision other than make SD cards and apps that work with it unattractive to users. I don't feel like rooting my brand new phone that still got warranty. Especially with that fancy eFuse thing Samsung put in their newer devices

hetalmp

Sep 11, 2008
My files app that comes with the phone is good enough for me. Haven't felt the need to use es explorer. I think it's a good decision to lock down on what apps can change files on SD card.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

Andy Ibanez

Aug 30, 2013
La Paz
www.andyibanez.com
Oh god, ever since I got this phone I thought my SD Card wasn't working properly anymore (I upgraded from an S4 that was o 4.3).

I use ES File Manager a lot. When I download things, I want to move them tk the SD Card. But all moving and file creation operations have failed on the SD Card. Now I know why. I wasn't aware there were SD changes on 4.4.

What a d**k move from Google. I want control over my phone. At least give me a way to change this without having to root and other magical voyages.

Sent from my SM-G900H using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can still use the stock app My Files on the S5 to read/write to the SD card...but yes Google is closing loopholes with each update. Just ask the folks that use FolderSync, worked at first with KitKat, then 4.4.2 came along and made it to where the app couldn't sync with the SD card anymore.

I'm one of the folder sync crowd and I'm not happy that apps I've paid for have been crippled in this way Foldersync's not the only app either. I know I could root the phone and get round it that way but at the moment that's not something I'm prepared to do. This all smacks of Google forcing us to use cloud services namely theirs! as a result if I have to go the cloud root it'll be anything but Google Drive.
    Yesterday I got a call from my network offering an upgrade to the S5 (from my current s3/i9300) which I accepted only to find out afterwards about the new SD card policy in kitkat.

Is there any news somewhere about if this change is being reversed anytime soon? Otherwise I'm considering returning the phone before I even get it.

Yes I have tried Google but I don't know if there's somewhere it's being mentioned somewhere that I missed e.g. Facebook or Google+.

I know there are root based fixes but I wouldn't want to root it (not yet anyway).

No, there are a few work-arounds (like Samsung still supporting app2sd, root,...). But Google isn't changing its policy on SD cards.
    After trying it out I've decided I'm going to return it, at least until this situation is fixed officially since within 5 minutes I was finding problems which never existed before.

If google are that concerned over SD card management they should at least give the option for the old system like supersu does for root..

It feels like Android is starting to turn into a half-a***ed ios.

FYI- If you root, you can fix the "sd card issue".
    Am I correct in my interpretation that to someone like myself, who only stores photos and music on external card, this has no effect?

From what I understand, yes and no.

The change is that most apps no longer have write access to anywhere on the SD card, the only exceptions I believe are system apps and MTP.

So if you only use the stock camera, file manager and MTP you should be fine AFAIK.

If however you use other apps e.g. isyncr, that will only be able to save files in it's own dedicated folder (e.g. exsdcard>Android>com.isyncr>music) and if you uninstall the app it will remove the data it's saved there so you need to backup anything first.

However, apps can READ anywhere so for example, you could have your music in a folder you can still use any compatible media player.

There however have been work arounds from what I've read, for example, using the Android media scanner it's been possible to delete compatible songs instead of directly deleting it.
    I think it's a good decision to lock down on what apps can change files on SD card.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

Seriously? Why would you be worried about the external SD card? It's the changes to internal memory that worry me the most

-Sent from Tapatalk