Anyone NOT using a screen pritector?

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 1198227

for me, a screen protector is a must. If you can spend hundreds on a phone like this, then why can't you spend a little more on a screen protector?

Because screen touch feels better without a screen protector maybe?...

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Dec 27, 2010
Rochester, NY
Had none on my Galaxy Nexus and it was terrible near the end of it's life. My Moto X had none and it was beautiful. None on my G2 for the first week and it seems awesome so far.

iisshaun

May 19, 2013
Kaitaia
Had none on my Galaxy Nexus and it was terrible near the end of it's life. My Moto X had none and it was beautiful. None on my G2 for the first week and it seems awesome so far.

The GNex has some other type of tempered glass (DragonTail?). It was softer than Gorilla Glass, and made it more susceptible to scratching but a little bit less prone to smashing. I never use a case or screen protector on any of my phones and the Galaxy Nexus was the only one to ever get scratches that you could see and feel (Everything else has little micro-scratches that can only be seen at specific angles). The GNex was the only phone I've dropped too, and it was on concrete right at the corner too. The screen was fine but the plastic body had to be replaced ($20, good as new).

So yeah, Gorilla Glass is fine without a protector, unless you mistreat your device.

Moppusan

May 14, 2014
Leola, PA
Google Pixel 7
So yeah, Gorilla Glass is fine without a protector, unless you mistreat your device.

From an iPod Touch 4G to an iPhone 4 to my LG G2 I agree. Never once scratched my screen, even after accidentally putting my keys in the same pocket.

Now, when I used my vibrating plate hand sander, that's a different story. Especially 150 grit. Yikes. HA can you imagine? I'd never do that to my one true love: my LG G2 (don't tell my wife).

rebar71

Mar 26, 2012
Austin, TX
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 11
no screen protector, no scratches - 9 months. my phone never goes in the same pocket with my keys. i do use a slim case - Tudia Melody. the case has a big enough lip around the edges that i can put the phone face down without the screen making contact with the surface it's resting on.

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I used one on my G2 for a while but it got scratches that started driving me crazy but I haven't put one on my new replacement. Hasn't been long yet but looks fine.

Probably will put one back on if I have a spare.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From an article: http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/i...ass-which-will-apple-use-in-iphone-6-3505553/

Sapphire Glass costs roughly 10 times more than Gorilla Glass. (Machine tooling is much more expensive and production about 4,000 times longer than Gorilla Glass at a much higher temperature)
    Sapphire Glass is roughly 1.6 times heavier than Gorilla Glass.
    The manufacturing process is not environmentally friendly because it takes about 100 times more energy to generate Sapphire than Gorilla Glass.
    It transmits less light. This means either the screen will be dimmer, or it will have to use more power.
    While scratch resistant, Sapphire breaks under less pressure than Gorilla Glass (according to a Corning test, therefore this is questionable).
    While most metals such as car keys are softer than Gorilla Glass 2 (6+ hardness) which is on the LG G2, quartz (hardness of 7), which is typically found in sand and rock, will definitely scratch it. Rock has been shown in controlled testing to easily scratch even Gorilla Glass 3. These are facts and are not in dispute. Net of it is that if you get a little bit of sand in your dedicated pocket and it rubs against your screen or on your finger that is used to swipe the screen, you will get a scratch.

Given that I can't tolerate scratches, even little ones, I normally swap out plastic screen protectors after a couple of months of use. Today, I use the iLoome Flex Glass which is rated at 8H. It is, by far, the best screen protector I've ever used. It is completely unnoticeable, and supposedly not susceptible to scratches from common materials.

#1 Talc
    #2 Gypsum
    #3 Calcite
    #4 Fluorite
    #5 Apatite
    #6 Feldspar
    #7 Quartz
    #8 Topaz / iLoome Flex Glass
    #9 Corundum
    #10 Diamond
    While most metals such as car keys are softer than Gorilla Glass 2 (6+ hardness) which is on the LG G2, quartz (hardness of 7), which is typically found in sand and rock, will definitely scratch it. Rock has been shown in controlled testing to easily scratch even Gorilla Glass 3. These are facts and are not in dispute. Net of it is that if you get a little bit of sand in your dedicated pocket and it rubs against your screen or on your finger that is used to swipe the screen, you will get a scratch.

Given that I can't tolerate scratches, even little ones, I normally swap out plastic screen protectors after a couple of months of use. Today, I use the iLoome Flex Glass which is rated at 8H. It is, by far, the best screen protector I've ever used. It is completely unnoticeable, and supposedly not susceptible to scratches from common materials.

#1 Talc
    #2 Gypsum
    #3 Calcite
    #4 Fluorite
    #5 Apatite
    #6 Feldspar
    #7 Quartz
    #8 Topaz / iLoome Flex Glass
    #9 Corundum
    #10 Diamond

8H does not stand for 8 on Mohs scale, but rather is a reference to the graphite pencil test, meaning it resists scratching from H8 graphite pencil, which basically means it is a BS value that usually misleads the consumer, and it is no harder than any window glass out there, or rather it is actually softer, because most normal glass is at least 9H(and that's still ways off of anything the hardness needs to be to resist sand).
    8 on Mohs scale would require some super special glass, of which I am not even sure they make(sapphire glass is Mohs 9, would love to have a screen protector made out of that) and that the iLoome is not, unfortunately.

The main and almost only real scratch danger for glass screens is common sand(no matter if it's gorilla or not, Gorilla glass doesn't protect you from scratches any better against sand than any ordinary piece of glass), so if you frequent areas that you might pick even a single grain of sand from, ALWAYS clean your pockets well before putting the phone back in there if you want to be absolutely sure of not scratching the screen, and check your palms for any grains that you might put in there on the same go, because you WILL have sand on there even if you think you haven't touched any, I have sad experiences of this from multiple accounts.

If one just frequents urban city areas with no real access to sand, one rarely gets any sand in one's pocket, thus having a very low probability of ever scratching their screen; so it is not really about luck, it is what kind of areas one frequents, and how tidy one manages to keep their pockets :)
    for me, a screen protector is a must. If you can spend hundreds on a phone like this, then why can't you spend a little more on a screen protector?