The PERFECT car mount

Search This thread

krazydonutboy

Jun 21, 2009
I just had a tinkering revelation and ended up making something in 30 seconds that i have been looking for for weeks.

Originally inspired by the car dock epoplive made as well as khaaan on Overclockers UK forums, I cut out the intermediary step of finding a case that the phone can snap in and out of easily. I ordered a suction cup mount for a Garmin Nuvi 205 off ebay for $4:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270626403250&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2572wt_1137

When I got it this afternoon, I took a look at the clip that is meant to hold the Garmin unit and thought that it looked quite close to the dimensions of the Captivate. Holding the phone in it, it was about 1/2" - 3/4" too wide. So I simply took a lighter, slowly and gently heated up the corners of the clip, and bent them slightly inwards. Out of luck, my guesswork bending resulted in a perfect fit. I added some thin sticky-back foam strips to make the fit more secure, and that's it!

The phone snaps in with purpose and is held in place even as I flail about testing it. It looks super clean, works well, was easy to make and cost a total of $4.

(The pictures were taken with my old E71x; when I find the charger for my point-and-shoot, I can get some better quality pictures up.)

Attachments

• 09092010072.jpg
    09092010072.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 3,556
  • 09092010070.jpg
    09092010070.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3,137
  • 09092010071.jpg
    09092010071.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 3,040
  • 09092010074.jpg
    09092010074.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 3,110

stanggman75

Aug 23, 2010
KANSAS CITY, MO
Great mount.

I think you did a great job. I've been looking for one for a while. What if you have a silicon case? Would it still lock?

If so, you wouldn't need the foam.

krazydonutboy

Jun 21, 2009
I think you did a great job. I've been looking for one for a while. What if you have a silicon case? Would it still lock?

If so, you wouldn't need the foam.

That was one of my first thoughts. I just returned my bodyglove case, but it seems like it would work just as well, you will just need to bend the clip just a little bit less to compensate. One thing I should tell you, you may need to modify the clip in such a way that the ridges that hold the device are further *out* to compensate for the added depth of a silicon case too.

epoplive

Jul 30, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Nice! I may have to go get a new car clip to try this. It's kind of funny, because the first thing I thought about the clip was 'Boy, this sure is close to the size of the phone, if only it was just a bit smaller'.

Does the phone stay in when you rotate it?

krazydonutboy

Jun 21, 2009
Yes! I just drive for about a half hour on back roads with the phone in portrait and it didn't move one bit. Did you see my "flail test" video?

BigJayDogg3

Feb 6, 2009
If i can find a Garmin dock for an acceptable price on Amazon or in person, then ill give this a try.

Great work guy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

superdog404

Account currently disabled
Sep 2, 2010
Car Mount

If you are lazy like me have a look on Ebay. There is 1 for $7.99 shipped with battery charger.

krazydonutboy

Jun 21, 2009
If i can find a Garmin dock for an acceptable price on Amazon or in person, then ill give this a try.

So is ebay out of the question for you? There are plenty for sub-$3 on there.

I looked at Staples a couple weeks ago and they have just the ball joint and suction cup (no actual clip) for I think $14.99 - outrageous.

penguin6

Aug 8, 2007
Does this scratch the sides at all from being clipped in and out so often or did you put foam on the clips where the phone would touch as well?

Krad

Aug 8, 2008
just ordered one... think i will pop off the ball joint and drill a screw through the center and attach to my pivoting blackberry 9700 proclipusa mount in my car. That way i got the pivot and it is mounted and not on the glass.

will update with pictures... will probably still order the proclip when it is released...

BigJayDogg3

Feb 6, 2009
Surprisingly enough, it is out of the question. I've no credit card. With amazon i can use a coinstar to create gift cards. And in person i can use cash or a check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

krazydonutboy

Jun 21, 2009
Does this scratch the sides at all from being clipped in and out so often or did you put foam on the clips where the phone would touch as well?

No foam on the clips. The plastic is smooth, since it is where the gps would clip in. I don't see any trace of damage in the phone (and believe me, I would notice. Still babying this phone)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just had a tinkering revelation and ended up making something in 30 seconds that i have been looking for for weeks.

Originally inspired by the car dock epoplive made as well as khaaan on Overclockers UK forums, I cut out the intermediary step of finding a case that the phone can snap in and out of easily. I ordered a suction cup mount for a Garmin Nuvi 205 off ebay for $4:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270626403250&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2572wt_1137

When I got it this afternoon, I took a look at the clip that is meant to hold the Garmin unit and thought that it looked quite close to the dimensions of the Captivate. Holding the phone in it, it was about 1/2" - 3/4" too wide. So I simply took a lighter, slowly and gently heated up the corners of the clip, and bent them slightly inwards. Out of luck, my guesswork bending resulted in a perfect fit. I added some thin sticky-back foam strips to make the fit more secure, and that's it!

The phone snaps in with purpose and is held in place even as I flail about testing it. It looks super clean, works well, was easy to make and cost a total of $4.

(The pictures were taken with my old E71x; when I find the charger for my point-and-shoot, I can get some better quality pictures up.)
    Follow-up videos

For a little more detail and viewing angles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcB3DQ8JKM0]

and my flail test, if any of you doubt how secure this is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igZ9sPxPG2k

Enjoy! I am happy to hear any criticism, answer and questions, etc.!
    I am still playing around with it, but with the Body Glove case on, it's hard to get the plastic to bend in such a way that the top clip actually locks the Captivate into place. I've gotten it close enough that in normal driving it may not come out, but think I will keep trying to tweak it to see if I can get it to hold just a bit better. I have no doubt I could get it to work if I was willing to subject the phone to the heat of the plastic and mold it around the case, but not sure I want to chance that.

Update ... best advice I have is don't strive for perfection. In continuing to play with it, I made things worse initially and it took me quite a while to correct things. Do a small bend on the bottom (larger) part of the mount and leave the top side alone if you have a Body Glove Case.

The Garmin holder has two smaller 'clips' that actually snap into cutouts on the GPS device. I wanted those two clips to catch the front edge of the Captivate.

clips.jpg

The small bend at the bottom (along the line below) will allow the captivate to get caught by the bottom clip and will align things along the back of the phone.

bend.jpg

By just doing that one bend, the clip on the top nearly catches the front edge of the Captivate. It really did hold fairly well but the phone would release itself with a little pressure at the top. Hindsight being 20/20, I think I would have stopped there. For most general driving around I don't believe the phone would have released itself, but I had this need to try to get the top clip to catch fully on the front edge of the phone, so I kept playing.

Essentially, you are trying to follow the contour of the phone in the top side as well, but it's much more difficult because of how it's shaped. As you can see in the pics above, I kind of made a mess of the top.

I did finally get there, although it does look a bit rough. Of course when the phone is in place, you can't see it ... :)

carmount.jpg

Bottom line is it will work with the Body Glove Case on. You also won't need to add any foam strips as the case takes care of filling the gap nicely. For the record, I used the genuine Garmin car mount which came with my 250 GPS. YMMV when using the aftermarket versions on eBay, although from the pics they look the same.

Thanks to the OP for the idea. I had been using the Garmin mount and was securing the phone with a rubber band previously. This is much cleaner. I would suggest to all trying this that you order more than one of these in case your project goes awry. Also, be careful not to heat the plastic too much or it will lose shape.
    JUst finished mine... I ended up going a little tight, but it actually makes it very stable. I started off using steam from a teapot, which took a long time. Then I just used a ligher for the top part, it was way easer. Just be patient and it will eventually become like silly putty.

5h5gtl.jpg

w9fvfl.jpg
    Ok here are some pictures finally!! (excuse the car mess and the smuge/shine on the screen)

Still really digging this mount. I'm using a panavise custom dash mount with a garmin 17mm ball adapter to attach to the to the "perfect car mount"

Using my seido active x case the indentations on the case make good spots for the mount arms to grab. I heated both sides of the mount to get the arms right.

Thanks again to the original poster for the idea and to document it.

dm