I would like to see such HELP THREAD in every device forum

• YES

Votes: 1,270 94.8%
  • NO

Votes: 69 5.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread
Re: [HELP THREAD] Nexus 4. Ask any question.

Oh, thanks, I am new to the version 4 of android, and I thought all this configurations where in the general settings place. I noticed I could change the settings of a lot less things than in my previous CM 7.2 (android 2.3.7).

It says:
TTY disabled
TTY full (<--I don't have it in English, but I think it's the good translation, this one is selected)
TTY HCO
TTY VCO

I will disable it, thanks for the advice. But.. why has my phone the TTY enabled by default???

:good:

I wouldn't know why it was enabled by default. Perhaps one of the settings triggered it? I'm just guessing. Mine is off so I don't worry about it. :D

Flowed and Tapped from my Nexus

milk79

Dec 28, 2012
Custom Rom boot loop

Hi I need some troubleshooting advice. I have been running the franco kernel with the stock rom for about a month. Last night I tried flashing AOKP, it installed, I went to reboot and it bootloops stuck on the Nexus load screen. I rebooted again, tried wiping cache and dalvik before and after installs. I went back to the stock kernel from franco to see if that would help but it didn't, although it still flashes a new kernel no problem. I tried the same thing with CM10.1, and paranoid android, and they all just bootloop after the google screen. So I can flash kernels but not an actual ROM, and I'm just kind of stumped on where to go from here. I verified all the ROMs were newest proper Mako
stock JB4.2.1
TWRP 2.4

Thanks

haige

Jan 28, 2013
Ipoh
Custom wallpaper

Hi, planning to buy a Google Nexus 4 real soon but some phone reviews pointed out that u cant change d homescreen wallpaper of d phone other than those provided by the phone....so

1. Is it true that I cant use other pictures that I want as my homescreen wallpaper ?
2. If yes, how can I use my own picture ?? (Rooting ? what is currently the best/popular/stable custom ROM for Nexus 4 ?)

Thanks in advance. :angel:

nokkenas

Nov 30, 2012
Hi, planning to buy a Google Nexus 4 real soon but some phone reviews pointed out that u cant change d homescreen wallpaper of d phone other than those provided by the phone....so

1. Is it true that I cant use other pictures that I want as my homescreen wallpaper ?
2. If yes, how can I use my own picture ?? (Rooting ? what is currently the best/popular/stable custom ROM for Nexus 4 ?)

I'm not sure where you get that. Of course we can change the homescreen wallpaper of the phone. Just go to settings -> display -> wallpaper. Maybe what you mean is "app drawer" wallpaper? As far as I know CM, AOKP, and Minco is popular. I don't know for sure as I'm still on stock ROM.

Reactions: haige

DowntownJeffBrown

Oct 15, 2012
Porter Indiana (Chicagoland)

Hi I need some troubleshooting advice. I have been running the franco kernel with the stock rom for about a month. Last night I tried flashing AOKP, it installed, I went to reboot and it bootloops stuck on the Nexus load screen. I rebooted again, tried wiping cache and dalvik before and after installs. I went back to the stock kernel from franco to see if that would help but it didn't, although it still flashes a new kernel no problem. I tried the same thing with CM10.1, and paranoid android, and they all just bootloop after the google screen. So I can flash kernels but not an actual ROM, and I'm just kind of stumped on where to go from here. I verified all the ROMs were newest proper Mako
stock JB4.2.1
TWRP 2.4

Thanks

Steps to flash a ROM

- Wipe Cache 3x
- Wipe Dalvik cache 3x
- Factory reset 3x
- Wipe System 3x
- Flash ROM
- Flash gapps (If needed)
- Flash Custom Kernel (If wanted)
- Reboot

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

1. You can use whatever pics u want as your wallpaper there is no restrictions

2. You don't need to root u just need to add the pic to your gallery. Then long press your home screen choose Wallpapers choose gallery then choose your wallpaper.

* Some good stable ROMs are Cm10.1 or Paranoid Android

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Will I still be able to receive google's official updates after I install CWM on my device?

You may receive it but u need to have stock recovery to get the update to work. But don't worry we will have a flashable version of 4.2.2 within 24 hours of its release for the N4

haige

Jan 28, 2013
Ipoh
I'm not sure where you get that. Of course we can change the homescreen wallpaper of the phone. Just go to settings -> display -> wallpaper. Maybe what you mean is "app drawer" wallpaper? As far as I know CM, AOKP, and Minco is popular. I don't know for sure as I'm still on stock ROM.

1. You can use whatever pics u want as your wallpaper there is no restrictions

2. You don't need to root u just need to add the pic to your gallery. Then long press your home screen choose Wallpapers choose gallery then choose your wallpaper.

* Some good stable ROMs are Cm10.1 or Paranoid Android

Thanks guys, seems to me that I just read a bad review.... thanks again,, got the answer I wanted.:D

Nexiboyyy

Jan 12, 2013
Houston
Missing data?

So on my phone I flashed a custom rom on it and when I deleted the data I basically lost 3 gb of data. I'll post an image showing what I mean but I think the cause of this is from my google play music. I first did the basic you know delete data bla bla bla but when I had the rom flashed I had 9 gigabytes free of 13 with less than 100 mb in all the data catigories, after going through and deep searching my phone (its rooted btw) I couldn't find anything that would be causing this... I had about 3 gigabytes of music on my Nexus from Google play. I asked google about it and they said to do a factory reset which I did but now this is my storage statistics... Please any help? Google said something about contacting my warranty about it but it was void when I rooted my device. Any way I can get around either of these?

-edit-
I actually found a fix by myself while looking at all the options in cwm I just reformatted my SD card. Wont be too much of a downer for me since I backed up my apps and stuff to my computer (hope this helps anyone with the same issue)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-12-12-31-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-12-12-31-02.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

LTavaress

Feb 21, 2010
I want to know how to install a zip MOD without the use of CWM. I googled it already and didn't really get it... Does anyone have a useful link?

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
I first did the basic you know delete data bla bla bla but when I had the rom flashed I had 9 gigabytes free of 13 with less than 100 mb in all the data catigories, after going through and deep searching my phone (its rooted btw) I couldn't find anything that would be causing this... I had about 3 gigabytes of music on my Nexus from Google play. I asked google about it and they said to do a factory reset...
It sounds like you've encountered a common bug among people who reflash--your phone is the 16GB model but thinks it's the 8GB model. See this thread for fixing instructions: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2033692
The important thing is to use the STOCK recovery (don't worry, you can put your custom recovery back afterwards if you want).

Reactions: undercover

3l_P3sc4d0r

Jun 8, 2008
Zürich
1. Yes, you can run a recovery without actually flashing it using fastboot. Just run fastboot boot "c:\location\to\recovery.img". Doing this would allow you to flash the root package and retain the stock recovery. But you could always reflash the stock recovery as well.

Sorry for bothering you guys here. I'm a big noob when it comes to the more difficult things about android.

Can someone maybe give me a quick instruction how I can root my stock untouched N4 without installing a custom recovery or show me the thread(s) where I can read how it works? That would be awesome ;)

Or is it easier to just root and install CWM recovery on my N4 and when an official Google update comes out, to just install it via a .zip file through CWM?

EDIT:
I just saw this thread [[NEXUS 4 TOOLKIT V1.3.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Flash, Mods + MUCH MORE] from mskip. Is it possible to just use this program to perform my desired actions? That would be great, a program for dummies ;)

Last edited:

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Sorry for bothering you guys here. I'm a big noob when it comes to the more difficult things about android.

Can someone maybe give me a quick instruction how I can root my stock untouched N4 without installing a custom recovery or show me the thread(s) where I can read how it works? That would be awesome ;)

Or is it easier to just root and install CWM recovery on my N4 and when an official Google update comes out, to just install it via a .zip file through CWM?

EDIT:
I just saw this thread [[NEXUS 4 TOOLKIT V1.3.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Flash, Mods + MUCH MORE] from mskip. Is it possible to just use this program to perform my desired actions? That would be great, a program for dummies ;)

Another stickie right under this thread ;)

Reactions: 3l_P3sc4d0r

3l_P3sc4d0r

Jun 8, 2008
Zürich
Another stickie right under this thread ;)

Thanks for the hint, but I just installed the LG Google Nexus 4 ToolKit of mskip. It made a very good impression to me. It's quite noob-friendly :D

Can someone tell me which option I have to take when I just want to root my N4 (stock android) without changing the recovery?
Is it option 1? (I don't understand half of the words...)

Snap_2012.11.19_01h02m35s_004_.png

noobiekins

Apr 27, 2011
Thanks for the hint, but I just installed the LG Google Nexus 4 ToolKit of mskip. It made a very good impression to me. It's quite noob-friendly :D

Can someone tell me which option I have to take when I just want to root my N4 (stock android) without changing the recovery?
Is it option 1? (I don't understand half of the words...)

Any of the choices will require the recovery to be changed, just root it normally, forgetting about the recovery and then flash the stock recovery later on if you wish
edit: I'm not 100% sure about the recovery requirement, but this method will work 100%

Reactions: 3l_P3sc4d0r

rjunraj

Apr 4, 2012
surat

I am going to buy nexus 4 today.
Can someone tell me how is battery life as i got mix responce on google+ group.
My use is 1hr of subway surfer in morning,
Than on standby till i leave office at 6;pm and then 2 hrs of music playback and 1 hr of gaming and than 9to 12 chatt on nimbuzzz.

Sent from my Spice Mi-355 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

And can someone tell me how much free storage do i get on 8gb version? Does it support usb otg?

Connor Baker

May 9, 2012
Than on standby till i leave office at 6;pm and then 2 hrs of music playback and 1 hr of gaming and than 9to 12 chatt on nimbuzzz.

It mainly depends on clock speed, UV, ROM optimizations, and display brightness. That's a pretty hefty day. How bright do you think your gonna have the screen? Also, will this be on stock, or are you gonna flash into a world of wonder?

Connor Baker

DowntownJeffBrown

Oct 15, 2012
Porter Indiana (Chicagoland)

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

And can someone tell me how much free storage do i get on 8gb version? Does it support usb otg?

5.67 GB storage on the 8gb

I get 4 to 4.5 hours screen on time on every charge I'm running Rootbox ROM with Harshs kernel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are a lot of people joining xda on daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked which fill up Development threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions. Idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in the direction where that user can find an answer and educate himself

First thing first. I strongly advise you to read THIS thread before posting ANYTHING on XDA.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in post no2, you might find what you need right away.

For ROM issues please do mention in your post about:
    ROM name
    ROM version and base
    kernel version and its settings
    any mods applied on top of it
    flashing "style" aka dirty or clean
    something like this
    ...and be sure you have asked before on the ROM thread unless you have less than 10 posts on XDA

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please, do come back and read threads in post no2 (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time and frustration it will save you in the future.

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE,adb, drivers, superCID etc...... You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! No question is stupid in this thread.

***I feel that a little OT is healthy to the success of this type of thread. The people here who help the most will develop a comradery therefore OT is allowed within reason. Common sense will be applied ;)***

HALL OF FAME
    People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their problems/questions. In no particular order. These people also have the right to use the banner below :)
    eep2378
    bassmadrigal
    Stryder5
    trell959
    thephantom
    -Asskicker-
    DowntownJeffBrown ��
    azrash
    rskyline
    fenstre
    undercover
    scream4cheese
    xanthrax
    gee2012
    spaceman860
    zelendel
    Android Pizza
    Chromium_
    Jugg1es
    shengovind
    OhDae-su
    abaaaabbbb63
    Berrydroidcafe
    themike10452
    plegdroid
    jd1639

HelpThreadNexus4_128.gif

Just add this code to your sig
    HTML:
    [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1980135"][IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26257623/HelpThreadNexus4_128.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    WALL OF SHAME! :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: @jugg1es @jugg1es @jugg1es @jugg1es

This post is not just duplicate of kidCarter93 Index thread. This is to be used to point people in the right direction.
    Example:
    Q: How can i unlock my Nexus 4?
    A: Go post no2, link no5

No spoonfeeding, user pointed in the right direction, you get your kudo- everyone happy!

1. [REF] Nexus 4: Technical Specification Breakdown by l0st.prophet

2. [REF]Specs,Reviews,Videos,FAQ,Development | Things you need to know about the Nexus4 by eep2378 and Prawesome

3. [INDEX] ROMs, Kernels, Recoveries, Guides, etc by KidCarter93

4. Standalone ADB with FASTBOOT by tinky1 (extract anywhere and double click on .bat file)

5. [DRIVERS] Nexus 4 Driver for Windows by Stryder5

6. [REF][GUIDE][11/03/2012] Unlocking the Bootloader by TheDarkDefender

7. [ROOT][CONFIRMED WORKING] Root Nexus 4 Using Insecure Boot Image and ADB by HQRaja

8. Nexus 4 Stock OTA and Factory Image URLs by oldblue910

9. [HOW-TO] How to flash a factory image / return to stock / unlock / root # by efrant

10. [NEXUS 4 TOOLKIT] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Flash, Mods + MUCH MORE by mskip

11. [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit by WugFresh
    hey guys sorry for asking this but I try to get titanium back up pro from blackmart alpha. first I download the free version from blackmart alpha and then I download the pro key. but after I install it, the pro key is not working. any idea why? it also happen to app like nova launcher prime :confused:

please help me :eek:

thx

Buy it.
    Linaro is not only in the kernels, I believe it is a compiler and it's "hot" with new roms right now. There's a feature with Google Talk, if you use Talk as your voicemail, you're able to play the voicemail in the call log screen without going to Talk app. Linaro breaks it due to audio libs or something alike.

In all seriousness now, how do I install ios 6 on my nexus 4?
    /s

1. Get iPhone 5
    2. Place N4 next to it
    3. Drop a brick on iPhone
    4. Watch it's soul leave the body and transfer to N4
    5. Success rate infinity/1

No no no, I'm not a grammar Nazi. I'm a grammar Commie!
    Hello everyone, I'm pretty much new to XDA and modding in general. I own a Nexus 4 and I wanted to flash the Paranoid Android ROM.

My two cents;

1. Learn how to use adb and stay away from toolkits. They work brilliantly but opaquely and it's in your best interest to know what's happening with your phones firmware in detail.

2. Don't do anything until you learn how to make, store and restore nandroid backups. The N4 is virtually unbrickable and PA is rock solid after the 4.3 merge.

I'm a novice as well but modding is fascinating to me. Since my only phone is also a business phone I usually wait till Friday to flash new software so I have time to restore in the event of problems. Hasn't happened yet. Have fun.