Warranty claim for unlocked boot loader...DENIED

Search This thread

mervlee

Sep 13, 2006
Hey all. Just to share my experience with you guys. Have a One X Malaysian unit, purchased in April, unlocked in May. Sometime two weeks back, noticed very weak Bluetooth and WiFi signals. Reverted to stock using the latest 2.17 RUU, confirmed it was a hardware issue. Sent it back to HTC on Friday and got a call from them today.

Basically, they confirmed the problem was a hardware issue, but as my unit had it's boot loader unlocked, they said warranty was void on the motherboard.
I asked if the unlocking of the bootloader could have caused his. They said they could not ascertain if it did.
I then asked why was it stated on the HTCDev website that unlocking MAY void warranty, but no details are given on what part of the warranty is void. The rep could not answer.
I understand if I OCed and burned the cores or something, but WiFi and Bluetooth failures are a defect. So I then sent an email to HTC Taiwan explaining the situation, have yet to receive a response. Let's see what transpires.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
i really wish htc would get a huge fine for this blatant con they're trying to pull.

it's illegal in many countries. for instance in the uk, if the fault occurs within 6 months of purchasing, its upto HTC to prove that you caused the fault or they have to repair.

htc have admitted this design flaw, so how they can even consider rejecting your repair on the basis of an unlocked bootloader is RIDICULOUS (HTC I hope you're reading this - your policies are ****ing stupid and you REALLY need to reconsider them, using somebody who has a brain, preferrably)

Please please please, DO NOT give up. DO NOT go off the phone, or leave them alone until they agree to fix THEIR design fault for free.

Reactions: death__machine

Kyoraki

May 12, 2011
Sussex
Rule 1 of sending a phone back to manufacturer: Lock the bootloader up again. At the end of the day HTC are a corporation, and will do anything they can to make sure they don't have to replace faulty units. This is why the EU have so many consumer protection laws, to stop this happening.

Not sure where you can go from here though, perhaps you can take it back to the store you purchased it from, and get them to replace it?

Reactions: kryptoner

farnsbarns

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Relocking the boot leader wont help. They still know you unlocked it.

Tell them they had better have proof you damaged it or you'll commence litigation. What they are doing is illegal.

shadehh

Mar 27, 2011
@OP I had the same issue. I waited 2 months or maybe even longer in the hope that a RUU for my phone would pop up, which it hasn't. I'm not sure if it's out now but i don't need it anyway.

I was on arhd 9.2.0 and got sick of my faulty unit, so without second thought i went to my provider with an unlocked bootloader and custom rom on my phone, sent it in and had it sent back to me two weeks later completely fixed. My warranty was not voided, they were even did a factory reset.

But then again, i live in europe and our laws help us. Just like with mobile internet, every contract now has unlimited data, due to the fact that anyone who would exceed a certain limit ended up paying a hefty some. Glad we have this internet issue out the way too :)

Good luck to you hope it goes well

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
i really wish htc would get a huge fine for this blatant con they're trying to pull.

it's illegal in many countries. for instance in the uk, if the fault occurs within 6 months of purchasing, its upto HTC to prove that you caused the fault or they have to repair.

I really wish people would stop repeating this nonsense. The responsibility lies with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

Vcek

Aug 27, 2011
Simril
Scare the rep using strong legal words, and say you asked some of your lawyer friends and stuff like that so you can speak to a higher person, remember to speak professional and don't use unpleasant/raging behavior and the rep will hopefully consider your situation and try to help.

I once bought a laptop at a large retailer and dropped the laptop and broke the screen the first day, and managed to get it replaced by speaking the to manager of the customer service although it was against the warranty, they're human after all and business is not always just business :D

death__machine

May 6, 2012
Dubai
Scan the WiFI HARDWARE FAULT thread for useful posts. Try going through an alternative service center. I got mine rejected by one service center and I got it fixed from another service center.

shadehh

Mar 27, 2011
I really wish people would stop repeating this nonsense. The responsibility lies with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

Only nonsense i see is the one you are spewing. Have you ever installed windows 7 over vista,xp, or something alike?

Imagine how ridiculous it would be if you install windows 7 and your desktop is under-warranty and they will tell you you're not allowed to have your phone repaired because you installed a newer OS. Damn right - ridiculous.

mrpooooon

Mar 14, 2012
I've sent in my HOX once before due to earjack problems (something stuck inside?).
I sent it in directly, unlocked, custom ROM, faux' kernal.
They fixed it for me and even replaced my battery for free!
They then returned my phone, stock, locked(not relocked).
And the IMEI number changed as well, basically a new phone.
Hmmm

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
Only nonsense i see is the one you are spewing. Have you ever installed windows 7 over vista,xp, or something alike?

Imagine how ridiculous it would be if you install windows 7 and your desktop is under-warranty and they will tell you you're not allowed to have your phone repaired because you installed a newer OS. Damn right - ridiculous.

You completely missed my point.

In the UK your statutory rights are with the retailer NOT the manufacturer.

Von Ropen

Apr 19, 2009
Murcia
Hey all. Just to share my experience with you guys. Have a One X Malaysian unit, purchased in April, unlocked in May. Sometime two weeks back, noticed very weak Bluetooth and WiFi signals. Reverted to stock using the latest 2.17 RUU, confirmed it was a hardware issue. Sent it back to HTC on Friday and got a call from them today.

Basically, they confirmed the problem was a hardware issue, but as my unit had it's boot loader unlocked, they said warranty was void on the motherboard.
I asked if the unlocking of the bootloader could have caused his. They said they could not ascertain if it did.
I then asked why was it stated on the HTCDev website that unlocking MAY void warranty, but no details are given on what part of the warranty is void. The rep could not answer.
I understand if I OCed and burned the cores or something, but WiFi and Bluetooth failures are a defect. So I then sent an email to HTC Taiwan explaining the situation, have yet to receive a response. Let's see what transpires.

Mods should inform You that there are a specific thread to deal about bad wifi signal. Do not create a new thread to inform us something that we already know.

Thanks

mervlee

Sep 13, 2006
I know about the bad WiFi signal. I'm just sharing my experience with regards to HTC customer service. It's an authorized unit sold by an HTC appointed distributor, relocked and reset using the latest RUU. However, the status on the boot loader will show RELOCKED instead of LOCKED.

Reactions: louis.b

Von Ropen

Apr 19, 2009
Murcia
I know about the bad WiFi signal. I'm just sharing my experience with regards to HTC customer service. It's an authorized unit sold by an HTC appointed distributor, relocked and reset using the latest RUU. However, the status on the boot loader will show RELOCKED instead of LOCKED.

Well, it seems another thread blaming Htc brand.

mervlee

Sep 13, 2006
Look. I love the HTC brand, been a fervent supporter for the past 2 years. I'll give credit where credit is due. So please refrain from being presumptuous of the purpose of my article. Again, I'm waiting to hear back from HTC to see what their stand is. If they change their minds, at least other HTC owners who are in the same predicament as myself may have a chance of getting some fair treatment.

Reactions: louis.b

ionut.micu

Nov 24, 2009
Bucharest
I have a similar problem, i have yellow spots on the screen, and the service center denied the repair becose of the relocoed bootloader.
What we need to do is to find a way to make the bootloader say locked instead of relocked and everything will be ok.
I used to own a Galaxy S 2, that phone had a counter for custom roms, if you wanted to claim warranty all you needed to do was to reset the binary counter using the usb jig or a apk called triangle away.

Von Ropen

Apr 19, 2009
Murcia
Look. I love the HTC brand, been a fervent supporter for the past 2 years. I'll give credit where credit is due. So please refrain from being presumptuous of the purpose of my article. Again, I'm waiting to hear back from HTC to see what their stand is. If they change their minds, at least other HTC owners who are in the same predicament as myself may have a chance of getting some fair treatment.

Mate, you give your point of view about your problem, and I am giving my point of view about your post that in fact is what I said. So ifI you asking for respect for your point of view respect my point of view. As you say you are waiting for a reply so I do not understand why you post if you have not got an answer yet. I would see logical your post If you got a reply but you got not yet.

androidino95

Dec 21, 2010
soundcloud.com
My One X suffered from bad screen fitment out of the box (creaking, screen moving up and down inside the casing...) and I unlocked/rommed it before I noticed the flaws.
I relocked the bootloader, installed the 2.17 RUU, and sent the phone back to Germany (as it was bought in Ger and I live in Croatia) to get it repaired, they accepted it and repaired, it's on its way home now, should be here tomorrow, took 3 weeks to repair.

One big plus for HTC Germany (when it gets here and is fixed, that is).

Von Ropen

Apr 19, 2009
Murcia
My One X suffered from bad screen fitment out of the box (creaking, screen moving up and down inside the casing...) and I unlocked/rommed it before I noticed the flaws.
I relocked the bootloader, installed the 2.17 RUU, and sent the phone back to Germany (as it was bought in Ger and I live in Croatia) to get it repaired, they accepted it and repaired, it's on its way home now, should be here tomorrow, took 3 weeks to repair.

One big plus for HTC Germany (when it gets here and is fixed, that is).

I had a similar story, my HOX suffered bad wifi signal, and then unroted, relocked, sent to HTC and get it bak repaired for free. But it was on Spain HTC.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You completely missed my point.

In the UK your statutory rights are with the retailer NOT the manufacturer.

htc have admitted this design flaw, so how they can even consider rejecting your repair on the basis of an unlocked bootloader is RIDICULOUS (HTC I hope you're reading this - your policies are ****ing stupid and you REALLY need to reconsider them, using somebody who has a brain, preferrably)

Please please please, DO NOT give up. DO NOT go off the phone, or leave them alone until they agree to fix THEIR design fault for free.
    Rule 1 of sending a phone back to manufacturer: Lock the bootloader up again. At the end of the day HTC are a corporation, and will do anything they can to make sure they don't have to replace faulty units. This is why the EU have so many consumer protection laws, to stop this happening.

Not sure where you can go from here though, perhaps you can take it back to the store you purchased it from, and get them to replace it?