Hard reset after flashing- myth or truth

Search This thread

nearlygod

Apr 28, 2008
Hi,
just because i don´t understand why i should hardreset after a flash, i wanted to open a thread on this. Some people say you have to do it 2-3 times.
Because it doesn´t sound any logical to me i wanted to ask around, if anyone really has experienced a difference.
Maybe somebody adanced could even explain, if or if not this could do any difference.

If it finally does: When do you do it? Before Windows says it is going to do some adjustments and wants to softreset or after?

Thx in advance to help me clarifing this,

nearlygod

onkolog

Nov 18, 2006
Cleveland
Hi,
just because i don´t understand why i should hardreset after a flash, i wanted to open a thread on this. Some people say you have to do it 2-3 times.
Because it doesn´t sound any logical to me i wanted to ask around, if anyone really has experienced a difference.
Maybe somebody adanced could even explain, if or if not this could do any difference.

If it finally does: When do you do it? Before Windows says it is going to do some adjustments and wants to softreset or after?

Thx in advance to help me clarifing this,

nearlygod

Yes,it is not logical...I agree with you...It's really stupid...I never had Hard Reset after flashing and I never had problems with ROMs...

pLUSpISTOL

Jan 29, 2009
I disagree, only once have I NOT hard reset after flashing and the speed was slower, I ended up reflashing and hard resetting made it faster again!

nearlygod

Apr 28, 2008
Ok, nice, we need a lot more people with a lot more experience in having hardresetted or not the same rom and tested it a lot.

Question: Isn´t flashing a rom the same as a hardreset? Purging all existing data and writing an image file?
I never had to "hardrest" my pc after writing an imagefile back on to it.

nearly

mallman

Aug 17, 2008
I disagree, only once have I NOT hard reset after flashing and the speed was slower, I ended up reflashing and hard resetting made it faster again!

i second this. And it has happened more than once to me. You may not have a problem but har resetting assure you do not. Nothing worse than flashing and setting all those settings and realizing it is running slow...... then you start over.

sammypwns

Nov 12, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
you have to hard reset to clear out all of the stuff in storage. you only need to do it once though and you do it whenever. you have to do it because in order to save power your phone does not zero out something you delete and the remaining bytes could affect the performance. it's just like why you always format your hard drive completely before you install or reinstall an operating system. you can the effects everywhere, too, if you look closely like how your phone might have saved the username and password to a website that was there from a previous flash. there are some things that might be afffecting your phone that you dont see like a 1 instead of a 0 in a registry setting that isnt even supposed to be in the rom. no a flash is not like a hard reset as a flash doesn't wipe out everything, it just overwrites it

onkolog

Nov 18, 2006
Cleveland
you have to hard reset to clear out all of the stuff in storage. you only need to do it once though and you do it whenever. you have to do it because in order to save power your phone does not zero out something you delete and the remaining bytes could affect the performance. it's just like why you always format your hard drive completely before you install or reinstall an operating system. you can the effects everywhere, too, if you look closely like how your phone might have saved the username and password to a website that was there from a previous flash. there are some things that might be afffecting your phone that you dont see like a 1 instead of a 0 in a registry setting that isnt even supposed to be in the rom. no a flash is not like a hard reset as a flash doesn't wipe out everything, it just overwrites it

But flashing like a Hard Reset)))it erase all your stuff and write new information)))
it's just like why you always format your hard drive completely before you install or reinstall an operating system.

Don't use Windows PC)))and you don't need every month reinstall your operation system)))also you don't need to format your hard drive)))
like how your phone might have saved the username and password to a website that was there from a previous flash
Like a fantastic))but if you safe your cookies on your SD card it could be)))

Guys you should do Hard Reset many times before flashing too)))

Last edited:

stepw

Feb 11, 2007
Every time a ROM is flashed, storage partition is wiped/replaced/reallocated. In essence it's an equivalent of a hard reset, so there's really no point in doing a hard reset unless your ROM image was so buggy that it didn't allocate storage partition properly. If that's the case, hard reset may be helpful, but I wouldn't go with that ROM obviously.

When you flash a stock ROM, you are never required to hard reset thereafter, why it should be different for a customized ROM?

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
...no a flash is not like a hard reset as a flash doesn't wipe out everything, it just overwrites it

Well that claim right there is huge. Does anyone truly definitevely know whether a flash:
A) Completely whipes everything out, then writes new information, or
B) Simply overwrites data that it has too, and if there is a file already present on the device but not in the new ROM, it just leaves it alone
?

Jim.

bram_smulders

Apr 10, 2007
on the edge
I've flashed dutty's rom wich he claimes todo 2 hardresets after flash.
I dind't do any hard resel and all is running fine, better than before.
I've never run a hard reset after flash, and the only problems i've had were the same the ones had with hard reset...

So my opinion:"it's not neccisairy(or whatever you spell it)"

DaveShaw

Senior Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2007
Huddersfield
www.taeguk.co.uk
Every time a ROM is flashed, storage partition is wiped/replaced/reallocated. In essence it's an equivalent of a hard reset, so there's really no point in doing a hard reset unless your ROM image was so buggy that it didn't allocate storage partition properly. If that's the case, hard reset may be helpful, but I wouldn't go with that ROM obviously.

When you flash a stock ROM, you are never required to hard reset thereafter, why it should be different for a customized ROM?

Doesn't the stock RUU do a Hard Reset after flashing with a task 28?
Also, the stock ROM's are less likly to be messed up unlike the cooked ones, where we are always trying to squeeze a little more out of them (sometimes with unknown adverse effects).

mercshle used to advise, Flash, HR and re-flash, but I can't recall any reason why (his threads went when he did).

@OP, realy you should have searched before starting this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=439164
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=410485
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=000825...shing&sa=Search&cof=FORID:0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
etc... :p

Dave

Elim

Feb 17, 2008
Antwerpen
Yes,it is same process
I am no expert in flashing but it is NOT the same process. The hardware is quite different and self the flash- and hardreset-process on our GSM are NOT the same. The flash-process overwrites the memory and the hard-reset rewrite the memory.

Maybe it is a myth but therefore we need a hardware expert, who can explain what really happends when we flash but the documentation explains the difference between flashing a stock ROM and a non-stock ROM and that also by a stock ROM a hardresat is made (automaticly).

So, it is normal, that some have no problems without a hardreset and others have. It depends what you have installed and changed in the ROM before. This can affect the "new" ROM or not.

Last edited:

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
I am no expert in flashing but it is NOT the same process. The hardware is quite different and self the flash- and hardreset-process on our GSM are NOT the same. The flash-process overwrites the memory and the hard-reset rewrite the memory.

Maybe it is a myth but therefore we need a hardware expert, who can explain what really happends when we flash but the documentation explains the difference between flashing a stock ROM and a non-stock ROM and that also by a stock ROM a hardresat is made (automaticly).

So, it is normal, that some have no problems without a hardreset and others have. It depends what you have installed and changed in the ROM before. This can affect the "new" ROM or not.

Totally agree with Elim above. I'm no expert myself but I have flashed countless roms. I've found that some roms after flashing can appear sluggish and after a hard reset the performance improves dramatically.

Duttys latest roms he has requested 2 hard resets and i've noticed that startup after flashing sometimes isn't complete without a second hard reset. Tested this on different phones and its not repeated on all which is strange behaviour.

Other roms don't require 2 hard resets, but still improve after one hard rest. So maybe its something hardwired into the roms themselves:confused:

Last edited:

onkolog

Nov 18, 2006
Cleveland
Duttys latest roms he has requested 2 hard resets and i've noticed that startup after flashing sometimes isn't complete without a second hard reset. Tested this on different phones and its not repeated on all which is strange behaviour.

Other roms like Davideuk, Energy rom & Laurentius26 don't require this so maybe its something hardwired into the roms themselves:confused:

HAHA:D:D:D It's so funny)))
After each Hard Reset you'll have different color of the screen)))):D:D
It's stupid...It means he cannot built a ROM correctly)))
Why I don't have this problem in my ROM...we both use same OEM (Rhodium and Topaz)

SamsungGalaxySamsung

Dec 28, 2008
Ok Guys,

it's like this. Some rom images are really buggy cooked.

A hard reset is also necessairy because all the data of the previous rom hasd to be deleted. That's why by the hard reset it goed in bootloader so that no prog can be running so that it can be overwritten good.

Sometimes with the Touch Pro roms, the camera driver can't be overwritten that results in a not working camera.

Hard reset will do the magic.

So always hard reset, it takes a minute of two and it saves problems.

Thread closed :D