[Q] How to update to 4.4.3 with root

Search This thread
Nov 28, 2013
Hey all,
So I received a notification for a system update to 4.4.3, and I had survival mode in SuperSU checked, so I went ahead and followed the procedure. Turns off, then reboots into TWRP. From there I reboot again using the TWRP option, and it boots into android just fine. Notification is gone, still with root. But then I go to settings >> about to find that I'm still running on 4.4.2. Manually check for update, says there isn't one available. Give it a day or so and the notification comes up again. Repeat, and same thing. I'm stuck with the notification again.

So, how do I get rid of the notification, or more preferably, how to I update to 4.4.3 keeping the root? Thanks.

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
Hey all,
So I received a notification for a system update to 4.4.3, and I had survival mode in SuperSU checked, so I went ahead and followed the procedure. Turns off, then reboots into TWRP. From there I reboot again using the TWRP option, and it boots into android just fine. Notification is gone, still with root. But then I go to settings >> about to find that I'm still running on 4.4.2. Manually check for update, says there isn't one available. Give it a day or so and the notification comes up again. Repeat, and same thing. I'm stuck with the notification again.

So, how do I get rid of the notification, or more preferably, how to I update to 4.4.3 keeping the root? Thanks.

You can't update the "normal way" like that with a custom recovery. When you try to do that, it tries to boot into the stock recovery to update, but since you have a custom recovery, it will fail everytime if you do it that way. What you have to do is flash the OTA zip using TWRP. You can find the OTA zip in /cache on your device. Or you can just download the update zip from these forums.

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
Hey all,

Since 4.4.4 is out, just download the full firmware package from Google and flash system, boot. Only those two.

If you don't know how to do that, the Nexus 5 forums has some great stickies that are mostly relevant to this device.

Nov 28, 2013
You can't update the "normal way" like that with a custom recovery. When you try to do that, it tries to boot into the stock recovery to update, but since you have a custom recovery, it will fail everytime if you do it that way. What you have to do is flash the OTA zip using TWRP. You can find the OTA zip in /cache on your device. Or you can just download the update zip from these forums.

Right, thanks for the information. So I repeated and booted into TWRP again. Tapped 'Install', navigated to /cache, saw a couple of folders named 'back up', 'lost+found', and then a file name of a large string of letters followed by the recognisable "razor KTU70 from KOT49H", so I went ahead and flashed the latter, checking 'verify signature'. Runs through a few commands and in a few seconds comes back as failed, so I reboot into the OS.
Any ideas?

Since 4.4.4 is out, just download the full firmware package from Google and flash system, boot. Only those two.

If you don't know how to do that, the Nexus 5 forums has some great stickies that are mostly relevant to this device.

I think I have an idea, but I'll check just to be sure. Thanks for the direction.

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
Exactly the same for me. Installing the ota sent me to my TWRP recovery. Reboot - > still in 4.4.2.
Reading this thread, I went to TWRP recovery, installed the update from cache and like you, it failed.

Any suggestions? Did your idea work?

Where do I find the 4.4.4 mentioned here and how do I flash it in TWRP? Is install the same as flash in TWRP?

Thanks.

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
Exactly the same for me. Installing the ota sent me to my TWRP recovery. Reboot - > still in 4.4.2.
Reading this thread, I went to TWRP recovery, installed the update from cache and like you, it failed.

Any suggestions? Did your idea work?

Where do I find the 4.4.4 mentioned here and how do I flash it in TWRP? Is install the same as flash in TWRP?

Thanks.
If it fails look to see what the specific error is. It would help to know that. If you pulled it from your cache then I assume it was downloaded by itself and should be the correct OTA. I do NOT have the "Zip file signature verification." box checked or "Enable MD5 verification of backup files." but I am extremely careful to flash/install the correct files. The OTA installed fine for me two days ago using TWRP 2.7.1.0. The 4.4.4 mentioned earlier is the factory image. You will need adb and fastboot installed on your computer to flash the factory image or any image that is pulled from inside the factory image. Wug's toolkit will work also, I think, but I've never used any toolkits. Eventually there will be a stock 4.4.4 rom that you can flash/install in TWRP but I'm not aware of one right now.

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
You can take the normal updates with root and TWRP (I did), but a custom kernel will prevent them from installing.

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
I retried to install the downloaded ota file from cache, but this time I checked zip file verification and got the error message that zip verification failed.

File name was
df43279bcf6bb6a0ae403249c3e6f314d0a7eb77.signed-razor-KTU84L-from-KOT49H.df43279b.zip

So it seems the downloaded ota file may be corrupted. How do I get my Nexus 7 2013 to re-download a new one?

(The ota download for my Nexus 5 installed with no problems - but I think it didn't go through TWRP even though TWRP is installed there too).

Thanks

---------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 AM ----------

Further
I renamed the ota file and in settings checked for system update and got a response that my system is upto date. But it is still 4.4.2.

Need to re-download the ota. How?

Last edited:

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
Changed the system date to 2 weeks earlier and succeeded in re-downloading the ota file.

So I retried installing it and it again took me to my TWRP recovery screen. I again installed the ota from cache and again the zip verification failed : 1
And the update failed again.
Still on 4.4.2
Did not change any system files as far as I know.

Need help.

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
Why don't you guys download the stock firmware from Google (link in my signature), and use fastboot to flash system.img, boot.img (DO NOT run the batch file)? If it's a lack of knowledge, all you need do is ask, and I or someone else would be happy to teach you how to use it (fastboot). If you're going to be modifying your Nexus device, you need to learn fastboot. You guys have got to learn the proper way to do things.

You've put forth so much effort to fix a system that is not meant for modified (rooted, customized) phones. You can't fix it, stop trying. Just do it the proper way. And do not use a toolkit. They don't teach you anything, they spoon-feed.

Last edited:

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
Why don't you guys download the stock firmware from Google (link in my signature), and use fastboot to flash system.img, boot.img (DO NOT run the batch file)? If it's a lack of knowledge, all you need do is ask, and I or someone else would be happy to teach you how to use it (fastboot). If you're going to be modifying your Nexus device, you need to learn fastboot. You guys have got to learn the proper way to do things.

You've put forth so much effort to fix a system that is not meant for modified (rooted, customized) phones. You can't fix it, stop trying. Just do it the proper way. And do not use a toolkit. They don't teach you anything, they spoon-feed.

I don't use a toolkit and would be happy to flash the system.Img and boot.img but need instructions on how to do it. You said the stock firmware link is in your signature but it isn't.

I would like to skip 4.4.3 and go directly from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4. I'm talking about a nexus 7 2013 wifi.

So I need the following information to proceed .

1. The Link to download system.img and boot.img for the nexus 7 2013 wifi. Which files exactly?

2. I have fastboot and adb installed on my windows 7 laptop because I used them (once) to root but I don't remember how I used them that one time. How exactly do I use fastboot to flash 4.4.4 ?

3. I presume I will lose root. How do I regain it after the above.

Thank you.

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
I don't use a toolkit and would be happy to flash the system.Img and boot.img but need instructions on how to do it. You said the stock firmware link is in your signature but it isn't.

I would like to skip 4.4.3 and go directly from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4. I'm talking about a nexus 7 2013 wifi.

1. The Link to download system.img and boot.img for the nexus 7 2013 wifi. Which files exactly?

2. I have fastboot and adb installed on my windows 7 laptop because I used them (once) to root but I don't remember how I used them that one time. How exactly do I use fastboot to flash 4.4.4 ?

Thank you.

1. The Google firmware link in my signature is the one you want. You say you have the 2013 wifi model, aka flo, aka razor. "Factory Images "razor" for Nexus 7 [2013] (Wi-Fi)" is the proper section for you. You want 4.4.4 (KTU84P), and that's at the bottom of the razor section. Click the link to download.

2. Download the most up to date ADB/Fastboot from the link in my signature (19.0.2 (API 19)). Don't extract it yet.

3. You will lose root. Download SuperSU from my signature. 2.00 is the current version. After you download that, you can put it on your device so you can flash it in recovery in a few minutes.

The firmware you downloaded is razor-ktu84p-factory-b1b2c0da.tgz. This is a compressed archive, and you will need to extract it. If you don't know how, 7-Zip should work.

So, you've extracted the files. Delete flash-all.bat, flash-all.sh, flash-base.sh (so you don't accidentally run them).

Now, all you have left is bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img and image-razor-ktu84p.zip.

Extract image-razor-ktu84p.zip to the current directory, so you will now have bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img, boot.img, cache.img, recovery.img, system.img, userdata.img, android-info.txt, image-razor-ktu84p.zip in your folder.

Delete userdata.img, flashing this on accident will wipe your data. Delete image-razor-ktu84p.zip, android-info.txt, cache.img, recovery.img (this is stock recovery, you want TWRP).

Now you have boot.img, bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img, system.img.

Remember the ADB & Fastboot zip you downloaded from my signature? Extract it to the directory with bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img, boot.img, system.img. All 4 files. This directory now contains 7 files.

Back out of the razor-ktu84p folder. Just one step back. Now, hold shift the right-click the razor-ktu84p folder. Select Open command window here.

Reboot your device to bootloader mode. Do so by shutting it down. Then while the power is off, hold volume down and press the power button. Release these buttons when you see the big green Android.

In your command window, type the command: fastboot devices

Your device with it's serial number should show up on the list. If it does not there is a problem and you need to stop here.

If the device shows up, let's update it.

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img
<wait for it to finish>
fastboot reboot-bootloader
<wait for it to reboot>
fastboot flash system system.img
<wait for it to finish>
fastboot flash boot boot.img
<wait for it to finish>
fasboot reboot-bootloader

Done with fastboot.

At this point, enter recovery (TWRP) and wipe cache and Dalvik under advanced wipe.

Remember the SuperSU you downloaded earlier and put on your device for later? Flash that now.

Reboot, all done. Most of this is just juggling files around. If you have any questions ask.

Last edited:

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
You are wonderful aerowinder. This is just what I needed to go ahead. Thank you so much.

About your signature, it doesn't show the links when viewed in my Tapatalk version, but I went to the Web view and got it from there. (just FYI if others ask about your links).

droider137

Jul 11, 2012
is it possible to just flash the system img in fastboot? It's still the same bootloader, not updated? Could I just flash the whole zip by sideloading in adb and TWRP? Just a lottle confused. Thanks!

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
is it possible to just flash the system img in fastboot? It's still the same bootloader, not updated? Could I just flash the whole zip by sideloading in adb and TWRP? Just a lottle confused. Thanks!

If you were already on 4.4.3, all you need to do is fastboot flash system.img, that is correct.

No, you can't flash that firmware zip in recovery.

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
Hi Aerowinder
Thanks again for the excellent instructions. Everything went like clockwork until it didn't ?......

I got to the point where I issued the command fastboot devices which did show the tablet serial number. But my next command to flash the bootloader img gave me the error:
Cannot open 'bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img
(I had copy pasted the command from your instructions).

The subdirectory below the command window contains that file (one of 7 files)

Sorry. What should I do?

In case you need the info, the device screen showed

Fastboot mode
Product name - flo
Variant - flo 32G
Hw version - rev_e
Bootloader version - flo-04.02
Carrier info = none
Serial number - xxxx
Signing - yes
Secure boot enabled
Lock state - unlocked

Thanks again.

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
Aerowinder, you are not only an expert but an excellent teacher. Your instructions above should be a sticky.

I'm all done. Everything is fine.

The problem I had above was a file path problem. Not sure why you told me to open the command window in the parent folder. When I opened it in the folder containing the seven files all your commands worked fine. (Except for your last one where you had a spelling mistake: fasboot instead of fastboot).

Thank you very much.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thank you.

1. The Google firmware link in my signature is the one you want. You say you have the 2013 wifi model, aka flo, aka razor. "Factory Images "razor" for Nexus 7 [2013] (Wi-Fi)" is the proper section for you. You want 4.4.4 (KTU84P), and that's at the bottom of the razor section. Click the link to download.

2. Download the most up to date ADB/Fastboot from the link in my signature (19.0.2 (API 19)). Don't extract it yet.

3. You will lose root. Download SuperSU from my signature. 2.00 is the current version. After you download that, you can put it on your device so you can flash it in recovery in a few minutes.

The firmware you downloaded is razor-ktu84p-factory-b1b2c0da.tgz. This is a compressed archive, and you will need to extract it. If you don't know how, 7-Zip should work.

So, you've extracted the files. Delete flash-all.bat, flash-all.sh, flash-base.sh (so you don't accidentally run them).

Now, all you have left is bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img and image-razor-ktu84p.zip.

Extract image-razor-ktu84p.zip to the current directory, so you will now have bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img, boot.img, cache.img, recovery.img, system.img, userdata.img, android-info.txt, image-razor-ktu84p.zip in your folder.

Delete userdata.img, flashing this on accident will wipe your data. Delete image-razor-ktu84p.zip, android-info.txt, cache.img, recovery.img (this is stock recovery, you want TWRP).

Now you have boot.img, bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img, system.img.

Remember the ADB & Fastboot zip you downloaded from my signature? Extract it to the directory with bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img, boot.img, system.img. All 4 files. This directory now contains 7 files.

Back out of the razor-ktu84p folder. Just one step back. Now, hold shift the right-click the razor-ktu84p folder. Select Open command window here.

Reboot your device to bootloader mode. Do so by shutting it down. Then while the power is off, hold volume down and press the power button. Release these buttons when you see the big green Android.

In your command window, type the command: fastboot devices

Your device with it's serial number should show up on the list. If it does not there is a problem and you need to stop here.

If the device shows up, let's update it.

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img
    <wait for it to finish>
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    <wait for it to reboot>
    fastboot flash system system.img
    <wait for it to finish>
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    <wait for it to finish>
    fasboot reboot-bootloader

Done with fastboot.

At this point, enter recovery (TWRP) and wipe cache and Dalvik under advanced wipe.

Remember the SuperSU you downloaded earlier and put on your device for later? Flash that now.

Reboot, all done. Most of this is just juggling files around. If you have any questions ask.