[APP] ShutUpBatterySaver -- APN/Autosync ctrl based on SignalStrength & Time

Search This thread

wjax

Sep 20, 2007
Sevilla
Well guys,

It's been a long time since I realized my Nexus ONE was draining a lot of battery.
After some testing I figured out one of the most probable causes for that, Autosync.

So I started creating a proof of concept app in order to run autosync at a specified custom time.

On the other hand, I read some users in this forum talk about the possibility to monitor Signal Strength and disable APN if under a given threshold... so I did it (and added Autosync control on low signal too).
It is very useful when you work all day in low signal areas (as me).

Remember.. this is just a proof of concept... may fail a lot or never! :)
Search for it in the market!

Enjoy

IMPORTANT: Dont kill the app! Exclude it from memory savers (automatic tasks killer). And dont worry about memory or CPU use, it is negligible.

Update 23/08/2010
New Version 0.2. Hope you like it
You have to unistall the previous one (if not it won't install) because I lost my previous certificate :(. Sorry!!!
Go to:
https://sites.google.com/site/shutupbatterysaver/

Attachments

• device3.jpg
    device3.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 350
  • device2.jpg
    device2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:

Markdental

Jan 19, 2010
Florida
What a great idea!

But does this app use a lot of battery monitoring the signal strength and adjusting for this?

Jon.StatiK

Feb 9, 2010
First testing i was able to change settings but it seems to fc on me. Using htc hero cdma on darchdroid.

wjax

Sep 20, 2007
Sevilla
What a great idea!

But does this app use a lot of battery monitoring the signal strength and adjusting for this?
Dont worry for CPU(battery) drain.
When using Scheduled Autosync it just uses a few miliseconds of CPU for each Loop.

And for the Signal Strength monitoring, it checks it every 10 minutes and only uses (again) a few miliseconds.

If you have Spare Parts, you can check it yourself!

THATTON

Aug 27, 2007
Bakersfield
Wow! I instantly noticed a difference in drain even when monitoring it with adb. I'm impressed. What are you guys settings looking like? I am not sure how I should set it up. If I set the sync on for every 25 minutes, does that mean my phone will ONLY auto sync every 25 minutes? This app is long overdue! Thanks!

myplague

Jan 29, 2008
on my nexus if I leave the app and click on it again on the drawer, the app resets everything (settings, logs)

Markdental

Jan 19, 2010
Florida
Wow! I instantly noticed a difference in drain even when monitoring it with adb. I'm impressed. What are you guys settings looking like? I am not sure how I should set it up. If I set the sync on for every 25 minutes, does that mean my phone will ONLY auto sync every 25 minutes? This app is long overdue! Thanks!

Yeah, would love to hear some other users' settings that are working for them.

Like maybe the cutoff for the signal strength level.

also, am I suppose to leave sync off?

Last edited:

spyinzedark

Jul 19, 2010
congratulations for your job. anyway i have an issue with my nexus one. the app semms to work for about 5sec then all the settings are reseting and apn and sync are switching on even if my signal is below my previous settings. do you have any idea?
thank you.
spyinzedark.

THATTON

Aug 27, 2007
Bakersfield
Yeah, would love to hear some other users' settings that are working for them.

Like maybe the cutoff for the signal strength level.

also, am I suppose to leave sync off?

I would also like to know if I should be leaving androids built in auto sync off or leave it on? So far, I have been getting great battery with this set to
Sync options:
30min off
2 min on

Signal options:
-104dBm
-104dBm

I can't wait to see where this is going!

wjax

Sep 20, 2007
Sevilla

Why are you reseting the app?
I mean, the app is meant to be always alive.

You should never kill it and exclude it from any memory saver task killer that you have. Otherwise it cannot work!!

Dont worry about leaving it alive as it only uses a very very small time of CPU.

Sooo... Dont Kill it!!

Just let me know your results :)