Anything new related to the purple camera issue?

Search This thread

sshede

Dec 30, 2011
I got my fourth HTC One today from the Sprint store, and I still have the same camera issue. After trying to deal with the dumbass customer non-support agent for an hour, I have a fifth HTC One on it's way for another exchange.

Is there any way to fix the issue short of sending it to HTC? I really can't go without a phone for that long. Thanks.

Kraizk

Jul 30, 2011
American Canyon
I got my fourth HTC One today from the Sprint store, and I still have the same camera issue. After trying to deal with the dumbass customer non-support agent for an hour, I have a fifth HTC One on it's way for another exchange.

Is there any way to fix the issue short of sending it to HTC? I really can't go without a phone for that long. Thanks.

As this has pretty much been confirmed as a hardware issue, no. Sending the phone to HTC seems to be the only solution

onefasttreopro

May 8, 2009

Only solution is to send to HTC....the turn around is roughly a week or so from day of shipping to htc and getting it back in your hands...you won't get a sprint replacement with replaced camera module...sorry to second the bad news but it's one of those tough deals but in the end worth it...for more discussion check out the HTC one section topic "purple camera possible fix etc etc"...hope that helps

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app

sshede

Dec 30, 2011
I'm heading to Sprint tomorrow and dropping those ****ers. I don't appreciate how the situation was handled (with attitude) so I'll be taking advantage of T-Mobile's ETF-buyout option.

Thanks for the information.

Robert542

Aug 14, 2011
Pennsylvania
I never had the purple camera issue until recently. I don't know if it's just a coincidence but it started right after upgrading to 4.4.2

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

weidnerj

May 24, 2010
I never had the purple camera issue until recently. I don't know if it's just a coincidence but it started right after upgrading to 4.4.2

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

How do you get the camera fixed? Take it that it is HTC that is fixing the issue and not Sprint. There a webpage, E-mail address or phone number to call?

TIA

onefasttreopro

May 8, 2009
How do you get the camera fixed? Take it that it is HTC that is fixing the issue and not Sprint. There a webpage, E-mail address or phone number to call?

TIA

1-866-449-8358 if you're in the US...hope that gets you pointed in right direction. So far excellent experience with HTC tech support.

the_mig

Apr 24, 2009
Minneapolis
Is it only in low light situations that you are experiencing the purple haze? If so, the 4.4.2 update "Night" option in the Photo Capture Mode eliminates the purple haze for me. I can't remember if this option existed in prior versions, but choosing this option in low light conditions eliminated the purple haze on mine.

Last edited:

akuentzler

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I sent my phone into HTC to repair the camera issue and they claimed it is outside of manufacture warranty because the bootloader was unlocked. I thought I had put everything back to normal before I sent it back in but I guess I missed something.

Is it true that this voids the warranty? If so, is it possible to re-lock it to where they cannot detect that it was ever unlocked? Is my warranty permanently voided now that they have my serial number? Do I have any chance of getting this fixed now?

ScrapMaker

Jan 23, 2008
Technically our serial numbers are logged if we've ever used the HTCDev unlock method. That's pretty much all of us.

luigi311

Feb 18, 2011
I sent my phone into HTC to repair the camera issue and they claimed it is outside of manufacture warranty because the bootloader was unlocked. I thought I had put everything back to normal before I sent it back in but I guess I missed something.

Is it true that this voids the warranty? If so, is it possible to re-lock it to where they cannot detect that it was ever unlocked? Is my warranty permanently voided now that they have my serial number? Do I have any chance of getting this fixed now?

It might of been because your boot loader doesn't say locked. If your s-off it is possible to make it locked. When I sent mine in I locked it and s-on and updated it. I got mine back without an issue and they fixed the camera.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Reactions: akuentzler

nauticus25

Jul 27, 2007
I just wrapped up a horrible experience sending the phone to HTC. I shipped it off on Thursday, January 30th and just got it back on Tuesday, February 25th. That's almost a month. They didn't even put the phone into their tracking system until Wednesday the 5th and would not cover the repair under warranty because the phone had been unlocked. Every time I contacted them to find out what was going on, it would take them days to get back to me. And when they promised action, it took days more for anything to happen. I had to keep calling in to get them to do anything and I had the sincere impression that they were just trying to get me to take the phone back unrepaired and go away. I certainly wasn't going to pay $200 for their faulty hardware design. The last guy I talked to eventually covered the repair, but only after I finally lost it out of sheer frustration when he admitted that the phone had just been sitting there for three days and was not being repaired like the previous guy had promised it was. For a company that needs customers, they were very actively trying hard to lose me as a customer and have succeeded. Because of this poor customer service, I will never buy another HTC device again.

akuentzler

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Did you have to talk to an "RMA" to get it through? I've called them twice since the claim was denied, and the second time they told me an "RMA" would call me within 24-48 hours but usually it only takes a few hours. It's been almost 24 hours now and I haven't heard anything.

nauticus25

Jul 27, 2007
Did you have to talk to an "RMA" to get it through? I've called them twice since the claim was denied, and the second time they told me an "RMA" would call me within 24-48 hours but usually it only takes a few hours. It's been almost 24 hours now and I haven't heard anything.

I had to send an email to someone in the RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) department absolving HTC of any responsibility if anything happened to the phone after the repair and acknowledging that the phone would no longer be under warranty after the repair. It still took them a week after I wrote that email to even begin the repair, and even then, it was only after I got upset on the phone that the guy I was talking to grudgingly authorized the repair. I'm still pissed about it and although I'm glad I'm not using my old backup Mogul anymore, I don't even like the HTC One anymore either because of this. Seriously, never again.

akuentzler

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I had to send an email to someone in the RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) department absolving HTC of any responsibility if anything happened to the phone after the repair and acknowledging that the phone would no longer be under warranty after the repair. It still took them a week after I wrote that email to even begin the repair, and even then, it was only after I got upset on the phone that the guy I was talking to grudgingly authorized the repair. I'm still pissed about it and although I'm glad I'm not using my old backup Mogul anymore, I don't even like the HTC One anymore either because of this. Seriously, never again.

Are you at least satisfied w/ the repair work? Is it worth it to battle them while they have my phone, or should I just get it back ASAP. I too am tired of using my backup Nexus S.

nauticus25

Jul 27, 2007
Are you at least satisfied w/ the repair work? Is it worth it to battle them while they have my phone, or should I just get it back ASAP. I too am tired of using my backup Nexus S.

I've only had the phone back for a full day, so I don't have a long term opinion yet about the quality of the repair, but the camera does not exhibit the purple tint anymore. Absolutely no documentation was included in the box, so I have no record of what they did. I'm not surprised. Honestly, if I had known what a hassle it was going to be, I would have just swapped it via insurance (3rd party, not Sprint's) and taken my chances. The two guys I talked to were very accusatory in tone and kept asking what OS I had loaded on the phone. I'm assuming they meant ROM, but they specifically said "OS", as if you can load something other than Android? I only had stock Sprint ROMs on there, but must have missed something when relocking the device that pissed them off. It's like they were reading from the script "How to lose a customer".

onefasttreopro

May 8, 2009
I'm actually shocked to hear so many people having issues with reps on their repairs... I've done 2 (one for camera, other for speakers) and each time it went pretty smoothly besides slight delay for "warranty voiding damage to case" which halted speaker repair by 3 days which was quickly straightened out by RMA dept following day...im personally fully stock and it seems like unlocked bootloaders/changed roms are a biggie that is basically just a hold up til it's explained/resolved...I know it's a pain but at same time users ARE warned about warranty voiding because of it...

akuentzler

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm actually shocked to hear so many people having issues with reps on their repairs... I've done 2 (one for camera, other for speakers) and each time it went pretty smoothly besides slight delay for "warranty voiding damage to case" which halted speaker repair by 3 days which was quickly straightened out by RMA dept following day...im personally fully stock and it seems like unlocked bootloaders/changed roms are a biggie that is basically just a hold up til it's explained/resolved...I know it's a pain but at same time users ARE warned about warranty voiding because of it...

I used the HTC dev website to unlock it, and the verbiage there is vague in my opinion, or maybe I'm just biased and I'm reading it to my favor. But it does not explicitly say that unlocking your device voids the warranty, it says "It is our responsibility to caution you that not all claims resulting or caused by or from the unlocking of the bootloader may be covered under warranty." To me this means that unlocking the bootloader may have a negative effect on your phone, and that negative effect may not be covered under warranty. This does not say that by unlocking your bootloader, you are absolutely 100% voiding your warranty. The camera issue is not caused by unlocking the bootloader, therefore, it should be covered.

Am I being naive about this?

nauticus25

Jul 27, 2007
I used the HTC dev website to unlock it, and the verbiage there is vague in my opinion, or maybe I'm just biased and I'm reading it to my favor. But it does not explicitly say that unlocking your device voids the warranty, it says "It is our responsibility to caution you that not all claims resulting or caused by or from the unlocking of the bootloader may be covered under warranty." To me this means that unlocking the bootloader may have a negative effect on your phone, and that negative effect may not be covered under warranty. This does not say that by unlocking your bootloader, you are absolutely 100% voiding your warranty. The camera issue is not caused by unlocking the bootloader, therefore, it should be covered.

Am I being naive about this?

That is exactly how I read it. The wording is vague, and the actual warranty makes no mention of it whatsoever. And regardless, this is not a bootloader issue or even a software issue. It's a hardware defect. But in my conversations with the HTC reps, they were treating me as if I had physically disassembled the phone, dragged a screwdriver across the circuit board a few times, then taped it all back together and claimed it was their fault. That was bad enough, but the fact that every interaction took several days for them to do anything just really put me over the top. The last guy I talked to tried to claim that they only had the phone a week, but when I walked him through every the timeline of every interaction that I had logged, he mumbled "oh, yeah, well some of those notes are in another system that I can't see". Ugh.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It might of been because your boot loader doesn't say locked. If your s-off it is possible to make it locked. When I sent mine in I locked it and s-on and updated it. I got mine back without an issue and they fixed the camera.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    I just wrapped up a horrible experience sending the phone to HTC. I shipped it off on Thursday, January 30th and just got it back on Tuesday, February 25th. That's almost a month. They didn't even put the phone into their tracking system until Wednesday the 5th and would not cover the repair under warranty because the phone had been unlocked. Every time I contacted them to find out what was going on, it would take them days to get back to me. And when they promised action, it took days more for anything to happen. I had to keep calling in to get them to do anything and I had the sincere impression that they were just trying to get me to take the phone back unrepaired and go away. I certainly wasn't going to pay $200 for their faulty hardware design. The last guy I talked to eventually covered the repair, but only after I finally lost it out of sheer frustration when he admitted that the phone had just been sitting there for three days and was not being repaired like the previous guy had promised it was. For a company that needs customers, they were very actively trying hard to lose me as a customer and have succeeded. Because of this poor customer service, I will never buy another HTC device again.

Yea I see your guys' point....it kinda IS vague about the whole unlocking bootloader and warranty void etc etc...

I think it's a tech in repair center getting a bit too overzealous about who caused the problem...especially since it's been clearly stated and documented within HTC that the issues are hardware failures...

I guess to prevent future denials we just have to do our part in locking back up so the repair and reset/reflash (standard protocol) can be done without any additional hold ups.

The repair techs basically just have a couple options for describing reasons why warranty is voided so that's when we need to have issue escalated to a tier 2 RMA rep who works one on one with each customer/repair dispute (i personally had whole case replaced for nick on edge which tech said voided warranty for "abuse by device owner". The rma rep took care of me and prevented future denials because of his support.