SOLVED : Lower speaker clicking after re assembly

Search This thread

Iz3man

Jun 16, 2009
Hey guys,

I just swapped my silver one to a black shell.

Very simple change over for the most part.

Prior to snapping the back cover on, I made sure to test all functions. They all passed fine. I then snapped on the back and rebooted the phone. The lower speaker no longer played any audio, instead just clicks until the sound finishes. It's incredibly annoying during speaker phone calls. Any idea what it could be, or better yet, is there an app that can force the phone into mono mode with only the top speaker working?

Last edited:

Iz3man

Jun 16, 2009
Hey guys,

Prior to snapping the back cover on, I made sure to test all functions. They all passed fine. I then snapped on the back and rebooted the phone. The lower speaker no longer played any audio, instead just clicks until the sound finishes. It's incredibly annoying during speaker phone calls. Any idea what it could be, or better yet, is there an app that can force the phone into mono mode with only the top speaker working?[/QUOTE]

Alright, took it apart again and inspected it. Found the problem. at the base of the phone there is a ground clip that covers and grounds the usb board to the main board. Directly above that there is a very small connector with a black and red wire in it, those are your lower speaker connector. when reinserting it into the back cover the red wire moved onto the ground plate and wormed its way between it and a spring clip that ground it to the back cover.This spring clip applied enough force to lightly cut the casing thus grounding the positive speaker feed to the phone case. Kinda a b!tch to fix, full disassemble is needed to pull that board out, i then used liquid electrical tape on the damaged spot. Let it dry and reassembled. Now its black and perfect!

I attached a photo of the red wire and its location. Be careful with this area, I was lucky the board or phone didn't short out!

View attachment 2559853

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Google Pixel 6a
Hey guys,

Prior to snapping the back cover on, I made sure to test all functions. They all passed fine. I then snapped on the back and rebooted the phone. The lower speaker no longer played any audio, instead just clicks until the sound finishes. It's incredibly annoying during speaker phone calls. Any idea what it could be, or better yet, is there an app that can force the phone into mono mode with only the top speaker working?

Alright, took it apart again and inspected it. Found the problem. at the base of the phone there is a ground clip that covers and grounds the usb board to the main board. Directly above that there is a very small connector with a black and red wire in it, those are your lower speaker connector. when reinserting it into the back cover the red wire moved onto the ground plate and wormed its way between it and a spring clip that ground it to the back cover.This spring clip applied enough force to lightly cut the casing thus grounding the positive speaker feed to the phone case. Kinda a b!tch to fix, full disassemble is needed to pull that board out, i then used liquid electrical tape on the damaged spot. Let it dry and reassembled. Now its black and perfect!

I attached a photo of the red wire and its location. Be careful with this area, I was lucky the board or phone didn't short out!

View attachment 2559853
Wow, you've got some courage man! I really want to convert mine to black, but I'm scared.. Never opened a phone before. Post some pics of the phone please.. Any gaps/other issues?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Iz3man

Jun 16, 2009
How did you even get it apart??

Carefully and with a bit of swearing. The back cover is actually dead simple to take off, if it wasn't for the damned adhesive on the sides. Be prepared to need a new rear cover.

I used 3 different thickness guitar picks and a plastic pry tool ( those blue guys you get when you buy any part out of china). I would recommend heating up the sides to start, if you have a bean bag heating pad, use it, put it in the microwave for 2 mins and sit it on the sim card side of the phone. Because the plastic is a little flexible, I was able to slip a pick between the screen and the sim slot, then pry it upwards and slowly slide the pick toward the bottom of the phone. Once you get a little ways down stop and leave the pick in, take a thicker one and to the same, replacing the first with the new one. Repeat with another, the trick is to apply light bust constant pressure on the glue to break the bond. After a few mins of that and possibly reheating, you should be able to go around the corner and across the bottom. The glue is only of the sides. There are 4 clips of each side and 2 on both the top and bottom.
Make sure that the top assembly comes out from the bottom of the phone first or you risk damaging the power button/ir blaster.

I bought a full screen replacement with back cover from etrade, I also bought an empty shell from eBay, I used the etrade parts, but I'll swap the original screen to the ebay parts tomorrow.

Wow, you've got some courage man! I really want to convert mine to black, but I'm scared.. Never opened a phone before. Post some pics of the phone please.. Any gaps/other issues?

I was too, I watched videos, I read the forums. In the end I just grabbed it and tried to see If I could even fit the first pick in, then I got farther and finally got it off. The guts are simple to change over, just be aware that the screws are not interchangeable, so take a piece of paper make notes and keep track of your screws. When I got it rebuilt I was bumbed out at the speaker, but because there is no glue on the new free I was able to get the back off in less then a minute.

I see no gaps or problems. Everything works and the phone looks great, in my opinion they should have never made a white and silver. I'll post some picks when I'm back home tonight.

I followed the videos from Go Cell Phone Repair, he has 2, one is the tear down the other is the reassembly, Google YouTube for them, he was very thorough.

Last edited: