Rogers RUU for EVO 3D that doesn't boot

Search This thread

simlhawk

Apr 20, 2012
ROGERS RUU RECOVERY METHOD FOR ROGERS EVO 3D PHONES

Hello, I am new to XDA and I don't know much about rooting, but unlike most noobs, I am not here to ask for help. :cool:

A few days ago I was trying out rooting and was pretty pleased with what I could do, so I went ahead and tried to flash my stock rom to VIPER rom. This did not work as planned, as I tried to flash my phone with a CDMA rom, and not a GSM rom. My phone is a GSM phone. This obviously left my phone hanging at the HTC screen, and I thought I wrecked my beautiful 500$ phone. :eek: After 5 hours of frantic research, at 3 o'clock in the morning, I discovered something called an RUU. Unfortunately, most of them were for US phone providers, and me being from Canada, I had a rogers phone. After trying a few(and failing), finally, I found an RUU that could work, but it was an executable, and would not connect to my phone. As I had access to REVOLUTIONARY, I could still access my files on my sd card, and wondered if I could extract the PG86IMG.zip and put it on my sd card to do a factory reset and reinstall everything. Luckily, it actually worked and my phone was brought from the dead and ran as if I just bought it. :D

So in the next few posts I will explain how to do it for the few who are in the same situation as me with a ROGERS EVO 3D. This most likely will not work for any other phone. It might work for another supplier's GSM EVO 3D, but I have not tested it and I don't recommend it unless you have nothing else to try or you really want rogers bloatware. :confused:

simlhawk

Apr 20, 2012
Procedure

PROCEDURE

This procedure SHOULD work if you have a ROGERS EVO 3D phone, as I imagine they are all the same. However if it doesn't, you must realize that you are doing this at your own risk and I am not responsible if your phone gets damaged in any way.

NOTE: This will set the phone back to its original state when you first bought it.
If your phone was SIM Unlocked, it will not remove the Unlock.

1. Make sure your phone is charged. I don't know what could happen if you run out of juice when flashing back to stock ROM but I don't want to and I have a feeling that neither do you. Just leave it plugged in to the wall for two hours just to be safe.

2. Before you do anything, make sure that you can get into the HBOOT. This is fairly easy, just take out the battery, put it back in and then hold both the power button and the volume down button until the HBOOT shows up. If it does show up, great, shut off your phone and move on to the next step. If it doesnt show up, keep trying. After 3 tries if it doesnt work, there are three reasons for this.

A) Your phone isn't charged. Plug it into the wall for two hours.​
B) Your HBOOT is screwed up and you cant reach it. I can't help you with that. Look somewhere else or take it in to your warranty/provider.​
C) You are having hardware problems. Faulty battery, phone charger not working, power button not working, volume button not working, all things you might want to check if you can. Look somewhere else or take it in to your warranty/provider.​

3. Access your/a microSD. You might have noticed when you went inside your HBOOT that it was searching for a file. That file is actually the file that we need that will allow us to reset the phone to provider default. There are two different ways to access this.

A) Take out the card and connect it to the computer using a adapter. This is probably the easiest way and is almost guaranteed to work.​

B) Since you have rooted your phone (and are in this unfortunate position) you might be familiar with a tool called REVOLUTIONARY (Previously called ClockWorkMod). Note this is only available if you have REVOLUTIONARY installed. You can access it in the HBOOT by scrolling down using the volume buttons to RECOVERY, hitting the power button to select, in REVOLUTIONARY going to mounts and storage and then select mount USB storage. Connect the usb adapter in both your phone and in your computer. It will show up in My Computer as if it is a flash drive. I used this method.​

4. Download this file: http : //www . filefactory . com/file/49tsgwxc6bd3/n/FACTORY_RECOVERY_File_For_ROGERS_EVO_3d_zip (Remove the spaces. I am not allowed to post links till 8 posts in total so I must do this.)
Mirror:

5. Put the attached file onto the hard drive. Extract the "FACTORY_RECOVERY_File_For_ROGERS_EVO_3d.zip" and place the "PG86IMG.zip" on the root of the microSD. Plop the card back in the phone, turn off the phone once again and re-enter into HBOOT. The phone will find the PG86IMG.zip file and then ask if you would like to update. Scroll to yes, press the power button to select it, and watch. This process should take up to 3 - 6 minutes.

6. Once everything is said and done, it might reboot, but if it doesn't you can reboot it yourself. Start up your phone, and watch in amazement when your ROGERS screen appears and the phone comes back to life.

Last edited:
Reactions: icepixie

simlhawk

Apr 20, 2012
RE-ROOTING

This guide is pretty much a slightly modified version of zedomax's guide on youtube, and should work for any CDMA phone (but I can't confirm it) and certain GSM phones, including Rogers.

Re-rooting is a bit more sketchy as rooting for the first time (at least it was for me).

This guide is only for windows computers (Since the mass population of people only use windows, and if you have a mac, you probably have an iPhone. If you have Linux, you probably know how to make a unicorn pop out of the phone, so you don't need a guide.)

Before you do anything, you need to check the HBOOT version. This is absolutely crucial. Some HBOOT's are not supported, so if you try with the wrong HBOOT, you might totally destroy your phone. For good this time.

To be continued...

Last edited:

simlhawk

Apr 20, 2012
I realise that there may not be many people in the same position as me for a while, so feel free whenever to send me a message if you need help. I will most likely keep the files for a few years on my external hard drive. :cool:

mike134981320

Nov 13, 2012
Android 4+ after recovery

Hello!

Is this a recovery for Android 4? If not, were you able to update back to 4 after recovery?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROGERS RUU RECOVERY METHOD FOR ROGERS EVO 3D PHONES

Hello, I am new to XDA and I don't know much about rooting, but unlike most noobs, I am not here to ask for help. :cool:

A few days ago I was trying out rooting and was pretty pleased with what I could do, so I went ahead and tried to flash my stock rom to VIPER rom. This did not work as planned, as I tried to flash my phone with a CDMA rom, and not a GSM rom. My phone is a GSM phone. This obviously left my phone hanging at the HTC screen, and I thought I wrecked my beautiful 500$ phone. :eek: After 5 hours of frantic research, at 3 o'clock in the morning, I discovered something called an RUU. Unfortunately, most of them were for US phone providers, and me being from Canada, I had a rogers phone. After trying a few(and failing), finally, I found an RUU that could work, but it was an executable, and would not connect to my phone. As I had access to REVOLUTIONARY, I could still access my files on my sd card, and wondered if I could extract the PG86IMG.zip and put it on my sd card to do a factory reset and reinstall everything. Luckily, it actually worked and my phone was brought from the dead and ran as if I just bought it. :D

So in the next few posts I will explain how to do it for the few who are in the same situation as me with a ROGERS EVO 3D. This most likely will not work for any other phone. It might work for another supplier's GSM EVO 3D, but I have not tested it and I don't recommend it unless you have nothing else to try or you really want rogers bloatware. :confused:
    Procedure

PROCEDURE

This procedure SHOULD work if you have a ROGERS EVO 3D phone, as I imagine they are all the same. However if it doesn't, you must realize that you are doing this at your own risk and I am not responsible if your phone gets damaged in any way.

NOTE: This will set the phone back to its original state when you first bought it.
    If your phone was SIM Unlocked, it will not remove the Unlock.

1. Make sure your phone is charged. I don't know what could happen if you run out of juice when flashing back to stock ROM but I don't want to and I have a feeling that neither do you. Just leave it plugged in to the wall for two hours just to be safe.

2. Before you do anything, make sure that you can get into the HBOOT. This is fairly easy, just take out the battery, put it back in and then hold both the power button and the volume down button until the HBOOT shows up. If it does show up, great, shut off your phone and move on to the next step. If it doesnt show up, keep trying. After 3 tries if it doesnt work, there are three reasons for this.

A) Your phone isn't charged. Plug it into the wall for two hours.​
    B) Your HBOOT is screwed up and you cant reach it. I can't help you with that. Look somewhere else or take it in to your warranty/provider.​
    C) You are having hardware problems. Faulty battery, phone charger not working, power button not working, volume button not working, all things you might want to check if you can. Look somewhere else or take it in to your warranty/provider.​

3. Access your/a microSD. You might have noticed when you went inside your HBOOT that it was searching for a file. That file is actually the file that we need that will allow us to reset the phone to provider default. There are two different ways to access this.

A) Take out the card and connect it to the computer using a adapter. This is probably the easiest way and is almost guaranteed to work.​

B) Since you have rooted your phone (and are in this unfortunate position) you might be familiar with a tool called REVOLUTIONARY (Previously called ClockWorkMod). Note this is only available if you have REVOLUTIONARY installed. You can access it in the HBOOT by scrolling down using the volume buttons to RECOVERY, hitting the power button to select, in REVOLUTIONARY going to mounts and storage and then select mount USB storage. Connect the usb adapter in both your phone and in your computer. It will show up in My Computer as if it is a flash drive. I used this method.​

4. Download this file: http : //www . filefactory . com/file/49tsgwxc6bd3/n/FACTORY_RECOVERY_File_For_ROGERS_EVO_3d_zip (Remove the spaces. I am not allowed to post links till 8 posts in total so I must do this.)
    Mirror:

5. Put the attached file onto the hard drive. Extract the "FACTORY_RECOVERY_File_For_ROGERS_EVO_3d.zip" and place the "PG86IMG.zip" on the root of the microSD. Plop the card back in the phone, turn off the phone once again and re-enter into HBOOT. The phone will find the PG86IMG.zip file and then ask if you would like to update. Scroll to yes, press the power button to select it, and watch. This process should take up to 3 - 6 minutes.

6. Once everything is said and done, it might reboot, but if it doesn't you can reboot it yourself. Start up your phone, and watch in amazement when your ROGERS screen appears and the phone comes back to life.
    RE-ROOTING

This guide is pretty much a slightly modified version of zedomax's guide on youtube, and should work for any CDMA phone (but I can't confirm it) and certain GSM phones, including Rogers.

Re-rooting is a bit more sketchy as rooting for the first time (at least it was for me).

This guide is only for windows computers (Since the mass population of people only use windows, and if you have a mac, you probably have an iPhone. If you have Linux, you probably know how to make a unicorn pop out of the phone, so you don't need a guide.)

Before you do anything, you need to check the HBOOT version. This is absolutely crucial. Some HBOOT's are not supported, so if you try with the wrong HBOOT, you might totally destroy your phone. For good this time.

To be continued...
    I realise that there may not be many people in the same position as me for a while, so feel free whenever to send me a message if you need help. I will most likely keep the files for a few years on my external hard drive. :cool: