[ROM] [4.4.4] [220MB] [Sept19] CarbonRom KitKat

Search This thread

masantula

May 4, 2011
Quick question, when i try to go into accounts and i am trying to add my google accont, i dont see google, i just see IMAP and cooperate. Why is this? Did i mess somewhere?

masantula

May 4, 2011
Okay awesome, thanks

EDIT:

Increased the HBOOT and flashed the minimum GAPPS by BANKS and M2SD flashed perfectly and ROM booted well and so far working great, no issues, think before the HBOOT was too small and the GAPPS were too big and thus the phone was literally dying from everything, now its working well, so happy to see a working 4.4.4 ROM working on my old Nexus, falling in love with the phone again, thanks for keeping this alive..

Last edited:

Jaiy

Apr 22, 2011
Boston, MA
220 /system is too small

Just adding my thanks for this port. Really excellent - I reckon this is the best firmware for my Nexus One since the very early days.

Only one thing... the 220-10-206 recommended on the first page is too small, as the previous commenter also said. I added Gapps-minimal, the Genie news widget and Mounts2SD - and the total used on /system is 243.7Mb. So 250-10-176 is needed in order to do anything useful with this.

parkedraccoon

Sep 23, 2012
Just adding my thanks for this port. Really excellent - I reckon this is the best firmware for my Nexus One since the very early days.

Only one thing... the 220-10-206 recommended on the first page is too small, as the previous commenter also said. I added Gapps-minimal, the Genie news widget and Mounts2SD - and the total used on /system is 243.7Mb. So 250-10-176 is needed in order to do anything useful with this.
Included in the rom's 220MB is a 'gapps-mico' set. It's just enough to kick off gapps to allow you to add an account and download all the Google apps to /data. Now that News & Weather (Genie widget) is now on the Play Store, there's also no need to flash it. Mounts2SD takes up minimal room and will fit on the 220MB system size.

Obsy

Dec 3, 2008
Piatra Neamt
Nexus 7
Motorola Xoom
Remain 7/15 update date in description...

You can add at Known Bugs the following alternatives:
for video Videocam Illusion (with audio set at 44.1KHz)
for MMS Textra SMS

I don't have anything to deal with the devs of 2 apps. I found this apps long time ago on the Nexy brother forum HTC Desire. VideoCam is tested and working. I don't use MMS anymore... I preffer WhatsApp

Good Work @parkedraccoon ! I'll test and come back with impressions.

Reactions: metalmeric

Obsy

Dec 3, 2008
Piatra Neamt
Nexus 7
Motorola Xoom
And... (as I promised)
For the first time after a long time the cLock settings works again! (don't force close settings) Extended desktop (immersive mode) doesn't work. Can you look at tiles settings too? I think is something weird there because of expanded desktop tile cannot rearrange (always is last) and when you reorient tiles order it changes on first use. Battery seems to drain a little to fast than usually.

Can you add please on lockscreen to disable camera widget? I don't want to use Xposed only for this...

L.E. you must enable Expanded desktop in Interface settings.

Last edited:

parkedraccoon

Sep 23, 2012
And... (as I promised)
For the first time after a long time the cLock settings works again! (don't force close settings) Extended desktop (immersive mode) doesn't work. Can you look at tiles settings too? I think is something weird there because of expanded desktop tile cannot rearrange (always is last) and when you reorient tiles order it changes on first use. Battery seems to drain a little to fast than usually.

Can you add please on lockscreen to disable camera widget? I don't want to use Xposed only for this...

L.E. you must enable Expanded desktop in Interface settings.
I've noticed the tiles layout problem too. It appears to be a Carbon issue. It's happened before with them. I haven't seen any commits on it recently, so I don't know how they're gonna fix it.

Camera widget option is missing because Carbon disabled lockscreen widgets on devices with the low-RAM flag; the button isn't there. And that button leads to the menu where you can disable the camera widget.

Reactions: Obsy

Aquentus

Oct 8, 2012
move apps to SD

I flashed this ROM without any GAPPs, as it was already packed with 'gapps-mico' set.

But unlike in other ROMs (Evervolv , Beanstalk, CM n all), in this I'm not able to move any apps to SD.:(
Is there any work around:confused:

Option of 'Mounts2SD' is there, but as said "TWRP seems to not like Mounts2SD", I don't want to flash CWM.

I hope someone is still out there .. to answer in this thread.. to keep supporting The First Of All "NEXUS ONE"

Sefy

Jan 2, 2007
Netanya
sefy76.wordpress.com
I flashed this ROM without any GAPPs, as it was already packed with 'gapps-mico' set.

But unlike in other ROMs (Evervolv , Beanstalk, CM n all), in this I'm not able to move any apps to SD.:(
Is there any work around:confused:

Option of 'Mounts2SD' is there, but as said "TWRP seems to not like Mounts2SD", I don't want to flash CWM.

I hope someone is still out there .. to answer in this thread.. to keep supporting The First Of All "NEXUS ONE"

I found that there is a S2E (Simple2Ext) version that is patched to work with 4.3 and 4.4 and it worked (for me) much better then Mounts2SD (which i've used till now), so you may want to give that a try! :good:

anjey.k

Oct 2, 2014
does usb tethering work on this firmware?
I try turn it ON - but this options is disabled (usb not connected)
then I installed wired_tether_1_4.apk - start it but nothing happen.
(smartphone is charged - LED is green)
windows show - unidentified device
but when I tethering Redmi 3s - I see "windows mobile-based internet sharing device" in device manager
downgrade to CM7 - when I enable the Usb tethering - it will diactivated and stay disabled

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Black-on-Trans.png

CarbonRom KitKat for Nexus One!
    Fits on 220mb HBOOT!

7/15 Update:

From Carbon themselves:

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project.

We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub.
    We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn’t been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please – let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Features
    https://carbonrom.org/features/ (Pretty much everything.)
    Nexus One specific:
    • Trackball wake toggle (Settings -> CarbonFibers -> Buttons)

Download here.
    Read instructions before installing.

Installation:
    If you don't know what hboot is, please read this first: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1270589
    1. HBOOT /system size 220
      • I recommend cache at 10mb
    2. Wipe data.
      • This must be done before flashing zips if you want Mounts2SD to work properly, as Mounts2SD's zip writes to /data.
    3. Install ROM.
    4. (Optional but highly recommended) Install ext script such as Mounts2SD download here - same zip as my CM11)
      • You will need an ext partition on your SD card.
      • You can customize the settings after installation with the Mounts2SD app. You may want to move application libraries, for example.
      • TWRP also seems to not like Mounts2SD. CWM and 4EXT seem to work fine for me.

Known Bugs:
    • Don't even try screen recording
    • Evervolv base
      • HWA video recording/playback not working
      • no MMS
      • wifi tethering not happy - only works on no password
    • Keyboard
      • If system language is set away from English because of SIM card, keyboard will crash. Set up phone in English.
    • I myself am having some trouble downloading large applications, not sure where this problem is from

Big thanks to:
    • Evervolv - device/kernel/other repos. They're the guys that keep the old Nexus One going 4 years after it came out.
    • CarbonRom and all those who maintain the sources they use (Slim, PA, AOKP)
    • WoH, csytracy who helped me earlier on
    • dk_zero-cool, for mounts2sd.
    • spezi77, for maintaining some handy sources with qsd8k mods

Some of my sources are available on github: https://github.com/parkedraccoon/android_device_htc_passion/tree/kitkat-carbon, https://github.com/parkedraccoon/android_packages_apps_CarbonFibers
    Carbon is just about as slim as CM, but does not include a music app. That's how I left the boot animation and some audio files in there.

Old downloads:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6H3m9ss3c8scnRKMGRPLS1QaW8&usp=sharing

Old Mounts2SD:
    Some have reported problems with the current Mounts2SD script. Attached to this post is an old installer I used to use back in the 4.1 days that seems to work on sd cards that the new Mounts2SD does not. It is an Aroma installer - I recommend default settings except check dalvik along with apps.
    Why is this not the main zip? Because it takes more effort and the current Mounts2SD script seems to work fine for most.

Looking for ART? I have not been able to make ART boot on Carbon, even when using the exact same method as with CM. I may continue playing around but I doubt I'll find anything.
    I'm back! And with an update!

I've been very busy over the past weeks, doing many different things. Now that it's spring break and I'm finally back from a trip, I was able to figure things out and make a build. Check the first post for download link.

ROM itself:
    • no real changes to report. No new bugs, at least.

Carbon changes:
    • Dark Carbon (This is useful on the AMOLED Nexus Ones)
    • CM's updated theme engine
    • contextual notification center image thingy
    • lots of other small tweaks

Stay tuned for updates to my other roms and maybe even a completely different rom release if I have time.
    Only one issue to report it has been happening from the last release.

The trackball wake: when enabled it can still wake phone at times.

Thanks

Nexus One using Carbon ROM.
    Check to make sure it's not Pocket Mode (in Lockscreen settings) that is waking your phone.

1st thank you for a awesome rom =) 2nd will the mms like picture messing ever work on this or is there a fix / way around this maybe get a another mms from another 4.42 rom ? Thanks in advance
    MMS is not gonna work until it gets working in the Evervolv base.

Anyways, update time! This time's a pretty big update. Carbon's added some neat stuff.

• Android 4.4.3 - some security updates, etc.
    • Peek from PA. 10 seconds after you pick up device/pull it out of pocket, it will show on lock screen the notification. Seems to be working sometimes on our old Nexus Ones.
    • Hover from PA. Remember Halo? This brings back all the hover-window goodness without the blob that juts out onto your screen. The notifications appear as they would in Notification Center at the top of the screen in any app, and they open into a floating window when clicked on. Open in floating window options are add to multitask menu and all notifications as well.
    • updates to random other stuff as well
    Download link is in first post as always.
    New update posted! Lots of new things. I love removing things from the Known Bugs list!

ROM itself:
    • Gesture typing fixed!
    • The ROM is not so tightly bound to 220MB, so it will take less time to install. Recommended hboot size is still 220.
    • Default ringtone not existing fixed. (This fixes the 'soft,' actually completely silent, notification sound, at least in some cases.)
    • I have fixed the error in CarbonFibers on Notifications menu where it crashes.
      • I may push my fix upstream to Carbon but for devices that do not require slimming, it is not needed.

Carbon:
    • Force high gfx mode (transparent status bar/navbar) is now officially part of Carbon. Performance -> Force high-end graphics. Surprisingly enough our very own drewis/texasice's commit is used!
    • Slim's PIE added
    • Lots of small tweaks, etc.

Check first post for update link.