[APP] Msm7kCpuSpeed - Overclock Raphael/Diamond/Topaz/Rhodium/Blackstone/Whitestone

Search This thread

SpinalRemains

Jul 1, 2010
Lynbrook, N.Y.
Nayr, the only difference between OC_Auto2, and 3 is the reboot speed, correct? If I understand correctly, the version 3 doesn't add any new functions. Is that accurate?

nayr1482

Dec 2, 2009
OC_Auto4 w/ GUI

Hi, for those of you using the script (getting SOD on phone calls, etc...) I have updated the script to include a basic GUI modeled off of aguenter's GUI.

Just put both files in the root of your storage card and create a link to OC_Auto4 in your windows/startup folder as always. When you want to change speeds just go and click on the OC_Auto4_GUI. GUI lets you change your OC speed and/or Poll Interval. Enjoy!
*Keep in mind the faster the polling rate the more CPU used up!

*Note if you are using OC_Auto3 - there are no "real" differences from 3 to 4 other than adding the GUI so if you are all done tweaking your speeds etc...dont bother updating!

Anyone that downloaded this pre-5:35PM 8/2 CST re-download it if your OC is not working...found small glitch

Attachments

• OC_Auto4_GUI.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

nayr1482

Dec 2, 2009
Nayr, the only difference between OC_Auto2, and 3 is the reboot speed, correct? If I understand correctly, the version 3 doesn't add any new functions. Is that accurate?

Hey, the only other "minor" change is there is one less registry check per cycle...so it theory version 3 *should* have more time/resources available to check on screen status, phone call status, lock screen status. But probably isnt too significant.

SpinalRemains

Jul 1, 2010
Lynbrook, N.Y.
OK. I understand what you mean. I have been using version 2 for a week without incident. I find that kind of surprising, seeing as I have put phone to sleep prolly 150 times and haven't had 1 SOD. It's my understanding that the script doesn't prevent SOD, but it is in a "loop" that merely reduces the chances of SOD because it happens so rapidly. I would think that in over 100 some odd sleeps that I would have hit the sweet spot and had 1 SOD, but it really does work perfectly.

toadlife

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Lemoore, CA
OK. I understand what you mean. I have been using version 2 for a week without incident. I find that kind of surprising, seeing as I have put phone to sleep prolly 150 times and haven't had 1 SOD. It's my understanding that the script doesn't prevent SOD, but it is in a "loop" that merely reduces the chances of SOD because it happens so rapidly. I would think that in over 100 some odd sleeps that I would have hit the sweet spot and had 1 SOD, but it really does work perfectly.

I believe that there is a several second delay between the time the screen goes off and the device actually goes to a suspend state, so as long as the script checks the screen state during that transition period, you will never get a SOD. Because Windows Mobile has a habit of arbitrarily terminating processes when resources get low, I suspect that people who are getting the SOD are getting it because Windows Mobile is closing the mortscript process that runs the script.

nayr1482

Dec 2, 2009
I believe that there is a several second delay between the time the screen goes off and the device actually goes to a suspend state, so as long as the script checks the screen state during that transition period, you will never get a SOD. Because Windows Mobile has a habit of arbitrarily terminating processes when resources get low, I suspect that people who are getting the SOD are getting it because Windows Mobile is closing the mortscript process that runs the script.

agree. and lets be realistic - anything that is checking anything has a poll interval (scripts were set to 1sec, setcpuspeed default was .2 or .25 and you can change it. w/ v4 of the script you can change your poll interval as well...but if you poll to fast you chew up cpu!).

JVogler

Mar 3, 2010
has anyone found location of DispOn or backlight location for the AT&T Tilt2 stock ROM yet? Dying to try these scripts out, but always get same error with each new version...

saurabh88

Dec 5, 2008
kapadwanj
Hi, for those of you using the script (getting SOD on phone calls, etc...) I have updated the script to include a basic GUI modeled off of aguenter's GUI.

Just put both files in the root of your storage card and create a link to OC_Auto4 in your windows/startup folder as always. When you want to change speeds just go and click on the OC_Auto4_GUI. GUI lets you change your OC speed and/or Poll Interval. Enjoy!
*Keep in mind the faster the polling rate the more CPU used up!

*Note if you are using OC_Auto3 - there are no "real" differences from 3 to 4 other than adding the GUI so if you are all done tweaking your speeds etc...dont bother updating!

so what polling interval should be there for saftey?i set 1000..is it right?

blunij

May 3, 2010
So, I installed mortscript and netrippers v2. I also put your two script files in the root of storage card. I then used File Explorer and selected the non-gui script, copy, and went to the windows startup folder and did paste shortcut. After restarting phone, I selected 604mhz and 1000 when running gui script. After restart and doing gui again it does not show new mhz at top. What am I missing, and thanks for all your hard work!? I have a TP2. Hmm...when I went to Msm7kcpuspeed, it does show I am currently at 604.8.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2008
Updating Script and Catching up

Hey everyone, been out for a bit. I tell you alot happens in a weeks time. Been skimming over the thread this morning and wow alot has taken place. Well I got bored because I wasn't getting any SOD's and the script was working like it was supposed to so I thought I would tinker with it a little more. I added a few more functions and borrowed a couple of Ideas (hope you all don't mind) from nayr1482 and Cls_ to add future additions to make using the script much more user friendly.

Ok so what are the changes:
1 - When you run the script it automatically puts a shortcut in the StartUp folder. (named AA-Startup.lnk)

2 - Added in a safemode that will automatically throttle down if you lockup during startup and have to Soft Reset. (Limited testing but seems to be working fine.)

3 - Automatically checks for reg values for phone and display using array method introduced by Cls_ (I didn't even know mort could do that!)

4 - Reduced startup and increased poll interval. Changed formating like nayr1482, because I may also use a config script for adjusting settings in the future. (great Idea!!!)

Note: I still write all values to the registry because I use the information written there to debug when problems arise.

With all that has been accomplished since I last posted I don't know if this will still be helpful but here you go. Of course you will need to change the extension of the file from '.txt' to '.mscr'

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
has anyone found location of DispOn or backlight location for the AT&T Tilt2 stock ROM yet? Dying to try these scripts out, but always get same error with each new version...

I'm sure it's dependent on which registry editor you're using, but most of them have a 'search' function built-in. If you can find your search function, just put in 'DispOn' or 'backlight' and it should find all entries in your registry.

Last edited:

bteljuice

Mar 16, 2006
Hey everyone, been out for a bit. I tell you alot happens in a weeks time. Been skimming over the thread this morning and wow alot has taken place. Well I got bored because I wasn't getting any SOD's and the script was working like it was supposed to so I thought I would tinker with it a little more. I added a few more functions and borrowed a couple of Ideas (hope you all don't mind) from nayr1482 and Cls_ to add future additions to make using the script much more user friendly.

1 - When you run the script it automatically puts a shortcut in the StartUp folder. (named AA-Startup.lnk)

2 - Added in a safemode that will automatically throttle down if you lockup during startup and have to Soft Reset. (Limited testing but seems to be working fine.)

3 - Automatically checks for reg values for phone and display using array method introduced by Cls_ (I didn't even know mort could do that!)

4 - Reduced startup and increased poll interval. Changed formating like nayr1482, because I may also use a config script for adjusting settings in the future. (great Idea!!!)

Note: I still write all values to the registry because I use the information written there to debug when problems arise.

With all that has been accomplished since I last posted I don't know if this will still be helpful but here you go. Of course you will need to change the extension of the file from '.txt' to '.mscr'

Thank you again for all your work. The first Startup script is working PERFECTLY FOR ME on my TP2 NRJ, 748 :D NO SOD no NOTHING. PERFECT

blunij

May 3, 2010

Wow, making things easier by the moment. Does this require Netripper's Msm7kcpuspeed cab?

JVogler

Mar 3, 2010
I'm sure it's dependent on which registry editor you're using, but most of them have a 'search' function built-in. If you can find your search function, just put in 'DispOn' or 'backlight' and it should find all entries in your registry.

Searching for DispOn yields 0 results, and backlight gets results, but none that have to do with the backlight being either ON of OFF. So this ROM must use a different entry for wether the backlight is on or not...wondering if anyone using the same ROM has figured out what entry that is. Or maybe another solution for running these scripts on a AT&T Tilt 2.

Eternity-3D

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego
nayr the code works thank you!

blackstone - regarding your PM...i cant send you files via PM so i am attaching it here. i did NOT test this - so you will have to let me know how/if it works (should - unless i mistyped something which happens from time to time).
however - i agree with everyone else, for 20mhz i dont know why!

but hopefully it does what you want. let me know.

YESSSSS IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
revised script PERFECT

your the besttt whatever i can to repay you mann

Last edited:

core7x

Account currently disabled
Apr 14, 2009
GB
meettomy.site

For those not find DispOn, I change it to BackLight

Attachments

• AA-Startup-BackLight.txt
    10.1 KB · Views: 50

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Excellent App!

Reporting with a Tilt 2 and i put it to 787mhz(because im crazy like that) and i can confirm it doesnt hang, even when i unplugged it, it doesnt hang at all :eek: i even turn the phone on stand by for a couple of seconds and its still sits at 787, now if i leave it on standby for a minute i get this "Unexpected Error"

Reporting in with a HTC Fuze, set it on 768 and it hangs LOL, but anything lower than 768 it runs stable when plugged in, but if i unplug it, it crashes!

but im glad to see the progress of this app, hopefully heat issue and the app running on permanent battery power will be almost done because this is an awesome app, im planning to review this app on youtube, if you dont mind! thanks again! :D
    After LeoCpuSpeed to overclock the HD2, I've been working on overclocking the MSM7k SoC on the Raphael, with success. The same processor is present on the Diamond, Rhodium and the Topaz, so it should work on all of these devices. I've been able to underclock to 57MHz and overclock up to 710MHz, using small 19.2MHz steps. It can clock even further, but it depends on the quality of the processor in your device where the limit for you lies.

Supported devices
    - Raphael
    - Diamond
    - Rhodium (check out this post for a nice guide and this app by oruam57 to prevent SOD)
    - Topaz
    - Blackstone
    - Whitestone
    - More?

Features
    - The CPU speed is calculated from the actual clock registers, not via some dll or shady method.
    - CPU speed is updated every 250ms (I haven't seen it auto-scale to other frequencies yet, but kept this feature from LeoCpuSpeed).
    - A small dot blinks on each update so that you can see if your device hangs or not.
    - Under- or overclock by moving the slider
    - Automatically apply setting at boot

- While waiting for version 3 of this app, oruam57 made a little app that automatically scales down when the screen is off and overclocks again when exiting standby, effectively preventing SOD.

Notes on overclocking
    1) AT YOUR OWN RISK
    2) Only works while connected to AC power (depending on device)
    3) The "604MHz" OC frequency is a special one. Only with this frequency set, you can remove AC power without having a lockup. So: after you overclock and want to remove your USB cable, set it to 604MHz first! You'll see it go back to the default 528MHz a second after you remove the cable. That's something the device does, not my app.
    4) Overclocking while on battery gives insta-hang (for me). It seems this depends on the device.
    5) Use "Apply at boot" wisely! If you use a setting that is unstable, your device may not boot up anymore! You'd need a hard-reset (factory settings).

When using TCPMP to benchmark the overclock, be aware that this tool overclocks the CPU, not the GPU.

Battery
    I have not done any tests regarding battery life. The voltage to the processor is the same as when it is on 528MHz. It seems it cannot be increased. However, more speed will result in more heat, which means energy from your battery. :)
    (And before you ask, I haven't performed any temperature tests either).

Screenshots
    v1_ss1.png
    v1_ss2.png

Versions
    v2
    - Enabled apply at boot option (Choose wisely, if your device hangs on boot, you'll need a hard reset)
    - Fix app crash (trackbar exception) when going into standby
    - Increased max freq to 902.4MHz for those fortunate enough
    - SoD/hang on battery/etc not fixed yet

v1
    - Initial release

Known issues
    Q: My device hangs when unplugging from AC power
    A: Read the overclock notes.

Q: When on battery and I press the "604MHz" button, it shows 604MHz for a brief second, and then goes back to "528MHz".
    A: Some driver, module, or whatever in Windows Mobile enforces CPU speed every second, overriding the overclock. This is a known issue.

Q: My device hangs after standby (Sleep Of Death)
    A: This is a known problem. Until fixed, only solution is to clock to "604" (the special frequency) before putting your phone away.

Q: Msm7kCpuSpeed crashes. When it does, and I click "details", it says something about System.Windows.Forms.Trackbar.set_Value.
    A: This is a known problem. The app calculates frequency every 250ms. When the device goes into standby, there's a small window where the CPU is set to 19.2MHz, but my app isn't put to sleep by Windows Mobile yet. When in this small window, it calculates the frequency and updates the app, it crashes. This is because the lowest frequency in my app is 57.6MHz, and it can't find 19.2MHz (or 38MHz). Fixed in v2.

Credits
    Thanks to phhusson and bzo for their overclock in the Linux kernel for MSM7k devices, where I could lend some code from.
    And thanks to BASSMANBOB for letting me know such a tool is in demand.

Download
    v2 HERE
    v1 HERE
    I have been able to go through the entire weekend without a single SOD! The device auto clocks when I unlock and underclocks when I hit the power button. I am a happy camper!

Which scripts are you using ? Is there anyway for someone to cab the scripts up ? I'm a bit of a noob and don't want to screw anything up ( I know chickens@#t ) .
    I just wrote some logic at the beginning of the GUI script to copy it over if it isn't there, but I guess I'll go ahead and CAB the DLL in. It will run fine without Netripper's CAB, it's just a standalone library that oruam is dynamically linking to...I guess it kind of makes sense for it to be bundled since if the DLL changes then oruams app may need edits too, so providing a version of the DLL that is known to work seems to be a good option.

Thanks for the input. :)
    Superb Need Advice

Hello guys I need some advice what i can do:)

1st this Tools is awesome i Overclock my Blackstone at may diferent speeds and i enjoy Level 37 witch is 710.4 Mhz on this Level i see alot of improvements the device run super fast and smooth and i dont have any problem with the device NO freeze or anything im making calls without problem But randomly sometimes i see that the device TURN OFF by itself or Freeze... and this problem is randomly because sometimes i use 7 days without a Problem and sometime just freeze so ths heppand not only on level 37 this heppand on all levels.. under 37 witch mean is not due to alot overclocking etc..
    I think is related to SetCPUspeed somehow..

So what i can do to get work this even better?!

I think because i install SetCPUspeed to my SD Card can cause the problem because the scrip is running from my SD so in some cases if my SD is too slow or anything this can cause crash problem. I think will be better if all is instaled on the Phone Memory but im not very sure because if crash again and im not able to Start it i just cant remove my SD and to fix the problem because once when this is installed on the Main Memory just will need Hard Reset so my question is do anyone can advice me something!!!

Here is what i install and what settings i Do

1st i Install Msm7kCpuSpeed_v2 to Device Memory
    2nd Installing SetCpuSpeed-1.0d to my SD card
    After this Soft reset the device and remove the SD card
    After the the Device is loaded im going to my regs and i set this

BootTime = 200000
    ChekTime = 20
    PerformanceLevel = 37
    ScreenOffPerformanceLevel = 27
    SettlingTime = 10

And puting back my SD andSoft Reset

After the Soft Reset im waiting carefull the whole device to Load Manila and all other stufs and i put it on sleep for over 30 seconds then i wake it up and turn WiFi ON and do not touch it for some time then for example after a minute when the device is already Overclocked and fully loaded i Turn Off the Wifi and thats it...

Note this steps with the Wi FI i read somehwere is better to do it like this. befor i do the Overclock without the WiFi trick andhave the same result..

My Question is can i improve something the device to not turn off by itself when he want... because its really random problem not all the time witch meanthe Device CAN RUN REALLY at Level 37 with no problem but sometimes something causing problems!

Thans in advance