LectureNotes - S-Pen App with fast dev. speed

Search This thread

lazer155

Sep 20, 2012
What do the velocity and direction dependency settings do to the pencils? I have an active stylus on the note 10.1 and am nor sure what those 2 settings are doing to the pencils I enable it on.

claytonjn

Nov 3, 2011
claytonjamesphotography.webs.com
@acadoid

Maybe this has been suggested before and I forgot, but I just thought of this idea while taking notes in class. Would it be possible to implement a sort of dynamic (context-based) hover indicator that changes based on the active tool? For example, if you are using the pencil tool the hover indicator would be colored the same color as your pencil and the diameter would be the same as the tool. If you're using the eraser, again the diameter would be the same as the diameter of the eraser, and maybe would be a black outline or perhaps the same translucent grey of the eraser. Then there would also be specific hover indicators for the lasso tool, drawing tool, etc.

I think this would improve my workflow quite a bit as I wouldn't need to look up at the action bar or toolbox as often, especially when I use the side button of my stylus to toggle tools.

Reactions: avruma and meyece

Kumabjorn

Aug 13, 2011
Lund
Excellent idea, I believe it can be done. S-Note on the latest Note 3 have different cursor friending on the tool.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@lazer155: If you enable velocity or pressure dependency, then the width and opacity of the line depends on the velocity with which you move the pencil or the pressure that you apply (the latter requires an active stylus such as the S-pen); concerning velocity dependency, you can choose whether moving faster increases or decreases thickness and opacity. How much line with and opacity is affected can be adjusted in the app's handling settings.
@JamMasterClay & Kumabjorn: Interesting idea, I noted it down.

Reactions: meyece

gerberman

Apr 27, 2010
hi acadoid,

i'm having a problem with the audio recording feature.
the problem happens while i'm recording and i try to insert an image using the note 10.1 screen capture feature (circling using the s-pen).
every time i do that the recording stops and i have to start a new one...

is there anything i'm doing wrong?

thanks!

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@gerberman: I guess that you directed the material to LectureNotes, didn't you? In this case, LectureNotes gets restarted, and as a side-effect of that, a running recording is stopped.

What you can do is not select any target app, then list of apps disappears after a slight moment (two seconds on my Note 10.1), and select `paste from non-standard clipboard´ in the `cutter´ menu, your selection should be the first item in this list.

MarlinFF

Oct 31, 2010
Los Angeles
Hey Acadoid,

Can you possibly change the recording playback functionality? If I'm playing a recording and I accidentally tap another recording (Not even the play button on it, just accidentally tap it so it displays the play button) it will stop my playback and thus lose my place on my recording I was just on. Can this be changed so that this will only occur if I actually press on the play button on another file?

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@MarlinFF: At the moment, only one recording can be open, so that opening a recording closes the recording that is open, and closing a recording makes the recording stop replaying.

Your suggestion requires either that more than one recording can be open simultaneously or that closing a recording does not make it stop replaying.

MarlinFF

Oct 31, 2010
Los Angeles
@MarlinFF: At the moment, only one recording can be open, so that opening a recording closes the recording that is open, and closing a recording makes the recording stop replaying.

Your suggestion requires either that more than one recording can be open simultaneously or that closing a recording does not make it stop replaying.

Is it still considered opening a file if it is not playing? If I tap on another file title it will stop my playback and that's it. It doesn't start playing the new file as I haven't pressed play yet. I was just suggesting it not stop any playback unless a file is actually started

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@MarlinFF: Tapping on a recording so it opens and displays the controls means internally that the recording is opened and its replay is paused, so that clicking on the `play´ icon directly starts replay.

How about temporarily hiding the recordings? This would avoid accidental tapping and also increase the size of the displayed notebook content?

gertgertgert

Jan 19, 2013
notebook board

Hello Acadoid,

Thx for the great app, still very happy with it.
I lately though have a strange issue with the notebook board appearance. I set it to Normal-Display first page, and uncheck dont display notebook label. It then shows correctly the first page for all notebooks, but it shows only notebook labels for some files. When I check it, all notebook labels (correctly) are not shown. When I uncheck it again, it still shows only notebook labels for some (the same) files again.
I've been playing around with foldersync lately for creating central backups and did some restore tests too, that might have to something with it? Everything else works great. Mayby got a clue what went wrong and how to fix it? T.i.a.

Grt.
Gert

lazer155

Sep 20, 2012
Has anyone noticed that drawing right on the left edge of the screen is erratic? The lines you draw become inaccurate compared to the rest of the digitizer area when in lecture notes. It seems to be a hardware problem to me and I think I remember seeing a thread or two about it awhile ago but I've never read any posts in this thread of people having the issue which makes me think maybe I'm just missing a setting somewhere. I've tried the various filters but none of them seem to help.

claytonjn

Nov 3, 2011
claytonjamesphotography.webs.com
Has anyone noticed that drawing right on the left edge of the screen is erratic? The lines you draw become inaccurate compared to the rest of the digitizer area when in lecture notes. It seems to be a hardware problem to me and I think I remember seeing a thread or two about it awhile ago but I've never read any posts in this thread of people having the issue which makes me think maybe I'm just missing a setting somewhere. I've tried the various filters but none of them seem to help.

Yes, AFAIK all Galaxy Note 10.1's suffer from this (although I haven't heard anything about the newer model.)

I just zoom the page out slightly so that it doesn't extend to the sides of the screen and I'm not tempted to try to write there. The page stops just before the weirdness starts occuring.

Reactions: lazer155

MarlinFF

Oct 31, 2010
Los Angeles
@MarlinFF: Tapping on a recording so it opens and displays the controls means internally that the recording is opened and its replay is paused, so that clicking on the `play´ icon directly starts replay.

How about temporarily hiding the recordings? This would avoid accidental tapping and also increase the size of the displayed notebook content?

I guess I should be doing that all along. The reason why I leave them open and kind of enlarged is so I can scroll through the recording easily at a whim. It is harder when there are less step sizes. It's been my only pet peeve when it comes to listening to lectures.

MarlinFF

Oct 31, 2010
Los Angeles
Maybe a change on the recording playback screen if so? https://www.dropbox.com/s/cghi9n3mmhv83ks/Screenshot_2014-03-08-13-11-42.png Also a button to hide/show the recording playback list? Also those << and >> would be next and previous file. The whole toolbar isn't really utilized while a recording is played which is why I'm suggesting it be used to display the play, time slider, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: meyece

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The technical issues first:

@JamMasterClay: To allow scrolling to continue with one finger after starting it with two fingers is intentionally, as it eases handling. When you lift one of the two fingers, zooming is immediately stopped, and one could of course also stop scrolling.

@Axel_: You can use an existing notebook as template for a new one, this copies all parameters including JavaScript code.

@tririver: 1. It might be that the ctrl-b/i/u are caught by the Android system before LectureNotes sees them. Have you tried to use alt or meta instead of ctrl? 2. LectureNotes does not directly interact with a soft or hardware keyboard, it only `sees´ a stream of key down and up events provided by the Android system.

Now the non-technical issues:

Many thanks for your comments and opinions.

I see chuckjones' points: updates are supposed to enhance workflow, not to break it; UI should remain fast, slim, and consistent; settings should remain managable.

For the first point, no one is forced to accept an update, you can remain with a given version if you are happy with it, or update less frequently. The fact that the `what's new´ section in Google Play didn't change for a new update is usually due to the delayed update of these sections.

Even though you might have gotten the opposite impression, I am actually quite picky concerning suggestions that make it into LectureNotes. I do not mind to add features that are maybe less critical but do not effect the overall response of the app (to display the first page on the notebooks board was mentioned as an example), but I am quite reluctant concerning the core functionality. I need to be convinced that a given suggestion and its implementation will fit into the UI, and I do turn down suggestions that do not fit according to my opinion (I make the effort to explain why I turn down a suggestion, though). This is the reason why it took quite long until the input zone (not relevant for users with a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, but quite critical for users with passive stylus) and the text layer was added, despite of hundreds of emails that I received, as I felt that the implementations that I was trying did not fit. And this is also the reason why the planned improvements of the text drawing tool will take some more time to come, as I am still not satisfied with my present realization. For the same reason, I do not like the idea of polls concerning new or revised features (even though I am a deeply democratic person), as I will likely feel obligated to follow them.

I might be wrong, but I think the main reason for the admittedly complex settings is not that LectureNotes has too many functions, but rather that I do not like the idea of imposing default values of a given functionality without the possibility to adjust them. I agree that the settings can be scary for a new users, but I try to give meaningful default values, so that with the exception of the input settings, no user is forced to deal with the settings.
    I received a couple of reports concerning strange `squiggled´ lines when using LectureNotes on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 devices. So far, only this device seems effected. It is not clear what is causing this problem, but I agree with ratindahat that it is probably a mixture of hardware and software.

I just uploaded v1.16.8 into Google Play in which there is a second input `filter´, namely to optionally discard coordinates `between´ input events sent by the Android system (which are called `historical input events´ in Android terms). In the filter input settings dialog, this is the first option, as this `filter´ is applied first, and the Ramer-Douglas-Peucker filter that is available since v1.16.3 is the second option, as this filter is applied second. Actually, these `historical´ events *should* be used, and not using them rather elaborates on the symptoms and does not solve the underlying problem, but I received some positive feedback from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 users so that you might wish to try this new `filter´.

I will try to get a hand on a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 device to investigate this further (and hopefully find a work-around concerning the stylus button, too).
    I am not sure whether these features were requested in this thread or another, but I just uploaded v1.18.2 which allows to place widgets of notebook pages on the launcher screen and to exclude the notebook/folder name when using custom ZIP/PDF directory.

Not relevant for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 users, but stylus detection via software emulation functions now on Asus Nexus 7 and Samsung Nexus 10 with Adonit Jot-Pro and Wacom Bamboo stylus.
    @davidlondono & Axel_: I just uploaded v2.1.14 in which a viewed or shared image is automatically directed to an open notebook (at least within the first ten minutes after LectureNotes went into background, afterwards you will be asked about the notebook as before).

@Zantier & GreenFuzzer: The drawing tool icon is highlighted now when a drawing tool is active.
    I am not sure whether this was suggested in this or in another thread, but the latest version v1.18.1 that I just uploaded to Google Play allows to scroll the icons in the action bar in case the icons take more space than available.