NFC tags - What will you use them for?

Search This thread

eastpac

Nov 9, 2013
Yeh i was going to go for the NTAG203 but then i used trigger and created some dummy actions that i would use, they were well over the 144bytes mark. The Topaz 512's arent that much more expensive, only a couple of dollars. I dont mind paying for quality.

Yeh I just ended up buying them, figured I might need the extra memory. From the site below for people in Australia (I contacted them and they confirmed there is complete overlap b/w this and the NTAG203 besides the memory) :

https://www.whiztags.com/product/whiztags-10-pack-topaz-512-compatible-with-all-nfc-phones/

rohin26

Mar 9, 2013
I bought mine from the same site, I'm down in Australia aswell lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

TheTommyD

Sep 8, 2013
Ottawa
I programmed my Buss Pass and Bank Card to open their respective apps you can't write to them but they can be used as a trigger.. You can use anything with a NFC Chip in it!

Good if you want to experiment and you don't have any tags yet. I'm using NFC Task Launcher (Now Trigger) and the Update, that may be required for this to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCMuffin

obionenairobi

Jan 16, 2006
I have been reading this NFC thread with great interest.
Can this only work by tapping the phone on the tag or does it work near distance?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

rohin26

Mar 9, 2013
The range depends on what kind of phone you have but I think varies between 1-4cm or so. You are pretty much tapping it at that distance anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

cooooooop

Nov 8, 2013
I have a few tags, here is what I use them for:

- one tag at work that sets a Tasker variable AT_WORK to on/off and based on that variable changes if I get notifications for work email. Also launches my time tracking website.
- one tag on my wireless blue tooth headphones that enables bluetooth and pairs the headphones
- a couple tags around the house that turn media mode on/off (media volume max, launch upnp player/stop playing) so I can plug into speakers and start playing music/videos off my local network
- a tag next to my door to outside that turns on gps, screen brightness max, ringer volume max, turn on lock screen (opposite when I come home)
- tag on my car keys that starts car mode

I use them pretty frequently. Can be a pain to setup properly, especially the one I needed to set up to only turn on/off work email notifications, but the time saved each time I use them is adding up quickly!

Reactions: jt.61

TheTommyD

Sep 8, 2013
Ottawa
I have a few tags, here is what I use them for:

- one tag at work that sets a Tasker variable AT_WORK to on/off and based on that variable changes if I get notifications for work email. Also launches my time tracking website.
- one tag on my wireless blue tooth headphones that enables bluetooth and pairs the headphones
- a couple tags around the house that turn media mode on/off (media volume max, launch upnp player/stop playing) so I can plug into speakers and start playing music/videos off my local network
- a tag next to my door to outside that turns on gps, screen brightness max, ringer volume max, turn on lock screen (opposite when I come home)
- tag on my car keys that starts car mode

I use them pretty frequently. Can be a pain to setup properly, especially the one I needed to set up to only turn on/off work email notifications, but the time saved each time I use them is adding up quickly!

I read your post quickly and when I saw "a tag next to my door outside that turns on gps: I read gas.

He starts his BBQ lol.

endigo85

Dec 27, 2011
I've used NFC tags for 2 years and I do agree the novelty wears away rapidly. Here are the only ones that I use anymore, regularly anyway.

- Toggle Night Mode On/Off (auto brightness, lower phone and notification volume, say "Good Night"). I placed this one on my dresser next to the bed.
- Toggle Bluetooth On/Off. This is placed on the sun visor in my car and automatically connects to a Bluetooth music receiver plugged into the car's auxiliary input. Furthermore, establishing this Bluetooth connection launches a Tasker profile that automatically opens my music app and then a few seconds later, begins navigating home or to work, depending where I am and what time it is.
- Display Wi-Fi password. It's placed on my Wi-Fi router.

Reactions: sohell

nfaust01

Jan 28, 2009
Clinton Township, MI
I plan to use one and only one. Never had a need for one before as Tasker automates my phone. But the one i will use will be in junction with tasker.

It will be placed on the wireless charging pad that also has a magnetic hold for a wireless dock in my car. The tag will trigger tasks to connect to my App Radio 3, Connect to my PTV3000 and set the necessary volumes and profiles for in car such as read aloud texts.

So to get a full mirror on my radio of my phone all i would have to do is place my phone on the mat.

evildave_666

May 7, 2011
Tokyo
Anyone ever found an app that will start/terminate a VPN connection (using the built-in VPN client stuff) using a tag?
Tasker and everything else I've tried can't seem to manage it.

saviora

Apr 28, 2011
NFC NOOB

I have not played around with NFC before so how would I use it to find stuff that usually get lost (keys, remotes etc)? If I tag my key chain, how would I be able to find it?

Have 2 tags with the same purpose - one on the set of keys and one the wall or desk where it wont move.... and then?

Can it be tracked/traced to within a few metres or less?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm very intrigued by the Nexus 5's NFC feature. I have ordered 10 tags from eBay, and plan on playing around with them.

Here are some ideas that I will be exploring:

• you could store a URL on then so when someone places there phone near the tag, it loads a webpage, or, better yet, a YouTube video
    • You could also put an NFC sticker on the back of your business card that contains a VCard so when scanned by a phone, will add a new contact with name, address, email, and phone number
    • You can also use it to launch app or various actions like NFC Task Launcher
    • Use a nfc tag to open a photo of your list of medications for a diabetic and then be stick onto a braclet for emergency services to use
    • Switching on my WiFI and changing my lock screen from "pattern" to "None" when I enter my home
    • Switching BT on and starting Google Music when I get into my car
    • Putting my mobile into Aeroplane Mode at night
    • I have one at work setting the phone to dock mode, wifi on etc
    • I have one located in my entrance hall so when I get home my mobile data turns off, wifi turns on and a SMS is sent to the wife letting her know I'm home
    • I have one in my sofa cushion which I use on my Galaxy S3 to run a Tasker script to wake my media center and start a remote control app
    • Got one on my wallet as my contact card, so if some one asks for my number, I just NFC it onto there phone, works through the wallet, so you can stick it on the inside or to a card in side, or even just slip it into a pouch.
    • Got one on my work ID badge. So when going into work in morning, after breaks and lunch etc, swipe the phone over my badge, and it shuts everything down, leaving the phone exactly how I specify.
    • Put one inside the battery cover of my tv remote and if I touch my phone to it it brings up a tv guide on my phone.
    • On my bedside cabinet, the sticker opens IMDB as me and my girlfriend are always like "OMG who is that?!" when watching films
    • I have one by my bed to turn phone to silent and load up Music Streaming and then tap it again in the morning and it turn it back to "day mode"
    • log visitors into your home wifi network without them needing the password.
    • I can now connect my phone to my car cradle, and the tag on it automatically increases screen brightness to max, increases media volume to max, turns on bluetooth, and loads my sat nav app Waze
    • The Car

I've attached this tag to the dashboard in our car and it does the following to my phone:

Turns off wifi and enables mobile data
      Turns up all of the volume settings to max
      Opens my Google Music app, so I can choose a playlist to listen to
    • Welcome Home!

This tag is located on the bookcase just inside my front door. When I swipe my phone over it, the following happens:

Mobile data is turned off and wifi is turned on
      Volumes are turned down to 50%
      My phone forces a sync to check for new emails / updates etc.
    • Bed Time

Attached to the headboard of our bed, this tag sets my phone up for the night, it:

Sets my phone to silent
      Turns off vibrate
      Sets my alarm volume to full
      I could also have it set an alarm, but I have a wife who is far more successful at waking me up than an alarm!
    • Washing Machine!

This one is my favourite, for out and out unnecessary geekiness! Attached to our washing machine, it:

Set the alarm on my phone for when the washing cycle is due to finish (I worked the length out) and this means I'm less likely to forget to dry stuff once it's washed.

It also sends an sms to my wife, telling her "I've put a load in the washing machine x".

This scores me some husband points and also remind her that there's a load in the washing machine that needs drying if I'm out when she gets home. Domestic bliss!
    • The Keyring

Along with the 10 tags I purchased came an additional tag on a keyring. I've programmed this one to check into Foursquare. Whenever I swipe my phone over the keyring, it opens up the list of nearby Foursquare locations and I simply tap the correct one to check in.
    • Darkfire2024 - Right now I have one on my laundry basket to set alarm for 30 minutes to tell me the laundry is done. i also use the keychain as a vibrate/ringer toggle for when I leave and enter meetings.

Is there a list of what others have done? Is there anything more interesting that people have already done?
    I can see the potential, and am looking for other's ideas to explore.

Oh, and is Trigger (nee NFC Task Launcher) what everyone is using?
    Just some info incase you guy didn't already know. When buying NFC tags for the Nexus 5, make sure they say NTAG203 or you will have problems writing them.
    I have just received the Topaz 512 NFC (Type 1) tags from Whiztags:

https://www.whiztags.com/product/whiztags-10-pack-topaz-512-compatible-with-all-nfc-phones/

Just confirming for everyone that the Topaz 512 NFC (Type 1) are working perfectly with the Nexus 5.

They are especially useful when the commands are >140b, commands that the NTAG203 will not have enough space to support
    I am not sure either - like you suggest, I would have hought both types are compaitable with all devices. More intelligent people may be able to explain it better..

http://xdaforums.com/wiki/NFC_Tags
    http://www.nfc.cc/technology/nfc-tag-types/

Below I found an explanation of the different tag types. Basically what I took from it is that type 1 &2 are meant to have a more disposable nature because they're not able to store enough information to perform complex tasks and are inexpensive to make. Type 3 & 4 are meant for more difficult things (i.e. probably things like Google Wallet reader where significant amounts of info are being passed around), are set at manufacture and thus can't be programmed as well as are more expensive.

Took the following from http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/wireless/nfc/near-field-communications-tags-types.php

NFC tag type definitions:

There are four basic tag types that have been defined. These are given designations 1 to 4 and each has a different format and capacity. These NFC tag type formats are based on ISO 14443 Types A and B which is the international standard for contact-less smartcards) and Sony FeliCa which conforms to ISO 18092, the passive communication mode, standard).
    The advantage of keeping the NFC tags as simple as possible is that they may be deemed to be disposable in many instances, often embedded in posters that may only have a short life, etc.

The different NFC tag type definitions are as follows:

Tag 1 Type: The Tag 1 Type is based on the ISO14443A standard. These NFC tags are read and re-write capable and users can configure the tag to become read-only. Memory availability is 96 bytes which is more than sufficient to store a website URL or other small amount of data. However the memory size is expandable up to 2 kbyte. The communication speed of this NFC tag is 106 kbit/s. As a result of its simplicity this tag type is cost effective and ideal for many NFC applications.

Tag 2 Type: The NFC Tag 2 Type is also based on ISO14443A. These NFC tags are read and re-write capable and users can configure the tag to become read-only. The basic memory size of this tag type is only 48 bytes although this can be expanded to 2 kbyte. Again the communication speed is 106 kbit/s.

Tag 3 Type: The NFC Tag 3 Type is based on the Sony FeliCa system. It currently has a 2 kbyte memory capacity and the data communications speed is 212 kbit/s. Accordingly this NFC tag type is more applicable for more complex applications, although there is a higher cost per tag.

Tag 4 Type: The NFC Tag 4 Type is defined to be compatible with ISO14443A and B standards. These NFC tags are pre-configured at manufacture and they can be either read / re-writable, or read-only. The memory capacity can be up to 32 kbytes and the communication speed is between 106 kbit/s and 424 kbit/s.

From the definitions of the different NFC tag types, it can be seen that type 1 and 2 tags are very different to type 3 and 4 tags, having different memory capacity and makeup. Accordingly it is expected that there is likely to be very little overlap in their applications.
    Type 1 and type 2 tags are dual state and may be either read/write or read-only. Type 3 and Type 4 tags are read-only, data being entered at manufacture or using a special tag writer.
    Can you help me with this one? Thanks!

Sure, I'll try :)

- Open Trigger -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jwsoft.nfcactionlauncher&hl=en_GB
    - Go to My Tasks
    - Hit the plus symbol at the top to create a new trigger
    - Hit the plus symbol at the too to select a trigger - choose NFC
    - Hit the plus symbol at the top to choose an category - choose Wireless & Networks - then choose WiFi Connect
    - Configure your wifi connection
    - Give this a name if you get a chance
    - Add a secondary task (Actually, maybe you want the first task to switch wifi on, and connecting to your wifi as the second task?)

Give that a go