[APP][2.3+] Lux Auto Brightness

Search This thread

niphoet

Jul 14, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
OnePlus 6
I found the version 1.99 very buggy and reported the bugs to developer, he said he will fix it and would release the next version 2.xx. Now I'm on version 1.95. The bugs reported while i was using 1.95 yet need to be fixed as well. All in all i can say, 1.95 is better than the latest 1.99. Let's see if the developer could fix.

Sent from my Micromax Canvas 4 A210

I bought Lux pro but all of my Titanium backups are 1.99. Is there any way to download the older version?

streetrod60

Jul 27, 2014
hi Cyb3rGlitch,

i've just paid for lux auto brightness. there are question for the setting.

Why do i have to open the dashboard in order to make my light sensors to read my current environment light? each time i go outdoor from my office, i cannot read my display due to the "auto brightness" in Lux doesnt work, and i have to open the dashboard, then the screen will automatically adjust the brightness.

Christiancs1969

Mar 3, 2012
london
hi Cyb3rGlitch,

i've just paid for lux auto brightness. there are question for the setting.

Why do i have to open the dashboard in order to make my light sensors to read my current environment light? each time i go outdoor from my office, i cannot read my display due to the "auto brightness" in Lux doesnt work, and i have to open the dashboard, then the screen will automatically adjust the brightness.

On dash open change. The adjust to dynamically

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

streetrod60

Jul 27, 2014
On dash open change. The adjust to dynamically

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

thank you. yes, i've already done that. And the problem now is, why do i have to open dash if i want to set my brightness to "my brightness level" that i've already set on the profile. E.g: i set the brightness when im in the office room to -20%. But when i enter my office room form outdoor, my brightness level will set not to -20% but to % that maybe categorized as an ideal brightness to the room...lets say maybe 16%, then I have to open dash and after that lux will automatically set my brightness to "my brightness level" (-20%).

Additional info : for battery saving, i add Lux auto brightness to tasker. that this lux will disable when my screen off, and it will enable when i turn on my screen.

marbertshere

Feb 21, 2014
San Jose
Google Pixel 4 XL
thank you. yes, i've already done that. And the problem now is, why do i have to open dash if i want to set my brightness to "my brightness level" that i've already set on the profile. E.g: i set the brightness when im in the office room to -20%. But when i enter my office room form outdoor, my brightness level will set not to -20% but to % that maybe categorized as an ideal brightness to the room...lets say maybe 16%, then I have to open dash and after that lux will automatically set my brightness to "my brightness level" (-20%).

Additional info : for battery saving, i add Lux auto brightness to tasker. that this lux will disable when my screen off, and it will enable when i turn on my screen.

Are you sure you set it on the correct profile (day/night)? If you have linked the brightness level to the lux level there should be no problem.

Have you tried turning off your tasker profile just in case?

Reactions: Christiancs1969

streetrod60

Jul 27, 2014
Are you sure you set it on the correct profile (day/night)? If you have linked the brightness level to the lux level there should be no problem.

Have you tried turning off your tasker profile just in case?

Yes, i set my brightness according to the profile "on day". Later i will try to exclude Lux from my tasker. @Cyb3rGlitch:
1. Related to the Profile, If i set profile to "auto" how does lux determine the Profile to Car Mode or Cinema Mode? because i know that Lux will determine the "day" or "Night" mode based on Time Sunrise/Sunset Time that i set manually.
2. Does it true that the subzero mode doesnt have effect on extending battery life? and it just dimmer the screen?
Means that the battery life during the subzero mode is the same as the 1% of the brightness level?

Last edited:

b8drf

Sep 13, 2009
London
Prevent Lux from being killed ?

I have been running the Lux paid version on my Samsung GS4 GPE for about 6 months and it is definatley the best solution out there !!

One request I have - is there a way to avoid having the main Lux process (which monitors the brightness levels) being killed when the GUI for settings etc is killed?

There have been a few occasions where I quit the GUI and the autobrightness montoring stops and I have to re-start the app manually ...

Maybe an option in the settings for a future release (main process "keep in memory" etc etc...)

Thanks!

Reactions: niphoet

apraetor

Jan 25, 2014
Yes, i set my brightness according to the profile "on day". Later i will try to exclude Lux from my tasker. @Cyb3rGlitch:
1. Related to the Profile, If i set profile to "auto" how does lux determine the Profile to Car Mode or Cinema Mode? because i know that Lux will determine the "day" or "Night" mode based on Time Sunrise/Sunset Time that i set manually.
2. Does it true that the subzero mode doesnt have effect on extending battery life? and it just dimmer the screen?
Means that the battery life during the subzero mode is the same as the 1% of the brightness level?

The subzero mode uses an overlay which darkens the image on the screen, not by dimming the backlight. So yes it's true subzero won't extend battery life much. Some phones do dim the backlight a little based on image luminosity as part of the image saturation controls, but I doubt it'd be enough to make a difference.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

I have been running the Lux paid version on my Samsung GS4 GPE for about 6 months and it is definatley the best solution out there !!

One request I have - is there a way to avoid having the main Lux process (which monitors the brightness levels) being killed when the GUI for settings etc is killed?

There have been a few occasions where I quit the GUI and the autobrightness montoring stops and I have to re-start the app manually ...

Maybe an option in the settings for a future release (main process "keep in memory" etc etc...)

Thanks!

You can trigger those modes using NFC tags or by the presence of a specific Bluetooth device.

P.S. These 2-minute edit delays are ridiculous.

marbertshere

Feb 21, 2014
San Jose
Google Pixel 4 XL

Thanks!

I may be misreading your question but I believe that keeping a notification in the status bar will prevent it from being killed by Android. I keep mine on high priority and have never had that problem.

---------- Post added at 05:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 AM ----------

Is it going to be possible in the future to dim the nav bar in sub-zero/night modes

Bob823

Jun 30, 2013
I recently tested Lux on my new OnePlus. Worked like a charm on my old S3. On the OnePlus I get some weird behavior.
When coming from a bright environment into a darker environment every time I press the refresh button the lux value decreases. At some point it stops but normally it should just go straight to the lowest (right) value. Is this a normal behavior? I never realized this with my S3.

Atharkhan101

Account currently disabled
I recently tested Lux on my new OnePlus. Worked like a charm on my old S3. On the OnePlus I get some weird behavior.
When coming from a bright environment into a darker environment every time I press the refresh button the lux value decreases. At some point it stops but normally it should just go straight to the lowest (right) value. Is this a normal behavior? I never realized this with my S3.

If your light sensor of OnePlus is cm36283 then you need to either enjoy your phone without Lux app or you need to return the phone because I have the same light sensor model from capella different phone and lux is very bad, even developer cant help. To check the light sensor (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dama.hardwareinfo&hl=en)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob823

globaljase

Jun 10, 2014
if you are looking for something that will change the brightness based on the time of day check out an app called "A Timed Brightness" in the play store.

I have a nexus car install and this works amazingly well. You can set a schedule for a time and link it to a brightness level.. if the device is asleep when the scheduled time comes, it remembers when you unlock/unwake your phone and it will adjust. Also has a great simple widget to change % brightness with one touch and it closes itself. Great for car install. Doesn't read the sunset data like Lux, but you can just adjust the schedule a tad as the days get shorter/longer.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
For the guys having to open the Lux Dash in order for it to Automatically change the brightness... I just installed Smart Launcher and after doing so I now have this issue.

When I go back to Nova Launcher Lux works just fine and adjusts the brightness accordingly.

So not sure how to fix something like this... I have Lux in the status bar and set to Periodically in both cases

- Tapatalked from the G3

apraetor

Jan 25, 2014
For the guys having to open the Lux Dash in order for it to Automatically change the brightness... I just installed Smart Launcher and after doing so I now have this issue.

When I go back to Nova Launcher Lux works just fine and adjusts the brightness accordingly.

So not sure how to fix something like this... I have Lux in the status bar and set to Periodically in both cases

- Tapatalked from the G3

I'm using stock 4.4.2 on a Note 3, so.. TouchWiz I guess. I might try the Google Now Launcher (I know it sucks but it's the most useful alternative if I'm gonna lose stylus controls). I rolled back to 1.95 thanks to Atharkhan101 and now all is well.

fabio000

Jul 19, 2010
Mauá
Great app!

I am having a little bug using this app and GMD auto hide softkeys at the same time, the bug only occurs if the auto hide softkeys is enabled
I reported this bug also in GMD thread.

when the auto hide softkey is enabled and lux too, the lux only change the brightness when I "swipe" to show the quick navbar, and if the brightness is in a sub zero number when I swipe to show the quick navbar the brightness increases to a non sub zero number while the quicknavbar shows...

sorry any possible error, english is not my first language

I'm using v1.99 on android 4.1.2
my device is a Motorola D3 XT920 (a motorola dual sim based in MTK 6577T)

cAase

Mar 7, 2011
I have some issues, or I don't know if it's supposed to be like that or not. But if for an example have linked 1% togheter with 0lx when I'm in a dark room. If I go from a bright room to a completely dark one it does reduce the light, but not to 1 percent. I have to press on its widget for it to drop down to my value. This happens in different situations where the light gets too light and I have to press the widget for it to turn back. Is there any reason for this or have I messed something in my settings? I use dynamic. Here's a screen of the value that's supposed to apply in a dark room.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408444064886.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408444064886.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 399

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    unnamed.png

Lux - The Original Android Auto-Brightness App

So I thought I should make an XDA thread for Lux, over a year after releasing it to the Play Store!

FULL or FREE

Issues/Suggestions

If you have any issues or suggestions, please add them to the public issue tracker found here. Be sure to search first, duplicated issues will not work in your favour.

News
    • Update to 1.51 released to Play Store!
      - Profiles. Have different behaviour for day and night!
      - Root plug-ins. Custom kernel with RGB control? Make a plug-in to utilise it!
      - Improved notification
      - Low pass filter
      - Cubic interpolation
      - Polish/French/Russian/German/Italian translation
      - Manual sunrise location input
      - Control Dashboard slider with vol. keys
      - Fade duration/step
      - Reduced battery usage
      - Fixes

• Update to 1.06 released to Play Store!
      - Automatic night mode (uses location for sunset/sunrise).
      - Notification priority
      - Enhanced dashboard and notification UI
      - Enable/disable and refresh Lux via Tasker
      - Bug fixes

• Update to 0.76 released to Play Store!
      - Fixed brightness issues after call

• Update to 0.74 released to Play Store!
      - Fixed max/phone brightness preferences swapped
      - Added ignore 0 lux option
      - Made static phone brightness optional

• Update to 0.70 released to Play Store!
      - New 'ascending' automatic mode for zero jitter!
      - Expandable notification for added control (Android 4.1+)
      - Improved efficiency
      - Install to OS functionality
      - Set min/max brightness bounds
      - Adjustable night mode
      - Improved persistence (Android won't kill it!)
      - Fixed Nexus 7 255 luma bug
      - Fixed Tasker 'on wake' revert bug
      - Compat. mode is now known as 'sleep mode'
      - Night Mode now default Dashboard action (hold for Astro. mode)
      - Misc. tweaks and fixes.

App Description

Lux isn't your ordinary brightness app. It intelligently adjusts the brightness of your display based on the environment you're in. If, for example, you step into a dimly lit room, Lux will automatically lower the brightness of your display to make it not only comfortable to read, but to also preserve battery power.
    Lux provides the option to automatically adjust the backlight at fixed intervals (periodic mode), when a change in environment is detected (dynamic mode), or when the phone wakes from sleep. It's also possible to adjust the backlight manually. Simply disable automatic mode and you can use it like a traditional brightness tool!
    Perhaps the best thing about Lux is that you can teach it how to behave. If the backlight is too bright or dim for your liking, simply open the provided Dashboard, adjust the brightness slider to the level you desire, then hold the link button. Lux will use this new 'link' as a reference in future.

Give it a go! I want you to test Lux for more than the 15 minute refund period offered by Google. I understand that some devices may not have the best quality light sensor, and that you may need more time to play around with settings. If you find that Lux doesn't suit you after the 15 minutes is up, you can request a refund at any time via e-mail - no questions asked.

★FEATURES★
    ■ Custom auto brightness.
    ■ Sub-zero brightness to make reading in the dark significantly less irritating.
    ■ Battery efficient
    ■ Handy brightness widget
    ■ Option to use the camera to read in ambient light.
    ■ Power-user settings such as choice of interpolation, sensor debugging, and linked sample editing.
    ■ Backup to SD.
    ■ 'Ascending' auto mode for phones with inaccurate light sensors.
    ■ Gradual fade for backlight adjustments.
    ■ Astronomer mode adds a red filter to the screen to preserve the eyesight of stargazers.
    ■ Jitter control to prevent constant small changes to the backlight.
    ■ Automatic night mode, to change the colour temperature of the display for comfortable night time viewing.
    ■ Add app specific exceptions via sleep mode
    ■ No ads, or other nuisances.
    ■ Tasker and Locale support!
    Note: Please disable other brightness apps before using Lux. The author is not liable for any issues caused when using this app.

★PERMISSIONS★
    TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOS: Used to read in luma values, if camera input is selected.
    DRAW OVER OTHER APPS: Required for night/astro mode.
    READ PHONE STATE: Required to prevent Lux from interfering with phone controls in Android 4.1.
    MODIFY SYSTEM SETTINGS: Brightness is a system setting, as is toggling the default auto brightness.
    RETRIEVE RUNNING APPS: Required to make the 'sleep list' functionality work, so Lux can disable itself when certain apps are in the foreground.
    COARSE LOCATION: Required to automatically calculate sunrise/sunset times.
    IN APP BILLING: Required for purchasing future device specific root only plug-ins, to enhance functionality.
    Lux Low-Level Plug-ins

Soon Lux will support plug-ins to bypass Android API limitations. These plug-ins serve to replace the overlay system Lux uses to make adjustments for Night/Astronomer modes and brightness in general. The plug-in library is free to use for non-commercial development, and can be found here:

Lux Plug-in Library | Nexus 4 Sample Plug-in Code

How to make a plug-in

There are two approaches to making a plug-in for Lux. The passive and the active method. The former is as easy as providing a set of superuser commands for Lux to interpret and apply. These command correlate to functions such as setting pixel RGB or brightness levels. This is the type of plug-in the Nexus 4 sample linked above takes.
    The active method requires you produce your own code to perform RGB/brightness adjustments. This might include importing a device specific library to do the heavy lifting, and then returning empty superuser commands back to Lux.

Getting Started

Simply import the Lux Plug-in Library source into your IDE as an Android Library Project, and then create a new Android app which extends PassiveDisplay.java.

PassiveDisplay provides hooks into Lux's plug-in framework, which you can use to provide superuser commands for Lux to execute. These commands correlate to functions such as setting RGB values. Take a look at the sample Nexus 4 project to see how it's all done.
    Finally, in your new project's AndroidManifest.xml file, add the following:

Code:
        <activity
            android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.MainActivity"
            android:label="@string/app_name" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />

<category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>

<receiver
            android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.LuxBroadcastReceiver"
            android:exported="true" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.search" />
            </intent-filter>
        </receiver>

<service
            android:name=".[B]MY_PLUGIN[/B]"
            android:exported="true" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="[B]YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME_HERE[/B]" />
            </intent-filter>
        </service>

Be sure to replace YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME_HERE with the name of your plug-in's package, and MY_PLUGIN with your extended PassiveDisplay class.

And that's it! Now you're ready to test!

Enabling Plug-In support within Lux

To enable plug-in support, you must check 'Enable plug-in support' in the Advanced section of Lux settings. Enabling this option forfeits all responsibility of mine for any issues caused while using Lux. Plug-in's can cause very real damage to your device if they're written incorrectly - don't use plug-ins from sources you don't trust!
    Testing your plug-in
    Testing is critical for creating a good plug-in. You are dealing directly with system files, and can easily cause damage if you do not know what you're doing.

DO NOT RELEASE A PLUG-IN WITHOUT TESTING IT ON THE TARGET DEVICE FIRST!

Ensure that the following work with your plug-in installed:
    • Astronomer Mode
    • Night Mode
    • General brightness adjustment
    • Lux readings functional

BE METICULOUS WITH YOUR IMPLEMENTATION OF isSupportedDevice()!
    Modifying system files on the wrong model/kernel may cause irreversible issues!

Licence
    Code:
    Copyright © 2013 Vito Cassisi

You may not use this library except in compliance with the following:
        - It cannot be used for commercial purposes under any circumstances, unless explicit permission is granted in writing from the author.
        - Modifications to this library may not be distributed.

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
    distributed under this licence is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
    WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
    Lux v1.99.8 released (staged rollout)

- Added CF.lumen support (don't need CF.lumen active, just install the driver). Acts as a plug-in for all Android 4.4+ devices. Please buy the pro version to support his work.
    - System autobrightness enabled during calls
    - Option to shake at lockscreen to increase brightness
    - Option to prevent drop in brightness in landscape
    - Enforced persistent notification, added system removal method
    - Fixed dashboard width issue
    - Fixed notification priority resetting at boot
    - Misc. fixes
    Hey everyone. Sorry to hear that people are having issues with the paid version. I'm working on hotfixes at the moment. A lot of these bugs don't appear on my test devices, which is why regressions happen seemingly randomly. I'm working hard on finding a reliable way to reproduce and test these issues to prevent this happening again.
    Apologies to everyone for not being around lately. I've been answering support via email.

A new release is rolling out on the market to 5% of users. Please use the 'Send Feedback' button in Lux preferences if you experience issues. Also, feel free to email me with any questions or concerns.