[Q] Is there a proper Answering Machine app for Android?

Search This thread

muirnin

Feb 17, 2009
My Sony M4 Aqua (android) has exactly this built into the software - it would wait a number of rings, then answer the phone, play an outgoing message, then record the voicemail as a file on the phone, so it is possible to do as a software solution. But I cant' find a standalone app which does it.

tndb

Jul 7, 2008
https://xdaforums.com/xperia-xz/themes/sony-missing-apps-xperia-xz-rooted-t3482858

Thats a thread of only Sony related section and theres more pages there than this thread. What does that mean then?

Its as simple as ppl are simply not aware of it but if theyre shown, then ppl will want this instead of the regular slow and painful phone company voicemail.

Someone please make it happen! Whoevers first and keeps Up with maintaining the software will undoubtely make a nice sum. I bet you can sell this for 5euros (or more) easily in the play store.

Aston Lopes

Dec 21, 2014
Almost There!

Hello,
I'm working on creating an app which will work as an offline voicemail.I believe there's no need of root.I'm focusing for it to work on Oreo 8.1 (sdk27).If it works on Oreo then it may easily work on 5.0+ devices.
Do you'll mind installing 2 more apps as plugins? (as of now I'm not integrating them into mine.But later if possible I may create a single standalone app.)

Sadly due to my exams I may not continue my work for a month. :(
The app's work is almost completed just minor debugging is left.Should be completed in 2-5days.
I will resume my work from 13th June2018.
Cheers:good:

Reactions: Vijaypatildcz2

emandt

Jan 4, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Hello,
I'm working on creating an app which will work as an offline voicemail
It depends about what you mean with "offline voicemail".
Recording a voicecall is always possible (until now) and there are already plenty of App doing that.
Auto-answer a voicecall, recording it and then show all recorded files is not exactly what I call "voicemail" because the caller could not understand what to do when the voicecall is established without any voice instruction.
I would like to play my custom voice message to the caller saying "hello, I'm currently busy but you can leave me a message after the BEEP". In this way the caller is informed about what to do.

I believe there's no need of root.I'm focusing for it to work on Oreo 8.1 (sdk27).If it works on Oreo then it may easily work on 5.0+ devices.
The main problem is that each manufacturer sets Android Audio Policy in a different way.
For example my App is currently working on my testing Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Note 5 (Nougat 7.x) but it's not working on my new Sony Xperia ZX Premium (Oreo 8.0).
Sony seems to have excluded via hardware/software to play the voice message to the caller while there is an active voice call. This is the main problem: each manufacturer can change it's mind/configuration (in the future) and makes the App stop working more.

Aston Lopes

Dec 21, 2014
I would like to play my custom voice message to the caller saying "hello, I'm currently busy but you can leave me a message after the BEEP". In this way the caller is informed about what to do.
I referred your project of LVoicemail just now.Its great:good:.But are you able to stream audio through call? Because as far as I remember... access to audio input was disabled long ago.

I was able to play the message over loudspeaker and my microphone was able to catch it.IDK how to stream it internally.
The main problem is that each manufacturer sets Android Audio Policy in a different way.
.... each manufacturer can change it's mind/configuration (in the future) and makes the App stop working more.
Listening to you, if Android fragmentation is going to give me nightmares then I guess I'll just keep it to myself.:p

SidRose01

When Android took over, I still used to carry my symbian phone because of the availability of an answering machine app on it. In my case, I was reliable on an app called Voice_Inbox_v2.50.sis. It did the job well by picking up the phone & then playing a recording of me whilst muting the background voice. It also recorded the voicemail after the beep.
When Symbian Anne Belle was released, the app was no longer able to mute the background; so callers would hear the recording as well as whatever was happening in background in real time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Calling developers

When I had a symbian phone, things were so easy. I used IVCM (interactive voice call master) to handle incoming calls.
    This app is near to perfection, it can distinguish callers (in address book, in some whitelist, in a blacklist, unknown callers and, last but not least, private numbers)
    For any of those you can define a suitable treatment, invoke the answering machine after xx seconds, play a notification then hang up, forward the call to another number, play the busy tone, and more options.
    Furthermore you can schedule the behaviour, so the phone switches to answering machine at once during the night, let only friends reach you in the evening etc...
    Outgoing messages can be personalised by address group, country (=different language!), friends, private number callers etc..
    It can also record a call (incoming, outgoing or both) without beeps.
    This is a call to the Android developer community. Please build us an app with a similar usability, picking things up where IVCM stopped.
    I will be your first customer and prepared to pay well for it!
    back to symbian

When I had a symbian phone, things were so easy. I used IVCM (interactive voice call master) to handle incoming calls.
    This app is near to perfection, it can distinguish callers (in address book, in some whitelist, in a blacklist, unknown callers and, last but not least, private numbers)
    For any of those you can define a suitable treatment, invoke the answering machine after xx seconds, play a notification then hang up, forward the call to another number, play the busy tone, and more options.
    Furthermore you can schedule the behaviour, so the phone switches to answering machine at once during the night, let only friends reach you in the evening etc...
    Outgoing messages can be personalised by address group, country (=different language!), friends, private number callers etc..
    It can also record a call (incoming, outgoing or both) without beeps.
    This is a call to the Android developer community. Please build us an app with a similar usability, picking things up where IVCM stopped.
    I will be your first customer and prepared to pay well for it!

same here..!!
    i used BEST ANSWERING MACHINE on symbians, for answering my calls during my work time, and i used to listen and respond accordingly to the recorded calls. i seriously think symbians was the smartphone,
    androids not.
    i dont want ease of facebook on the go, i want ease of phone on the go. i want SMARTphone, not the handy pc for accessing rich websites on the go.
    i ended up buying a second hand nokia e72 for managing my life while mm on work,
    i have android ASUS ZENFONE 4.5
    and Apple 5s but nowhere i found reliable answering machine,
    the solution i found is going back to symbians to manage my calls.
    Also there is a ongoing discussion on the same topic on android stackexchange.

Sorry,can insert a link as a newbie open android.stackexchange and search for "Answering Machine on Android"

might be of interest to some one

bram
    Forward incoming calls app is the solution to me

Hello, I've been looking for that too.

I think that an alternative may be to divert the call to a mailbox a voip service or conventional telephone answering service.

This will cost and will require an extra line (or the use of electronics own line desk), but it is what I mean when possible.

For this I will use a call forward app with rules, as QuickCallForward or other, with more filtering rules. Some app with whitelist, blacklist, unknown, scheduler for use in specific times and days.
    Almost There!

Hello,
    I'm working on creating an app which will work as an offline voicemail.I believe there's no need of root.I'm focusing for it to work on Oreo 8.1 (sdk27).If it works on Oreo then it may easily work on 5.0+ devices.
    Do you'll mind installing 2 more apps as plugins? (as of now I'm not integrating them into mine.But later if possible I may create a single standalone app.)

Sadly due to my exams I may not continue my work for a month. :(
    The app's work is almost completed just minor debugging is left.Should be completed in 2-5days.
    I will resume my work from 13th June2018.
    Cheers:good: