Want to upgrade to the note 2 and keep unlimited data (Without adding a line)

Search This thread

npainter7

Apr 21, 2012
Caldwell
Yes, sorry, I did it last week and it still works, though you have to keep at it. Many reps, both in person and online, will tell you it can't be done, so keep calling and asking until you get one who says it can. That's what I did. Bought an iPhone 5 for my wife using my upgrade online, activated it on a dummy line, then downgraded the dummy line back to a non-smartphone and switched the iPhone to my wife's line. We still have unlimited data on both my line and my wife's line. Again, it took me two calls to get a rep who would do all this for me. But, ultimately, it worked. The only downside, of course, is that my wife switched from Android to Apple. :laugh:

I thought the guy who did this to begin with didn't even have a dummy line? Am I wrong? He just did it through best buy.com and then Verizon's site. Or is the dummy line just another way?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

billku

Jun 9, 2011
Whoops, sorry, am subscribed to a number of threads on this subject matter, got them confused. I have no idea if trying this without a dummy line can work on a widespread level.

billku

Jun 9, 2011
Haha its all good. If someone else can confirm this tho. Im doing it....

As I said in my other post, though, as long as you don't use the upgrade on the dummy line, I bet you could use the upgrade from your main line, activate it on a new "dummy line," ostensibly, say, for your mom or something. "Mom" doesn't like the phone, you transfer the new phone over to your line, maintaining your unlimited data, then just cancel the dummy line (since there's no two-year commitment on it, it's just month-to-month). You would maybe have to pay for one or two days service for the dummy line (2/30 of $9.99) which is obviously negligible. Can anyone let me know why this wouldn't work? It's not quite as easy as the OP method, but it doesn't cost any more.

Reactions: npainter7

npainter7

Apr 21, 2012
Caldwell
As I said in my other post, though, as long as you don't use the upgrade on the dummy line, I bet you could use the upgrade from your main line, activate it on a new "dummy line," ostensibly, say, for your mom or something. "Mom" doesn't like the phone, you transfer the new phone over to your line, maintaining your unlimited data, then just cancel the dummy line (since there's no two-year commitment on it, it's just month-to-month). You would maybe have to pay for one or two days service for the dummy line (2/30 of $9.99) which is obviously negligible. Can anyone let me know why this wouldn't work? It's not quite as easy as the OP method, but it doesn't cost any more.

Im reading this and trying to understand it but really cant Lol. So upgrade my line, then transfer it to a dummy line? So basically I can get the Note 2, switch it to a dummy line. But if i switch it to a dummy line, what will happen to the line I'm using? It just stays open until I add a new phone? Just trying to get a clearer understanding is all. You explained it fine, its me lol

billku

Jun 9, 2011
Im reading this and trying to understand it but really cant Lol. So upgrade my line, then transfer it to a dummy line? So basically I can get the Note 2, switch it to a dummy line. But if i switch it to a dummy line, what will happen to the line I'm using? It just stays open until I add a new phone? Just trying to get a clearer understanding is all. You explained it fine, its me lol

You buy a phone online with your main line upgrade. When you receive it, you open up another line (keeping the line you're using still active with your old phone), and activate the new phone you received on that line, NOT the line you're using. You then transfer the new phone from the new ("dummy") line to your main line, then cancel the new line as you no longer need it. Again, not sure if this will work, but it's essentially what I did, the only difference being I already had the dummy line, which I can't cancel until December as I used the upgrade for it last year. It's a little convoluted, I know, but ultimately, with some cajoling, it worked for me.

npainter7

Apr 21, 2012
Caldwell
You buy a phone online with your main line upgrade. When you receive it, you open up another line (keeping the line you're using still active with your old phone), and activate the new phone you received on that line, NOT the line you're using. You then transfer the new phone from the new ("dummy") line to your main line, then cancel the new line as you no longer need it. Again, not sure if this will work, but it's essentially what I did, the only difference being I already had the dummy line, which I can't cancel until December as I used the upgrade for it last year. It's a little convoluted, I know, but ultimately, with some cajoling, it worked for me.

When I buy my new phone through lets says craigslist or bestbuy.com wont it automatically go straight through Verizon and take my unlimited plan? I guess that's what I'm wondering about

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Not craigslist I meant amazonwireless.com

billku

Jun 9, 2011
When I buy my new phone through lets says craigslist or bestbuy.com wont it automatically go straight through Verizon and take my unlimited plan? I guess that's what I'm wondering about

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Not craigslist I meant amazonwireless.com

If you buy it at Best Buy at a discounted price, yes. If you buy it on Craigslist, no, that's just a straight sale and when you put it on your account, you will still have your unlimited data as you will not be entering into a new two-year commitment.

Rootuser3.0

May 18, 2011
Same here, bought mine off craigs for 500 and kept my unlimited data....worth every penny imo.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Bought mine off craigs white and sealed for 600 worth every penny for a user like myself I stream with slingbox alot 40gb a month average

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

npainter7

Apr 21, 2012
Caldwell
See I only have 2 lines. My wife and I. I read up on some things saying that its best to have 3 lines. (One being a dummy line like you have) but if I purchase a new phone through best buy or amazon lets say, for my upgrade. It will go through to Verizon and will change my unlimited. I know your saying just add a dummy line and it might work.... Don't know if I wanna take the risk lol

i3oost

Jan 11, 2013
I thought the guy who did this to begin with didn't even have a dummy line? Am I wrong? He just did it through best buy.com and then Verizon's site. Or is the dummy line just another way?

I did and it worked fine and no stress of having to talk to anyone at the vzw store.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

dansan382

Dec 19, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
my brother and i both have unlimited data, on a plan with our mom who has a dumb phone. we have 1 upgrade ready and then another coming in august. he got the S3 when it came out and im going to grab the S4. whenever we have an upgrade, we are going to transfer the upgrade to her line, upgrade her line. deactivate it, turn her old dumb phone back on, get rid of the tiered data pack and then activate the S4 on my line.

some people mentioned here doing the upgrade on your line but when the phone comes activating the phone on the dumb phone line but i would suggest just transferring the upgrade to the dumb phone. dont get your main line involved at all.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
But can you transfer the upgrade if that line already has one available? My kids lines were already upgradeable. Ordered the phones, activated then, then swapped Sims, went online and put their dinc2's back on.

Guess if I really like anything later this year, I might try to transfer the upgrades or use them to get the kids new phones.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought my note 2 in a VZW store outright. If you use a lot of data the phone will pay for its self.
    Another loophole is to transfer your upgrade to a dumphone (assuming you have a dumbphone on your account), upgrade that line to a GN2, keeping unlimited on your other lines and adding a tiered plan to this line, activate, deactivate and put the flip phone back on which will cancel the tiered data plan again leaving your other lines untouched, move the GN2 to the line of your choice. You may potentially receive a months data on your next bill. Call 611 and explain the situation and you'll be credited back for the month (minus a day) on your next bill.

I've done it twice now. Enjoy!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    For sure I will ll. I have done this before recently and didn't have a problem. I have 5 lines in all for my family and used one for wife's new phone, But if Verizon wants to keep screwing their long time customers (15+ years) with the bogus share everything crap, I will not have any issues screwing back! For sure ill post back tomorrow after.

Looking forward to it, thanks so much for your help!
    have fun with your Galaxy Note 2,....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
    I just laughed out loud. Exactly what I was thinking.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

Well i just checked my account and a new cycle has started and i still have unlimited data.