any completely stable finished roms available?

Search This thread

lasuazo

Aug 10, 2013
Hi,

well that depends.. on what you mean with "finished" ;)

I have tested all (3 months ago) available ROMs for the Glide. IMO the best available ROM is PACman but as said it depends. I used pac_i927-milestone.1.RC1.4.zip for a long time (months) without having any issues besides Bluetooth Headset which is a general problem in JB and higher version). I have tried other PACMan ROM versions as well but the above one was the best of stability and battery life (in my case).

So it depends what features you really need or are a must-have for you. If you do not have bluetooth headsets I would recommend the above otherwise .. well I would recommend sediROM ;)

Regards
xdajog

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Haven't done that before but would be rooted ICS stock also ok for you?

If so:
--> search for thread ID 1994902 or search for: [ROM] Stock UCLJ3 Rooted, Deodexed, Zipaligned
(sorry not allowed to post links..)

Regards
xdajog

Well so far so good. Tried that one the stock UCLJ3 Rooted, Deodexed, Zipaligned but it would give me some error with Google play services. So just went fully stock via odin, rooted, uninstalled some bloat and voila, great. Complaints... probably the high RAM usage. What is this sediROM you are talking about? Never seen it in our Glide development thread. :confused:

lasuazo

Aug 10, 2013
Currently trying to upload it ;)

GO GO GO GO GO! You got me really lookin forward for it man! Why u post it so soon!? LOL sorry, I just love trying out new ROMS especially if it is from ICS which in my opinion is by far the most stable out there :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi, just wondering if there are any roms available that are completely stable and finished for this phone?
    if not, (as i have not found any), is the original stock rom (rojers) available to download anymore?
    thanks guys..

For what it's worth, I recently had to reflash and decided to use dman325's stock UCLJ3. (He has two versions, stock and one with the aosp lockscreen. If you decide to use either, use the stock one. dman325 had to resign the aosp one with a test signing key that, recently, got invalidated or declined and it prevents Google Play from updating past 3.7.15 and Google Play Services wont install at all because of a shared_uid fault due to certificate conflict, etc.)

I got frustrated with the amount of bloat in an otherwise vendor fun-packed rom, so I went in and hacked out lots of crap. Largely relying on either "what is safe to get rid of" lists for similar samsung phones and my own poking around/guestimation using dex2jar and jd-gui. I really, honestly don't understand what InputEventApp.apk was meant to do. Seriously. But, getting rid of it reduced the logcat spam tremendously. Also, the wsslcm* apks are somewhat frightening in appearance.

I've gone a few steps further, I modified android.policy.jar smali to prevent the emergency dial option from showing up on the lock screen - I accidentally pocket dialed 911 a year ago and am not about to do that again. I also modified the kernel ramdisk image to set ro.debuggable=1 and ro.secure=0. I tried, while I was at it, to replace /dev/random with /dev/urandom, but I'll have to do some experimenting.

I've added a few static binaries for proper gnu utilities. bash, ls, grep, sort, du, etc. It surprises me that a functional shell environment doesn't get more attention on phones with keyboards.

So, that's my $0.02. Try the stock UCLJ3 and fiddle with it a bit. Good luck.
    Welll here are some tip which have helped me

i wish i could agree with you.. im running kitkat crdroid, and like every rom i have flashed over the years, has plenty of bugs that make it very annoying as a daily rom. phone switching off twice a day, icons/widgets dissapearing after rebooting, becomes laggy after a week or so of usig the rom, laggy browsing on all browsers, trebucket crashing regurly etc etc, thats on top of the bugs you list.. the only roms that are stable are completely finished official cm or miui roms (which there are none for this fone..). the stock rom is the only one that has not given me trouble. with the greatest respect to those that put their time i to make these roms, im sure people who flash them make them out to be more stable than they really are unfortunatelly.

i .. umm.. well i agree that as of now they have issues but they will get better .. ours is an old device... so i guess we should tread slowly . which is exactly what the developers are doing .. .
    and i agree on the ram hungry part but there are ways for that too . .
    funny i have been messaging people to help me post this stuff through them . . but well thats the prob with being a junior member .
    My personal tested suggestions for omni rom which have really incremented to the performace some of which are :
    - using one of the lightest launchers as i find trebuchet and even google launcher RAM hungry is 'Lightning Launcher' the bloody app itself is in BYTES!!
    -also i use link2sd with ext4 that helps in storage and also use sd maid for regular clean up.
    -also i have been testing memory swapping using linux swap partition on sd card (class 10 ) and yeah i know it degrades sd card but oh well like Glados testing testing testing
    -i have also switch off startup at boot for certain apps

and i apologize for posting what maybe well known tricks or improvs but i really dont know where else to post these (still have the ten post ban from posting :) )
    and if these dont help then sorry to waste your time . .

PS anyone think an F2FS file system like for the nexus7 would\might help ?

tl;dr use the given tips maybe they might help . . and with custom roms i guess you have to spend time to keep them running well .
    thanks etherfish, if i continue to have probs i may well do that, i was thinking about going back to stock. dont think i have the confidence to fiddle like you have though as im more of a windows man than linux, but thanks for the great advice ;)

Well, you learn by doing, I believe. Also, I have a classy - for a flip phone - Motorola Razr2 v8 kicking around I can always put my SIM into if I've managed to hose my captivate glide. Also, I'm replying because I can't post in the rom development forum until I have 10 posts. Hurray for well founded, but nonetheless arbitrary restrictions. So, a number of things have piqued my curiosity.

So, first of all, this surprised me in the logs:

Code:
    I/Launcher( 2263): onCreate():  product model family:U1 product model : GT-I9221
    I'd always wondered why I had an SGH-I927 when other phones, like the remarkably similar Galaxy R, are GT-I9103. Is/was GT-I9221 an internal reference?

Also, there are other inconsistencies, for example:
    Code:
    D/RILJ    (  426): [1718]> REQUEST_GET_NEIGHBORING_CELL_IDS
    D/RILJ    (  426): [1718]< REQUEST_GET_NEIGHBORING_CELL_IDS error: com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: REQUEST_NOT_SUPPORTED

If you jump into the debug/field test menu system, (dial *#*#197328640#*#* ) you can bring up the list of neighboring cells in both GSM and WCDMA modes... So, why is the request marked not supported? Furthermore, why didn't samsung disable the request in the first place if they went to the trouble of disabling it from working. I imagine this has a reason, but I doubt it's a terribly great one.

And the FM receiver? I do believe our broadcom BCM4329 is a bluetooth+wifi_in_an_sdcard (well, SDIO really, but still, not pci-e and not usb.) and has an FM receiver built in, but it's omitted and hidden?
    Code:
    W/AudioPolicyManager(  112): FM radio recording off

Oh, the conspiracy theories. And then there's the weird lines you discover if you dump the string identifiers from /system/bin/drexe!

For example, these lines are all sequential:

Code:
    broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE android_secret_code://767*3855
    InvokeOemRequestHookRaw broadcast factorst OK
    InvokeOemRequestHookRaw factorst fail %d
    /system/.configure.txt

(what's with /system/.configure.txt???)

Do not type 767*3855 into your phone. It's the factory wipe code or possibly part of it. I do believe drexe is the DataRouter you often see spamming the logs with:

Code:
    E/DataRouter(  107): usb connection is true 
    E/DataRouter(  107): DSR is ON. Don't send DTR ON.

And we find these strings in drexe:

Code:
    __initialize_usb_ipc
    /data/.usb_stream
    usb connection is true 
    InvokeOemRequestHookRaw usbstatus true is success

oh, and:

Code:
    pipe failed (%s)
    fork failed (%s)
    child pid = %d.
    execute sh.
    system/bin/sh
    execl fail %d

What do you think? Why does drexe seem to have code to support and start a shell? Well, if nothing else, thank you for reading.

P.S. I don't suspect anything the least bit conspiracy like, malicious, or devious. I've worked for some huge companies; i don't think it'd be likely.