[STICKY] ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!! - Simple question, simple answer - FAQ thread

Search This thread

damianosr3

Jul 2, 2017
Hi there, I have a problem. When playing movies with SW decoder (sound) turned on, the sound is trimmed. What to do?

Wysłane z mojego C NOTE przy użyciu Tapatalka

Exilemancer

Jul 5, 2010
Remaining time indicator

Will it be developed an option in the next versions for customizing the indicators for remaining time, battery and hour to not be cut by the rounded angles of Samsung Galaxy S8's screen? They only should offset a little while.

handers1234

May 26, 2016
Ummm,is it better to use YUV(am i wrong that yuv is better quality than other option?)?
And what is "speedup trick"?Should use it cos i don't see any significant different?
Sorry for my bad English.

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
Ummm,is it better to use YUV(am i wrong that yuv is better quality than other option?)?
And what is "speedup trick"?Should use it cos i don't see any significant different?
Sorry for my bad English.
Regarding Speedup Trick kindly read our FAQ here. It's a workaround for reducing the SW lag on devices with slower processors. It's generally used automatically. The option exists to force use despite auto detection.

YUV can provide better performance. But, it also can cause some compatibility issues with certain videos and devices. That's why it's not used as default.

handers1234

May 26, 2016
Regarding Speedup Trick kindly read our FAQ here. It's a workaround for reducing the SW lag on devices with slower processors. It's generally used automatically. The option exists to force use despite auto detection.

YUV can provide better performance. But, it also can cause some compatibility issues with certain videos and devices. That's why it's not used as default.
Ah thanks for the explanation as for YUV yeah in some videos that i played there're one or two that play quite choppy with YUV selected and as for the speedup trick,tried it in the videos that play choppy with YUV but no improvement whatsoever so i guess i will keep it off.

peterlee928

Oct 16, 2014
Will be improved in the next update. MX Player will automatically reduce the volume, when there is a announcement from the Maps.
curious if the fix outline above is included in the latest beta release?

also in the new beta release, the resume from last left off function does not work.

thanks

EDIT
one other issue - on my car bluetooth, the song info (artist, title, etc) do not show on the car screen... but it does with other players. any chance this also gets fixed with the next update?

Last edited:

Bubidu

Jul 15, 2017
Can't ignore subtitle font

I'm trying to use default subtitles and font with an MP4 that comes with its own subtitles and styling, but "Ignore font specified in SSA subtitles" and "Ignore broken fonts..." do nothing. :confused: The font specified by the MP4 is horribly jagged and yellow. And yes, they're optional subtitles, disableable.

Last edited:

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
I'm trying to use default subtitles and font with an MP4 that comes with its own subtitles and styling, but "Ignore font specified in SSA subtitles" and "Ignore broken fonts..." do nothing. :confused: The font specified by the MP4 is horribly jagged and yellow. And yes, they're optional subtitles, disableable.

can you share the content?

Ignore fonts specified in SSA is applicable only to SSA or ASS subtitles. If your video has some other subtitle formats, it may still use the styles mentioned in the sub.

peterlee928

Oct 16, 2014

also in the new beta release, the resume from last left off function does not work.

thanks

EDIT
one other issue - on my car bluetooth, the song info (artist, title, etc) do not show on the car screen... but it does with other players. any chance this also gets fixed with the next update?
hello... just wanted to see if there are any thoughts to the questions above? much thanks in advance.

Bubidu

Jul 15, 2017
can you share the content?

Ignore fonts specified in SSA is applicable only to SSA or ASS subtitles. If your video has some other subtitle formats, it may still use the styles mentioned in the sub.

It seems that's the problem. I checked Media Information with VLC and it says the subtitles are "DVD Subtitles (spu)". I researched SPU and it seems it's not in text but in bitmap format. That makes it more difficult, it seems.

peterlee928

Oct 16, 2014
new beta version does not properly resume playback from where it left off.

also, the new beta version shuts down when chrome is hibernated with greenify. this is not an issue with the pro version.

also, for those that purchased the pro version

EDIT

thanks

EDIT

not sure if the 2 issues outlined above were fixed in the recent beta release. if so, just want to report that they are both not working.

EDIT 2

the first 3 items at the top are in reference to mx player beta, NOT mx player pro beta. all 3 are non-issues in mx player pro beta.

Last edited:

D4ND310

new beta version does not properly resume playback from where it left off.

also, the new beta version shuts down when chrome is hibernated with greenify. this is not an issue with the pro version.

also, for those that purchased the pro version, it would be nice to have the ads removed. or have the beta as the pro version. would seem to make sense that the player should be ad-free for those that purchased the pro version.

thanks for all the great work.

My recently updated beta version does resume playback just fine, my last played and currently played files are marked and working correctly from inside every folder, as expected. It is also the ad-free pro version, which was directly available through my Play Store account. Are you using a different install/update method than the regular Play Store?
Greenify has also not been a problem but, then again, I don't use Chrome.

Reactions: peterlee928

peterlee928

Oct 16, 2014
My recently updated beta version does resume playback just fine, my last played and currently played files are marked and working correctly from inside every folder, as expected. It is also the ad-free pro version, which was directly available through my Play Store account. Are you using a different install/update method than the regular Play Store?
Greenify has also not been a problem but, then again, I don't use Chrome.
my beta version is the regular, not pro. there was no pro beta version available. installed through google play store.

EDIT

just saw the pro beta version. thanks for highlighting that.

Last edited:

Spodi2290

Oct 20, 2013
Is or will there be support for 4k displays, like xperia zx premium? The player shows ~50% scaling when playing 4k video in fullscreen, wich should not be the case for a 4k display

D

drshtmstry

Hi. I have 3 questions.

1) Since last few versions there is a new alternative hw+ decoder mode available in settings. It is supposed to be default in Android 7 & some HTC devices. Now my phone runs Android 6, so which one should I use ? (Normal HW+ or Alternative HW+). What is the technical difference between both & which one is better?

2) I was trying to play a video with embedded SSA (SubStation Alpha) subtitles. But the subtitle timing is broken, some lines appear early, some late & some lines don't appear at all. I tried same with VLC and the subtitle timing was perfect (for same file). So does anyone else have this problem? Does developer know about it?

3) VLC already has arm8 optimized version (as of August 2016). But even its 1 year after MX still doesn't have arm8 builds. Any progress? Or abandoned?

Last edited:

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
Hi. I have 3 questions.

1) Since last few versions there is a new alternative hw+ decoder mode available in settings. It is supposed to be default in Android 7 & some HTC devices. Now my phone runs Android 6, so which one should I use ? (Normal HW+ or Alternative HW+). What is the technical difference between both & which one is better?

2) I was trying to play a video with embedded SSA (SubStation Alpha) subtitles. But the subtitle timing is broken, some lines appear early, some late & some lines don't appear at all. I tried same with VLC and the subtitle timing was perfect (for same file). So does anyone else have this problem? Does developer know about it?

3) VLC already has arm8 optimized version (as of August 2016). But even its 1 year after MX still doesn't have arm8 builds. Any progress? Or abandoned?

1. in 1.8.x Alternative HW+ decoder is used to represent new HW+decoder engine. It's the default HW+ engine in 1.9.x. if you enable alternate HW+ decoder, it will use the old method of HW+ decoder. Note: In HTC & Cyanogen based devices new engine is default even in 1.8.x as the previous method causes some issues.

2. Can you enable improve SSA rendering on Settings » Subtitles » Text & check again

3. ARMv8 devices are fully compatible to MX Player neon instructions. ARMv8 native build doesn't provide much advantages in terms of media capabilities. MX Player (Neon) already works much better than the VLC's ARMv8 optimized builds. Anyhow, we have some plans for the native ARMv8 build. But, it may need a lot of works and more testing. So, we can't provide any timeline now.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Is or will there be support for 4k displays, like xperia zx premium? The player shows ~50% scaling when playing 4k video in fullscreen, wich should not be the case for a 4k display

Hi,
Probably you might have changed the zoom manually. Just press the bottom right button & set it to fit to screen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Simple question, simple answer - FAQ thread

Exactly as it sounds. Ask a simple question, and get a simple answer. This thread is intended for questions probably not long enough to warrant their own thread, and/or you are not sure if a thread/answer already exists.

Please be sure to read the Welcome Thread, the FAQ page, and search the existing forums first, prior to asking your question.
    I have just installed latest free version from Play Market.
    So many ads! In file list between file names, over video on pause. And at the bottom of screen, as before. Whats going on?
    @volpo222 @CDB-Man @USBhost

It's already reported in another thread.

This issue is a consequence of android bug that exists on 6.0. This is reproducible only when using native activity chooser for any streaming video (or a remote file). Once you set any app as default, other apps (including Stock one, Google Photos, MX, VLC, BSPlayer) will vanish from activity chooser (except some activities like ES media Player) after clearing the defaults. It was fixed on many nexus devices by Google in 6.0.1. I am not sure whether Nexus 9 is also patched or not.

Temporary solutions:
    1. Just install any new video player (or intent intercept) that you have never installed. Then open a remote video like smb or it may be any other streaming locations. Now you can see all misssing items.

2. Alternatively you must find the application which was set as default earlier. It's one of the application currently listed. If are unsure, uninstall one by one & check.

You can use any one solution from above. Once you got the list back, you can uninstall any new app you have installed or install the application which was set as default earlier.

Anyway Good News is that, I have already found the workaround & conveyed to the developer as well. It's internally fixed. Next version will bring the workaround for this Android Bug & some more tweakings also done to improve file association.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using XDA Labs
    Hi Guys,
    In Note 4's stock video player when playing a movie and then screen mirrored to a smart tv the player/screen would turn black to save on battery. Is there a way to do that on MX Player?
    Thanks!
    The stock player probably casts video. MX has no casting feature at the moment, see the pinned topic: http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/sticky-mx-player-chromecast-t2725253
    Hello,

Been using a Mediatek MT6592 device but switched to the Galaxy Note5. I missed the ClearMotion feature of the Mediatek processor, I used it with the HW decoder in MX Player. I have the following questions:

•For best picture quality, what should I choose? RGB 16-bit, RGB 32-bit, or YUV?
    •Is there an option to enable motion interpolation with MX Player? Or are there plans to include this feature? The MT6592 struggles with motion interpolation, but the Exynos 7420 can probably handle it
    •For best battery life, should I choose HW+ over HW?

Thanks.
    YUV if your device can handle it. I don't think the ffmpeg package includes motion interpolation (MX uses ffmpeg as a base). HW+ and HW should both use approximately the same amount of power.

What's the difference between sw, hw, hw+ decoder. I'm on a nexus 4 usually playing 720p videos. Is there one that would be better? Also when I play 1080p, sw has better quality that hw. Is there a reason for that?
    HW+ > HW > SW in that order, use HW+ where available. HW and HW+ use less power.
    joedonmurpy50 said:
    Hello my friends I have used mx player on all my phones why doesn't it play all formats of videos

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

You're going to have to provide more details than that.