[NIGHTLY][ROM][4.4] CyanogenMod 11 for Samsung Galaxy S

Search This thread

fatino

Oct 4, 2010
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as the bug report since InCallUI is no longer its own package, but a part of Dialer (for reason only unknown to Googlers since the commit message references an internal bug number.)

For testing, I've compiled and attached a version of Dialer with the persistent flag, but it's not a very good idea because it will keep the Dialer (with call logs, etc.) always in the memory. Push it to /system/priv-app/ and reboot.

Okay so. I tested everything and I came into conclusion. com.android.service.incallui is definitly responsible for the delay. First boot first call 3 seconds delay(it looks like app is loading content for the first time) after the call process com.android.incallui stays running. Second call while this process running, almost no delay (looks like app is loading from ram). Process is still running, after opening some other programms it gets killed. Third call 3 seconds delay again. So it is definitly com.android.incallui not staying in ram problem. Loading times depend on what you do.
I tried your new Dialer.apk. Sure it keeps my dialer in memory but process com.android.incallui doesnt.
I hope you can find another way to keep this process in memory.

knuckles1978

Aug 6, 2012
Umm, this is weird, but turning on bluetooth really makes the animation of swiping notifications faster. And it's not a placebo, I can confirm this.

Confirmed.. I even removed the Bluetooth tile from my quick settings, and still having Bluetooth switched on makes the animation of the notification shade much nicer than if Bluetooth is switched off.

If you try just holding onto the notification shade and keep moving your finger up and down the full height of the screen at a reasonable speed, you will be able to see that with Bluetooth switched on it follows your finger much better. Switch Bluetooth off and try the same thing, and you'll see the notification starting to lag behind your finger the faster you go. Quite a big difference.

Very strange indeed...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: octolith

jugster

Aug 4, 2010
lzo optimizations already included?

Ah, but of course.

Is everyone aware that there has been some optimizations done on lzo fairly recently. I'm not sure how to describe it best, but here are the merges in linux-next:
lzo optimizations
unaligned access

The comment below is what is interesting, some pretty nice speedups is seen on a variety of platforms including arm.
I could not find anymention of this on our github repo (cm11) which I assume is the branch we are using. It could just be me not finding the commits though, but if we are not actually using those lzo updates, shouldn't we?

I mean, if zram is used by default, it would make sense for it to be used as efficiently as possible.
I don't know the policies that are used with regards to what is possible to use, but imho, these patches make sense.

Please let me know where my argument is invalid, and I'll shut up! =)

"Summary:
========

Update the Linux kernel LZO compression and decompression code to the
current upstream version which features significant performance
improvements on modern machines.

Some *synthetic* benchmarks:
============================

x86_64 (Sandy Bridge), gcc-4.6 -O3, Silesia test corpus, 256 kB block-size:

compression speed decompression speed

LZO-2005 : 150 MB/sec 468 MB/sec
LZO-2012 : 434 MB/sec 1210 MB/sec

i386 (Sandy Bridge), gcc-4.6 -O3, Silesia test corpus, 256 kB block-size:

LZO-2005 : 143 MB/sec 409 MB/sec
LZO-2012 : 372 MB/sec 1121 MB/sec

armv7 (Cortex-A9), Linaro gcc-4.6 -O3, Silesia test corpus, 256 kB block-size:

LZO-2005 : 27 MB/sec 84 MB/sec
LZO-2012 : 44 MB/sec 117 MB/sec
**LZO-2013-UA : 47 MB/sec 167 MB/sec

Legend:

LZO-2005 : LZO version in current 3.8 kernel (which is based on
the LZO 2.02 release from 2005)
LZO-2012 : updated LZO version available in linux-next
**LZO-2013-UA : updated LZO version available in linux-next plus experimental
ARM Unaligned Access patch. This needs approval
from some ARM maintainer ist NOT YET INCLUDED."

Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> acks it and says:
"There's a new LZ4 on the block which is even faster than the sped-up
LZO, but various filesystems and things use LZO"

* tag 'lzo-update-signature-20130226' of git://github.com/markus-oberhumer/linux:
crypto: testmgr - update LZO compression test vectors
lib/lzo: Update LZO compression to current upstream version
lib/lzo: Rename lzo1x_decompress.c to lzo1x_decompress_safe.c"

If anyone bothered to read this entire thing down to here, I'll make an addendum. Lz4 is even faster than lzo, but compresses a bit worse, as mentioned in the very end of the comments. If I wanted my zram to be as fast as possible, that is what I would implement. But seeing as lz4 is recently new, maybe that is left as an exercise to custom kernels until it is more proven. I know a few already do.

pawitp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2010
Bangkok
Okay so. I tested everything and I came into conclusion. com.android.service.incallui is definitly responsible for the delay. First boot first call 3 seconds delay(it looks like app is loading content for the first time) after the call process com.android.incallui stays running. Second call while this process running, almost no delay (looks like app is loading from ram). Process is still running, after opening some other programms it gets killed. Third call 3 seconds delay again. So it is definitly com.android.incallui not staying in ram problem. Loading times depend on what you do.
I tried your new Dialer.apk. Sure it keeps my dialer in memory but process com.android.incallui doesnt.
I hope you can find another way to keep this process in memory.

Strange, can you get me the result of
  • "adb shell dumpsys activity processes" while there is an incoming call
  • logcat after the process is killed by the system

pawitp

Oct 30, 2010
Bangkok
Ah, but of course.

Is everyone aware that there has been some optimizations done on lzo fairly recently. I'm not sure how to describe it best, but here are the merges in linux-next:
lzo optimizations
unaligned access

Thanks. I'll find out how to benchmark it.

EDIT: There's no way to benchmark it without writing quite a bit of code and I'm lazy, so let's just merge it. It's from AOSP anyway.

Last edited:

-Tiz-

Jul 5, 2010
I would be grateful if someone could let me know if the encryption feature has already been implemented. Reason:

I installed CM11-based EHNDROIX and then tried to encrypt my phone but it did not work: the phone does not reboot and encryption does not really start. For the record, I uninstalled LBE Security and Xposed Framework because LBE may prevent a phone from being encrypted. I also installed CM 11 Milestone 2 over EHNDROIX and then tried to encrypt the phone again. Another failure.

Maybe someone could make a Nandroid backup and then try to encrypt his/her phone.

pawitp

Oct 30, 2010
Bangkok
I would be grateful if someone could let me know if the encryption feature has already been implemented. Reason:

I installed CM11-based EHNDROIX and then tried to encrypt my phone but it did not work: the phone does not reboot and encryption does not really start. For the record, I uninstalled LBE Security and Xposed Framework because LBE may prevent a phone from being encrypted. I also installed CM 11 Milestone 2 over EHNDROIX and then tried to encrypt the phone again. Another failure.

Maybe someone could make a Nandroid backup and then try to encrypt his/her phone.

Should be fixed in the 20140108 nightly.

fatino

Oct 4, 2010
The problem would be how to implement it properly to get it merged, so don't expect the fix to be merged soon.
Yep. Thats exactly what I thought :) It looks like an ugly trick, but it does the work for now at least. I'm happy to do some more testing for you if you come up with something. Its kinda satisfing :) Feels good to be helpful.

Reactions: didhiy and nchc

jeromeb4u

Apr 18, 2012
Updates?

Do I have to download each and every nightly from CM website or is there any way I can do that directly from the ROM

1Ishara

Do I have to download each and every nightly from CM website or is there any way I can do that directly from the ROM

There is update rom option in settings.. And also you can use cyan delta app from play store.. It will help u to download update part of the rom so u dont need to download big fils daily.. Most of time dalta file size is 16 mb to 30 mb check it:cool:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 4.4 (KitKat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What are Nightly builds? Auto compiled builds of the latest CyanogenMod source from github. This version change each night and aren't officialy supported. If you find bugs/issues you can/must discuss here (do not submit nightlies bug on CyanogenMod issue tracker).

Downloads

Latest build: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=galaxysmtd
    Google Apps: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Gapps

Installation

- First time flashing CM11 to your Galaxy S (or coming from another ROM)?
    (Note: a more detailed instruction for first-time install is available on CM Wiki: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_galaxysmtd)
    1. If you're on a ROM prior to 2.3, upgrade to 2.3 is recommended.
    2. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery (e.g. Semaphore_2.7.4.tar from http://www.semaphore.gr/downloads).
    3. Reboot into Recovery using 3-button-combo
    4. Do a Nandroid backup!
    5. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    6. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    7. Optionally install the Google Addon
    - Upgrading from CM7/CM9?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    2. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    3. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    4. Optionally install the Google Addon
    - Upgrading from CM10/10.1?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    2. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    3. You will finally see a "set_metadata_recursive" status 7 error. That is normal.
    4. Reboot back into recovery (the reboot is required)
    5. Install the ROM again from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    6. Optionally restore /data from Nandroid Backup (the update will wipe your /data)
    7. Optionally install the Google Addon
    - Upgrading from CM10.2?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    3. Optionally install the Google Addon
    - Upgrading from another build of CM11?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    Warning: You may get set_metadata_recursive related-errors during install if you're using a custom kernel without SELinux support. In that case, revert to the stock kernel before continuing or follow the instruction for upgrading from CM10.1.
    Note: The partition layout of CM11 is the same as CM10.2.

Known Issues
    Please do not report bugs if it is already listen in the list of known issues
    • Some CyanogenMod features a missing - please do not file bug reports for those.
    • Cannot set value via custom brightness "Edit" menu
    • No account selected for Backup (gapps problem?)

Reporting Bugs

You are allowed to report bugs only in this thread. Before reporting a bug, please make sure you are running as stock as possible. This means no custom kernel, no custom framework modification, etc. If you are using any of the above modifications, please flash the rom again to get rid of the modifications before reporting.

REPORT BUGS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

• Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. The following is a useful format to follow. Note: If you can provide the latest night/build that the bug didn't exist, it would greatly help in tracking down what caused it.

Code:
    What is your--
    Phone model:
    Radio (baseband):
    CM version:
    CM Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
     restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    CMSettings/Performance settings (other than stock):
    ART Runtime:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

FAQ
    Why is there no transparent status bar/lockscreen widget/"OK Google"?
    Those features have been disabled by Google for low RAM device in order to save RAM. You can try enabling it by removing "ro.config.low_ram=true" from /system/build.prop, however, it is not an officially supported setup.

Does this ROM support FM radio?
    I've checked and the new FM API in CM is not really compatible with our device without heavy modification. Applications using the new API expect to be able to read the FM input as it if were another stream, but FM on our device only does pass-through from FM receiver to speaker/headset, which causes certain functionalities to not work such as volume control. Maybe one can modify the audio routing table in the kernel to have it behave like the API expected, but I'm not really interested in investing time to do that.

TL;DR: No built-in FM radio except if someone else does it and submits a patch.

Why aren't configurations with more than 368 MB used?
    Kernels with more than 368 MB have to sacrifice high-bitrate HD playback ability. The current memory configuration has been designed for maximum compatibility.

Wi-Fi AP does not work after restoring /data with CWM
    CWM does not handle SELinux very well yet. Run this in a root shell to clear all wifi data and reboot.

Code:
    rm -rf /data/misc/wifi

Changelog
    A rough changelog is available here:
    http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#/galaxysmtd/next or http://www.cmxlog.com/11/galaxysmtd/

For previous unofficial releases, see here

The CyanogenMod team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!
    Need more RAM?

Need more RAM?

Using CMA, memory usually reserved for hardware (camera, video encoding/decoding, jpeg encoding) can be freed for use by applications when they are not in-use. All features, including 720p recording, high-rate video decoding, etc. will still work as before.

This is a WIP. No ETA. There are still a lot of problems with it and it might not be released at all if I don't have time to fix all the issues. Please don't ask to test either, if I need testers, I'd post it in this thread.
    • Added TV Out in Settings -> Display -> Advanced Settings
    • Prevent back button from being pressed in incoming call screen
    • Fixed Browser FC in Advanced -> Website settings
    • Fixed Quick Access Ribbon gone when switching from Quick Settings
    • Fixed 2G/3G Quick Settings toggle
    • Fixed stuttering FLAC music playback
    About RAM mode

Due to an oversight, this build wasn't shipped with low RAM mode enabled. If anyone wants to try, you can add "ro.config.low_ram=true" to your /system/build.prop.

This will disable several features such as translucent status bar, lock screen widgets.

Future builds will ship with this option enabled. (This is actually mandated by the Android CTS. Those that prefer the effects over low memory usage must manually remove the config from build.prop. Before anyone asks, it won't be configurable from Settings.)
    20131118 uploaded.

This should provide better performance if you use zRAM (Settings -> Performance -> Memory Management). Please try the various settings and report back how it affects your experience.