Motorola RAZR screen issues w/ pic

Search This thread
SAME ISSUE, SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 SKYROCKET

SAME AND MORE ISSUES WITH THE GALAXY NEXUS

I dont post this to justify any of your concerns nor i am paid by motorola ! Samsung skyrocket and possibly more SAMOLED phones are suffering from the same issue as well. I wish it wasn't like that happened with the RAZR but it looks like it's just the way the tech is. For any of you who can't live with this, it would be wiser to replace their RAZR's with another phone or another Razr. My RAZR's screen have those black spotches,too but they're not near any level as the photos in the first post, i dont have any lines but little splotches and i can see them when i look at the same light conditions.

Last edited:

kholk

Retired Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Torino
All the AMOLED displays are suffering of this and all the RAZRs have got the same problem due to the material used in building its AMOLED screen.

The right question to do is...
....It's noticeable if you're in a dark room and you see your black display for 4-5 seconds, but in the real life use of these devices, are you really noticing that?

I'm not. So, nothing is absolutely perfect, the human technology has limits, too.

Reactions: deffjeff

Latoc

Feb 17, 2010
Every phone that uses Super Amoled has this: Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note, RAZR, etc...

They all come out of the factory with those blotches.

If you don't want them, get a phone with a LCD screen, or wait for next gen Amoled screens.

Samsung just opened two Amoled factories in China, they are only beginning to master Super Amoled HD screen production, and slowly ramping up production cadence.

Kind of experimental as of today...

Last edited:

robstunner

May 13, 2010
Chicagoland
Every phone that uses Super Amoled has this: Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note, RAZR, etc...

They all come out of the factory with those blotches.

If you don't want them, get a phone with a LCD screen, or wait for next gen Amoled screens.

Samsung just opened two Amoled factories in China, they are only beginning to master Super Amoled HD screen production, and slowly ramping up production cadence.

Kind of experimental as of today...

No to continue to beat a dead horse, but non of my previous SAMOLED phones had these issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Here's a photo of Galaxy Nexus Screen under same conditions ;

attachment.php

And one from Samsung Galaxy note under same conditions ;

attachment.php

Another one from Samsung Galaxy Note ;

striche.jpg

Mind you, at least our black splotches are visible in only one condition unlike others. :D

ianford10

May 22, 2010
Here's a photo of Galaxy Nexus Screen under same conditions ;

attachment.php

And one from Samsung Galaxy note under same conditions ;

attachment.php

Another one from Samsung Galaxy Note ;

striche.jpg

Mind you, at least our black splotches are visible in only one condition unlike others. :D

Not noticed it on the Galaxy Nexus yet so that is interesting to take note of.

Well tomorrow I'm going to order another RAZR and be done with it, third time lucky and if not then I will learn to live with blotches, I just love the RAZR and I think that's enough to get me through:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Newbieshwa

Oct 16, 2011
Auckland
Not noticed it on the Galaxy Nexus yet so that is interesting to take note of.

Well tomorrow I'm going to order another RAZR and be done with it, third time lucky and if not then I will learn to live with blotches, I just love the RAZR and I think that's enough to get me through:)

Well said!

I just love the RAZR and I think that's enough to get me through:)

And there ya go, I said it somewhere on this forum but this is the start to really enjoying your phone. There will always be issues with everything, as soon as we all stop nit picking the sooner we learn to really enjoy what we have. This phone kicks butt, best phone ever IMO. There will be many phones in the near future that beat it spec wise but the RAZR will always be the RAZR, something different, something special.

nkd

Aug 12, 2010
Yes when I turned on the phone, few spots had it and had to fricking put it under my blanket to even notice. I don't use my phone in a dark room and I did last night and I never noticed it other than the boot screen. I don't have too many spots but they were there.

Never ever, ever noticed it while using it. Stop taking shots with your super high end cameras that our eyes cant even see. I love this scree and something I don't notice, or doesn't show up when I am using the phone and half of my wallpaper is black.

I have yet to notice it while using the screen on everyday basis. I can't even find them even when I try to look for it when using it.

There will always be people that will raise hell over this. I am happy with my phone and I am glad it is not stuck in my head and I am not crazy putting blankets on my phone to notice this crap. Sorry if you don't like it, please return the phone and move on.

I am pretty picky about my phones but something that is not there while I am using the phone, I can hardly call the phone defective. This is kinda ridiculous.

el_dc5

Oct 28, 2009
Yes when I turned on the phone, few spots had it and had to fricking put it under my blanket to even notice. I don't use my phone in a dark room and I did last night and I never noticed it other than the boot screen. I don't have too many spots but they were there.

Never ever, ever noticed it while using it. Stop taking shots with your super high end cameras that our eyes cant even see. I love this scree and something I don't notice, or doesn't show up when I am using the phone and half of my wallpaper is black.

I have yet to notice it while using the screen on everyday basis. I can't even find them even when I try to look for it when using it.

There will always be people that will raise hell over this. I am happy with my phone and I am glad it is not stuck in my head and I am not crazy putting blankets on my phone to notice this crap. Sorry if you don't like it, please return the phone and move on.

I am pretty picky about my phones but something that is not there while I am using the phone, I can hardly call the phone defective. This is kinda ridiculous.

Did you ever think........ you got one of the good ones? instead of insulting other people's right to express themselves and there. Experience to warn or help others.

JaBr1884

Sep 13, 2010
For the longest time, I thought I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have this issue (I do have the blue tint when on an angle). However, I received my HD dock to use the phone as an alarm clock. When the lights go out and the screen dims, the dots and rather thick line on my screen show up very visibly (just like the 1st post). I don't think anyone could miss the line/blotches in this mode. This makes me wish they used the Bionic's screen in the RAZR even more, but I will still take the RAZR over anything else out there. I am not a fan of these AMOLED screens!

ianford10

May 22, 2010
Just ordered another RAZR but this time from Handtec. They checked out some tweets that I was posting and even rang me up, asked exactly what the issues were and offered to test the unit before dispatch, no issues can be found on this one and I should have it tomoz, bloody good customer service :)

ianford10

May 22, 2010
You were one of the first to get the U.K Razr, it would be sad to see you gone ianford. Hope you'll love your new one :D

Don't, I'm getting all emotional ;)

Seriously though thanks and this is another reason to keep with the RAZR, got some very good people in the RAZR forums :)

Z4nd4r

Jun 15, 2010
Colorado Springs
I have this "issue" (I really think some who have posted here are correct and this is simply a by-product of the sAMOLED technology), but it's a very negligible one. It's only noticeable when the screen is mainly black with anything else on the screen very dim and in a near black environment (using the phone as an alarm clock, for example).

Even so, if you bump the brightness to what an LCD can muster (since the LCD backlight is always lighting up the entire screen) in alarm clock mode you won't notice this due to the contrast. Ditto using it as a video player in a dark room. As long as there's something on the screen, the contrast will make it look as though the blacks are completely black. Even with the blotchiness, it's only noticeable when the screen is far darker than an LCD could ever muster, so the sAMOLED tech still wins out in functionality.

/imo

garywojdan81

Aug 10, 2010
Has anyone who's had the phone for awhile noticed any change in the spots/blotches? I'm asking because mine seem to have diminished. I seem to recall something from the original galaxy s about samoled break-in. Ring any bells?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

nkd

Aug 12, 2010
I can never see the damn thing. I don't know. Lol

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

ianford10

May 22, 2010
I can never see the damn thing. I don't know. Lol

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Well im on my third RAZR and im no longer looking or care, I have been without a RAZR for 4 days and im just so happy to have another :)

Sent from my XT910 using xda premium

Rickinsav

Mar 29, 2011
Savannah, GA
dear God, I don't even want to look ai will never be able use the phone again... Haha
Kinda like walking in on you're newlywed wife in the toilet with the ****es...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

[TSON]

Jan 28, 2011
are you in some way paid by motorola??

No, but look what you're doing.

That does it for me, I was going to get this phone on my upgrade but not anymore. I just can't excuse such an imperfection.
Ruining a good phone with a great screen because you're overreacting that there's a few <1 mm spots spread sparingly across the screen that you can't see unless you're both using it at night AND looking at a black picture.

This whole "epidemic" is people overreacting. I understand that there may be a few models that have it way worse than others (and I would advice you to switch them out if it really bothers you that much) but wow, I know a lot of people with RAZRs and they hadn't even noticed this "problem" until I told them. In real life usage, it really isn't that big of a deal!

You guys really know how to make a forum look terrible, the Bionic trolls are probably laughing at the people that switched over from their Bionic because of pixellation because you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

You could be swatting away potential devs, you know!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    exif data is ripped out of this pic, but the original shows a Nikon D200 and:

It's a 15+ second long exposure IIRC.

That long open shutter is going to make it more dramatic looking. I'm sure that people looking at this pic think that is exactly what they will see in real life. Nope.

Here's a version with exif intact:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-514344-47059/Razr.jpg

yup, a 15 second exposure:

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
    Camera Model: NIKON D200
    Image Date: 2011-11-25 01:24:29 (no TZ)
    Focal Length: 32.0mm (35mm equivalent: 48mm)
    Aperture: f/2.8
    Exposure Time: 15.000 s
    ISO equiv: 100
    Exposure Bias: none
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    Exposure: Manual
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    White Balance: Auto
    Flash Fired: No
    Orientation: Normal
    Color Space: sRGB
    GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
    Software: Nikon Capture Editor 4.4.0 W
    All RAZRs have this. It's only visible in extremely dark lighting and extremely dark content displaying - E.G. you-won't-notice-it-unless-you're-looking-for-it-and-it-makes-no-difference-anyway.
    are you in some way paid by motorola??

No, but look what you're doing.

That does it for me, I was going to get this phone on my upgrade but not anymore. I just can't excuse such an imperfection.
    Ruining a good phone with a great screen because you're overreacting that there's a few <1 mm spots spread sparingly across the screen that you can't see unless you're both using it at night AND looking at a black picture.

This whole "epidemic" is people overreacting. I understand that there may be a few models that have it way worse than others (and I would advice you to switch them out if it really bothers you that much) but wow, I know a lot of people with RAZRs and they hadn't even noticed this "problem" until I told them. In real life usage, it really isn't that big of a deal!

You guys really know how to make a forum look terrible, the Bionic trolls are probably laughing at the people that switched over from their Bionic because of pixellation because you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

You could be swatting away potential devs, you know!
    All RAZRs have this. It's only visible in extremely dark lighting and extremely dark content displaying - E.G. you-won't-notice-it-unless-you're-looking-for-it-and-it-makes-no-difference-anyway.

Well I noticed it when taking a picture outside and also when watching a movie and believe me even Stevie Wonder would have noticed them so forgive me but your "you won't even notice it unless your looking for it, makes no difference anyway" is a crock of ****e.

here's mine.. i only see it in pitch dark when i'm staring at a black graphic for no reason..