failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory)

Search This thread
Aug 11, 2010
Motorola XOOM 3G. I am trying to upgrade to 3.1. Currently on 3.0.1

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1074609

I am trying to flash a ROM from my external micro sdcard. I getting an error E:\failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory) inside Android system recovery <3e> when I choose a package to install. Please help!!!

Last edited:

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Motorola XOOM 3G. I am trying to upgrade to 3.1. Currently on 3.0.1

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1074609

I am trying to flash a ROM from my external micro sdcard. I getting an error E:\failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory) inside Android system recovery <3e> when I choose a package to install. Please help!!!
Please take a look at this thread. I'm not trying to boost myself but keep you guys from having problems. I don't know if this is your problem (bad recovery from CWM) but it's been happening to a lot of smart people.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1129397

DeanBuxton

Jun 18, 2009
"E:failed to mount /sdcard (No such file or directory)"

I have been trying to flash the 3.2.2 ROM on my Verizon branded 4g+WiFi Xoom and I am receiving the same message when I choose apply zip from USB:

E:failed to mount /sdcard (No such file or directory)

I have tried three different microSD cards, 512MB, 16GB class 4, and 32GB class10. I get the same message no matter what card is tried. It does not seem to be able to see its own internal storage or the external microSD card.

I was following the steps and another odd thing is that I do not have the options to perform and Nandroid backup. I have the purchased version of ROM Manager but I need root access to be able to install ClockworkMod... Since my tablet is already at 3.2.2 all I really needed was root anyway so I can run Cisco Anyconnect VPN that required root.

Any tips on getting the Xoom to see or mount the SD card, either one, would be appreciated.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Step 1: Getting Ready to Flash Rooted Honeycomb in Xoom

1. Download the ROM Android-HC-3.2.2-Stock+Rooted-1.1-SOLARNZ.zip and save the file on your desktop.
2. Once done, connect your tab to the computer, mount SD Card or SD Ext and copy the downloaded Zip file to SD Card root. .

Step 2: Put Motorola Xoom in Recovery Mode

First you need to reboot Motorola Xoom in Recovery Mode, after that you can perform a factory reset on Xoom. Follow the steps below:

1. Turn your device on, then switch it back on
2. On startup when Motorola logo appears, press and hold Volume Down button
3. When Android recovery text appears, press the Volume Up button. Your device will now enter in recovery mode.

Note: In recovery mode, you can navigate up and down using Volume Up and Volume Down keys while Power button can be used to select an option.
Step 3: Take Nandroid Backup

1. Once in recovery mode, press & hold Power button.
2. While holding the Power button, press & release the Volume Up button.
3. Navigate to “backup and restore” and select it.
4. Select “backup” to perform your data backup.

Step 4: Factory Reset Motorola Xoom

1. Once Nandroid backup is complete, navigate to Wipe data / factory reset, then press Power button to select it.
2. It will ask for confirmation, select Yes, delete all user data option to factory reset Xoom.

Step 5: Flash Rooted Honeycomb 3.2.2 ROM

1. Select Flash Zip from SD Card
2. Then select choose zip from sd card
3. Select the zip file that you put onto the root of SD card.
4. Wait for process to complete.

And there you go! You are now on the latest Android Honeycomb version and are all set to explore what’s new. In case you are facing any issues or just want to thank the ROM chef. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues while updating your device in the comments section as just in case if you face any issues then we will try to solve them at the earliest.

Reactions: Mehdiway

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I suspect that you updated your recovery via ROM Manager to a version that doesn't recognize the external sdcard. You need to flash the solarnz R4C cwm
recovery v 3.2.0.0. Rom Manager is a pain.

Also please don't flash that 3.2.2 ROM. It will break your connectivity. If you have 4G, you can flash the Odachi kernel.

Last edited:

Muffycheeks

May 3, 2011
Had a problem similar to yours. Make sure you have your sdcard mounted completely in it's slot. Make sure you turn the xoom off when mounting.

xenasg1

Dec 3, 2011
4g xoom root failed

ok i attempted the 5 steps but i dont get an option for a backup nor an option to install zip file, the closest is 'apply update from usb drive' then i get the E:/failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory). card is mounted correctly. i bypassed the backup and just did the rest, same issue. should i keep it plugged into pc while doing all this, i plug in to copy zip file then unplug it.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Assuming that you have the correct recovery version installed (see my previous post), you should keep the sdcard mounted in your Xoom. Make sure it is actually mounted. A reboot with the card seated in its slot will usually do it.

You could at least read over this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1249798
and check the steps listed against what you have done. That often helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: xenasg1

xenasg1

Dec 3, 2011
exactly what i needed detailed instructions for dummies. hopefully i will be succesful this time, taking a break for a day this stuff is for programmers, lol.

adrian238

Dec 24, 2012
failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory) galaxy y duos

I am trying to flash a ROM from my external micro sdcard. I getting an error E:\ failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory)
please help

If somebody can help me with more details how to do tnx.

Last edited:

beyeriii

Jun 25, 2012
I have been trying to flash the 3.2.2 ROM on my Verizon branded 4g+WiFi Xoom and I am receiving the same message when I choose apply zip from USB:

I encountered the same issue.

It appears the XOOM does not like SD Cards that were formatted using Windows
(or perhaps Quick Formatted using Windows).

Using a 4GB FlashDrive formatted as Fat32 using Linux (i.e. Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit boot CD)
resolved the issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "E:failed to mount /sdcard (No such file or directory)"

I have tried three different microSD cards, 512MB, 16GB class 4, and 32GB class10. I get the same message no matter what card is tried. It does not seem to be able to see its own internal storage or the external microSD card.

I was following the steps and another odd thing is that I do not have the options to perform and Nandroid backup. I have the purchased version of ROM Manager but I need root access to be able to install ClockworkMod... Since my tablet is already at 3.2.2 all I really needed was root anyway so I can run Cisco Anyconnect VPN that required root.

Any tips on getting the Xoom to see or mount the SD card, either one, would be appreciated.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Step 1: Getting Ready to Flash Rooted Honeycomb in Xoom

1. Download the ROM Android-HC-3.2.2-Stock+Rooted-1.1-SOLARNZ.zip and save the file on your desktop.
    2. Once done, connect your tab to the computer, mount SD Card or SD Ext and copy the downloaded Zip file to SD Card root. .

Step 2: Put Motorola Xoom in Recovery Mode

First you need to reboot Motorola Xoom in Recovery Mode, after that you can perform a factory reset on Xoom. Follow the steps below:

1. Turn your device on, then switch it back on
    2. On startup when Motorola logo appears, press and hold Volume Down button
    3. When Android recovery text appears, press the Volume Up button. Your device will now enter in recovery mode.

Note: In recovery mode, you can navigate up and down using Volume Up and Volume Down keys while Power button can be used to select an option.
    Step 3: Take Nandroid Backup

1. Once in recovery mode, press & hold Power button.
    2. While holding the Power button, press & release the Volume Up button.
    3. Navigate to “backup and restore” and select it.
    4. Select “backup” to perform your data backup.

Step 4: Factory Reset Motorola Xoom

1. Once Nandroid backup is complete, navigate to Wipe data / factory reset, then press Power button to select it.
    2. It will ask for confirmation, select Yes, delete all user data option to factory reset Xoom.

Step 5: Flash Rooted Honeycomb 3.2.2 ROM

1. Select Flash Zip from SD Card
    2. Then select choose zip from sd card
    3. Select the zip file that you put onto the root of SD card.
    4. Wait for process to complete.

And there you go! You are now on the latest Android Honeycomb version and are all set to explore what’s new. In case you are facing any issues or just want to thank the ROM chef. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues while updating your device in the comments section as just in case if you face any issues then we will try to solve them at the earliest.
    Assuming that you have the correct recovery version installed (see my previous post), you should keep the sdcard mounted in your Xoom. Make sure it is actually mounted. A reboot with the card seated in its slot will usually do it.

You could at least read over this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1249798
    and check the steps listed against what you have done. That often helps.