[APP] z4root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

puxukrouf

Oct 22, 2010
worked perfectly for my galaxy s french 2.1 (SFR) with NO recovery mode.

BUT!! it's important to reboot your phone BEFORE doing the root routine to avoid Stayin forever in Running exploit blablabla...

great work!!!

V1V1D

Nov 24, 2010
Thanks for the great work Ryan!!.
I do have an issue though. I downloaded Z4, downloaded wireless tether. I installed the temporary root (had to reboot for it to work) went through the process and said it was rooted. I have SU app in tray so I assumed it was rooted. I went to wireless tether and it says NO ROOT. I backed out and went back in and hit the wireless start button and it will not connect. This leaves me to believe the root didn't take??? I havent tried the permanent root yet, I was hoping to use the temp to make sure everything is cool.

Please let me know if anyone has this problem or if there is a way around it. I have seen alot of DX users with no issues. I havent come across with anyone having similar issues as me.

I have a Droid X with Froyo 2.2 OTA. Everything is stock.

Thanks.

gothicasshole

Nov 23, 2010
one freaking question y didn't it root my phone?
experia x10a
firmware 1.6
baseband version 1.1.32
kernel version2.6.29-rel
build number R2CA016
sadly i got the newer seus updated rom so yea still no 2.1 wtf is taking so damn long? screw at&t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gothicasshole

Nov 23, 2010
Thanks for the great work Ryan!!.
I do have an issue though. I downloaded Z4, downloaded wireless tether. I installed the temporary root (had to reboot for it to work) went through the process and said it was rooted. I have SU app in tray so I assumed it was rooted. I went to wireless tether and it says NO ROOT. I backed out and went back in and hit the wireless start button and it will not connect. This leaves me to believe the root didn't take??? I havent tried the permanent root yet, I was hoping to use the temp to make sure everything is cool.

Please let me know if anyone has this problem or if there is a way around it. I have seen alot of DX users with no issues. I havent come across with anyone having similar issues as me.

I have a Droid X with Froyo 2.2 OTA. Everything is stock.

Thanks.
ok temporary root works untill the next reboot if you lost your root because you rebooted to enable the teather for the first time once it rebooted the boot loader lost the root simply temporaraly root it again and it should work

pagosajoe

Nov 24, 2010
Applied to my Droid X, and as others have experienced, it hung at "Applying exploit". Rebooted, tried again and it completed in 15-20 seconds.

Superuser/Busybox now appear, however, I can't see/get to the "tether" feature in Android 2.2.

Suggestions?

neoman4426

Nov 7, 2010
Awesome job, but a question

This is an awesome app. I've been wanting to root for a while, but didn't have a data cable (got the phone from my cousin when he decided to get a different one). worked flawlessly on my Moto Backflip, which was running the official prerelease version of 2.1.

now for the question, I'm sorry if this has been answered already or this is the wrong place to ask. since it requires USB debugging to be enabled, I'm assuming it uses some variant of ADB to work. if so, would it be possible to build an app that uses a similar in-phone method to install non-market apps on an AT&T Android device, as that also uses ADB? I figure it would be helpful to people who have no way to do it from the computer if an app to install non-market apps could be downloaded from the market, and even if it couldn't be put in the market would at least take a big chunk of the effort out of it for the people who can as they would only have to sideload the one app. if anyone actually read this wall of text, thank you. and if anyone can actually get it done, thank you even more. not that it really effects me anymore I guess, since I changed the rom to one that allows non-market apps anyway, but it could be helpful to other AT&T Android users who are locked down to the market.

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
This is an awesome app. I've been wanting to root for a while, but didn't have a data cable (got the phone from my cousin when he decided to get a different one). worked flawlessly on my Moto Backflip, which was running the official prerelease version of 2.1.

now for the question, I'm sorry if this has been answered already or this is the wrong place to ask. since it requires USB debugging to be enabled, I'm assuming it uses some variant of ADB to work. if so, would it be possible to build an app that uses a similar in-phone method to install non-market apps on an AT&T Android device, as that also uses ADB? I figure it would be helpful to people who have no way to do it from the computer if an app to install non-market apps could be downloaded from the market, and even if it couldn't be put in the market would at least take a big chunk of the effort out of it for the people who can as they would only have to sideload the one app. if anyone actually read this wall of text, thank you. and if anyone can actually get it done, thank you even more. not that it really effects me anymore I guess, since I changed the rom to one that allows non-market apps anyway, but it could be helpful to other AT&T Android users who are locked down to the market.

I believe a number of these apps already exist. If not, then it's actually pretty easy to do it yourself. Download 'Android Terminal Emulator', and then type
Code:
su
pm install /sdcard/whatever.apk

And it should install it. :)

neoman4426

Nov 7, 2010
I believe a number of these apps already exist. If not, then it's actually pretty easy to do it yourself. Download 'Android Terminal Emulator', and then type
Code:
su
pm install /sdcard/whatever.apk

And it should install it. :)

that's true I suppose, but what I mean is for people who want non-market apps, but don't want to root for whatever reason. I'm not even sure if that would work (what I said)

antonisberkous

Nov 24, 2010
hello...!!
just want to ask if there is any risk on that app, because i don't have the three-button combination...

thanks in advance....!!!

DamianGto

Sep 17, 2010
thanks for replying...
dow you know an easy guide to fix that??
i read some of them but they seem to me somekind of risky....

Never use them. I did check the phones when i did buy them.

But you could always go to a repair center and get it fixed.

Sent from GT-I9000 jpo. My own kernel for z4mod and with 342MB Ram

mahalocat

Oct 2, 2010
Honolulu
Confirmed - intercept

Confirm the Temp Root works for the Sprint Intercept -
Was Able to delete Crapware using TB and Cachemate to clear 11MB of space.....WOW......

Thanks Ryan - This should help this phone Limp along until it gets the 2.2 update.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Froyo is a bit of a pain to root! Well, this fixes that.

Credits

z4ziggy
    Sebastian Krahmer's rageagainstthecage

What this does

It is an app you install from the market or by side loading, that has a single button that will root your device.

How safe is this?

Should be 100% safe - nothing on disk is changed besides the root binaries, so if something goes wrong, simply rebooting the device should fix up any and all issues. Let me know if you find any bugs!

[size=+1]The new temporary root option works on 99% of available Android devices - no list yet of which specific devices are incompatible with the temporary root option - I am still trying to find out.[/size]

Here is the list so far of known compatible and incompatible devices for the permanent root option. I haven't actually tested these myself - I only have a Galaxy S device - but this list has been created by reports from users.

Compatible with [size=+2]PERMANENT[/size] root option

Samsung Galaxy S (All variants)
    Backflip
    Sony X10
    Xperia Mini
    Droid 2
    Galaxy Tab
    Galaxy I5700
    Galaxy 3 I5800
    Droid X
    Samsung Acclaim
    Cricket Huawei Ascend
    Motorola Cliq
    Huawei 8120
    Hero
    G1
    Optimus T
    Droid 1
    Garmin Asus A50
    Motorola Defy
    LG Ally
    Motorola Flipside
    Motorola Milestone 2
    Dell streak
    X10 Mini Pro
    Smartq v7 android 2.1

Incompatible with [size=+2]PERMANENT[/size] root option

Desire (requires nand unlock)
    Desire HD (requires nand unlock)
    Magic (unknown)
    Evo (requires nand unlock)
    G2 (requires nand unlock)
    Archos 70 (unknown)
    myTouch 3G (unknown)
    Wildfire
    Droid Incredible

z4rootscreenshot.png

Changelog

V1.0.0 : Initial Release
    V1.1.0 : Will now open the application settings page if USB debugging is not enabled.
    V1.2.0 : Unroot support, fix for devices with small max file size such as I5700, binaries in xbin rather than bin
    V1.2.1 : Back to /system/bin for support for some devices. Fix for QVGA devices.
    V1.2.2 : Adverts added (can be permanently disabled with menu option). Hopeful fix for devices such as Moment (Did not work).
    V1.3.0 : Force unroot option, temporary root option.

Market

This application is available directly from the market. Search for 'z4root'

Donations

If this app helps you out, you can donate here:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...=PP-DonationsBF:btn_donateCC_LG.gif:NonHosted
    if it works i expect it will be blocked with the next android update as usual
    will test on my girlfriends i5800 as soon as it´s back from service, its there for pin request issue...
    Thanks !!!
    This is great news !!!