Activate Gear S WITHOUT a Samsung Phone

Search This thread

Cyman

Jan 3, 2006
Zurich
Some folks asked about if it's possible to use it as a stand alone device without the need of activating it in the first place with a Samsung device. It is! (I read that easter egg trick somewhere else in XDA for the Gear 2, it works as well for Gear S)

1. Jump to the screen, where it's visible for Samsung Devices in activation process. You'll see the unique name of your Gear S and a small Watch Icon on the left of the name
2. Tap around 25-30 times on the Watch Icon
3. Now a short message appears saying something about bluetooth. Just ignore it, it will vanish after a few seconds
4. Now tap again on the watch icon but this time leave your finger on the screen for around 5 seconds
5. Voilà, your Gear S is now activated, you can't use it as a remote Smartwatch but as a phone watch at least.

Hope, someone figures out how to pair it with Tab S soon since this is my phone;)

Last edited:

Akram.

Dec 8, 2013
So, i hope it pairs with my LG G2 without much hassle? Remote sharing probably wont work because it is using Samsung account?

What about all other functions, like notifications, call forwarding etc? Is i even possible to reply on your phone and send via Gear S for messages

Uniquebarbee

Oct 29, 2014
So, i hope it pairs with my LG G2 without much hassle? Remote sharing probably wont work because it is using Samsung account?

What about all other functions, like notifications, call forwarding etc? Is i even possible to reply on your phone and send viapGear S for messages

If the Steps above don't work buy the watch in the store and have the store pair/ or you to pair it with the display Model of the Note 4 (A guy in the Gear S thread has an iphone and this worked for him) Everything should work as a regular phone besides downloading apps (that needs to connect to the gear manager) and updates ( needs gear manager) Search the Gear 2 thread (Pair with non-Samsung phone works the same for our watch) Tizen is the OS and it should all work the same

Akram.

Dec 8, 2013
If the Steps above don't work buy the watch in the store and have the store pair/ or you to pair it with the display Model of the Note 4 (A guy in the Gear S thread has an iphone and this worked for him) Everything should work as a regular phone besides downloading apps (that needs to connect to the gear manager) and updates ( needs gear manager) Search the Gear 2 thread (Pair with non-Samsung phone works the same for our watch) Tizen is the OS and it should all work the same

Got it. I have S4 mini, but it is 4.2.2. I am afraid if the old version will not support.

Uniquebarbee

Oct 29, 2014
Got it. I have S4 mini, but it is 4.2.2. I am afraid if the old version will not support.
Can you updat to 4.4.2 somehow? Correct 4.3 or higher
Compatible with Samsung devices with Android™ 4.3, Jelly Bean, or higher, including Samsung Galaxy S® III, Samsung Galaxy S® 4, Samsung Galaxy S® 4 mini, Samsung Galaxy S® 5, Samsung Galaxy S® 5 Sport, Samsung Galaxy Note® II, Samsung Galaxy Note® 3 or Samsung Galaxy Note® 4
• Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
• S Voice™ user interface to enable search and basic device-user communication
• IP67 water- and dust-resistant2

Last edited:
Reactions: HabanoJim
Jun 30, 2010
Just tried this trick out and I'm happy to say it works perfectly. I have my gear s connected to my iPhone right now. You can receive and place calls directly from the watch.

Akram.

Dec 8, 2013
The Op method worked. Now how do i update and connect with my LG G2? In my phone it just says connecting

I connected Gear S to Kies and it says it already has the latest FW

Alpha06

Dec 12, 2010
Gear Manager needs to forward the text notification to your Gear S from your phone.

simplegray

Nov 14, 2014
Amazing. This worked. THANK YOU!

Questions:

1) Bluetooth between iPhone and Gear S keeps dropping. How do you fix this?

2) Can you pair the device with more than 1 device? So for example, it's now paired with my 6 Plus. Can add a Galaxy to it so I can add apps? Seems to always factory reset the device.

3) I know text doesn't work but can we use Calendars or Email somehow?

Some folks asked about if it's possible to use it as a stand alone device without the need of activating it in the first place with a Samsung device. It is! (I read that easter egg trick somewhere else in XDA for the Gear 2, it works as well for Gear S)

1. Jump to the screen, where it's visible for Samsung Devices in activation process. You'll see the unique name of your Gear S and a small Watch Icon on the left of the name
3. Now a short message appears saying something about bluetooth. Just ignore it, it will vanish after a few seconds
4. Now tap again on the watch icon but this time leave your finger on the screen for around 5 seconds
5. Voilà, you're Gear S is now activated, you can't use it as a remote Smartwatch but as a phone watch at least.

Hope, someone figures out how to pair it with Tab S soon since this is my phone;)

Last edited:

sticmou

Feb 13, 2008
Pessac

Questions:

2) Can you pair the device with more than 1 device? So for example, it's now paired with my 6 Plus. Can add a Galaxy to it so I can add apps? Seems to always factory reset the device.

Regarding the question 2:
I have a Galaxy Note 2 and an Iphone. My Iphone is my main phone.
Currently, i successful paired my iphone without the factory reseting. To do that: first i rooted my Gear S. After i use the sdb tool (tizen wearable sdk):
./sdb root on
./sdb shell

and then
cd /var/lib/bluetooth
and i delete the directory with a lot of number (the bt adress of the gear) . Example rm -r C4:42:02:19:99:8D

After i can paired with the iphone without the factory reset.
The problem is i have to do the same thing to reconnect the Galaxy Note 2.
To be continued....

Reactions: Kanon25 and gidi

sbrownla

Jun 1, 2007
Northern Arizona
Currently, i successful paired my iphone without the factory reseting. To do that: first i rooted my Gear S. After i use the sdb tool (tizen wearable sdk):
./sdb root on
./sdb shell

and then
cd /var/lib/bluetooth
and i delete the directory with a lot of number (the bt adress of the gear) . Example rm -r C4:42:02:19:99:8D

To be continued....

Hold on ... you're deleting the bluetooth address for the Gear?

And how are you not getting this:

Attachments

• 1417954470694.jpg
    1417954470694.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,546

sticmou

Feb 13, 2008
Pessac
No, i don't think that. This directory contains some bluetooth information relating the local (Gear S) address. When i (re)pair it, the directory becomes.
In fact, there is a sub directory with paired bt adresss containing some others informations. To be proper, i deleted the local directory: there is no memory reset, no app lost. I tried to merge the sub directory (the iphone and note 2 bt adress directory), but for the moment it's not concluant.
No, the pairing is sucessfully and i can make a phone call from the Gear S throw the Iphone. For an incoming call , it's another thing: the Gear S rings (but , it's configured in vibration model !), but there is no sound unlike i transferred the call to the iphone and after to the Gear S (not cool !).

sbrownla

Jun 1, 2007
Northern Arizona
No, i don't think that. This directory contains some bluetooth information relating the local (Gear S) address. When i (re)pair it, the directory becomes.
In fact, there is a sub directory with paired bt adresss containing some others informations. To be proper, i deleted the local directory: there is no memory reset, no app lost. I tried to merge the sub directory (the iphone and note 2 bt adress directory), but for the moment it's not concluant.
No, the pairing is sucessfully and i can make a phone call from the Gear S throw the Iphone. For an incoming call , it's another thing: the Gear S rings (but , it's configured in vibration model !), but there is no sound unlike i transferred the call to the iphone and after to the Gear S (not cool !).

What is your model number? SM-R750[?]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

5. Voilà, your Gear S is now activated, you can't use it as a remote Smartwatch but as a phone watch at least.

Questions:

./sdb root on
    ./sdb shell

and then
    cd /var/lib/bluetooth

To be continued....
    Can you updat to 4.4.2 somehow? Correct 4.3 or higher
    Compatible with Samsung devices with Android™ 4.3, Jelly Bean, or higher, including Samsung Galaxy S® III, Samsung Galaxy S® 4, Samsung Galaxy S® 4 mini, Samsung Galaxy S® 5, Samsung Galaxy S® 5 Sport, Samsung Galaxy Note® II, Samsung Galaxy Note® 3 or Samsung Galaxy Note® 4
    • Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
    • S Voice™ user interface to enable search and basic device-user communication
    • IP67 water- and dust-resistant2
    Hi,

The changing of bluetooth pairing is very useful. I have a Gear S and a HTC One M7 as main phone. Unfortunately rooting the HTC is not an option, so all I could achieve was that I could pair and use with limits as described in the "Tutorial: Install Gear Manager and connect to Non-Samsung Devices" thread. Without root on my phone, I was unable to download apps to the Gear S.
    Now, I managed to download apps to the Gear using a Samsung phone while keeping the connection to the HTC One M7. I did the following steps:
    0. I had the Gear Manager installed on my HTC before starting this procedure. Backup your Gear using the Gear Manager on the phone, as a reset will be required.
    1. I have rooted the Gear S. (the method is described here).
    2. I have downloaded the Gear Manager to the Samsung phone and paired with it. Unfortunately this first pairing required a reset on the Gear, even though I have deleted the /var/lib/bluetooth/[MAC] directory. The Gear Manager required the reset, not the Gear.
    3. I have downloaded the apps I wanted from the Samsung App store using the Samsung phone.
    4. Now I disconnected from the Samsung phone and switched the Bluetooth off on the watch.
    5. I re-enabled the USB debugging as the reset switched it off.
    6. I connected the watch using USB , and deleted the directory with the watch BT MAC address as described in this thread. It is actually required to switch off BT while deleting the directory, or the watch will ask to restore factory defaults...
    7. I re-enabled bluetooth, and connected the watch from my HTC. Since the watch was previously paired with the HTC, the Gear Manager did not request reset on the watch.

Now I have the apps I wanted installed, and the HTC is paired with the watch. If you want more apps on the Gear, it is enough to delete the /var/lib/bluetooth/[MAC] directory, and connect from the Samsung phone again. Since it was previously paired, no reset is required.

Cheers,
    Pityu