[Tool][Windows] Control a device with a broken screen. Now with touchscreen support!!

Search This thread

FoxTheLegend

Feb 5, 2017
Athens
If you can boot into TWRP, you can connect to PC and use adb commands to enable USB debugging.

Just do a search for:

"How to enable USB debugging via TWRP"

Or

"How to enable USB debugging via adb"

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Hey there, thanks for your reply. So I went to TWRP, connected the phone to the computer, adb sees the device, I ran the commands without the extra " in the end (I assume that was a typo right? because otherwise it doesnt work) and I assume that USB debugging is now ON because I can access my phone from the computer when it is booted normally (not in recovery)
However I cannot get your program to work, it doesn't detect the device for some reason? I ran with admin rights too, and I chose for adb executable the correct location (c:/adb/adb.exe)
Do I actually need to download the whole android SDK thing for this to work?

Appelmoes

Jan 19, 2011
Galaxy S6 Egde

Hi there guys

I have a Galaxy S6 Edge with a broken screen (no image and no inputs). Phone is stock ROM and USB debugging not enabled.
How do I boot into recovery if I cannot see what is happening on the screen when I press the required button combination, in order to use ADB to set the phone to USB debugging enabled. I have seen some refer to method of downloading firmware (would this be from the net or somehow extract the firmware from the phone) and then change the build.prop to enable USB debugging and then flash the firmware to the phone (how do you flash if USB debugging is not enabled?)
Sorry I am a total noob. I once or twice rooted a Samsung Note 1 and Motorola Zoom tablet, but only by following the steps given.
Please help

Appelmoes

Jan 19, 2011
Samsung S6 Edge

for people who dont have adb enabled, i suggest you contact a kernel developer to automatically enable it in the default.prop and sideload the kernel in recovery!
i broke my S3 on stock so nothing was enabled.
i enabled adb via the default.prop and compiled the kernel and flashed in recovery(sideload).
now i have full control over the device.
thanks for the tool mate! i hope to see it cross compiled for linux soon aswell :)

Hi there
I have a Galaxy S6 Egde with broken screen. Black and unresponsive. Where can I get hold of a developer to enable USB in the default.prop and where can i get details on how to sideload the kernel if I am unable to see if the phone is actually going into the boot recovery.
Please help

Apotrox

Nov 4, 2018
PIN?

Well i absolutely wrecked my screen and already disconnected it from the phone so there's no way i can insert anything. Problem is that apparently ADB doesn't connect in system mode without the pin (idk but it did in recovery mode) so i can't do anything except mashing the hardware buttons.

Any tips and tricks? I reinstalled the drivers already when i was in recovery mode because the device didn't show up in ADB.

BTW i'm talking about a Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-G920F) with the newest Resurrection Remix 9.0 ROM and USB Debugging should be enabled.

Last edited:

sitoplasm

Sep 11, 2019
Hi, my oneplus3 screen came off completely so i don't have touch events nor see anything. I ran adb and got access to phone via terminal and pulled some data to pc. but how can I mirror the phone to pc with this tool?
btw thank you so much, its a really handy tool!
Regards
Hamed

Cainnub

Apr 18, 2017
Im trying this tool on my Pocophone F1 with LOS on it. I have downloaded your tool and I have downloaded Droid@screen. I have filled in the path to adb.exe in screen@droid. USB debugging is on, but I keep getting the rejected status on screen@droid. When i open ADB I have full access to my phone. What am I doing wrong.

Cainnub

Apr 18, 2017
@k.janku1 Can you (or any1 who knows this) help me with this. I have now tried this tool with my Oneplus 3. I got the tool working because i can see the screen of my phone in the tool. However once i want to use one of the buttons on the keyboard of the tool, the screentool just disappears and I see that the device is removed from the Droid@screen tool. What am i doing wrong? I tried several screensizes but nothing works.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

[/COLOR @k.janku1 Can you (or any1 who knows this) help me with this. I have now tried this tool with my Oneplus 3. I got the tool working because i can see the screen of my phone in the tool. However once i want to use one of the buttons on the keyboard of the tool, the screentool just disappears and I see that the device is removed from the Droid@screen tool. What am i doing wrong? I tried several screensizes but nothing works.

theSodo

Nov 11, 2019
Broke phone screen, can't see display at all

So I dropped my phone face down on the ground, cracked it a little bit and now the display won't work. I'm pretty sure the phone itself still works, though. I want to use my computer to get on the phone so I can transfer files from the phone to a new one, but I don't have the usb debugging stuff enabled, so I don't know how to use the program. I'm really new to all this stuff so I have not a clue what to do. Any help?

Cainnub

Apr 18, 2017
So I dropped my phone face down on the ground, cracked it a little bit and now the display won't work. I'm pretty sure the phone itself still works, though. I want to use my computer to get on the phone so I can transfer files from the phone to a new one, but I don't have the usb debugging stuff enabled, so I don't know how to use the program. I'm really new to all this stuff so I have not a clue what to do. Any help?

Is your device rooted?

theSodo

Nov 11, 2019
You're probably pretty much out of luck then. You can try sending the device to a repair shop for them to use some hardware tools to retreive your data directly from the chip on the motherboard.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

So there's literally no way for me to mirror my phone on my computer without having the usb debugging enabled is what you're saying?

Cainnub

Apr 18, 2017
Yup, because ur device isnt rooted and u dont have USB debugging on u cant use this tool or get USB debugging enabled through ADB. Best option is to go to a repairshop to either get ur screen repaired or ur data copied from ur phone.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Yup, because ur device isnt rooted and u dont have USB debugging on u cant use this tool or get USB debugging enabled through ADB. Best option is to go to a repairshop to either get ur screen repaired or ur data copied from ur phone.
That is another option. If you feel like you can handle replacing the LCD/digitizer/glass combination, order a replacement that comes with a complete kit(tools and all). Then find a youtube video demonstrating how to disassemble a d replace screen on devices with your model number.
So there's literally no way for me to mirror my phone on my computer without having the usb debugging enabled is what you're saying?

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
At least state what model your phone is and which firmware build its running.? Your options are dependent on this.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
hi,
thanks for great tool. please we need more resolution options
No we do not.

Why bother with more resolution options?

This tool is not for permanent/regular use, it isn't the kind of tool that is used everyday. It is a tool that is only needed when a device is broken, it can do its job just fine even with the worst resolution possible. Performing its function is all that matters, how it looks on-screen isn't important at all.

It works, that is all you need to be concerned with.

228as091215t

Jan 18, 2018
Hi i realy need help! i have here an huawei p20 pro and i need to mount the storages to enable the usb debugging - how to mount them? i cant find a working command! :(

Boitim

Feb 11, 2020
I failed to get it to work on my Redmi Note 5. My display is almost unreadable and my touchscreen does not work any more. It generates random presses everywhere so I cannot control anything via the display. No way to enable debugging mode via the touch screen when the USB cable is connected (tried this for about 30 minutes now...). Even turning off the phone takes many attempts because I need to hit the "Power off" icon and then the confirmation.

The phone is unlocked and I once had it rooted and if I remember correctly I used TWRP but this was apparently overwritten when MIUI did an update (dammit...!!!). I hope this did not reset the developer mode.

Now I managed to flash the most recent twrp for my phone with fastboot and I can boot into the twrp menu. I cannot read exactly what it says, something with "...select language", I see the keyboard and "...Unlock" at the bottom of the screen (only a part of the right side of the screen is readable)
But now "adb devices" does not find a device any more. I connected the USB cable after the twrp menu showed up and I also killed adb.exe from the task manager before trying it.

Any idea what I can do to access the phone?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would like to present you my little program written in Visual Basic.
    This tool lets you use your device through your Windows pc even if your touchscreen doesn't work or you can't see anything.
    It uses droid@Screen, which wasn't made by me.

UPDATE!!! Full touchscreen support!
    You need to have usb debugging enabled.
    Enable usb debugging via recovery:
    Code:
    Adb shell
    echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >>/system/build.prop
    echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >>/system/build.prop
    echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mass_storage,adb" >>/system/build.prop"
    reboot

for people who dont have adb enabled, i suggest you contact a kernel developer to automatically enable it in the default.prop and sideload the kernel in recovery!
    i enabled adb via the default.prop and compiled the kernel and flashed in recovery(sideload).

HmKqklH.png

gakavu1.png

Links:
    Source code: http://goo.gl/fgLHWx use the github link
    GitHub: https://github.com/kjanku1/WindowsApplication1
    The tool itself: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5...=sharing&resourcekey=0--HHg4Q8nZqze3N1TYZ1irA
    Mirror 1: http://www.4shared.com/file/-QVlYf0tba/Android_Control.html - old version
    Mirror 2: http://d-h.st/iJO

PREMIUM (donation) version with vnc support (TightVNC and VNC server)

http://goo.gl/XWYpEy

Linux port by ternes3

Source Code:
    reBT-SOFT: https://git.rebtsoft.de/open-source/touchcontrol-for-android/tree/master
    GitHub: https://github.com/ternes3/TouchControl-for-Android

Binary:
    MEGA: https://mega.co.nz/#!0051URJA!O7RF_JNQcZ0-s13lEEJtCd3_Tv4pAznX9duy97Ru6aQ

WINDOWS XP version!!! thanks to Senior Member smogf
    https://mega.co.nz/#!xJJQjTLR!S29tJrWxrtmxc2DNTm1cZrGkV-jdtxAqCBJco9dhQSg

Youtube video

**to do:
    Swipe to unlock for more screen resolutions (currently only 764x1280) Done, Please update
    Pattern unlock Done
    Caps Lock
    More swipe gestures
    Full touchscreen support Done

No installation needed.

FAQ

Enable USB debugging
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=66731042&postcount=260 thanks to @Msmtx

Secure ADB ("unclickable" pop-up)workaround
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=66731042&postcount=260 thanks to @Msmtx

File missing errors
    Just close it and open it again.

Swipe option not working?
    Download the latest version or post the resolution of your phone.

Other issues
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=65891140&postcount=255 thanks to @Scooby00

If you have any problem, ask me anything.
    This is a quote from @Msmtx who has accomplished, what seemed impossible for some, however he's not allowed to post here yet, I'm posting it so more people can profit from this.

Msmtx said:
    To activate USB debugging AND workaround Secure ADB on Android versions 4.2+:
    1. Boot to recovery through hardware buttons
    2. Run adb shell
    3. Mount system and data partitions (in my case, on TWRP: twrp mount system && twrp mount data)
    4. Input into adb shell:
      Code:
      echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> default.prop 
      echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> default.prop
      echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> default.prop
      echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> /system/build.prop 
      echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> /system/build.prop
      echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> /system/build.prop
    5. On Windows, go to "%USERPROFILE%/.android", open adbkey.pub with Notepad or your text editor of preference and copy all of the file's content (CTRL+A and CTRL+C from Notepad and standard editors)
    6. Back to adb shell:
      Code:
      echo "<paste key here>" >> /data/misc/adb/adb_keys
      reboot
      -- on standard CMD you can paste by right-clicking the title bar> Edit> Paste, or just right-clicking if you have "Quick Edit mode" enabled in CMD's properties.
    thanks for the tool mate! i hope to see it cross compiled for linux soon aswell :)
    Good ! I'm try it.
    Hi all,

Thanks for this thread this helped me a lot.
    Device is a samsung S4 t-mobile variant.

The only trick is that on recovery, i'm using latest twrp, i needed to mount system in order to see the build.prop file.

notice. Device screen is totally broken, doesnt turn on. i was able to accomplish this without it.

HTML:
    adb shell
    mount system

after this then i proceeded with whats on the OP.

Thanks again.

Update: it works but i get the Unauthorized device on adb shell, not i need to find out how to enable this since i can use the touch screen.
    Update2: I was able to get an rsa key from another samsung s4 that was connected to the same computer, "adb_keys" is located in /data/misc/adb/
    1. you must be rooted to take the adb_keys file from the phone that works. With es explorer "enabled root explorer" and i was able to see this file.
    2. once you get a copy of adb_keys, reboot the phone with broken screen into recovery, adb recovery should work. im using twrp.
    3.adb push <location of file>rsa_keys /data/misc/adb/
    4. adb reboot and once the phone bots up voila! adb shell should be able to see the phone now.

i hope this helps someone like it did to me.