UMS Mounter

Search This thread
Hi all,

First thread here :D.

So, on with it. I've been a member on this forum for quite some time, but never felt like posting or anything as I didn't have anything interesting to share and all the questions I might've got at some point got already answered...
Anyway, about a year a go I bought a Samsung Galaxy S III. Cute little 'monster', powerful and all... and I got hit by MTP. I'm a Linux user, so getting MTP to work was a huge pain. So I started reading, digging, found out that some guys already implemented some scripts for mounting the external SD as UMS... the problem was that they didn't work on my end.
So I developed my own little app. Nothin' fancy, two buttons to switch from MTP to UMS and back.
In the meanwhile, I changed my phone to a Note 2 LTE and did some more tweaking on my app and now I'm kinda ready to share it with you guys:laugh:.

You need to have a rooted phone equipped with busybox (my app will prompt warnings telling you you're not rooted or you don't have busybox, but I thought it was nice to tell you here the requirements).
One small thing, besides the usual "I'm not responsible to any damages brought to your phone and all": after transferring to / from your SD card, please use the eject command (or the safety remove feature on Windows) to unbind the card from your operating system before changing back to UMS. That way you ensure no harm is brought to you SD card or to the data on it.

All that being said, you can download the app from here: devver.ro/ums-mounter/ (I don't have enough posts to give an external link, so you'll have to enter the text manually in your browser). The text on that page is written both in Romanian (my native language) and English so there shouldn't be any problems :p.

This app should work on every device that has an SD card and runs Android 4.3+. Oh yeah, there might be some glitches on devices with Samsung's official releases (bummer, I know), but that's related to some screw-ups on their end, 'cause they're random from ROM to ROM.

Anyway, hope you'll like it (if you test it). If you have and problems, comment here and attach a logcat and I'll see if I'm smart enough to help you.

== 2014-06-10 ==
Version 1.1 :)
Changes:
- please uninstall the previous version, as I've changed the signature on the file :);
- added a small sanity check which will force you to unplug your phone from the computer before switching between modes (hopefully this will also force you to safely remove the external sd card :p );
- fixed (i hope at least) the situation where the card is not mounted as usb on Touchwizz related ROMs;
As usual, the app can be downloaded from devver.ro/ums-mounter. Thanks again for testing :).

Last edited:

ectv96

Sep 15, 2012
Surabaya
your app said that i haven't installed busybox yet. then i tried to install busybox from play store and it said the same. what problem? :confused:

your app said that i haven't installed busybox yet. then i tried to install busybox from play store and it said the same. what problem? :confused:

I've used play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=stericson.busybox to install busybox. Basically, after you install the app from the play store, you need to open it in order for it to actually download and install the busybox binaries. If you just downloaded the app from play store but didn't actually open it, that may be the problem :)

ectv96

Sep 15, 2012
Surabaya
I've used play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=stericson.busybox to install busybox. Basically, after you install the app from the play store, you need to open it in order for it to actually download and install the busybox binaries. If you just downloaded the app from play store but didn't actually open it, that may be the problem :)

oh yes, it works. thankyou :good::laugh:

@erljayp: i get about a maximum of 2 MB/s transferring a file bigger than 50-100 MB, which I find quite satisfying. Also, if I'm not mistaking, the transfer rates are influences by a lot of factors: the card's class, if you're transferring a lot of small files (mp3's, for example) etc.
Anyway, glad that sorted your problem. Like I said before, my app should now work not only on the DN3, but on all ROMs (CM11 based, AOSP, AOKP, ROM's based on the stock Samsung release). If you find a ROM that won't work, Iemme know and I'll see what's to be done about it :).

Reactions: erljayp
You want me to run this # mount in terminal emulator and give you the results ?

Should i be connected to PC or not ?

You don't have to be connected to the computer. Try and run the following in the terminal emulator:

- su (if you didn't);
- mount > /sdcard/mount.log

And after that, on your internal storage you shall find a file called mount.log. Give me the contents of that file, please.

Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory.

I think you ran the command including the dash ("-" sign).

Perhaps i didn't express myself well enough, sorry...
1). su (for gaining root access, no matter if you're doing this from the terminal emulator or from your pc);
2). mount > /sdcard/mount.log

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

First thread here :D.

So, on with it. I've been a member on this forum for quite some time, but never felt like posting or anything as I didn't have anything interesting to share and all the questions I might've got at some point got already answered...
    Anyway, about a year a go I bought a Samsung Galaxy S III. Cute little 'monster', powerful and all... and I got hit by MTP. I'm a Linux user, so getting MTP to work was a huge pain. So I started reading, digging, found out that some guys already implemented some scripts for mounting the external SD as UMS... the problem was that they didn't work on my end.
    So I developed my own little app. Nothin' fancy, two buttons to switch from MTP to UMS and back.
    In the meanwhile, I changed my phone to a Note 2 LTE and did some more tweaking on my app and now I'm kinda ready to share it with you guys:laugh:.

You need to have a rooted phone equipped with busybox (my app will prompt warnings telling you you're not rooted or you don't have busybox, but I thought it was nice to tell you here the requirements).
    One small thing, besides the usual "I'm not responsible to any damages brought to your phone and all": after transferring to / from your SD card, please use the eject command (or the safety remove feature on Windows) to unbind the card from your operating system before changing back to UMS. That way you ensure no harm is brought to you SD card or to the data on it.

All that being said, you can download the app from here: devver.ro/ums-mounter/ (I don't have enough posts to give an external link, so you'll have to enter the text manually in your browser). The text on that page is written both in Romanian (my native language) and English so there shouldn't be any problems :p.

This app should work on every device that has an SD card and runs Android 4.3+. Oh yeah, there might be some glitches on devices with Samsung's official releases (bummer, I know), but that's related to some screw-ups on their end, 'cause they're random from ROM to ROM.

Anyway, hope you'll like it (if you test it). If you have and problems, comment here and attach a logcat and I'll see if I'm smart enough to help you.

== 2014-06-10 ==
    Version 1.1 :)
    Changes:
    - please uninstall the previous version, as I've changed the signature on the file :);
    - added a small sanity check which will force you to unplug your phone from the computer before switching between modes (hopefully this will also force you to safely remove the external sd card :p );
    - fixed (i hope at least) the situation where the card is not mounted as usb on Touchwizz related ROMs;
    As usual, the app can be downloaded from devver.ro/ums-mounter. Thanks again for testing :).
    @erljayp: that's one ROM which is based on a stock ROM and, as I mentioned in my OP, there might be glitches woth 'em.
    I'll setup my phone into dual booting so that's gonna be a bit easier to test these ROMs and hopefully sort them out.
    Thanks for testing my little app:)
    @erljayp: i get about a maximum of 2 MB/s transferring a file bigger than 50-100 MB, which I find quite satisfying. Also, if I'm not mistaking, the transfer rates are influences by a lot of factors: the card's class, if you're transferring a lot of small files (mp3's, for example) etc.
    Anyway, glad that sorted your problem. Like I said before, my app should now work not only on the DN3, but on all ROMs (CM11 based, AOSP, AOKP, ROM's based on the stock Samsung release). If you find a ROM that won't work, Iemme know and I'll see what's to be done about it :).