Voice Dialer Replacement

Search This thread

brucegil

Aug 3, 2010
Birmingham
When I upgraded to ICS, I (and everyone else) lost the built-in voice dialer in Android 2.3.4. See the Vivid General forum for details on this. I tried Vlingo, and it worked okay most of the time, but it required a lot of steps. So, I tried Cyberon Voice Commander and was pleased with how well it worked and how closely it matched the original voice dialer when connected to my car's audio system via bluetooth. See my post for more details.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24400306#post24400306

There may be other apps that work, so I am not saying this is the only one.

Reactions: slimslim

brucegil

Aug 3, 2010
Birmingham
Wild child has voice dialer working on ICS:)

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I saw posts on that. However, because of all the "crash and burn" posts from people trying to install custom ROMs, I think I'm going to wait a while. There is still too much transition right now between GB and ICS, and with S-Off possibly coming "soon."

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

megatronisabeast

Apr 16, 2011
Yes, I saw posts on that. However, because of all the "crash and burn" posts from people trying to install custom ROMs, I think I'm going to wait a while. There is still too much transition right now between GB and ICS, and with S-Off possibly coming "soon."

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

That is due to people not understanding the process of flashing a ROM, kernel, etc. There are video guides, written directions, and people who can help to flash correctly. It is real simple if you read and know what to do.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

willgill

Aug 8, 2007
Dallas
That is due to people not understanding the process of flashing a ROM, kernel, etc. There are video guides, written directions, and people who can help to flash correctly. It is real simple if you read and know what to do.

Megatron, didn't you recently have issues? I could have sworn I saw a post of yours. I understand the apprehension of flashing a whole Rom.

Personally, I haven't found much of a use for root or cusMy ICS is dialed in except for voice dial. I just want an app.

robertmoore208

Mar 30, 2011
Post Falls
Megatron, didn't you recently have issues? I could have sworn I saw a post of yours. I understand the apprehension of flashing a whole Rom.

Personally, I haven't found much of a use for root or cusMy ICS is dialed in except for voice dial. I just want an app.

I use "IRIS" or "EVA" both are like siri, but Eva takes some getting used to...

megatronisabeast

Apr 16, 2011

No issues here, although I have posted a lot to help others who are having trouble! I can understand how with limited knowledge it can be scary to root your phone, flash a rom, etc. but only if you didn't read up on what you are doing and rush through the steps. Before I got this phone I read about the steps and then when I got it felt comfortable and did everything. I know enough now that if something did happen I could get out of the problem without help.

robertmoore208

Mar 30, 2011
Post Falls
To each his own IMO, if he wants to wait its the choice he's made ... But I do believe that myself , MEGATRON and most of WC'S illegitimate children could update h-boot or flash a new Rom blindfolded or heavily intoxicated lol, its gotten that easy

willgill

Aug 8, 2007
Dallas
I've flashed the phone two times, unlocked and rooted. It has become much easier. I frankly don't want to set the phone up again.

Also, with custom ROMs you usually trade one problem for another. They usually aren't perfect.

BTW, thanks megatronisabeast for all your help to others.

willgill

Aug 8, 2007
Dallas
I hate to grave dig old topics but this is really bugging me. Again, I have stock ICS so dialed in. I am trying to avoid flashing.

Skyvi has actually come a LONG way towards becoming a Siri-esque app. It just won't wake or activate from a BT headset.

What is everyone lease doing? Flashing custom ROM?

XRCIST

Sep 11, 2010
Bump for this.
Anyone found a solution to voice dial on Vivid ICS?

Well, I installed Cyberon Voice Speed Dial and it works well as a voice dialer for bluetooth devices. My Parrot car kit dials really well with it installed on the phone.

Not sure if this is what you were originally after but hope it helps.

Cheers

poncespr

Jul 22, 2007
Vega Baja
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Well, I installed Cyberon Voice Speed Dial and it works well as a voice dialer for bluetooth devices. My Parrot car kit dials really well with it installed on the phone.

Not sure if this is what you were originally after but hope it helps.

Cheers

I tried Cyberon Voice Command, but, while I can activate it by bluetooth, I still have to speak directly to the phone. Tried with different bluetooth sets, still the same. Will try VSP.
Thanks.

willgill

Aug 8, 2007
Dallas
Hey frustrated voice dialing crew!

Last night I stumbled upon Voice Control by Luka Kama. There's a free version called Voice Control Test.

Its contact recognition is pretty accurate. It can also do voice to text. For me, the downside is it tries to do too much. It is expanding to Siri-like functionality which I find pointless. It also has a LED graphic like Knight Rider's KITT which is retro-wierd.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When I upgraded to ICS, I (and everyone else) lost the built-in voice dialer in Android 2.3.4. See the Vivid General forum for details on this. I tried Vlingo, and it worked okay most of the time, but it required a lot of steps. So, I tried Cyberon Voice Commander and was pleased with how well it worked and how closely it matched the original voice dialer when connected to my car's audio system via bluetooth. See my post for more details.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24400306#post24400306

There may be other apps that work, so I am not saying this is the only one.