[Q] Need help with t989d unbricking

Search This thread

Suraido

Mar 12, 2014
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums as a member, but used this for info since a few years back. Ok, so i've spent the past week trying to unbrick a samsung galaxy s2x (t989d on telus or koodo) and it seems alot of people are having trouble with this model. I've brought back another one identical to this one before, but it was only softbricked, so i could still enter download mode and use odin and just searched my butt off to find original roms and all and wound up bringing it back to life.

This one though... It's hard bricked with the dreaded QHSUSB_DLOAD mode. Found drivers for it to use it in windows, found QPST 2.7 build 422 and tried that to no avail since QPST always tells me the HEX files have a scrambling method which cannot be determined (even with it's own hex files that come with it, and tried on 2 different computers, one x86, one x64) so still stuck there. Tried ADB in windows but it never wanted to work in any way, also tried ADB with ubuntu linux but the devices list always ends up empty no matter how hard i try and what i change, even with other phones that are not bricked it won't list them at all... Also tried to use the SD card method and push an image on it to try and boot off the external SD using original rom from odin i have found, but have no idea exactly which image i need to push into the SD or if it need modification in any way to be able to boot like that, or if even the t989d does in fact truly support external SD card booting.

Before anyone says:" Ya you need to JTAG that, it's the only method..." First, no one around here has anything to jtag with and i don't want to cross the border to get it done, second this is the kind of job i need to get done without spending any money if at all possible cause phone is not mine and client on a restricted budget. Now i know this CAN be done as alot of people here and there were able to fix their phone that were on the same qualcomm series chipsets. I just need some help to do this on this phone, and any SERIOUS help would be apreciated.

I have access to original rom file for the particular MC4 version i have in hand, i have original rom file for another version of the 989d which i got to unbrick the first t989d a friend sent me, i have a NVbackup qcn file pulled out of my firends working t989d, and i also have a full backup made with TWRP on my friend's working phone. Wanted to pull out a better backup using darkspr1te's Brixfix-2-1 tool but like i said, in windows ADB wont work in any way even with python installed and all that, drivers also installed, but ADB isn't a recognised command. And in Ubuntu, no way to list any phone at all, even if i installed all the ADB files, JDK, did the whole rules file, changed attributes to the rules file, did the .ini file, and killed and restarded hdev and server... So i'm kind of at witts end right now, plus i've been sick and had a major headache for the past 2 days, and spent so far around 38 hours on this phone plus my normal job this week... So ANY help would be GREATLY apreciated, and i will gladly use this experience to help out the community and help put out a tool or whatever to unbrick all these damned t989d :p

Just le me know if you need any more info or files to help out and i will gladly do all i can to comply :)

Thank you in advance to this great community :)

Suraido

Mar 12, 2014
Update: I have finally been able to start to get somewhere with this. I was able to extract most of the MBN files needed for QPST from the stock rom, and created my own partition.mbn out of a PIT file i had from a previous t989d. And now i get the phone to accept download and don't get errors for those files, but it stays stuck when sending reset packets. So my guess is that either the partition.mbn file isn't good, or the mprg8660.hex file i used to substitute and test isn't 100% compatible with the MSM8260 chipset. I tried all i could but never was able to find the real mprg8260.hex file anywhere. So if anyone has mprg8260.hex and/or a working partition.mbn for the t989d, i would be grateful to get those so i can continue troubleshooting this and get it working. If you want any of the MBN files and everything i have so far, just send a PM or reply to this thread and i will gladly upload for you. :)

Lord Zog

Feb 22, 2011
Gatineau
Don't use the 8660 hex, it might make it go out of DLOAD or SD mode and you'll get a HS-USB 9005 state instead of a HS-USB 9008 or a HS-USB 9006 state, and then you'll need to manually flash it while it reboots every 5 secs in factory recovery mode. Not fun stuff. Also, if you're playing in QPST, make sure you using 2.7.411 or later. :) And be careful. there is a 2.7.422 that is actually an old version with a Trojan floating around.. Also, be warned, If you don't know what your doing in QPST, you can make things a lot worse.

Suraido

Mar 12, 2014
Don't use the 8660 hex, it might make it go out of DLOAD or SD mode and you'll get a HS-USB 9005 state instead of a HS-USB 9008 or a HS-USB 9006 state, and then you'll need to manually flash it while it reboots every 5 secs in factory recovery mode. Not fun stuff. Also, if you're playing in QPST, make sure you using 2.7.411 or later. :) And be careful. there is a 2.7.422 that is actually an old version with a Trojan floating around.. Also, be warned, If you don't know what your doing in QPST, you can make things a lot worse.

So far i had no problems using 8660hex, only stays on 9008 download mode so far, even after it's supposed to pop back to diag mode. And i AM using 2.7.422 but it doesn't seem to have a trojan or anything or else my anti-virus would've told me, but still kinda looks like an old version since most of the devices supported are the old ones and has nothing newer than 7XXX series on protocol modes in the settings menu. But like i said, so far i got it to respond with the 8660 and accept the mbn files, but still no change yet, still wont reset/reboot, still wont turn on or anything, just stays in download mode seen as a 9008. So i'll check to find 2.7.411 to try it out and see if does anything else. Even if it would reboot every 5 secs in factory recovery mode it would still be a step further than i am now :p right now it does nothing and stays in download mode. :p But thanx alot for the info!! :)

Voyebanm

Oct 29, 2012
Ottawa
So far i had no problems using 8660hex, only stays on 9008 download mode so far, even after it's supposed to pop back to diag mode. And i AM using 2.7.422 but it doesn't seem to have a trojan or anything or else my anti-virus would've told me, but still kinda looks like an old version since most of the devices supported are the old ones and has nothing newer than 7XXX series on protocol modes in the settings menu. But like i said, so far i got it to respond with the 8660 and accept the mbn files, but still no change yet, still wont reset/reboot, still wont turn on or anything, just stays in download mode seen as a 9008. So i'll check to find 2.7.411 to try it out and see if does anything else. Even if it would reboot every 5 secs in factory recovery mode it would still be a step further than i am now :p right now it does nothing and stays in download mode. :p But thanx alot for the info!! :)

hi,

were you able to resolve this ? I have the Skyrocket (I727R) and i was wondering if you could share the files and possibly how you fixed this problem,
any help would be appreciated.

thanks