[ACC]Ultimate Sony Smartwatch INFO thread (MN2)

Search This thread

dansharpy

Dec 29, 2010
smartwatch-main-image-620x440.png

There seems to be a few threads regarding the new Sony Smartwatch so i thought it might be a good idea to correlate all the info into one handy thread! If you have any tips/tricks/apps or general info you think should be included then post below! If any of the info helps you dont forget the thanks button and rate the thread!!

Reviews

XDA Smartwatch Impressions Thread- HERE

XDA member review by PVTD- Very good review HERE

Apps

OFFICIAL APPS:
  • Liveware Manager- Your watch wont work without this!- MARKET LINK
  • Smartwatch- You have to have this for the smartwatch to work!!- MARKET LINK
  • Phonebook Smart Extras- Phonebook manager- MARKET LINK
  • Music Player Smart Extras- Control your music from your watch!- MARKET LINK
  • Weather Widget Smart Extras- Shows you the current weather and forecast for your current or a set location- MARKET LINK
  • Sony Smart Extras for Facebook- Keep up to date with your Facebook friends on the go- MARKET LINK
  • Messaging Smart Extras- View your text messages on your watch- MARKET LINK
  • Call Handling Smart Extras- Mute, answer or reject incoming calls- MARKET LINK
  • Find Phone Smart Extras- Make your phone ring and vibrate so you can find it easier- MARKET LINK
  • Missed Call Smart Extras- Notifies you of missed calls- MARKET LINK
  • Calendar Reminder Smart Extras- Notifies you of upcoming calendar events- MARKET LINK
  • Sony Smart Extras Twitter- Stay up to date with all things Twitter- MARKET LINK
  • Email Smart Extras- Notifies of new emails (only works on SONY phones!)- MARKET LINK
  • Slideshow Smart Extras- View a slideshow of your recent pics- MARKET LINK
  • Gmail Smart Extras- Get notified of new Gmails and view the first few lines of it- MARKET LINK
UNOFFICIAL APPS:
  • XDA member Beowolf has made some excellent apps, see his thread HERE
  • Custom watch for Smartwatch- A replacement watch app that allows you to keep the screen on (so you can use it like a watch!) Even with dim there is a big battery drain though!- MARKET LINK
  • Notifysmartwatch- An app to send any notifications from any app to your smartwatch. Customise number and length of vibrations.- MARKET LINK Thanks to Mousey for the tip!!
  • Vibrate Alarm- An alpha app by our very own XDA member Pacosal. When set the app will display a notification to say the alarm is set. When the time comes it will vibrate every 8 seconds until you stop it.- POST HERE
  • Watchit!- This app can send notifications from any app installed on your phone to your smartwatch. Easy to set up and tweak, you choose which apps send what!- MARKET LINK
  • Spy for Smartwatch- This app is another from Pacosal. Swipe watch to start audio recording, swipe again to save file to SD. Simple and effective!- MARKET LINK

Tips
  • Double tap the strap or screen to turn the screen on
  • If you shake it hard enough the screen will turn on
  • There are currently no ways to keep the screen on or alter the timeout (other than 'Custom watch for Smartwatch')
  • You can now choose either an analogue or digital watch that stays on when the smartwatch detects motion (will use battery faster!)
  • To completely reset the watch (for instance if you're having trouble pairing/flashed a new rom etc.) Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds. When you turn it back on it should show the watch and phone with a syncing arrows in between them.
  • Process for a full reset (basically like you just got it out of the box!)
    1- Remove smartwatch app from phone by going to setting->apps->smartwatch->uninstall
    2- Unpair the smartwatch from phone by going to settings->bluetooth->smartwatch->unpair
    3- Reset smartwatch by following the above tip (hold power button for 15 secs)
    To re-pair the devices make sure liveware manager is installed on your phone, re-pair, download smartwatch app when prompted.
Any tips you have which you think are cool, please post so i can put them here!!​

Updates / Changelogs
05/07/2012-
Smartwatch (watch)- 0.1.A.3.7
Smartwatch (app)- 1.2.37

Changelog-
  • Various bug fixes

04/06/2012- SOME PEOPLE ARE STILL EXPERIENCING RANDOM REBOOTS AFTER THIS UPDATE, UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
Smartwatch (watch)- 0.1.A.3.4
Smartwatch (app)- 1.2.34

Changelog-
  • Bug fixes (issues still remain for some)

30/05/2012- SOME PEOPLE ARE EXPERIENCING RANDOM REBOOTS AFTER THIS UPDATE, UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
Smartwatch (watch)- 0.1.A.3.3
Smartwatch (app)- 1.2.33

Changelog-
  • New UI for the smartwatch app in liveware manager. Now seperate sections for apps, clocks, sorts apps, sort widgets, usage tips and about.
  • The 'Clocks' section has new clocks!! The standard one as before. a new digital and analogue clock which will stay visible for as long as the watch detects movement.
  • Active notifications. When the gmail, messaging icon etc. notification shows on the screen you can tap on it to go directly to that notification! (instead of having to unlock and go to new events.)
  • Usage tips section shows tips on using the smartwatch using animations.
  • Battery indicator is now always visible when charging!

Requested apps:
1-Some sort of watch screen lock so others cant view personal messages when its not on my wrist.
2- Watch app that starts the audio recording or video recording on my phone through the watch interface.- SEE SPY FOR SMARTWATCH ABOVE

Ill update this thread when i can and will hopefully add new apps as they become available on the market. If you think there's something missing from this thread then please let me know!! :)

Last edited:

dansharpy

Dec 29, 2010
Today i got my smart watch and i noticed something.The menu style has changed its no longer 4 cons on one screen instead it shows only one app at a time more like the original live view!.....its actually quiet nice ......as the area is big its easy to touch...:)

Are you sure you're not in the Widgets screens? Try swiping up and see if it takes you to the app screens then!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

dansharpy

Dec 29, 2010
Ive just received a new update to the smartwatch app and the smartwatch itself!

New features include:

New UI for the smartwatch app in liveware manager. Now seperate sections for apps, clocks, sorts apps, sort widgets, usage tips and about.

The 'Clocks' section has new clocks!! The standard one as before. a new digital and analogue clock which will stay visible for as long as the watch detects movement.

Active notifications. When the gmail, messaging icon etc. notification shows on the screen you can tap on it to go directly to that notification! (instead of having to unlock and go to new events.)

Have you noticed anything else? Let me know and ill add it to the OP!!

Latest version is:
Smartwatch (app)- 1.2.33

matej1990

Feb 4, 2010
Maribor
I hope Sony will be releasing updates more often! The last update was very welcomed. Hope it fixes my problems with battery indicator... watch was showing battery charging status, although I was wearing it and not charging. :rolleyes:

One correction: "Double tap the strap or display to turn the screen on"

Also...
  • Analog clock is useless. It has no numbers (3,6,9,12).
  • Small digital clock changes one position down every minute (it has 3 positions: upper, middle, lower). Same is with battery charging indicator!
  • Battery indicator is now always visible when charging! <-- unfortunately this is THE best feature in this update!
  • Previously I could turn the display completely off with the button (clock screen -> press button -> screen turns off), but now it's impossible. Pressing the button causes looping between clock screen and aplications/widgets. Sony why are you removing functions... =(

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark ter Grote

NSider

Apr 16, 2007
Khobar
The update broke my dad's SmartWatch - it's restarting as soon as it connects to his One X. I tried it on my One X and I couldn't even find it via bluetooth!

Tried to restart the watch in every way possible, unpaired it with my dad's phone, reistalled the LiveWare and SmartWatch apps.. no use.

I see from the Play Store comments that some people are suffering from the same issue with Galaxy S2 and Sensation 4G. Any suggestions?

dansharpy

Dec 29, 2010
The update broke my dad's SmartWatch - it's restarting as soon as it connects to his One X. I tried it on my One X and I couldn't even find it via bluetooth!

Tried to restart the watch in every way possible, unpaired it with my dad's phone, reistalled the LiveWare and SmartWatch apps.. no use.

I see from the Play Store comments that some people are suffering from the same issue with Galaxy S2 and Sensation 4G. Any suggestions?

That is weird because im on the One X as well. have you tried holding the power button (whilst the screen is on) for 15 seconds? That will hard reset the watch. Id do this:

1. uninstall the smartwatch and liveware apps from his One X
2. Reboot phone.
3. Hold power button for 15 seconds to hard reset watch.
4. reinstall liveware app
5. Pair phone with smartwatch again, reinstall smartwatch app.

Hopefully that will sort it! :)

NSider

Apr 16, 2007
Khobar
That is weird because im on the One X as well. have you tried holding the power button (whilst the screen is on) for 15 seconds? That will hard reset the watch. Id do this:

1. uninstall the smartwatch and liveware apps from his One X
2. Reboot phone.
3. Hold power button for 15 seconds to hard reset watch.
4. reinstall liveware app
5. Pair phone with smartwatch again, reinstall smartwatch app.

Hopefully that will sort it! :)
Thanks, but I tried all that and it's no use. :(

pwalz

Dec 2, 2008
Paris
Excellent watch for me but it really miss a true email app (and not only fo Sony smartphones).
I've seen the K9 mail app but K9 don't work with Exchange 2010 servers (i've tried !)
The update of today is great (active notifications, differents clocks...).
I hope someone will create another email app ! :)

dansharpy

Dec 29, 2010
This morning (May 31 2012), I awoke to a new version of the SmartWatch software. It offered to push new firmware to the device. After the flash (which went normally), the watch reboots EVERY time the screen wakes up. The market is full of people who are furious.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonyericsson.extras.smartwatch

-Ryan

Updated op. Thanks for the info, sorry your having problems. Weird how its not affecting all of them.

Bertobert

May 31, 2012
Same here - update broke the watch

Same here.
Updated this morning - everything went well. But after the update the watch disconnectes and reboots all the time.

I realized the following behaviour - I am able to start the watch and then it tries to sync with the phone. After a while the screen goes blank. But if I wake it up now the screen flickers twice & it reboots with the "Sony" display.
Same thing when I receive a notification - so a connection between the phone (Xperia S) and the watch is actually established.

I chatted with some guy from Sony support & he told me to contact my dealer to get a replacement (I just got it yesterday) :(
I figure I will wait a few days if there is an update and if that does not help I will get a replacement for it is still in warranty.

L

love.lgv.tx

Has anyone used the Ultimate Watch add on (referenced in the OP). It's the app that keeps the clock on the screen at all times. If so, do you have any experience to share about the battery life when using this app?

gtdRR

Mar 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Has anyone used the Ultimate Watch add on (referenced in the OP). It's the app that keeps the clock on the screen at all times. If so, do you have any experience to share about the battery life when using this app?

I have used it. Unfortunately for me, it was a huge drain on battery. Watch wouldn't last even one day while using that watch app with the screen on setting.

Francesco72arc

Jun 2, 2012
Smartwatch

Hi at all of forum, i'm new here!: D

I have smartwatch and i have a question: in some images of it there is a BELL in the upper left, there is a app for the bell?sounds a alarm?

antipaq

Apr 29, 2007
BCN
Hi at all of forum, i'm new here!: D

I have smartwatch and i have a question: in some images of it there is a BELL in the upper left, there is a app for the bell?sounds a alarm?

Hi Francesco !
That would be good. The SmartWatch can't make a sound. Not have a Speaker
I haven't seen the bell.: Confused:

dansharpy

Dec 29, 2010

I've used this as well before the latest update. Really liked all the different styles but massive drain on the battery, even after the latest update which made it dim. Battery wouldn't last more than about 4 hours :eek: with the latest smartwatch update there is an option to have the clock showing all the time natively (digital or analogue), again drains the battery quicker but lasts a bit longer with this method!

@Francesco I think the bell icon is used to show that you have an alarm set if I remember correctly. Not sure though as I don't use the built in alarm app. Welcome to the forum! :D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

userfriendlyme

I've had the Sony smart watch a few weeks now got it as a bday gift and I love it. Dec better then there first live view watch it stays connected and works as it suppose to. I luckily had no issues with the new update I received a couple days ago. I like the new watch on feature although it does drain. The battery faster. It at least last through the day but I'm OK with not having it on and tapping the screen when I need to. The battery last me a week when its set normally.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    smartwatch-main-image-620x440.png

There seems to be a few threads regarding the new Sony Smartwatch so i thought it might be a good idea to correlate all the info into one handy thread! If you have any tips/tricks/apps or general info you think should be included then post below! If any of the info helps you dont forget the thanks button and rate the thread!!

Reviews

XDA Smartwatch Impressions Thread- HERE

XDA member review by PVTD- Very good review HERE

Apps

OFFICIAL APPS:
    • Liveware Manager- Your watch wont work without this!- MARKET LINK
    • Smartwatch- You have to have this for the smartwatch to work!!- MARKET LINK
    • Phonebook Smart Extras- Phonebook manager- MARKET LINK
    • Music Player Smart Extras- Control your music from your watch!- MARKET LINK
    • Weather Widget Smart Extras- Shows you the current weather and forecast for your current or a set location- MARKET LINK
    • Sony Smart Extras for Facebook- Keep up to date with your Facebook friends on the go- MARKET LINK
    • Messaging Smart Extras- View your text messages on your watch- MARKET LINK
    • Call Handling Smart Extras- Mute, answer or reject incoming calls- MARKET LINK
    • Find Phone Smart Extras- Make your phone ring and vibrate so you can find it easier- MARKET LINK
    • Missed Call Smart Extras- Notifies you of missed calls- MARKET LINK
    • Calendar Reminder Smart Extras- Notifies you of upcoming calendar events- MARKET LINK
    • Sony Smart Extras Twitter- Stay up to date with all things Twitter- MARKET LINK
    • Email Smart Extras- Notifies of new emails (only works on SONY phones!)- MARKET LINK
    • Slideshow Smart Extras- View a slideshow of your recent pics- MARKET LINK
    • Gmail Smart Extras- Get notified of new Gmails and view the first few lines of it- MARKET LINK
    UNOFFICIAL APPS:
    • XDA member Beowolf has made some excellent apps, see his thread HERE
    • Custom watch for Smartwatch- A replacement watch app that allows you to keep the screen on (so you can use it like a watch!) Even with dim there is a big battery drain though!- MARKET LINK
    • Notifysmartwatch- An app to send any notifications from any app to your smartwatch. Customise number and length of vibrations.- MARKET LINK Thanks to Mousey for the tip!!
    • Vibrate Alarm- An alpha app by our very own XDA member Pacosal. When set the app will display a notification to say the alarm is set. When the time comes it will vibrate every 8 seconds until you stop it.- POST HERE
    • Watchit!- This app can send notifications from any app installed on your phone to your smartwatch. Easy to set up and tweak, you choose which apps send what!- MARKET LINK
    • Spy for Smartwatch- This app is another from Pacosal. Swipe watch to start audio recording, swipe again to save file to SD. Simple and effective!- MARKET LINK

Tips
    • Double tap the strap or screen to turn the screen on
    • If you shake it hard enough the screen will turn on
    • There are currently no ways to keep the screen on or alter the timeout (other than 'Custom watch for Smartwatch')
    • You can now choose either an analogue or digital watch that stays on when the smartwatch detects motion (will use battery faster!)
    • To completely reset the watch (for instance if you're having trouble pairing/flashed a new rom etc.) Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds. When you turn it back on it should show the watch and phone with a syncing arrows in between them.
    • Process for a full reset (basically like you just got it out of the box!)
      1- Remove smartwatch app from phone by going to setting->apps->smartwatch->uninstall
      2- Unpair the smartwatch from phone by going to settings->bluetooth->smartwatch->unpair
      3- Reset smartwatch by following the above tip (hold power button for 15 secs)
      To re-pair the devices make sure liveware manager is installed on your phone, re-pair, download smartwatch app when prompted.
    Any tips you have which you think are cool, please post so i can put them here!!​

Updates / Changelogs
    05/07/2012-
    Smartwatch (watch)- 0.1.A.3.7
    Smartwatch (app)- 1.2.37

Changelog-
    • Various bug fixes

04/06/2012- SOME PEOPLE ARE STILL EXPERIENCING RANDOM REBOOTS AFTER THIS UPDATE, UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
    Smartwatch (watch)- 0.1.A.3.4
    Smartwatch (app)- 1.2.34

Changelog-
    • Bug fixes (issues still remain for some)

30/05/2012- SOME PEOPLE ARE EXPERIENCING RANDOM REBOOTS AFTER THIS UPDATE, UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
    Smartwatch (app)- 1.2.33

Changelog-
    • New UI for the smartwatch app in liveware manager. Now seperate sections for apps, clocks, sorts apps, sort widgets, usage tips and about.
    • The 'Clocks' section has new clocks!! The standard one as before. a new digital and analogue clock which will stay visible for as long as the watch detects movement.
    • Active notifications. When the gmail, messaging icon etc. notification shows on the screen you can tap on it to go directly to that notification! (instead of having to unlock and go to new events.)
    • Usage tips section shows tips on using the smartwatch using animations.
    • Battery indicator is now always visible when charging!

Requested apps:
    1-Some sort of watch screen lock so others cant view personal messages when its not on my wrist.
    2- Watch app that starts the audio recording or video recording on my phone through the watch interface.- SEE SPY FOR SMARTWATCH ABOVE

Ill update this thread when i can and will hopefully add new apps as they become available on the market. If you think there's something missing from this thread then please let me know!! :)
    Open SmartWatch Project

Open SmartWatch Project h ttp://developer.sonymobile.com/services/open-smartwatch-project/

Copy to Sony's web

"We are now taking the next step to open up SmartWatch. Previously, you’ve been able to create apps for SmartWatch with the Sony Add-on SDK, but now we hope to see even more innovation as we’re making it possible for advanced developers to create and flash alternative firmware, by sharing technical details and instructions.

However, before you create and flash alternative firmware to SmartWatch, it’s crucial that you read through the important information below.

Limitations
    Please note that by flashing alternative firmware to SmartWatch it will no longer work as intended. You will no longer be able to use SmartConnect or any compatible SmartWatch app available on Google Play™.

Important information – read this before flashing alternative firmware
    Please note that you may void the warranty of your device and/or any warranty from your operator if you flash alternative firmware to SmartWatch. See your device’s warranty statement for details. Additionally, due to the modified device software, Sony’s repair network will likely have to replace key components before it can properly test, repair and verify your device using our repair tools and software. Consequently, if Sony performs a warranty repair, Sony will likely charge you a significant service fee for the additional costs caused by your modification of the software.

Sony can no longer guarantee the full functionality of your device, and will not be responsible for any alternative firmware being put on the device. Certain functions on your device might cease to work, and performance might not be ideal. You might also damage your device permanently. In the worst case, flashing alternative firmware may cause physical injuries or material damage, for example, due to the device overheating.

With all of the above in mind, you should only flash alternative firmware to SmartWatch if you are an advanced developer with good knowledge of the technology and risks involved. We recommend standard users not to flash alternative firmware, as it is not needed. We are proud to deliver great software experiences through our rigorously tested and official software releases.

If you are fully aware of the risks involved, and if you are an experienced developer, you can continue to the flash alternative firmware to SmartWatch by following the instructions on the pages below."

I can't wait to see the first rom to Sony smartwatch
    ok here's detailed answers for you:
    • to make the smart watch vibrate when it disconnects from your phone: it already does it automatically
    • to make your phone ring: simply use Find Phone app, that's what it's built for
    • to use Tasker as alarm & lock trigger: keep reading below:
    Requirements:
    - a mobile phone
    - a Smart Watch (duh)
    - Tasker installed on your phone
    - Smart Connect app on your phone (it's required from the smart watch to manage the connection)

Short explanation:
    Smart Connect has the built-in events to do 'something' on an event triggering, such as bluetooth connection, mobile on charge, headphone connection, and so on.
    We'll use the bluetooth connection event to make Tasker lock/unlock the phone, and saying something out loud with the Google text-to-speech engine.

1. First off, open Tasker, go to Tasks and click on the '+' button to add one
    2. give it a name ( I used "lock") and continue
    3. on the Task Edit menu, press the '+' symbol to add the task, then click on 'Display' and then on 'Keyguard'
    4. set 'Set' on and go back to Task Edit [this enables the system lock, in case you keep it disable (as it happens for me)]
    5. now add Display -> System lock, without changing anything, and go back to Tasks menu [this switches the screen off]
    6. add a new task, name it ('unlock' would be nice), add Display -> Keyguard, and set it to 'off' [if you want the lock screen to be disabled, otherwise just skip this step]
    7. enough with Tasker, now open Smart Connect app, and click on the '+' button
    8. select 'Add device' and pick your smart watch (previously paired with your smartphone) and then click on the forward arrow
    9. now click on Start Action to select Start Shortcut and then Task Shortcut
    10. here you will pick the task Unlock (whatever you named it) to assign it to the Connection event
    11. do the same for the End Action, selecting the Lock task this time, then go forward to give this event a name, and Voilà!

Should you want to add a sound alarm you can either use Misc -> Say task in tasker, after point 3., or use Media -> Play Ringtone task.

if you want to try it, then on your smart watch go to settings and deactivate bluetooth to see what happens.

I hope it will be somehow helpful :)
    Hey,

Just to update I used the new call handling PRI app and it works perfectly. Emailed the DEV too about compatibility and he responded almost immediately, great app, great DEV, recommended 5*.

P.S is anyone else just astonished with the worlds final wakeup to wearable technology? I see topics on forums speculating about apple watches and the galaxy watch etc and even before the pebble came out and I just find myself thinking my smart watch cost less than £70 and it does all of that and more. Most underated piece of technology in recent years me thinks.

Johnny

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
    May I ask owners how they make use of the watch and how it is more convenient than using ones mobile direct? I want one but so far not even I can justify the watch as being of any practical use. I hope I am wrong,. Another major concern is understand the watch isn't even water resistant so taking it in the rain is out of the question? Needing to charge the phone every 1-3 days is also very odd for a watch don't you think? It appears very impractical?

I wanted to reply before reading other responses & getting biased by them.

My main reason for getting this watch: Not missing calls/texts/etc. I keep my phone in my pocket, but tried in a hip pouch for a while. Sadly, it only took a little outside noise to make it close to impossible to hear my phone, and even in my pocket I can't feel the vibration.

I work as an IT guy and I'm on call 24/7, so missing calls can be reaaal bad for me.

So I have my watch set up to vibrate on Phone, SMS, email. Now I don't miss calls in a loud environment (and with 3 little kids, that's a lot of places).

As an added bonus, I like flashing the latest roms, which can reboot - or flat out hang without knowing. I get the bonus here because the watch vibrates on loss of connection letting me know my phone is rebooting or locked up.

Any other watch features - including just telling time on it! - is just an extra bonus. I like the quick pick up on calls, and the quick email reply - but they are corner cases for me.

On charging - I'm used to charging my phone every night, so it was a quick & easy step to charge the watch nightly as well. I've missed a couple days, and it's nice to know I can miss a day or possibly two with no problems.

The cable stinks, btw - but a rubber band fixed the problem. Tacky, but it works.