[Q] Black Screen everything else works

Search This thread

nocode99

Dec 6, 2010
Hello,

My girlfriend recently dropped her S3 (no cracks) but now the LCD doesn't turn on. She's gotten a replacement, but I wanted to try and fix it so she can have a backup. Anybody know what I could look at? I've unscrewed the back portion and everything seems in tact. The home/back buttons light up, sound works, USB connection works, but nothing on the screen. I've searched around, but couldn't find anything relevant

Thanks!

nocode99

Dec 6, 2010
Well, I just noticed a very small faint crack in one of the corners of the LCD so that's probably the problem. Anyone know how to get the pictures off the phone? I've tried Samsung Kies but she had pattern password and I doubt the touch screen is working :/ I'm familiar with ADB also so not sure if there's a method I can use to extract that data

Da Kine

Apr 25, 2011
Santa Rosa, Ca
Well, I just noticed a very small faint crack in one of the corners of the LCD so that's probably the problem. Anyone know how to get the pictures off the phone? I've tried Samsung Kies but she had pattern password and I doubt the touch screen is working :/ I'm familiar with ADB also so not sure if there's a method I can use to extract that data

Shouldn't the pictures be on the SD card?
Do you both have a s3? If you both have one and they are both rooted and both have the non touch clockworkmod recovery, you could boot both into recovery and use yours as a visual to make a backup of the rom and data on hers which will save on the SD card.

But yes it sounds like the LCD "cr@pped out".....i would just get it replace if its insured.

|When Emotion Goes Up, Logic Goes Down|

|Even If You Fall On You're Face, You're Still Moving Forward|

Last edited:

nocode99

Dec 6, 2010
Shouldn't the pictures be on the SD card?
Do you both have a s3? If you both have one and they are both rooted and both have the non touch clockworkmod recovery, you could boot both into recovery and use yours as a visual to make a backup of the rom and data on hers which will save on the SD card.

No, it's installed on the device as she never put a SD card in and it wasn't rooted. I guess I can use the Android SDK to extract the contents? That's what I'm checking out now. She never backed up anything and I want to try and get her pictures off the phone

Da Kine

Apr 25, 2011
Santa Rosa, Ca
No, it's installed on the device as she never put a SD card in and it wasn't rooted. I guess I can use the Android SDK to extract the contents? That's what I'm checking out now. She never backed up anything and I want to try and get her pictures off the phone

Im not sure if you can, I've personally haven't tried it, sorry i couldn't help then.

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
If USB recognises it plug it in and go through the contents from a computer?

T-Mobile SGS III

nocode99

Dec 6, 2010
She has a pattern-password so there seems to be no way around it. I can't see anything and no touch screen. My computer recognizes the device, but when I open it, there's nothing to click on.

My search has come up empty on how to get media on an internal storage on a broken LCD screen. I'd imagine there has to be a way...

nocode99

Dec 6, 2010
She has a pattern-password so there seems to be no way around it. I can't see anything and no touch screen. My computer recognizes the device, but when I open it, there's nothing to click on.

My search has come up empty on how to get media on an internal storage on a broken LCD screen. I'd imagine there has to be a way...

I think I'm SOL on this since I doubt my GF enabled USB debugging which prevents me from even using the SDK or ADB. Thanks guys

Xcor3

Aug 14, 2010
Since she got a new one, try using that one as a guide to pass the password pattern.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app