If LG doesn't support the G2, this will be bad for upgraders

Search This thread

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
I have to say this here, if LG does not give the G2/Optimus G2 a software upgrade to take advantage of the new UI found in the G3, and some LG features in the next 7months after the T-Mobile G3, this is bad bad news.

Yes, the G2 has KnockOn and KitKat now. If the G2 never gets the improved UI of the G3, when the G4 comes out, G3 owners will be left without features. LG needs to support their devices, and I hope they continue.

I love my G3, but I really wish this was a new Nexus phone, because G2 and G3 users may have to wait ages for Android L after whenever it comes out.

Last edited:

blackangst

Jun 25, 2008
Phoenix
Rule #1 of buying a new phone... Never buy it for what it COULD be... The phone functions perfectly fine on stock firmware... And there is only a few things in the LG G3 that have more function than what the G2 comes with now..... Its a pretty big upgrade physically, but not too much under the hood.

^^^^THIS.

rfunderburk39

Nov 8, 2010
NMB
LG has done much better at supporting their devices than Motorola. Just ask all of us that bought Cliq, Cliq2, and the other model (I can't recall it's name). On purchasing the device it had a release date for gingerbread. The date was moved back for 2+ years only to have Motorola state it device was unable to run gingerbread. Within two months Motorola released a exact clone of the Cliq2 in Korea.
Leaving all stock phones on android 1.6, which is a huge difference to 2.3.
Manufacturers are in the business to make $$$$, at some point they will drop updates. If a user gets 18 months of updates, consider ourselves lucky. Just my two cents.

Sent from my hammerhead using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

PsychoKilla666

Jul 5, 2009
LG has done much better at supporting their devices than Motorola. Just ask all of us that bought Cliq, Cliq2, and the other model (I can't recall it's name). On purchasing the device it had a release date for gingerbread. The date was moved back for 2+ years only to have Motorola state it device was unable to run gingerbread. Within two months Motorola released a exact clone of the Cliq2 in Korea.
Leaving all stock phones on android 1.6, which is a huge difference to 2.3.
Manufacturers are in the business to make $$$$, at some point they will drop updates. If a user gets 18 months of updates, consider ourselves lucky. Just my two cents.

While I agree with you, LG is also just as guilty, Motorola has stepped up their updating as of late, hopefully it will last with Lenovo. I have never seen an update for LG F6 a nice midranger. I feel in the Android 4+ era the manufacturer should support a minimum of 12 months or at least 1 Android upgrade. With flagships this should be 18 months, especially since flagships have stagnated in the last 3 generations. I don't see how they can keep up these incremental updates and expect people to shell out $500+ unsubsidized or subsidized. I guess they assume whoever couldn't upgrade last year, will this year, but when the following update is once again nearly the same performance, I myself would not upgrade and hope people are smart enough to see that. Luckily thanks to xda we don't have too much to worry about, but I feel the manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot. If this trend continues I see people going for the upper level bang-for-buck midrangers and upgrading those every 2 years. Just my thoughts, sorry for the rant

rfunderburk39

Nov 8, 2010
NMB
FYI it's not just Motorola, all manufacturers are guilty. My daughters last two phones have not had one update. One an HTC and one an LG.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rule #1 of buying a new phone... Never buy it for what it COULD be... The phone functions perfectly fine on stock firmware... And there is only a few things in the LG G3 that have more function than what the G2 comes with now..... Its a pretty big upgrade physically, but not too much under the hood.